GDS 'Favourite Wrestler Ever' Quarters Finals RESULTS/DISCUSSION

keefmoon

[B]Triple H (21) [/B]def Randy Savage (18) & Sting (13) [B]Bret Hart (41)[/B] def Hulk Hogan (11) [B]The Undertaker (34)[/B] def The Rock (18) [B]Ric Flair (29)[/B] def Mr Perfect (23) ---------------------------------------------------- Finally Hogan is out. Man, it took you guys long enough! :p That Flair/Hennig one was great to count up. Everytime Flair pulled away a bit, Hennig pulled back. At one point late on they were just two apart. I'm a bit disappointed about the Triple H thing. Sure, he's talented, but more popular than Sting, who WAS the WCW for much of the time and ridiculously over at one point? And more popular than Savage? I loved Savage! :(

I'm really surprised by Sting's omission. He was Flair's second hand man in being the main stay and strength of WCW. He had so many great moments, over 10-15 years. He was excellent in the ring, adaptable, and good on the stick. Even better when he didn't use it, when he came back as an outcast in the rafters it was amazing. He was my favourite wrestler of the '90s, no ifs, no buts.

[QUOTE=tristram;209206]I'm really surprised by Sting's omission. He was Flair's second hand man in being the main stay and strength of WCW. He had so many great moments, over 10-15 years. He was excellent in the ring, adaptable, and good on the stick. Even better when he didn't use it, when he came back as an outcast in the rafters it was amazing. He was my favourite wrestler of the '90s, no ifs, no buts.[/QUOTE] He's up there in my faves of the 90s. Loved him. Unfortunately I think some people on here didn't watch WCW, and are probably basing it on his TNA work.

Yep, you're probably right keefy. That's no hit to anyone, because I don't think there's anyone here who's really watched every spot of wrestling for the last 30 years :) It's a diverse game. But, if people can get footage of Sting sitting in the rafters, coming down and clearing house on the nWo, the promos he cut without using a microphone but a simple baseball bat and a lack of emotion, the taped "This....is......Sting" voiceover, and of course a terrific wrestler to boot. I don't think people thought the surfer gimmick Sting would get better, but somehow Sting transformed that into a demonic avenger gimmick and defied odds in storylines. Pity that after Starrcade, just like the rest of the WCW roster, they didn't know how to use him properly. Starrcade '97 was WCW's zenith, everything after that was an unbelievable disappointment of epic proportions and unfortunately Sting, who should have right then and there been WCW's franchise for the next 10 years, was held back for Hogananomics.

[QUOTE=keefmoon;209207]He's up there in my faves of the 90s. Loved him. Unfortunately I think some people on here didn't watch WCW, and are probably basing it on his TNA work.[/QUOTE] I based it off his WCW work. Surfer Sting, while the top face of the promotion, was still a typical WCW gimmick. And The Crow rip off Sting? exactly that, a cheap rip off of the Crow. Still, at this point in the voting it could go a number of ways - everybody belongs there (although it would have been nice to see some of the old school make it to the finals). Sting is the biggest wrestling name to never work for the big boys (WWE). Pretty much everyone else from the past 20 years of wrestling has at least had a run there, but not Sting.

In no way to be in offense to anyone, but this list makes me laugh a little. Not saying this as a knock to anyone even the people listed. HHH- The guy most Internet fans seemed to hate in the last 5 years. All that stuff about he gets the pushes only because who his wife. (Though I think people go to far it and disagree with them.) Undertaker- Great worker though he has never carried the company as the front man. (Not a knock to him at all, part of it is that he let people get over on him.) Bret Hart- Was in WWF during the low periods. After he leaves they get huge. Goes to WCW and does nothing. (Though I dislike him I do not blame him for either of the two things it just happens to be what happened.) Ric Flair- Okay he is the man.

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;209259]Bret Hart is the only real surprise to me. I would pick several people over him, but alas, if only I could take away "free will" of the people.[/QUOTE] damn liberty! I am pretty made up that triple H got this far 'cos im a huge fan. But judging by people's opinion of him on here i cant see him going any further. Its a shame really, people say he's overated, but i was watching a few of his match's tonight and you really have to admire his in-ring ability, his performances circa late 90's were top draw.

[QUOTE=panix04;209265]damn liberty! I am pretty made up that triple H got this far 'cos im a huge fan. But judging by people's opinion of him on here i cant see him going any further. Its a shame really, people say he's overated, but i was watching a few of his match's tonight and you really have to admire his in-ring ability, his performances circa late 90's were top draw.[/QUOTE] I was a HHH fan LONG BEFORE I realised he was part of the family. So I'm not changing just because someone tells me he's only good because he's married to Stephanie. I think he's one of the most intense, in ring he does wrestle when he feels like it, and like I said, I just can't justify all the sudden changing because he's in the McMahan family.. Then again, I'm a fan of Vince's character. I cannot think of ANYONE in the world that could pull off what he does... I would crack up trying to walk down the ramp the way he does, Just wouldn't be able to hold it. The stuff that comes out his mouth is so silly, there is no way I would be able to actually look mad when I said some of the obviously ridiculous things he's said. So, maybe it just made me like HHH more in the long run, I don't know, lol.

Archived