Getting crushed!!

I just got this game and have been plodding along... It has been hard to find out how to use the moves in order to win a match. When I first started I had some good success... but I think lately I have lost 90% of my matches. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. What should I be doing? What am I not looking at? I just can never get anyone pinned... and my finishing moves are impossible to pull off...

While specific strategies are hard to lay out without knowing your wrestler's Style, it's generally advisable to stick with Low Level moves for as long as you can. After you wear the opponent down to at least half of his starting energy, then start in with the Medium and High level moves. If you find yourself in trouble early on (and aren't roleplaying a Blue Eye), try to take the match to the outside. Unless you are in a gimmick match, the opponent can not beat you on the outside of the ring. If your wrestler is any type of mat worker, target a body part and work it the entire match. A lot of big moves require strong legs/arms/etc.; therefore, if you can take out a limb (or damage it enough), the opponent can not use his finisher. Always scout out your opponent before the match. And finally, do not be afraid to use your Fighting Spirit in unconventional ways. For a long time, I would only use my Spirit to save myself from being pinned - but I found if you use to it stop the opponent's next big move, you can save yourself sooner. Good luck!

I guess I feel silly, but I haven't been able to find the help file. Where do I look for it? Also, my fighter is just a middleweight/regular wrestler. I tried to keep it generic to start because I wasn't sure what all the options meant.

Found the help files... and they really helped me understand my problems. I didn't understand that you had to use finishers or success > 0% to finish a match. I thought I could just tire them out and "pin opponent". So - My question is: Why would you ever "pin opponent"? Also - if I am low on energy in a one on one match... is there any way I can recover it? Or do I just go for finishers and hope for the best? Thanks,

[QUOTE]Why would you ever "pin opponent"?[/QUOTE] You would pin an opponent to win the match of course, I don't understand what you mean. If you mean WHEN to pin then the only time it will have any chance of working is if you've hit them with a Finisher or a High level move that has a decent success rate. Like the Big Legdrop has a 5% chance of getting a pin but I generally don't bother going for a cover after hitting one. But I have won with say the Implant DDT even after regular Finishers have failed me, it's just up to the roll of the computer dice when you get the pin. And of course if the AI still has Spirit left then they can use some to increase their odds of a kickout (I think it cuts the success rate in half like an 80% success becomes 40%, but don't quote me on that). For your second question, the answer is no, the only time you can recover energy is in a tag team match, anyone not tagged in recovers something like 5 energy a minute or turn, something along those lines. No timeouts to rest during a match though, it would be pretty pointless since anytime you rested would also mean your opponent would recharge as well.

Thanks - I guess I still didn't understand. I thought that the finishers would automatically pin. I didn't understand you needed to manually pin after applying them. Wow - there is so much to this game that isn't readily apparent (at least to me). Hopefully now that I understand... I will have a chance :)

• 1 month later...
I notice that, despite doing quite alot of road work and speed and flexibility work, I still never speed up. Also, if you can only pin after a finisher/high move, why do some low and medium moves have pins incorporated into them? Do they count the move previous to this one if it was a finisher?

Wouldn't that be a good idea though? To allow moves which incorporate pins to take the success from the previous move if that was a finisher? After all, wrestlers do pin on backslides sometimes, and fairly often on schoolboys.

That debate was pretty strong not too long after the game came out. While it is true that backslides, small packages, sunset flips, and the like have been known to end matches, it's basically a dinosaur. Granted, I do agree that those moves should have the opportunity to end matches, but I can see where Mr. Ryland is coming from in not having it as such in the original data. Modern era 'wrestling' (if you want to call it that) isn't very keen on such endings. In the DOTT scenario (early 80s wrestling), I made 'Late Inning' variants to these moves - so if you want a small package to finish the match, you can either edit the existing move as a finisher, or create a new one.

Another idea that I implemented was to simply create my own finishing move. Steve Grant wouldn't be the same without the Inferno Kick, anyway. Maximum frequency rate for finishers is 40%, but with a success rate of 99% when the move hits the match is more or less over. Technically if you wanna be cheap, you can make it so that you can use it to counter every situation, but since the Inferno Kick's a superkick, I myself limited the counters to front-facing situations.

Archived