Favourite PPVs

keefmoon

A lot went into it flopping imo as a ppv. First of all, Sting was really out shape from not wrestling in so long. WCW made a mistake by not having him doing dark matches or house shows or anything. Hell even in front of no crowd. He just didn't have the gas to go. Secondly, the fast count crap was total bs. Hogan paying off Patrick to no sell the fast count angle is the worst part of it all. Not only was the angle dumb, but it didn't even happen. Ugh. Horrible turn of events. Kevin Nash not showing up to wrestle the Giant. Ugh. That was the show that would put them over the top for good. Sting wins the title, the nWo falls apart, etc. Hart is a face and has a feud with Hogan after that match that finally lets Hart go over Hogan. Raven moves into the main event maybe to feud with Sting over the title. Sigh. So much they could have done.

The fast count was abymsal. Why do it? And then the worst part was this, it wasn't really a fast count - when I watch it again, it seems a relatively normal 3 count. Sting doesn't kick out, not even 10 seconds later. So what the heck is Sting thinking? Sting is supposed to be near invincible after wiping through the nWo, but here, the man who cr@ps himself at the mere sight of him delivers the stinky leg drop, and he can't it seems beat the 10 count. Bret Hart's interference at that point is stupid, because we're all watching thinking wow that's sad, Sting got beaten by a normal count. The poor guy looks lifeless. And then not long after, Bret Hart somehow is masscarading around as an nWo sympathiser, what was up with that? Was Hogan not willing to job to him or something so they had to turn him heel? There was no decent reason for Hart to go heel after Starrcade, none. Zilch. Himself and Sting should have been the most over faces in the history of professional wrestling, right then and there on that night. Instead, within a year, Sting is largely out of the main event, has to himself turn heel for a short period because face Sting is no longer believable, and Bret Hart meanders through the upper midcard while Hogan and Nash and friends dominate the main event. ARGGGHHHH!!!

[QUOTE=keefmoon;225135]That sounds just about perfect. How the bookers couldn't see this is beyond me. And so is how Hogan could be such an arrogant pr*ck. I always thought that if Hart had to be involved, then maybe have a couple of nWo people come down and start beating on Sting, and have Hart come down to the ring and clean house on everyone except Hogan and Sting, giving Sting the chance to Stinger Splash/Death Drop/Death Lock his way to winning the title. Maybe have Hart hand him the title in a sign of respect as the locker room comes down to celebrate.[/QUOTE] Good idea, the only thing is, does Bret Hart then steal Sting's pop from the crowd? Like, at the end of the night, perhaps the focus should 90% be on Sting, 10% Hart, perhaps that way might make it a little more towards Hart and take the emphasis off Sting holding aloft the belt? Just a thought, but I like your thinking as always ;)

[QUOTE=tristram;225399]Good idea, the only thing is, does Bret Hart then steal Sting's pop from the crowd? Like, at the end of the night, perhaps the focus should 90% be on Sting, 10% Hart, perhaps that way might make it a little more towards Hart and take the emphasis off Sting holding aloft the belt? Just a thought, but I like your thinking as always ;)[/QUOTE] Yeah, it probably would have taken away from Sting a bit, but if there was enough time between Hart interfering and Sting winning, the Hart thing would have worn off. For example, say Hall and Nash are beating up Sting when Sting was ready to beat Hogan. Hart runs down, takes out Hall and Nash, and hence leaves Sting alone with Ohgan. The Stinger then gets to have his way with Hogan for a bit before making him tap out. The fans would pop at Hart saving the Stinger, then come down enough to give Sting a huge pop when he later wins. That's just my thinking, anyway. Yours does seem better, though. In the close to the match, there should have definitely been a no-sell by Sting from a Hogan Leg Drop. That would be the ultimate passing of the torch moment.

[QUOTE=flamebrain;222249] Summerslam 1998 - The Highway to Hell promos were really sucking me in. [/QUOTE] This one stands pretty vividly in my memory too. The Highway to Hell promos for that show are about the best of all time, and they lived up to it with some strong matches. Val vs. Chest Protector D-Lo was a good one, X-Pac-JJ hair match, The Lions Den match with Shamrock & Owen, HHH-Rock in a forgotten but awesome ladder and SCSA vs. Taker in a huge main event. I had a party for that pay-per-view where about 20 people came and I charged $5 each except for the girls so I made out about $50 ahead too! :D

[QUOTE=tristram;225398]The fast count was abymsal. Why do it? And then the worst part was this, it wasn't really a fast count - when I watch it again, it seems a relatively normal 3 count. Sting doesn't kick out, not even 10 seconds later. So what the heck is Sting thinking? Sting is supposed to be near invincible after wiping through the nWo, but here, the man who cr@ps himself at the mere sight of him delivers the stinky leg drop, and he can't it seems beat the 10 count. Bret Hart's interference at that point is stupid, because we're all watching thinking wow that's sad, Sting got beaten by a normal count. The poor guy looks lifeless. And then not long after, Bret Hart somehow is masscarading around as an nWo sympathiser, what was up with that? Was Hogan not willing to job to him or something so they had to turn him heel? There was no decent reason for Hart to go heel after Starrcade, none. Zilch. Himself and Sting should have been the most over faces in the history of professional wrestling, right then and there on that night. Instead, within a year, Sting is largely out of the main event, has to himself turn heel for a short period because face Sting is no longer believable, and Bret Hart meanders through the upper midcard while Hogan and Nash and friends dominate the main event. ARGGGHHHH!!![/QUOTE] I guess you don't know the details of what happened. Apparently, the match was originally booked to be a clean loss by Hogan. He nixed the idea and they compromised on the whole "fast count" bit. The rumor however, is that before the match he paid Nick Patrick personally to count a normal count. Obviously that's what happened as you yourself pointed out. There was no fast count even though that was the angle. After that, Hogan's boys were not interested in jobbing to Hart so they couldn't make him a big time face and they didn't want him taking their spotlight so they just lumped him into the nwo as a lackey.

That's the most conceited and selfish thing I've ever heard in my life. The fact is, Sting had to go over clean. That's the only way that could have happened. Still, nonetheless I'm a bit disappointed in Sting given he just laid there, I mean even after the count is finished, Sting just lays there. It's not like he's fighting to get up. Even as Hogan goes to grab the title, and Patrick demands the bell to be rung (and then get's his rung by Hart), Sting lays motionless in the centre of the ring. Why didn't Sting look frustrated? At that moment, he looks a badly beaten man, who looked like he'd be unable to beat the 20 count let alone the 3 count. That's the part I don't understand, and never will. Sting as well had a part in destroying his own momentum, his own believability as a vengeance warrior who defies the odds. I wonder if he could have possibly thought about the symbolism of lying down in the centre of the ring like that would practically be how it was in a few years time for WCW, unable to answer the count and lying lame and lifeless in the centre of the ring after much hype to the contrary. If Patrick was really paid off, why wasn't he sacked?

I watched it again on youtube, was a fairly standard count. As I say though, while that's damning enough on the future of WCW, Sting to me semi-ruined his own career by how he reacted - he never once kicked out, and laid out like a light for what seemed half a minute. Even if Patrick "screwed him", he should have had the ring presence to kick out straight after the 3rd hand went down. He never moved. He WAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY oversold the Leg Drop given the build up he'd had as being the martyr of WCW and being basically impregnable to the entire nWo. The other thing that was funny about that match is Buff Bagwell and Scott Norton run in, Sting lowers both of them, but Norton just rolls to the outside and is in perfect shape just standing around at ringside. He should have sold it, otherwise why wouldn't he have interfered again to get a DQ result for Hogan? The whole match booking makes no sense, except from Hollywood Hogan's political perspective.

Best PPV personally for me has to be SummerSlam 1992.... For a few simple reasons: Bret Hart Vs British Bulldog. It was the first PPV held outside the US / Canada (and the only of the big PPV's since) oh........ and .... I WAS THERE!! 10 ROWS FROM THE RING!! YAAAAAAAAAAA! Well....... being 13 at the time and still thinking it was real, this was one of the best things Id ever seen..... and unfortunately the last time Id seen WWE live ... though hoping to go to the Survivor Series UK Tour this year :D

[QUOTE=joose2001;226449] though hoping to go to the Survivor Series UK Tour this year :D[/QUOTE] Tickets are already on sale for that, man! I think there are still some left through [url]www.bookingsdirect.com[/url] for the Smackdown taping!

[QUOTE=tristram;226274]I watched it again on youtube, was a fairly standard count. As I say though, while that's damning enough on the future of WCW, Sting to me semi-ruined his own career by how he reacted - he never once kicked out, and laid out like a light for what seemed half a minute. Even if Patrick "screwed him", he should have had the ring presence to kick out straight after the 3rd hand went down. He never moved. He WAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY oversold the Leg Drop given the build up he'd had as being the martyr of WCW and being basically impregnable to the entire nWo. The other thing that was funny about that match is Buff Bagwell and Scott Norton run in, Sting lowers both of them, but Norton just rolls to the outside and is in perfect shape just standing around at ringside. He should have sold it, otherwise why wouldn't he have interfered again to get a DQ result for Hogan? The whole match booking makes no sense, except from Hollywood Hogan's political perspective.[/QUOTE] I agree. Sting also hurt himself by being in awful shape both physically and ring shape. The match was a total clunker even before the fast count nonsense.

I guess in reality Sting wouldn't have appeared too bad if the match was worked right, given he was up against old steel hip Orange M&M (tm) (c) (r) himself. I wonder if he worked any matches in the Power Plant over the weeks leading into the Starrcade match or if he just went in cold after an extended period out of the ring?

Here's what I have read about the Starcade nightmare. (This is mostly from Bischoff's book so I'm sure it's not 100 percent true) Sting was suppose to win cleanly over Hogan (that was obvious to everyone I think) but when Sting came in to go over the match or what have you Hogan complained that Sting didn't look lke he'd seen a gym or a tanning bed in months and in his opinion didn't look "worthy" of beating Hogan cleanly. So he came up with the "fast count" ending, and I guess Bischoff ok'ed it, but for whatever reason beyond even "the great" Eric Bischoff, for what ever reason Nick Patrick didn't do a fast count and the ending was bosched even more than what it was suppose to be. As for my favorite PPV I've gotta go with WM 10 the ladder match between Razon and Michaels made me a "Bad Guy" fan for a very very long time.

[QUOTE=mad5226;227374]Here's what I have read about the Starcade nightmare. (This is mostly from Bischoff's book so I'm sure it's not 100 percent true) Sting was suppose to win cleanly over Hogan (that was obvious to everyone I think) but when Sting came in to go over the match or what have you Hogan complained that Sting didn't look lke he'd seen a gym or a tanning bed in months and in his opinion didn't look "worthy" of beating Hogan cleanly. So he came up with the "fast count" ending, and I guess Bischoff ok'ed it, but for whatever reason beyond even "the great" Eric Bischoff, for what ever reason Nick Patrick didn't do a fast count and the ending was bosched even more than what it was suppose to be. As for my favorite PPV I've gotta go with WM 10 the ladder match between Razon and Michaels made me a "Bad Guy" fan for a very very long time.[/QUOTE] :) :) Hogan had looked in dreadful shape for the past 5 years. He should have been jobbing out to Yuji Nagata, Alex Wright, Magnum Tokyo, Johnny Grunge, Super Calo and Ciclope night in night out if that was his reasoning. Man, Hogan is the master of politics!

I couldnt agree with you more man, it's amazing that some crap like that was able to be pulled. On a side note though, that just boosts my respect for Sting that much more. I get the feeling he got the short end of the stick alot in WCW when it came to crap like thatbut in the end he maned up and did what he was asked to do. If more people would've followed his example wrestling would be completly differant now.

Archived