How to get better at TEW 2007

this is gonna irritate some people coz im sure there has been loads of threads like this one, but regardless... im kinda struggling with TEW 2007 right now. i made a Cornellverse adaptation mod with a few extra promotions and wrestlers, most created by me and some real wrestlers from 1RC. but everytime i try and start a game i never get further than three months into the game. so i tried running a small promotion and making it bigger. i started my own promotion at small level, in Japan...and went bankrupt after a year and a half so coz i dont know what else to do, i think i need some advice on playing the game coz i freaking love it, but...i kinda...suck what id really like is like 5-10 easy tips or general advice for a) taking young stars and making them superstars (e.g. Samoan Machine in GCG or Masaru Ugaki in PGHW), b) how to play a game with a small promotion and not go out of business, and c) how to make a promotion more popular without using a lot of angles any advice would be greatly appreciated

On the angles thing: Change your match ratio to 80% matches and you should be able to get away with twenty percent angles. Keeping a small promotion in business is just about business savvy. When booking, keep your total show costs lower than what you expect to profit. Total cost being EVERYTHING that costs money within the process of booking your show. Again, I stress EVERYTHING. I like to get a rough total of what a given show will cost (production, venue, entertainment, blah blah blah so on and so forth) before booking it. Once I have a number, I book the show accordingly. So if my total cost (not including workers) is say $20,000, then how much do I want to spend staffing the show? Well, if I expect to sell out a 5,000 seat venue at $9 a ticket (for a $45,000 total) then I assume that I have roughly $25,000 to play with. This being the case, how much do I want to spend staffing the show and how much of that do I want to pocket. Me, I'd like to keep at least $15,000 off of the show in question so I wouldn't be looking to spend anymore than ten grand staffing the show. I also suggest raising your ticket prices by four dollars across the boards. Eh, it's not much but my brain aches atm. I'll post more AS i think of it or add to someone elses reply. Just a few tips for now. And don't sweat that you had to ask for suggestions/advice, we were all new to this once.

Make sure at smaller levels you're only running 30-60 minute shows and using only four or five people. If you run a small promotion like in reality or like they are a bigger promotion, you'll go bankrupt. Also, you can't effectively "develop" workers until you're Cult, maybe Regional if you have the money.

[QUOTE=the ismailite;255463]On the angles thing: Change your match ratio to 80% matches and you should be able to get away with twenty percent angles.[/QUOTE] Ten percent angles. [QUOTE=Anubis;255466]Also, you can't effectively "develop" workers until you're Cult, maybe Regional if you have the money.[/QUOTE] Patently false. Perhaps it's different for the men but the above isn't anywhere near true, given my experiences. Besides, if it is different for the men, that difference is offset by the fact that you have like eleventy billion development candidates to choose from. There are some people who believe developing workers equates to making them international icons. I don't. In my view, developing workers means making them BETTER than they were before, on a continual basis. The only thing preventing that from happening are skill and/or overness caps. Not promotion size and not promotion money.

I haven't played the game much recently and am only just about to start a new game myself, but given that I play as a small promotion, here's what I'd suggest in terms of 10 tips as you asked. Sorry if this seems very basic. And if I've said anything that's badly off course, someone please step in and set the record straight. As I said, its a while since I actually played myself! 1) User character - I try to keep this at least fairly realistic (not giving godlike stats across the board) but I do give my user character decent announcing, mic and charisma stats as well as respect. I then use my character as announcer/colour (can cover both positions with those skills) and he counts towards a locker room leader. This helps out when you're running a small promotion to start with as you don't need to worry about paying anyone for your announce positions and don't have to hire more expensive wrestlers just to keep order in the locker room. 2) As Remi said, give yourself 10% angles as a start point as this gives you a decent bit of leeway. With this you can run a show completely without angles (which I often will do as I start with ROF) and then as and when you wish you can add a few angles to your shows. 3) Don't go booking beyond your means - if you can't afford to run weekly shows at first, then don't run them. Run a monthly show. Yes, your progress will be reduced and you'll need to be patient. But at least it will stop the money bleeding a little. 4) As has already been said, run short shows to start with. You gain precious little with a small promotion from running more than a half hour show. I generally run a half hour show with maybe 3 singles matches. Again, as ROF, I would use British Samurai on every single show as he's on a lifetime contract and I'm paying him anyway. If you want to develop workers, get your best worker to have a match on the main show and put him in a dark match against someone you want to improve as well. In TEW2007, as your show rating is based more on your whole show ratings rather than just the last 2 matches as it was in 2005, if you only have a short show with limited matches, you're likely to have fewer dud matches to lower your overall show rating. 5) How to make a promotion popular without using angles? You simply need good matches to make your shows good. So keep a close eye on chemistry. I always keep chemistry spreadsheets to help with this. Again I'll try not to be unrealistic by booking the same match every single show, but if you can find 2 workers with chemistry, their match ratings will be better (sometimes significantly so in a smaller fed) and this can help you grow more quickly. Keep tabs on what grades workers get together and make sure your likely higher graded bouts end up as your main event. If 2 people have bad chemistry, don't have them face off again. 6) Forget tag teams at first. When money is tight, just go with singles matches to keep your costs down. Once you are steadier with finance, that's the time to start building your tag division. 7) Use dark matches (once you can afford to). Not only are they the best place to develop your workers in a smaller promotion, but you can also test combinations for chemistry, and put workers in tag teams to see if you can find any teams with chemistry as well. Always make sure your final dark segment is reasonable though so that it doesn't bring the start of your main show down. 8) When you aren't in danger of bankrupting yourself, use your dark time to have a battle royal. It will keep wrestlers happy who might otherwise feel underused, and also you tend to get quite a few skill improvements. Throw a couple of good workers into the ring with a few who need skills boosts. 9) Do research on where to hold your events. As I tend to work the UK as ROF, my 'base' is the Midlands. However I'll get more people showing up in the South for my shows because of the statistics for that area. So I'll focus my attention there first and build that area up. Once I'm running at a profit I'll perhaps start to look at the other areas of the country. 10) Talent trades - set up as many as you can when you're a small company. As ROF I'll often try to sign guys like JD Morgan, Harry Wilson, Barry Griffin who have some overness overseas. This means I can send someone like Wilson off to Canada and get a low-level Canadian worker that can go in the ring to help out my shows. Last time I played, NOTBPW signed Frankie Perez, who had no overness to speak of in Canada. I could send them Harry Wilson and get Perez in return, who was only working for $105 per show. He wouldn't even have been available to me in the UK otherwise. I did similarly in Japan, getting SUKI in exchange for Griffin. Granted this is more useful with feds where in-ring skills are more important, but from your initial post it would appear they are the feds you're likely to want to use. Ok...my work here is done. Hope some of this made some sense and didn't all seem too blatantly obvious.

[QUOTE]Keeping a small promotion in business is just about business savvy. When booking, keep your total show costs lower than what you expect to profit.[/QUOTE] I guess I'd like to comment on this since pretty much all I do is run promotions from local (with $2500 to start) up as high as I can get them. The 2 points I want to say is that at local/small your going to want to approximately break even every month. The balance sheet of one particular show will be a loss (even if your workers have 100-150PPA) but the balance at the end of the month should be about even. If you have very little money like in my case you'll be limited to one show a month. Only hold shows in one region. The whole goal is to get your popularity high as fast as possible so that each individual show starts making a profit (and thus you can start holding multiple shows a month and move into other areas). [QUOTE]Patently false. Perhaps it's different for the men but the above isn't anywhere near true, given my experiences. Besides, if it is different for the men, that difference is offset by the fact that you have like eleventy billion development candidates to choose from. There are some people who believe developing workers equates to making them international icons. I don't. In my view, developing workers means making them BETTER than they were before, on a continual basis. The only thing preventing that from happening are skill and/or overness caps. Not promotion size and not promotion money.[/QUOTE] I agree with Ramianen, but would like to add my comments from my experiences (ie starting at local and moving up). With local/small women's promotion with little money you are more likely to keep female workers over multiple years as in general they are cheaper and are less likely to be working for multiple promotions. With the one integrated promotion I ran, $100 PPA male workers typically got snapped up by other promotions thus increasing thier overness and then by the time thier contract came up for renegotiation it's now a $450 - 600 PPA contract (and out of my price range). Thus development kind of ceased. [QUOTE]Make sure at smaller levels you're only running 30-60 minute shows and using only four or five people.[/QUOTE] I would say 60 minutes but that would be dependant on your match length. That's just my preference though...I've never held shows less than 60 minutes. As far as the number of workers that depends on the cost of your workers. [QUOTE]b) how to play a game with a small promotion and not go out of business[/QUOTE] At local and at the lower overness range of small you should be able to through just about any show together and get the "This show can be considered a success. It should have increased our popularity." So I would say all your workers should all be below $250 PPA and keep your contracts low until your stuggling to increase your promotions overness (there is leeway depending on your finances month to month). I had a bunch of tips quite a while ago in another thread that I'll see if I can dig up. OP, note that if you have given your small promotion more money you can obviously change your strategy compared to me but I still think the goal should be to get your popularity up in one region as quickly as possible. Anyway my advice is based on 3 bankrupted attempts and 1 successful attempt at starting a promotion on rock hard. In my current game I've gone from local with $2500 to nearly cult and ~$250,000. I think the game year is currently 2011 but I'll need to confirm that once I get home.

An addendum to #7: you can use workers more than once per show. So having a developmental talent work a dark match against one of your stars who is going to work the main show anyway, gets you two for the price of 1 (as far as the star is concerned).

Again for you very small feds, bump up your ticket prices by 4 dollars and you will definitely appreciate the gains. I say 4 bucks because that is the max I've been able to go up without fans complaining (attendance drops of major proportions). I've never played with a fed smaller than NYCW but in my experiences, running a half hour show a week with two matches and four workers can be profitable everytime out. Again, factor in the costs of EVERYTHING beforehand and book accordingly.

Archived