Reliable Jobber

flamebrain

I think in Val's case they couldn't get his heat back to the level it was pre RTS, but because he was so skilled a wrestler they didn't want to outright fire him, so he became their job man. Funaki is in much the same boat, skilled enough, but after TAKA left he didn't have the draw he used to have (although his "Number 1 Smackdown Announcer" gimmick was funny).

[QUOTE=Vladamire Dracos;259572]I think in Val's case they couldn't get his heat back to the level it was pre RTS, but because he was so skilled a wrestler they didn't want to outright fire him, so he became their job man. Funaki is in much the same boat, skilled enough, but after TAKA left he didn't have the draw he used to have (although his "Number 1 Smackdown Announcer" gimmick was funny).[/QUOTE] The weird thing is that Funaki tends to get a great reaction whenever he's used. I'm not too sure why it is that he's been relegated to jobber duty when he gets a decent-ish face pop every time he turns up.

Who do you push the guy though? All of his gimmicks are rediculous. Either he speaks in dubbed English or he is "Smakdon... numba one announssa!!" Although both gimmicks I like... it just doesnt bleed a good push. He is unpushable in the sports entertainment world. How many Asian steretypes can you tag on him?

[QUOTE=AfRoMaN36;259717]Who do you push the guy though? All of his gimmicks are rediculous. Either he speaks in dubbed English or he is "Smakdon... numba one announssa!!" Although both gimmicks I like... it just doesnt bleed a good push. He is unpushable in the sports entertainment world. How many Asian steretypes can you tag on him?[/QUOTE] I'd push him as "Jackie Chan's wrestling half-cousin" myself. Have him modify his wrestling style to be more like Chan's comical fighting style and have fun with it, I'm sure he'd get over enough to at least put the cruiserweight title on him (or hire Jay Leathal to be his tag partner and play off Rush Hour). ..... Yes, I'm a very poor, poor booker. :p

Guest The Aussie
[QUOTE=shamelessposer;259683]The weird thing is that Funaki tends to get a great reaction whenever he's used. I'm not too sure why it is that he's been relegated to jobber duty when he gets a decent-ish face pop every time he turns up.[/QUOTE] Speaking of crowd reactions with Funaki, at the New Years eve Indy Summit with teh Kai En Tai DX reunion show he got the biggest pop of the evening when they announced him

[QUOTE=irabowman;259551]I really hate seeing Val jobbed out like he is. I loved his charter when they first came out with it. Sometimes I wonder why do they decide all of a sudden to bury a worker the rest of his carrer and make them a loser.[/QUOTE] you loved his charter? hmmm... check your spelling man. charter and carrer. anyway, yeah I don't think he deserves to keep getting buried. but i guess if he wasn't okay with it, he would be gone by now.

In an ideal world they'd all get the push they deserve but, to be honest, I think these guys are among the more realistic in the business. They are quite happy having a stable job with good pay. Val was probably the only one to have a real brush with the top and of them I think he was the one most likely to make it, but I don't think its that big an issue to him now (maybe at the time...).

Archived