Does Tommy Cornell really have that kind of Money?!

Hey, So I've been playing TEW/EWR for years now. I love the game, and am always excited when the new game comes out! I especially love how the game has evolved over the years and different things have happened to change the wrestling landscape. So it's not just the same thing year in and year out. With that being said, I remember that the old HGC had a starting bank of around 80 million dollars. Which was well over what the SWF had due to JK Stallings Jr. being a rich rich man. haha. So when Cornell bought out the company, That would have been a steep price for a professional wrestler to pay to gain the company in his power. Unless JK sold it for less. I don't know if we ever talked about that? So my real question is do you think TCW would really have as much money as they do to start the game ever since he took over?! I would think that if he bought HGC outright that he would have very little money left over since an 80 million dollar purchase would be ball bustin'. hah. I thought about this cause I thought I would set TCW's actual bank to around 5,000,000. Making it more realistic to what he would have left over after a purchase of a company? What do you think?

Guest The Aussie
That's quite true but It's als o bought up that Cornell aws amongst the most respected on the roster and that JK couldn't cope wiht the leadership role.

True, so in that case JK may have wanted out soo bad that he would have dropped the price of the buyout since he liked Cornell. I may be all over the place with this one, but It's something I started to think about a lot lately while playing my game and trying to run TCW into the ground. haha

Stallings wasn't as crazy about the wrestling business as he thought, so he was eager to sell. I also think you're looking at the meaning of the bank accounts in the wrong way: a lot of the money that HGC had way back in TEW 2004 could very well have been from Stallings' own wallet and not corporate accounts. When Cornell bought out the company's assets, what HGC/TCW had left could have been whatever the company was really worth.

Maybe we're meant to create our own backstories as we play the game. In my own personal CornellVerse, the details of the sale have never been publicly disclosed, and have always been one of the more enduring mysteries of the wrestling world. Some even believe that Stallings is still with the company in some capacity, as he is credited as an 'executive producer' of the Access West Coast original series 'Down For The Count', a show about a mild mannered mailman who moonlights as a masked TCW wrestler. At least that's the story I used. I based the show on a real show called 'Learning The Ropes' that I remember from the 1980's for the record. :)

think about it... it's more than conceivable to think that Cornell, the biggest name in wrestling and a household name, could round up a group of influential investors who could pool together the cash to purchase HGC and it's holdings, with Cornell as the principal owner and shareholder. just a theory. a ton of possibilities. i will admit that i, myself, don't really care for the idea that a wrestler -- even the great and inimitable Cornell -- purchased the company he's the figurehead and cornerstone of. in my games, i always play it out that even HE couldn't balance being behind and in front of the scenes and passed control to the TCW Executive Committee or some such faceless entity. first thing i do when i start a game as TCW is edit that promotion bio ;) but, alas, Cornell *IS* the man :)

shamelessposer is right about looking at the bank accounts the wrong way - the $80 million wouldn't be the price tag on the company, it would simply be how much they had to spend at that point in time, the result of having a billionaire as their owner. From the various biographies, stats and articles you can deduce that Stallings got out of the business on his own terms, rather than being forced out, so the implication is that he struck some sort of deal with Cornell. Although it's never been stated explicitly, there's nothing to suggest TC paid any of his own money at all.

[QUOTE=Adam Ryland;261357]shamelessposer is right about looking at the bank accounts the wrong way - the $80 million wouldn't be the price tag on the company, it would simply be how much they had to spend at that point in time, the result of having a billionaire as their owner. From the various biographies, stats and articles you can deduce that Stallings got out of the business on his own terms, rather than being forced out, so the implication is that he struck some sort of deal with Cornell. Although it's never been stated explicitly, there's nothing to suggest TC paid any of his own money at all.[/QUOTE] I see. This has tax evasion written all over it!

[QUOTE=dvdWarrior;261213] In my own personal CornellVerse, the details of the sale have never been publicly disclosed, and have always been one of the more enduring mysteries of the wrestling world. Some even believe that Stallings is still with the company in some capacity, as he is credited as an 'executive producer' of the Access West Coast original series 'Down For The Count', a show about a mild mannered mailman who moonlights as a masked TCW wrestler.[/QUOTE] That's a pretty cool backstory. Also lends itself to a story where Tommy oversteps his boundaries or goes on some insane power trip and Stallings comes back to try to regain control of TCW.

Thanks guys, this is exactly why I wanted to post this question... As I was sure it was just something I was missing from the story that would make it possible. I can see the theory now that JK wanted out bad so he may have made it really easy for Cornell to take over, and that the original 80 million wasn't truly their bank account but rather the money that was available to use due to his overall income. Thanks for all the info, It helped me a lot and I'm going to move TCW's total amount of money in play up a little more cause now seeing that it was potential that Cornell didn't even pay a cent for it... He would have some money to work with ultimately. Thanks again!

Archived