Congress Goes After Vince

PeterHilton

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2951586[/url] An excerpt: [QUOTE]In a three-page letter dated Friday, Rep. Henry Waxman, the chairman of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, and Tom Davis, its ranking minority member, asked WWE to provide a series of documents intended to give the committee and its investigation a detailed look at WWE's drug-testing policy, including information about the results of performance-enhancing drug tests on pro wrestlers. "The tragic deaths of World Wrestling Entertainment star Chris Benoit and his family have raised questions about reports of widespread use of steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs by professional wrestlers," the congressmen wrote. "These allegations -- which include first-hand reports of steroid use by prominent former wrestlers -- have swirled around the WWE for over a decade. Investigations by journalists have described a culture of performance-enhancing drug use in professional wrestling, high fatality rates among young professional wrestlers, and an inability or unwillingness of WWE to address these problems." The letter from Waxman and Davis described WWE wrestlers as "multimedia stars that have an influence on the behavior and attitudes of the nation's youth." "WWE has a responsibility to do everything possible to eliminate the use of performance-enhancing drugs -- or the perception of such use -- by its wrestlers." The records request is wide ranging, and parallels what was asked of Major League Baseball. It seeks a list of drugs covered by its policies; the entity that conducts its drug testing; the number of tests it conducts annually; the protocols followed after a positive test; and the procedures for awarding exemptions. It also wants hard figures about the number of tests that the WWE conducts each year; the numbers of wrestlers tested; positive results for each specific drug; and the number of positive tests for which wrestlers were penalized. In an attempt to investigate the WWE's reaction to past scandals, the committee is also seeking "the results of any investigations prepared [by the company] regarding the deaths, injuries, or illnesses of current or former professional wrestlers that may have been related to the use of steroids." It adds to the list "all communications between [the company] and outside entities including communications with health care professionals or law enforcement authorities, regarding allegations of drug use by wrestlers." WWE chairman Vince McMahon was given until Aug. 24 to comply. A spokesman for the company had not seen the letter when called for comment Friday afternoon[/QUOTE] While noble in intent, I think this is a bit stupid. The investigation will reveal that the WWE has a policy that, while full of loopholes, does at least try to regulate steroid use. If any good comes of this, hopefully it will be that some more of these shady doctors handing out 0hony prescriptions are investigated. Also, at some point I think someone will point out that there other comapnies besides the WWE and that the industry as a whole will end up being damn near impossible to regulate.

I understand trying to make sure that the WWE doesn't condone steroid use, but you can't hold them responsible for Chris Benoit, any other wrestler on the roster, or the many shady doctors out there... I wont be upset if Congress asks the WWE to revise their wellness policy, but if they charge them with anything (at all) I think that is dumb. Also, the WWE =/= the wrestling industry. If they're going to go after a company, I'd say go after one [I]without[/I] a wellness policy!

[QUOTE=Remianen;269089]Peter, two words for you: bully pulpit.[/QUOTE] I know, I know...it's just a stunt. [QUOTE=mjdgoldeneye;269096] I wont be upset if Congress asks the WWE to revise their wellness policy, but if they charge them with anything (at all) I think that is dumb.[/quote] I don't actuall think they CAN be charged with anything. [QUOTE]Also, the WWE =/= the wrestling industry. If they're going to go after a company, I'd say go after one [I]without[/I] a wellness policy![/QUOTE][/QUOTE] By that you mean "ever other company operating in North America?" :)

I really don't see anything major coming out of this. Congress is just trying to get something done on the steroid issue since they went after baseball. the main reasons they are going after Vince and the WWE is because of Benoit and two, really outside of the IWC and to Mr. J.Q. Public they only know of the WWE and maybe TNA. (why go after a company few will know). Take down the big dog and people will pay attention.

It's about time something happens. I think WWE's "Wellness" program should include a strong influence on rehab. It seems like all the huge guys in the WWE should be given alots of tests, or accurate tests. I seriously doubt that guys on top, like Batista, John Cena, and Khali, have been given the exact same test as the others. Those guys are way too jacked up. Hell, Barry Bonds get's more crap and he doesn't look anything close to them. WWE is the main company, obviously, and they're just about the only company where you would see wrestlers with unfathomable muscles. If you look just about anywhere else in the indy scene, you don't see that, anywhere. There's normal looking wrestlers that don't look like these freakshows you see in the WWE. I really hope someone in the WWE is under alot of suspicion, because it has gotten way too out of hand. Hell, just shut them down if way too many people are in on it.

Meh, seems like a lot of headline grabbing with little substance. I think the WWE could use a boot to actually implement a proper wellness policy as their current loopholed 'it depends how you got them and who from' approach. What's the proposed action should the WWE's documents not be up to satisfaction? Close them down? On what grounds? That they're operating a flawed wellness policy despite being the only organisation that actually seems to? Regulate a completely unregulatable industry? 'Shown to be doing something, but not really doing anything' comes to mind...

Can I ask you something, Travis? Do you have any fricking clue as to what you ae talking about? First off.... [QUOTE=Travis;269110]It's about time something happens. I think WWE's "Wellness" program should include a strong influence on rehab. [/quote] ..they already send workes to rehab. It's part of the Wellness Program. Secondly... [QUOTE]It seems like all the huge guys in the WWE should be given alots of tests, or accurate tests. I seriously doubt that guys on top, like Batista, John Cena, and Khali, have been given the exact same test as the others. Those guys are way too jacked up. Hell, Barry Bonds get's more crap and he doesn't look anything close to them.[/QUOTE] Are you honeslty using Khali as an example of someone who looks liek they're on steroids? REALLY? And I hate to break this to you, but the reason congress came down on steroids in baseball is because IT IS A SPORT. And baseball had NO POLICY AGAINST STEROIDS. (also, Bonds is technicaly in trouble for perjury, not his steroid use) Also, baseball has an anti-trust exemption which means just about any time they do something screwed up congress pulls them in an threatens to take that away form them. [QUOTE]WWE is the main company, obviously, and they're just about the only company where you would see wrestlers with unfathomable muscles. If you look just about anywhere else in the indy scene, you don't see that, anywhere. There's normal looking wrestlers that don't look like these freakshows you see in the WWE. I really hope someone in the WWE is under alot of suspicion, because it has gotten way too out of hand. Hell, just shut them down if way too many people are in on it.[/QUOTE] Again..do you have any clue as to what you are talking about? What, exactly, would be the grounds to shut down the WWE? Are they distributing the drugs? Is there a company policy that forces performers to use steroids? What law, exactly, have they broken? Their Wellness Program is full of loopholes. That's not *actually* a crime. When you look at other wrestling companies, like TNA for example (hired Jeff Hardy after he was released for refusing toi go to rehab, hired Kurt Angle under similar circumstances, still employs Angle and noted juicer Scott Steiner) or AAA (endless drug use horror stories) the WWE is probably one of the cleanest promotion running in the US.

[QUOTE=sebsplex;269118]Meh, seems like a lot of headline grabbing with little substance. I think the WWE could use a boot to actually implement a proper wellness policy as their current loopholed 'it depends how you got them and who from' approach. What's the proposed action should the WWE's documents not be up to satisfaction? Close them down? On what grounds? That they're operating a flawed wellness policy despite being the only organisation that actually seems to? Regulate a completely unregulatable industry? 'Shown to be doing something, but not really doing anything' comes to mind...[/QUOTE] EXACTLY.

[QUOTE=Travis;269110]Hell, just shut them down if way too many people are in on it.[/QUOTE] What world are you living in? In the world I'm in, a multinational corporation found to be strongarming vendors, in THREE DIFFERENT JURISDICTIONS, wasn't shut down by LAW ENFORCEMENT. They came to a settlement with a few half-hearted, useless provisions and agreements and went on with business as usual. If the company I'm referring to doesn't ring a bell, take a look at the operating system your computer is running. WWE is not a sport. It's a multinational entertainment company. Congress can do JACK-ALL to affect their daily operations in any real way. They can pass legislation with amorphous wording that cannot possibly be enforced, but little else. Again, if this tack isn't familiar to you, look up the term 'bully pulpit'. Ever hear of 'election year politics'? Where elected officials push law enforcement to make tons of bogus arrests so they can get in front of TV cameras and say how they're 'tough on crime'? Vince McMahon is a MAJOR contributor to the Republican party. While they're no longer in control of Congress, they can still easily play spoiler. No member of Congress is going to jeopardize votes for health care reform or a troop withdrawal (stuff that's popular with the entire electorate)......to shut down WWE (which is not). Don't let people blow smoke up your ass. Nothing is going to come of this that isn't agreed upon by WWE. If WWE refuses to release the information this committee wants, what are they gonna do? Stand up on the floor of the House on C-SPAN and huff and puff til they turn red in the face. Major League Baseball HAD to give up those documents because the game's image was being hammered (Canseco's book was like dropping a torch in the woods of California). MLB, as an entity, is FAR bigger than WWE. The 'E can sit this one out and take any and all of the shots your Glenn Becks and Nancy Graces can dish out and not notice much backlash at all. People (John Q. Public and his family) will forget about it inside of a year. Remember, baseball has an antitrust exemption that is granted by Congress. WWE does not. Therefore, MLB HAS to do what Congress says or they stand to lose a whole lotta money (not to mention their control over baseball in North America).

I think realistically, they will turn over the documents though. Publicly traded, the stock is falling since the Benoit thing...if they go up there and say "hey we're doing everything we can and there are a lot of promotions who hire all the drug users we fire" they *might* be able to slow the damage. Not complying will look like they actually have somethingt to hide.

well if you want to look at it realistically, WWE will lose alot of money, and they have. I doubt WWE will fire their top stars because that's the only thing people come to see. They'll continue to say they do fire workers, but from a fan point of view, they're workers that don't draw a dime anymore like Jamie Noble who did do steriods but didn't look as jacked as everyone else. ****, how much money does the WWE have to lose to have a system that looks for all drugs and is able to test them completely with no chance of error. Hell, I'd like to see it broadcasted somewhere. Maybe do something similar to the racing in the Tour de France, where they test a rider immediately after they win a race. Or in wrestling terms, test a worker before they step in the ring. Although, technically it's not a "Sport," in every business, organisation and company in america, has the right to fire any worker for drug use. And the WWE, like every company, should test every single one of their workers, regardless of who they are, and what position they're in. It might not, in terms of shutting down the company, but it could hurt the company's popularity. WWE has had it's huge shares of ups and downs, I wouldn't be surprised if WWE's "image" is thrown into the toilet again. If being labeled "Fake and Bogus" doesn't already do damage to them, Steriod and Drug scandals certaintly will. And you don't work for the WWE. There probably are scandals involved in the company. There where a WWE worker who worked in marketing and was working with another person outside of the company to steal millions of dollars from within the WWE. And they did it, and the WWE lost alot of money. It was pure fraud. To say that other forms of fraud are present within the company would be easy after that. You don't know everyone who works for the WWE. How many background checks do you think the WWE can do?

[QUOTE=Travis;269137]well if you want to look at it realistically, WWE will lose alot of money, and they have. I doubt WWE will fire their top stars because that's the only thing people come to see. They'll continue to say they do fire workers, but from a fan point of view, they're workers that don't draw a dime anymore like Jamie Noble who did do steriods but didn't look as jacked as everyone else. ****, how much money does the WWE have to lose to have a system that looks for all drugs and is able to test them completely with no chance of error. Hell, I'd like to see it broadcasted somewhere. Maybe do something similar to the racing in the Tour de France, where they test a rider immediately after they win a race. Or in wrestling terms, test a worker before they step in the ring. Although, technically it's not a "Sport," in every business, organisation and company in america, has the right to fire any worker for drug use. And the WWE, like every company, should test every single one of their workers, regardless of who they are, and what position they're in.[/QUOTE] OK..again..you have a very poor understanding as to how things actually work. In your entire response, you never once even got close to answering the basic question we asked as far as your idea of what congress could do: what exactly has the WWE done that would allow congress to 'shut them down?' The WWE HAS a policy. Congress could ask them to revise it a bit. But unless the WWE is actually *forcing* its workers to use steroids, or distribting the drugs in some way, they arent doing anything illegal. And since they are the ONLY company in the US with any kind of standard drug policy, they are ahead of the curve as far as the wrestling industry is concerned. What don't you get?

on wwe corporate: [url]http://corporate.wwe.com/[/url] WWE Statement On Congressional Letter The media has provided us with a copy of a letter from the Congressional Committee on Oversight and Government Reform. We are reviewing this letter and will respond accordingly. [B][U]edit 1[/U][/B] 7 page PDF (letter sent to WWE dated july 27, 2007) [url]http://oversight.house.gov/documents/20070727154957.pdf[/url]

Archived