The GDSFFL Draft Room/Info Booth

mjdgoldeneye

HA! Awesome. I knew I either wanted the first or one of the last three or four positions. This works nicely. Should I just go ahead and get the first pick out of the way? (Note: If LT gets injured between now and the draft, just ignore that loud 'NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!' emanating from Southwestern Indiana. :D )

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[QUOTE=i effin rule;275586]Perhaps something could be worked out. Was it MJD that said draft picks would be tradeable or am I just making that up?[/QUOTE] Not picks, draft order. And I'd be interested in moving down, to 11 or 12. ;) Since I'm sure someone's going to take LJ regardless of his situation, being at the bottom isn't much of an issue for me.

[QUOTE=PeterHilton;275502]Id be very interested in moving up to #3 or #4.[/QUOTE] [QUOTE=mjdgoldeneye;275619]If anyone is interested, I'd like to be somewhere in the top 3 or 12th...[/QUOTE] [QUOTE=i effin rule;275586]Perhaps something could be worked out. Was it MJD that said draft picks would be tradeable or am I just making that up?[/QUOTE] There you go, i effin rule: you could drop down to the 7th and 18th or the 8th and 17th or stay at the 3rd and 22nd.

[QUOTE=PeterHilton;276782]IN the category "news that could radically effect a fantasy league draft" ESPN is reporting that Larry Johnson and the KC Cjiefs are very close to a new deal.[/QUOTE] That doesn't radically change anything for me! I knew he wasn't going to hold-out until the season started... His fines for not playing would build up so he was playing for free! I doubt that's what he was looking for. Either way, I have no chance in hell of getting him anyway... Unless I somehow move up...

It depends I suppose. I've never done draft order/pick trades before. If I'm merely swapping my order with someone else, then it doesn't make sense for me to trade down unless it's the guy with the last pick. However if there is some kind of incentive, such as an extra pick in the round or something, then it comes down to who has the best offer.

[QUOTE=i effin rule;277019]It depends I suppose. I've never done draft order/pick trades before. If I'm merely swapping my order with someone else, then it doesn't make sense for me to trade down unless it's the guy with the last pick. However if there is some kind of incentive, such as an extra pick in the round or something, then it comes down to who has the best offer.[/QUOTE] If you have a Top 3 pick, you are in a good position. Otherwise, right in the middle/last is also nice (Middle means you have an even distribution of picks between each of yours. It helps to judge. Also, last gives you 2 picks in a row, great for the first/second round when you might possibly get Brady and Moss/Stallworth, Palmer and Houdhsfdgfhsdfhjd/Johnson, Manning and Harrison/Wayne, or even 2 good backs). The worst pick, IMO, is 4th/5th because the biggest backs are gone, and the wait is pretty big. I'd say that if you have a good pick, you have no need to trade, and if you don't, you would only be able to trade for an equally bad pick... (I have Madden, woo-hoo!)

[QUOTE=mjdgoldeneye;277033]The worst pick, IMO, is 4th/5th because the biggest backs are gone, and the wait is pretty big. I'd say that if you have a good pick, you have no need to trade, and if you don't, you would only be able to trade for an equally bad pick...[/QUOTE] I disagree. While yes, you'd miss out on the handful of players "everyone" wants, you'd still be in perfect position to take dark horses that make everyone else scratch their heads, but who put out every single game once the season starts. I think I can pretty much predict which players will be gone within the first 2 rounds and none of them are on my draft board. :p (Okay, maybe I do have Drew Brees) Really now, how many of you would even consider taking a kicker in the first 2 rounds? :) I want to move for more consistent timing in the draft.

[QUOTE=Remianen;277088]Really now, how many of you would even consider taking a kicker in the first 2 rounds? :)[/QUOTE] There is a difference between strategy and plain ignorance (This isn't really the latter, but close too it). It's statistically proven that kickers don't score more in fantasy football than RB's/QB's. Even proven powerhouse guys like Gould (probably) wont score more than a second/third round QB or RB. Defenses, however, if they're good, can be great, cheap, early picks, and I like picking up San Diego or Chicago early and then burning people with a zillion sacks/interceptions! "Dark Horses" and "Sleepers" are only successful when matched up with "Blue Chips" like LT (he will not be shut down this year. He wont break any records, but he'll be in the top 3 at worst). Also, you can't be sure about sleepers too often either. They truly are boom-or-bust picks... I have a feeling Remianen will be going with what I call the "Oracle" draft method of taking positions one round or two too early, sacrificing a great QB, RB, or WR. Or, he can be like my crack-pot friends who take guys like Vincent Jackson in the third round... :D Also, PH is right: In a snaking draft, order only really determines strategy.

[QUOTE=mjdgoldeneye;277124]There is a difference between strategy and plain ignorance (This isn't really the latter, but close too it). It's statistically proven that kickers don't score more in fantasy football than RB's/QB's. Even proven powerhouse guys like Gould (probably) wont score more than a second/third round QB or RB. Defenses, however, if they're good, can be great, cheap, early picks, and I like picking up San Diego or Chicago early and then burning people with a zillion sacks/interceptions! "Dark Horses" and "Sleepers" are only successful when matched up with "Blue Chips" like LT (he will not be shut down this year. He wont break any records, but he'll be in the top 3 at worst). Also, you can't be sure about sleepers too often either. They truly are boom-or-bust picks... I have a feeling Remianen will be going with what I call the "Oracle" draft method of taking positions one round or two too early, sacrificing a great QB, RB, or WR. Or, he can be like my crack-pot friends who take guys like Vincent Jackson in the third round... :D Also, PH is right: In a snaking draft, order only really determines strategy.[/QUOTE] Like I said before, I KNEW Devin Hester would have a big season (though not as big as it turned out), because of the way the Bears changed their special teams blocking schemes for him (they give him lots of space to do what he does). Every year I've played, I've had folks who had breakout years when no one knew who they were. Anquan Boldin? Yup! Jamal Lewis? Uh huh. Dante Hall, Devin Hester, Clinton Portis (with the Broncos). So I'm used to people saying, "WTF?!" when I make my picks and repeating it at the end of the season ("How did...you....?!?"). Note: I said nothing about my intentions to choose a kicker in the first 2 rounds. My example was used to illustrate how, traditionally in these games, everyone fixates on a half dozen or so players and doesn't do their homework about the people outside of that half dozen or so people. So when those folks are unavailable, people have a tendency to start choosing people based on name value and not necessarily ability and/or potential. If I had an inkling that the Jets would have redzone scoring problems, that would make Mike Nugent fairly attractive, would it not? Yes LT is going to get his, as will Peyton, because they're the focal points of their teams. Shawn Alexander is due for a big comeback as well. But just like Drew Brees performed for me last year ("I'm not takin' him! He's got a bum shoulder!"), there will be another quarterback I have scouted that (I'm hoping) most folks probably don't think is going to do so well. And who knows? Maybe I'm playing mind games in the days before the draft.

[QUOTE=masterded;276779]So we know it is on sunday, but what time do we want to try and start?[/QUOTE]This. I can be free pretty much all of Sunday, I just need to know the specific time to come on, make the first pick, and then wander away for the next 22 selections.

[QUOTE=masterded;276779]So we know it is on sunday, but what time do we want to try and start?[/QUOTE] [QUOTE=mjdgoldeneye;276959]**Looks at First Post**[/QUOTE] [QUOTE=nZane;277274]I can be free pretty much all of Sunday, I just need to know the specific time to come on, make the first pick, and then wander away for the next 22 selections.[/QUOTE] Sigh... :rolleyes: [QUOTE=Remianen;277152]But just like Drew Brees performed for me last year ("I'm not takin' him! He's got a bum shoulder!"), there will be another quarterback I have scouted that (I'm hoping) most folks probably don't think is going to do so well.[/QUOTE] Jon Kitna? Did I suggest that already? How about Jay Cutler? :D No need to answer, just trying to take the wind out of your sails with a correct guess... For the record, I do the opposite of what you said. I ignore my first few picks, as that's when the big names will be up and I can pick based on who's left, and I "do my homework" for the last half or so. :)

Oh, now why would I look at the first post? Just because you said to? Huh? That it? What now, tough guy? Yeah, oops. My bad. 4:00 pm (3:00 CDT for me) it is. I'll be here with bells on, or somesuch gibberish. [QUOTE=mjdgoldeneye;277349]Jon Kitna? Did I suggest that already? How about Jay Cutler? :D No need to answer, just trying to take the wind out of your sails with a correct guess... For the record, I do the opposite of what you said. I ignore my first few picks, as that's when the big names will be up and I can pick based on who's left, and I "do my homework" for the last half or so. :)[/QUOTE]Kitna has, on average, been a top ten drafted fantasy QB thusfar, so I can't see it being him. Cutler has been just a little bit behind him. And from what I've read, both guys are being thought of as potentially decent-to-good QBs this season. I'm thinking Remi is referring more to a Tarvaris Jackson or Jason Campbell. Maybe even a Trent Green down in Miami. Someone who is almost completely off the fantasy radar for most people. Personally, I wouldn't waste a pick on the first two. Green, maybe...

[QUOTE=nZane;277391]Kitna has, on average, been a top ten QB thusfar, so I can't see it being him. Cutler has been just a bit further behind. And from what I've read, both guys are being thought of as potentially decent-to-good QBs this season. I'm thinking Remi is referring more to a Tarvaris Jackson or Jason Campbell. Maybe even a Trent Green down in Miami. Someone who is almost completely off the fantasy radar for most people. I know I wouldn't waste a pick on the first two. Green, maybe...[/QUOTE] It's not Jay Cutler, that's for sure. While I love his upside and hear he's been devouring the playbook in camp, I don't see The Ultimate Leader™ giving the keys to the offense to what basically amounts to a rookie. So he'll be on a pretty short leash, at least for most of the season. Given their situation, Tarvaris isn't a good pick either IMO. Jason Campbell too, for the same reasons (hint: they reside in the backfield). I'm not too big on Trent Green either because I think it's going to take a while for him to fully digest Cam Cameron's system and playbook. I will tell you that Phillip Rivers has a chance to blow up, because of the Chargers' new coach (who loves to throw, even with crappy receivers not named LT or AG). If they use Eric Weddle on offense, I think he could help that situation a great deal but I don't see much light beyond that. Nah, there are some obvious choices (with another year under his belt and an offensive whiz as coach, there's a dude out in the desert who could do pretty well) and then there are guys who could blow up or implode. I like taking my chances with those guys, if their situations call for it.

Eric Weddle's name just recently entered my vocabulary. I'm a Chargers fan, and after seeing him in preseason, he isn't half bad. Didn't they trade about a million picks for him? Also, if Leinart can get a decent pass block, he'll be awesome one day. A mailbox modified to launch balls in random directions at random intervals could succeed with Fitzgerald and Boldin out there. Edge too, to a lesser extent. Rivers, although he's "my" QB, will only match last season at best. They lost Keenan (who, if anything, is a decoy to get Parker/Jackson open...) and seeing as LT likes to catch flats, screens, and run to the outside, the flat zones that most defenses will use should shut him down. Gates too for that basic reason. (He'll still be in the top half of starting QB's for sure!) Russell in Oakland may be a surprise success, although not a big one.

Archived