Champions of the Galaxy Mod (need some advice)

This is a project I've been thinking about for a while as a way to merge my two nerdy wrestling gaming obsessions. Champions of the Galaxy is a dice based wrestling game. Long time wrestling fans may remember their ads in PWI. It is essentially pro wrestling...IN THE FUTURE!!! The company has grown and actually has a license to use quite a few wrestlers that havent signed WWE Legends deals to create a spin-off game. The game is simple amd the chracters are pretty cool. If you want more info, here's the links: [url]http://www.cotgonline.com/intro/[/url] [url]http://www.filsingergames.com/[/url] Anyhow, I'd like to create a mod for this game in TEW, featuring the characters and companies associated with the game..the COTG metaverse essentially....but here's the problem: it's wrestling....IN THE FUTURE!!! We're talking other planets...aliens....semi-mystical being..time travellers...the whole sci-fi bit. Any suggestions as to how to accomplish this "translation?" I was thinking about de-activating the areas except for the US, re-naming as many locations as possible, maybe using a different graphic so the game world is represented by a picture of space.... This mod may have no interest for anyone, but I'm going to make it happen (I SWEAR) ad I'd liek to hear any suggestions as to how to make it work so when you are playing, it *feels* like a very different database.

I like the idea myself, but I think the inability to edt the regional locations within the game might be a problem. I'd love to play a mod like this myself though, I've always had a keen interest in all things far-distant future. Forever and a day, I've wanted to try to create me a Star Trek Universe mod, (the 2380's seem to be a really happening time, I know for a fact baseball rocks there, :) ), but that locations thing has always stood in my way. I've never played Champions Of The Galaxy myself, but I remember the ads for it in wrestling magazines as far back as the 80's, so I'm sure it's got some history working for it. Sounds like fun. :)

[QUOTE=PeterHilton;273595]This is a project I've been thinking about for a while as a way to merge my two nerdy wrestling gaming obsessions. Champions of the Galaxy is a dice based wrestling game. Long time wrestling fans may remember their ads in PWI. It is essentially pro wrestling...IN THE FUTURE!!! The company has grown and actually has a license to use quite a few wrestlers that havent signed WWE Legends deals to create a spin-off game. The game is simple amd the chracters are pretty cool. If you want more info, here's the links: [url]http://www.cotgonline.com/intro/[/url] [url]http://www.filsingergames.com/[/url] Anyhow, I'd like to create a mod for this game in TEW, featuring the characters and companies associated with the game..the COTG metaverse essentially....but here's the problem: it's wrestling....IN THE FUTURE!!! We're talking other planets...aliens....semi-mystical being..time travellers...the whole sci-fi bit. Any suggestions as to how to accomplish this "translation?" I was thinking about de-activating the areas except for the US, re-naming as many locations as possible, [B][U]maybe using a different graphic so the game world is represented by a picture of space[/U][/B].... This mod may have no interest for anyone, but I'm going to make it happen (I SWEAR) ad I'd liek to hear any suggestions as to how to make it work so when you are playing, it *feels* like a very different database.[/QUOTE] Running into similar problems with the mod I've been working (off and on, admittedly) on.... What to do??? There are only so many place's in the TEW Database, which is not even the whole world... SO... Here is one way I've thought about (but then I decided to can the idea, but might work for you). Using the tew database area's, as different places'/Planets... A Universe can reside entirely in one game area (USA or Japan For example). Then the different regions can be different planets (not sure how that game it put together, might be better to use the overall regions as whole planets and the location regions inside as area's in the planet, depending on how many different worlds their are). Anyways, going with the game having ALOT of worlds, I would use each area' (Northeast region USA for example) as a complete world. Far as graphics... It's harder then it looks at first glance. First you have to make the gameworld (not necessarily first, but you get the picture), then you have to do graphics for each section. To make them actually look as though they are the same part of the whole is the tricky part. Hope this at least opens up idea's for you.

A while back, I stumbled across a web site or a program or something that could generate maps for fantasy worlds on the OOTP message board, and that might be useful. (though I can't say for sure, as I didn't really have a need for it then, and only gave it a passing glance). I'll see if I can find that again just in case. I still wish there was a way to actually change the names of the regions in the game though. I mean, I'm pretty gifted when it comes to using my imagination, but it kind of cramps my style when I'm standing on planet Shikoku in the Japan star cluster. It'd be nice to be able to edit the names of the nationalities and languages in there as well.

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;273600] Using the tew database area's, as different places'/Planets... A Universe can reside entirely in one game area (USA or Japan For example). Then the different regions can be different planets (not sure how that game it put together, might be better to use the overall regions as whole planets and the location regions inside as area's in the planet, depending on how many different worlds their are). Anyways, going with the game having ALOT of worlds, I would use each area' (Northeast region USA for example) as a complete world. [/quote] Kind what I was thinking. Use one game area as 'the known universe' and the different regions as ..um..regions of the galaxy. And then the locations would be the different arenas, grouped by their proximity to one another (just for instance..two of the primary arenas in the gameworld are on Deimos, a moon of Mars and Titan, a moon of saturn). [QUOTE]Far as graphics... It's harder then it looks at first glance. First you have to make the gameworld (not necessarily first, but you get the picture), then you have to do graphics for each section. To make them actually look as though they are the same part of the whole is the tricky part.[/QUOTE] Yeah, and I suck at graphics. :( Plus i'm not sure if I want to change things too much since to the point where it would require anyone who plays it to re-write their graphics. [quote]Hope this at least opens up idea's for you.[/QUOTE] Yeah..this is gong to take a while..but any input helps.

[QUOTE=dvdWarrior;273603]A while back, I stumbled across a web site or a program or something that could generate maps for fantasy worlds on the OOTP message board, and that might be useful. (though I can't say for sure, as I didn't really have a need for it then, and only gave it a passing glance). I'll see if I can find that again just in case.[/quote] Don't s'pose you'd have a linnk or could point me in the right direction? :) [quote]I still wish there was a way to actually change the names of the regions in the game though. I mean, I'm pretty gifted when it comes to using my imagination, but it kind of cramps my style when I'm standing on planet Shikoku in the Japan star cluster. It'd be nice to be able to edit the names of the nationalities and languages in there as well.[/QUOTE] LOL...yeah, that's why i might just use the US as the game world because the regions are kind of generic..Northeast, Souothwest, etc...

[QUOTE=PeterHilton;273609]Don't s'pose you'd have a linnk or could point me in the right direction? :) [/QUOTE] I *think* this is it right here: [url]http://www.gryc.ws/autorealm.htm[/url] I'm pretty sure that's it, anyway; I'm still perusing the OOTP board for the post, but I just dug that link out of the jumbled mess that is my 'Favorites'. I haven't downloaded it myself, so I can't vouch for it personally, but the guy that originally posted the link seemed to have created a decent map with it. **EDIT** Yeah, that's the link. I did a search for autoREALM over there and found a couple of threads. Might take some time to figure out how to use that though. :)

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;273624]That looks to be a map designer for Fantasy type games like DnD. I think he's looking for a more vast one, that can make planets and maybe even solar systems.[/QUOTE] You're probably right about that. Sadly, that's the only one I know about personally, but I'll be on the lookout for one that can make planets and solar systems. I wouldn't mind playing around with something like that myself.

[QUOTE=SuperstarJimiC;273652]If the person is going to create a COTG mod, get all of the wrestlers from the beginning 2074 and work your way up. You'll have a couple of promotions in there. GWF, CPC, aCe, AWW (or whatever that Dimension X promotion was) and LWF. The first game came out took place in 2087.[/QUOTE] Ummmm..thanks. :confused:

[QUOTE=PeterHilton;273595]This is a project I've been thinking about for a while as a way to merge my two nerdy wrestling gaming obsessions. Champions of the Galaxy is a dice based wrestling game. Long time wrestling fans may remember their ads in PWI. It is essentially pro wrestling...IN THE FUTURE!!! The company has grown and actually has a license to use quite a few wrestlers that havent signed WWE Legends deals to create a spin-off game. The game is simple amd the chracters are pretty cool. If you want more info, here's the links: [url]http://www.cotgonline.com/intro/[/url] [url]http://www.filsingergames.com/[/url] Anyhow, I'd like to create a mod for this game in TEW, featuring the characters and companies associated with the game..the COTG metaverse essentially....but here's the problem: it's wrestling....IN THE FUTURE!!! We're talking other planets...aliens....semi-mystical being..time travellers...the whole sci-fi bit. Any suggestions as to how to accomplish this "translation?" I was thinking about de-activating the areas except for the US, re-naming as many locations as possible, maybe using a different graphic so the game world is represented by a picture of space.... This mod may have no interest for anyone, but I'm going to make it happen (I SWEAR) ad I'd liek to hear any suggestions as to how to make it work so when you are playing, it *feels* like a very different database.[/QUOTE] Holy Hell, you played this game too? I actually did a little work on a mod for this for TEW 2005, but decided that without new workers it would be pointless. I still might have cropped cards for the original 24 that I found on a fansite... But I guess they have new colored cards now or something that would be cool. * And of course, I'd be willing to offer any help you'd want.

[QUOTE=Mr T Jobs To Me;273782]Holy Hell, you played this game too? I actually did a little work on a mod for this for TEW 2005, but decided that without new workers it would be pointless. I still might have cropped cards for the original 24 that I found on a fansite... But I guess they have new colored cards now or something that would be cool. * And of course, I'd be willing to offer any help you'd want.[/QUOTE] I actually still buy the sets. I just don't play much because I don't have the time. I just like the storylines, etc...how nerdy is that? That's the biggest reason I want to do this so that I can use the characters, just in TEW which as a game I am more interested in. Also...if you have the crops send 'em my way. The online version has colored cards, but only for the newer sets. I'm goign tostart the mod near the beginning of the game's timeline (not as far back as JimiC suggested) but I'll need to scan and crop the original cards to create a pic pack.

Can I make a suggestion Peter. Rather than making this Champions of the Galaxy with each region or area being a 'planet.' What if you switched it around so that the various interstellar powers found an uninhabited planet and terraformed it to suit their own needs. Now they use the planet for various reasons. Some might have a penal colony federation (garbage wrestling) or it might be a way to solve disputes. Making one world, but having it represent all the various factions in CotG. A game which I never bought but often thought of getting and remember fondly from 80s PWIs. I'm not much of a Mod-maker but I could likely find some time to try to help out.

[QUOTE=Beeker;276279]Can I make a suggestion Peter. Rather than making this Champions of the Galaxy with each region or area being a 'planet.' What if you switched it around so that the various interstellar powers found an uninhabited planet and terraformed it to suit their own needs. Now they use the planet for various reasons. Some might have a penal colony federation (garbage wrestling) or it might be a way to solve disputes. Making one world, but having it represent all the various factions in CotG. A game which I never bought but often thought of getting and remember fondly from 80s PWIs. I'm not much of a Mod-maker but I could likely find some time to try to help out.[/QUOTE] Actually, that sounds pretty good/logical. To have all the different place's just find a spot to call home on a "Nuetral Planet"/generic, and run them to specs on how they would be run in their homearea's... Would allow more room for growth perhaps, on a believable level (for those that DO know about the game). As this world becomes more popular, more wrestler's are imported to this world to take part in the "HOT ZONE" for all planet.

[QUOTE=djthefunkchris;276440]Actually, that sounds pretty good/logical. To have all the different place's just find a spot to call home on a "Nuetral Planet"/generic, and run them to specs on how they would be run in their homearea's... Would allow more room for growth perhaps, on a believable level (for those that DO know about the game). As this world becomes more popular, more wrestler's are imported to this world to take part in the "HOT ZONE" for all planet.[/QUOTE] Eh, there are tons of percieved regions in COTG but only one major federation at the start. I'd rather see one area of the U.S. with high overness for Deimos, then regions for Andromeda, Aethra, the other essentials. Maybe make Dimension X Canada or something.

[QUOTE=Beeker;276279]Can I make a suggestion Peter. Rather than making this Champions of the Galaxy with each region or area being a 'planet.' What if you switched it around so that the various interstellar powers found an uninhabited planet and terraformed it to suit their own needs. Now they use the planet for various reasons. Some might have a penal colony federation (garbage wrestling) or it might be a way to solve disputes. Making one world, but having it represent all the various factions in CotG. A game which I never bought but often thought of getting and remember fondly from 80s PWIs. I'm not much of a Mod-maker but I could likely find some time to try to help out.[/QUOTE] Nice... wrestle-world!

[QUOTE=Mr T Jobs To Me;276455]Eh, there are tons of percieved regions in COTG but only one major federation at the start. I'd rather see one area of the U.S. with high overness for Deimos, then regions for Andromeda, Aethra, the other essentials. Maybe make Dimension X Canada or something.[/QUOTE] Yeah, MT knows the game so his suggestion is more workable. Thanks, guys. I'll update it as I get further along

• 3 weeks later...
[QUOTE=SasoreGatame;287329]I'd be more than glad to help you with this, PM me if you're still working on this.[/QUOTE] I shall..honeslty I'm still in the start-up stages. Been very busy at work this month. My biggest "need" is scans of the cards to use as pics for the game atm. [QUOTE=FunakLee;287610]I peed a little with excitement when I saw that someone is gonna make this! I don't have all the sets but I've got a bunch of 'em.. up til like the early CPC ****.. and then started again with New Beginning.[/QUOTE] NO PEEING! :p New Beginnings is a very cool place to start. Are you on the Filsinger Games boards?

• 3 weeks later...
This dead? Just found it. Long time player of COTG and although I can't fathom something as cool as a COTG based TEW mod actually being able to come into reality (must be difficult to d@mn near impossible) I hope that smarter heads then mine put them together and figure this out. PeterHilton I don't know what help I can offer pretty useless at MOD making - unless it is just random GWF questions those I could answer! I wish ya all the luck in the world in this endeavor!

Archived