Antonio Puerta has died

TheEdgeOfReason

RIP Pureta [QUOTE]Spain international Antonio Puerta has died after suffering a heart attack in his club side Sevilla's 4-1 win against Getafe on Saturday. Defender Puerta, 22, collapsed in the first-half and medics prevented him from swallowing his tongue. But he collapsed again after going off and was given cardiac resuscitation before being taken to hospital. He was placed in intensive care and doctors said on Tuesday his condition had deteriorated before his death. Puerta collapsed after jogging back towards his own goal 35 minutes into the opening league game of the season at the Sanchez Pizjuan on Saturday. Team mates and medical staff rushed to his side and were seen preventing him from swallowing his tongue as he lost consciousness. He was able to walk from the pitch but doctors said that he collapsed again in the changing rooms and had to be given cardiac resuscitation before being taken to the Virgen del Rocio hospital. Sevilla were due to play AEK Athens in the second leg of a third round Champions League qualifier on Tuesday but the match has been postponed until Monday 3 September. As a consequence, the league match against Osasuna that was scheduled for next Monday has been postponed. There will also be a minute's silence in tribute of Puerta before every La Liga match next weekend. [/QUOTE] I kind of dont know what to say as i do like sevilla and thought this guy was going to become a truley world class full back...In shock really, puts my game tonight which i was, and sorry to use the expression, dying to win.

Initial reaction? ****. I only read about his collapse on Sunday, then when i read that he'd walked off the pitch i felt a sense of hope for him, but with the second collapse, it didn't look too good, still, i thought he may have came around. A big loss to Sevilla, to Spanish football aswell. RIP :(

Im guessing he must have had some undiscovered/undiagnosed condition. A heart shouldn't give up like that. There's been a few incidents like this over the year's although this is only the second fatality that i can remember, maybe teams should start screening for things like this. Rip

Archived