New York City Wrestling: Tradition Begins Anew... again.

I had it all. 24 years old, and already doing a job most would kill to do: hand picked to do play-by-play on America Sports-1's flagship college football telecasts, with talk rampant that I would be able to move up to the professional ranks by the time I hit 30. It all came to a crashing halt because of one appearance on Saturday Pregame, AS1's college football preview show. The discussion centered around Brandon Smith, a former standout defensive end at the University of Minnesota who looked to be on the fast track to superstardom. A likely first round draft pick, Smith would stand to make millions after putting a cap on his career at the Ice Bowl, a showdown between cold weather powerhouses Minnesota and the U. of Wisconsin. It never happened for Smith, he tore three ligaments in his knee, his pro career shot before it could start. Time passed, Brandon Smith became a footnote in the sport's long history, another sad reminder that the injury bug can strike even the most promising of stars. Smith, however, resurfaced as a story when news broke that he was ready to pursue a career in professional wrestling. Having covered many games Smith played, I was brought on Saturday Pregame, where the rest of the crew openly mocked Smith, calling his decision demeaning. Even Smith's old coach declared it "a slap in the face to everyone who ever played the game." A longtime wrestling fan with an appreciation for the craft that predates my love for football, I defended his decision, making note that several athletes have made the transition -- noting that Barry Bowen, one of the biggest stars in the industry as Runaway Train, was a standout nose tackle at Penn State, going back to "Pistol" Pete Hall, a Heisman Trophy Candidate at linebacker for Texas A&M in the early 1980's. I was mocked for my stance, things got a little heated, and I probably went too far when I pontificated that "football is just as fake as wrestling. Have you seen the calls these referees make?" The college sports world was outraged. Universities, big universities threatened to pull out of games I was set to broadcast. AS1 wasted no time in releasing me from my contract, there was no one there ready to pick me up: I went from the next big sports announcer to blacklisted in less than a week. Richard Eisen called. He wanted to bring me in as a heel manager, going to the booth as soon as the buzz wore off. It seemed like a good deal, though I told him I'd have to wait a few days, see what offers came my way. Nothing did, of course, but I wanted some more time to drown in my sorrows before going back to work. It didn't take long. New Year's Day 2007 was a nightmare to start. Hung over, having slept in my clothes the night before, I emerged from my apartment to track down a decent meal -- might as well enjoy the severance package while it lasted. I wound up walking more than I realized, and wound up in Uptown New York. WAY uptown. I decided to pop into a joint called Roscoe's Cajun Place. The guy I met there was just as surprised to see me as I was him. "So there's the guy who flushed his career down the toilet." I grew up 20 minutes away from New York City. I grew up a huge wrestling fan. Throw those two together, and of course I know The Stomper. From his minor run as an SWF midcard heel in my youth to his run at the top of NYCW, I had a familiarity with the guy. We'd spoke once or twice at NYCW shows I dropped in on after "making it." We weren't friends, weren't even acquaintances, but we knew of each other. He correctly guessed that Eisen had made contact. Told me DeColt and Vibert would soon, if they already hadn't. "Cornell will wait a while, until the heat dies down," he predicted. Stomper did more than offer to peer into his crystal ball and look at my career prospects. He offered me his announcing gig, telling me he knew bigger names with better money would, call, but he had to try. I declined, telling him I'd love to do it, but it wouldn't make sense -- financial reasons. The conversation progressed, he picked my brain, and seemed genuinely impressed by my wrestling knowledge. I don't remember if I suggested he hire me as head booker or if he made the call himself, but one way or another, here I am, in charge of New York City Wrestling. Notes: I'm not going to bore you with stuff like the roster just yet. If you're on this board, you probably have, at the very least, a trial version of TEW, or have read enough diaries to have a general sense of the NYCW group. I'll spotlight new hires, and, as in my original diary, the NYCW regulars probably won't last long because, generally speaking, they're A-Overpriced and B-Suck.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quick thanks for the well wishes from old readers, but those of you who signed up to GDS within the last year and few months probably don't remember the original NYCW: TBA, so here's a runthrough. If you'd rather read the long form version, it's here: [url]http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5605[/url] On the brink of bankruptcy, The Stomper was ready to close up New York City Wrestling for good when one crazy idea crept into his head. See, every day, Stomper was hounded by a guy who'd wait for him to leave the decrepit offices of NYCW so he could beg him for work. Every day, the answer was no, up until that one fateful moment when The Stomper decided to throw caution to the wind and give the kid a shot. Immediately, the new booker made sweeping changes, instituting smaller shows packed with younger, cheaper, more talented workers who could mesh with NYCW's traditional style. Expensive, limited stars like Whistler and American Buffalo were jobbed out and jettisoned for the likes of Frankie Perez and an ultracharismatic rookie named Dickie Geller. They were led by one of the few NYCW mainstays kept around -- Empire Champion "The King of New York" Joey Minnesota. SWF would soon come calling for Joey, leaving NYCW without a champion, the void would be filled by a great technician, happily the flagbearer of old school wrestling: "Mr. Tradition" Brent Hill. Hill would have a short reign, as Mexican import Champagne Lover would claim the gold, with an assist from Rip Chord, whose MAW went DOA within a few months. Chord assembled a group of three -- Champagne, Perez, and MAW cornerstone Mean Jean Cattley -- Camp Chord, as they'd come to be known, ran roughshod over the company, no one able to stand in their way until yet another NYCW vet emerged as the man to lead the company. Steve Flash, the immensely talented, if somewhat milquetoast Canadian overcame Perez. Chord, and Cattley to claim the Empire Title. The Crafty Chord had one last trick up his sleeve, though, using his connections to bring in Tommy Cornell's top student, Wolf Hawkins, who claimed the belt from Flash. Before Hawkins and Camp Chord could further establish their dominance, Hawkins took a deal with the SWF, and was gone as quickly as he came, dropping the Empire Title to Donnie J. on the way out. Donnie, however, would serve to be little more than a transisitional champion, with the most dominant force in NYCW history rising up to take him down. Scout would be a permanent fixture in the main event, first losing then reclaiming the title from Alex Braun, then dropping the title to Haruki Kudo. Scout also managed to fend off challenges from top stars like Art Reed and Sam Keith. While this was happening, Steve Flash faltered, and not knowing where to take his career, did the unthinkable and aligned with Camp Chord, holding the Tri-State regional title for almost an entire year while Champagne Lover and Frankie Perez formed an incredible tag team and Cattley surged his way toward the main event. 2008 would kick off with a shock, as Camp Chord turned on its leader and sent him to the broadcast booth for good, as the four went on divergent paths. Perez and Champagne became the Latin Kings, and would rack up 4 NYCW Tag Team titles, Steve Flash hiring rookie Terry Agony as a manager, and Cattley riding a feud with Sam Keith to superstardom. Kings of New York III in March of '08 would be a watershed night, with The Latin Kings dropping the tag titles to The Fly Boys, Steve Flash keeping the Tri-State Title against Art Reed, Nemesis arriving in NYCW and besting Scout, then closing off with two off-the-charts A* matches, seeing Sam Keith win a battle of the legends against Eric Tyler, and Mean Jean Cattley dethroning Haruki Kudo to win his first NYCW Empire Title. The financial successes up to and including KoNY III allowed us to take our show on the road, invading the entire Eastern seaboard, earning us a Cult following and a TV deal, Scout turning face and dethroning Cattley along the way. NYCW Showdown would start with Eric Tyler beating Hell Monkey in a great match, and would go on to showcase some of the best wrestling anywhere. Week two saw The Animals wrest the Tag Titles from the Latin Kings, with the third episode featuring Tyler taking the Empire Title from Scout. The Animalz would soon be shocked by Terry Agony's tandem of Steve Flash & Jimmy Cox, with NYCW riding the wave of Showdown to a second deal with The Pop Network and a Pay-Per-View contract. Rush Hour in January of 2009 would be the first NYCW PPV, with the inevitable departures coming soon before. Eric Tyler, penciled in when he started his reign to lose at Kings of New York IV, would sign with NOTBPW and fall short of that goal by 2 months, dropping the belt to Sam Keith on an episode of Showdown. Keith was on his way out too, so his reign lasted all of two weeks, as he dropped the title to Mean Jean Cattley. The showstealer on the card happened to be the finals of the New York Knockout tournament, an annual affair to determine a #1 contender, which saw Steve Flash, having gone through Big Cat Brandon and the departing Haruki Kudo, defeat Champagne Lover to earn the shot at KoNY IV. Flash's singles success didn't sit well with his stablemates in Terry Agony's Agony Inc, particularly tag partner Jimmy Cox. Cox viciously attacked his partner on Showdown, ending their reign as champions. Flash, desperate for revenge, would put the Empire Title shot on the line in a ladder match at February's Love & War Pay-Per-View, won by Flash. That show would also see Mean Jean successfully defend the Empire Title against Sam Keith in Keith's last NYCW match, as well as Hell Monkey & Esiaku Hoshino claiming the tag team titles, and the beginning of the end of The Latin Kings, as Champagne Lover cashed in a guaranteed title shot to take on Frankie Perez, cheating to win, then claiming his underhanded tactics were accidental. Kings of New York IV would see Nemesis defeat rookie sensation and former football star Roland Hall, Nevada Nuclear defeat Scout in a cage -- possibly the biggest upset in NYCW history, Champagne Lover turn fully on Frankie Perez. The main event saw Steve Flash take back his spot on the NYCW throne with a victory over Mean Jean Cattley. The diary ended a name change to Empire Pro Wrestling, with Steve Flash still champion, locked in a feud with Nemesis after barely escaping a bitter war with Art Reed, which he survived only to be locked in a bitter blood feud with Nemesis as the diary came to an abrupt close. Flash, who had hit his overness cap at B's across the board, was being groomed to lose the title to a freshly heeled James Brandon (who would drop the "Big Cat" name) who would hopefully drop the title to Frankie Perez at Kings of New York V, though things don't always go as planned. That's the story of the original New York City Wrestling: Tradition Begins Anew, hearby known as TBA 1.0. The better late then never TBA 2007 version will follow soon.

No show, we're going to take a close look at... [B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]January 2007 In the U.S.A.[/B][/COLOR][/B] TCW made some signings over the first few weeks, inking deals with supporting cast of all sorts, bringing in Blonde Bombshell, Dylan Sidle, and Playboy Jake Sawyer. In the ring, they enlisted Jack Griffith, Corporal Doom, and American Elemental. All of this wasn't enough to stop them from falling to Cult. American Elemental, who was released before he even got a chance to work. TCW's champions all held their gold through the month, with Tommy Cornell retaining over Wolf Hawkins at Malice in Wonderland . January stunk overall for AE, hiring/firing aside, as he went 0-6 on a tour for WLW. SWF didn't drop a ranking, but they did see their overness drop due to some pretty bad shows, including two subpar episodes of Supreme TV, both featuring Joe Sexy jobbing in main events -- once to Remo, once to Enygma. Akima Brave unseated Zimmy Bumfhole for the Shooting Star Title. New blood abounds for the Supreme Crew too, as they added Pat Deacon, Darryl Devine, Jim Force, Carl Batch, and Queen Emily. Though they lost Batch, DAVE added Ernie Turner and road agent Curt O'Malley. No title changes. USPW put on some awful TV shows. Jim Force's absence vacated the National Title, which Warlord Pain won in a battle of tag wrestlers over Demon Anger. Their best match of the month saw Bruce the Giant retain the World Title against Freddie Datsun (C+) their worst was Lex Appeal beating Cheetah Boy (E-) Shawn Gonzalez took over CZCW... shocking, ain't it? His first move was to sign Helen Wheels and add her to the booking team. He has yet to book a show. AAA made some mass cuts, dropping Missy Masterson, Miss Mexico, Tsuki Kawamata, Steph Blake, and Gorgon. Follwing that and a solid show with a good Wanda Fish-Catherine Quine match, AAA rose to Regional and signed Brains McGhee. Mainstream Hernandez beat Des Davids to win the Rip Chord Invitational. The Mean Machine and Erik Strong were in the semifinals. BoSC put on a bad show and signed Duke Hazzard. Shane Sneer took the reins for RIPW, signing Roger Dodger. [B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Elsewhere...[/COLOR][/B] BHOTWG went on a hiring spree. Notable signings: Hell Monkey, Rhino Umaga, Samoan machine, Jungle Jack, and Eisuke Yoshinobu. PGHW answered with Dark Angel, Koshiro Ino, Roku Yamazaki, and Strong Style Yeomon, and Shooter Sean Deeley. Burning EXILE took over WEXXV. INSPIRE signed a host of talents, including VENOM, Dark EAGLE, and Shingen Miyazaki, but lost Samoan Machine to BHOTWG. Another booking change, Marcos Flores taking control of MPWF. 4C lost Darryl Devine, but signed Jenny Playmate, Roger Rogers, Whippy the Clown, and American standout Mainstream Hernandez. CGC loaded up with Mick Muscles, The Natural, and Craig Prince -- the latter two also working for rival NOTBPW. Speaking of the Stone clan, they had quiet start to 2007, until losing their Canadian Television clearance. Their show still airs on tiny American outlet National Pride TV, however. In other news... One of the big things I discussed with The Stomper was the need to emphasize youth. "I don't think you need me to tell you that you blew it with Minnesota. He could've been huge, the King of New York, but you stalled and stumbled with him and he bolted." Stomper must have remembered this, as he had a directive forbidding me to sign anyone 42 years of age or older. He wanted young guys with principle, however, and also mandated that anyone who was caught boozing or doing drugs wasn't welcome in his company. [I](TBA 1.0 flashback: I signed a guy, one who got caught roiding a week or so after I released him in the first NYCW:TBA... this could be a problem.)[/I] It's our turn next, with NYCW Rush Hour. The only announced matches: [B]Steve Flash[/B] defending the Tri-State title against [B]Rick Sanders[/B], with a big main event: [B]Grandmaster Phunk[/B] and [B]Whistler[/B] for the Empire Title.

Really looking forward to your first show, it was your first NYCW diary, that inspired me to give this TEW diary writing a try in the first place, even though my writing and presentation style is different to yours. I always really enjoyed your booking the first time round, and would think if these shows were for real, I would definitely go to watch the product being put out here, so it will be interesting to see how different things pan out to be the second time round.

[B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]NYCW Rush Hour Crowd: 288[/COLOR][/B] [COLOR="Blue"][B] Sammy the Shark vs "Working Class Hero" Cal Sanders[/B][/COLOR] A decent technical outing, even if people in the crowd cared more about finding their seats and buying Whistler t-shirts (who am I kidding -- they were out in the parking lot buying bootleg Ricky Dale Johnson merch). Cal got his gimmick over by wearing a hard hat and carrying a lunchbox to the ring. Those who cared to watch saw Sanders roll up Sammy in an inside cradle for a flash (n.Steve) pin at 4:36. (TBA 1.0 Flashback: Sammy and Steve Flash are the only workers to appear on both NYCW debut shows.) [B][I]Winner: Cal Sanders Rating: D-[/I][/B] [B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Fern Hathaway was spotting getting ready[/COLOR][/B], looking like she was talking to a dog. "Come on boy, let's go, let's go to the ring!" Decent ratings for Fern looking hot, nothing else. [I](retro note: I miss Joanne Rodriguez already)[/I] [I][B]Rating: C[/B][/I] [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]Will Hayes vs The Dog [/B][/COLOR] William Hayes shortened his name and prettied himself up in an attempt to attract young girls dragged to the show by their dates. The Dog is a slightly repackaged Darryl "Dog Fyte" Freeman, (TBA 1.0 fans may remember Freeman for being a opening match guy who teamed with Marc Speed, got fired, then failed a drug test) The Dog was ruthless here -- too ruthless, as he got himself DQed for biting (what else?) at 7:51. [B][I]Winner, by DQ: Will Hayes Rating: D[/I][/B] [B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Captain Morgan vs Frankie Perez[/COLOR][/B] Frankie was a fixture of the entire TBA 1.0 diary. Captain Morgan -- Tom "Trademark" Morgan is doing a Captain Kirk gimmick, just as an excuse to make the punny rum-related ring name. Good technical encounter, with Perez pressing the action and winning clean at 7:57, Perez took the mic after winnning. "I've watched this whole show, and what have I seen? A star trek reject, a dog, a boy band reject, and a guy with a hard hat. This type of crap may fly down south, but Sam Strong can keep it there if you ask me." Perez followed his shot up by challenging anyone to a match at next month's Showdown in the Bronx. [B][I]Winner: Frankie Perez Rating: C- (match) D- (Interview)[/I][/B] [B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Wiley Coyote came out to face the New York Doll and his as yet unknown partner.[/COLOR][/B] A man came out -- MAW fans would recognize him as Stan "The Man" Manna -- but he announced himself as The Doll's good friend [B][I]C.B. Geebee[/I][/B]. "We've formed a little band, we call it Eisen Youth, and we're going to the the top of the NYCW Tag Team Charts." Stomper didn't get the name, but what do you expect? [B][I]Rating: E[/I][/B] [B]NYCW Tag Team Titles[/B] [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]Eisen Youth (The New York Doll & C.B. Geebee, challengers) vs Wiley Coyote (champions) [/B][/COLOR] Bad, bad match, with both the champs gassing out. It went 10:01, ending when Geebee rolled his studded wristband up to his forearm, and smashed Coyote Dynamite in the face, leading the the pin and the title change. [B][I]Winners, and New NYCW Tag Team Champions: Eisen Youth Rating: E[/I][/B] [B]NYCW Tri-State Title[/B] [B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Rick Sanders [I](Challenger)[/I] vs Steve Flash [I](Champion)[/I][/COLOR][/B] [I](TBA 1.0 tidbit: Rick Sanders was a Tri-State champion -- defeating, then losing the title back to Mean Jean Cattley, Flash held the title as well, defeating Joanne Rodriguez and dropping to Hell Monkey 11 months later) [/I]The goofiness of the undercard gave way to a more legit feel here, with two old schoolers duking it out for a while. Flash had the match well in hand, but that didn't stop Fern Hathaway's Dog from running to the ring and beating the holy hell out of the champ, forcing Michael Bull to call for the bell at 14:54. The Dog's attack continued, with agents having to pry him off of Steve Flash. [I][B]Winner by DQ, and still NYCW Tri-State Champion: Steve Flash Rating: D (Match) E (Attack)[/B][/I] [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]Grandmaster Phunk cut a promo[/B][/COLOR], saying that while Whistler representing the Red, White, and Blue. Phunk argued that the only colors that mattered were "Green and Gold, baby, green and gold." [B]Rating: C[/B] [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]NYCW Empire Title[/B] [B]Whistler (Challenger) vs Grandmaster Phunk (Champion)[/B][/COLOR] Decent brawl, going all over the place before coming back to the ring. Very inventive finish, with the ref getting bumped, leading to Phunk removing his boot and popping Whistler in the head with it. That was enough for Phunk to retain the title, time of match being 9:49. [B]Winner, and still NYCW Empire Champion: Grandmaster Phunk Rating: C[/B] Fern came out to shoot of some t-shirts. A crowd member from an alternate universe openly wept, clutching a photo of Joanne Rodriguez. [B]Rating: C Overall: D+[/B] We went up, we lost ten grand. Oh well. Next time, we go to the Boogie Down for NYCW: Showdown in the Bronx. [B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"] [I]C.B. Geebee will be in action against Wiley Steinway. If Steinway wins, Wiley Coyote gets a rematch. If C.B. prevails, the former champs are done in NYCW. Steve Flash defends the Tri-State Title against The Dog Will Hayes accepts Frankie Perez's open challenge, Whistler gets another title shot against Grandmaster Phunk.[/I][/COLOR][/B]

Nice first show, some segments that worked in 2005, aren't going to work in 2007 though, such as getting the hot looking female to shoot some T-Shirts, even with Rodriguez it might of only got a C rating. Some thoughts on the next show... [B][I][COLOR=#4169e1]C.B. Geebee will be in action against Wiley Steinway. If Steinway wins, Wiley Coyote gets a rematch. If C.B. prevails, the former champs are done in NYCW.[/COLOR][/I][/B] C.B Geebee is obviously a reference to the now closed down legendary punk-rock club. Is Eisen Youth by any chance a reference to New York based alt-rock legends Sonic Youth ? Anyway I think C.B Geebee wins here as I think Wiley Coyote aren't part of your long term plans. [B][COLOR=#4169e1][B][I]Steve Flash defends the Tri-State Title against The Dog[/I][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=#4169e1] [COLOR=#000000]I think Flash will retain here but via DQ...which leaves things open for a re-match. [/COLOR] [I][B]Will Hayes accepts Frankie Perez's open challenge,[/B][/I] [B][/B] [COLOR=#000000]These are both very good workers and will help turn around NYCW from being a graveyard for has-beens into at-least a respectable Indy-fed. [/COLOR] [COLOR=#000000]Hard one to call, but these Open challenge angles usually see the one calling out the challengers win the first match, so I'll slide over to Perez for this one. [/COLOR] [B][I]Whistler gets another title shot against Grandmaster Phunk.[/I][/B] [COLOR=black]I think Phunk retains here, as I don't think you have Whistler down as champion material. Phunk's not great in the ring, but is at-least entertaining and makes for a solid cheating heel champion. [/COLOR][/COLOR][/B]

[B][U]Questions Answered![/U][/B] [I]I take it as a given that Land Mass and Masked Mauler were among the first to be shown the pavement?[/I] Actually, I seem to get a surprising amount of mileage out of the Mauler, somehow. Land Mass... yeah. [I]Nice first show, some segments that worked in 2005, aren't going to work in 2007 though, such as getting the hot looking female to shoot some T-Shirts, even with Rodriguez it might of only got a C rating.[/I] I'd like to think I had some small part in this -- as I padded my ratings big time by having JRo do that and Rip Chord rip off the old Mr. Perfect skits for ten minutes at the close of every show. [I]C.B Geebee is obviously a reference to the now closed down legendary punk-rock club. Is Eisen Youth by any chance a reference to New York based alt-rock legends Sonic Youth ?[/I] The CBGB's reference is obvious, but the team name is in reference to Reagan Youth, an 80's punk band that played CBGB's on a regular basis. And yeah, it was EPW, for the two in-game months that it lasted. No real news to speak of. JEG formed, with Razor Valentine as owner and Derrick Merrick as booker. We made what could evolve into a huge -- albeit obvious -- signing, but more on that later. [B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][U]NYCW: Showdown in the Bronx[/U] Crowd: 300 (sellout) [/COLOR][/B] [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]C.B. Geebee vs Wiley Steinway[/B][/COLOR] I announced the prematch stipulation: if C.B. won, Wiley Coyote was done as a team in NYCW. If Steinway got the victory, the former champs would earn a title shot. Decent match, far better than the tag match -- due to the shorter time given and the fact that these two didn't have their crappy partners weighing them down. The Punk Rocker was able to manage a clean victory over the veteran, signalling the end of an era in New York City Wrestling: Wiley Coyote was no more. [B]Winner: C.B. Geebee Rating: D-[/B] [B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Captain Morgan came out for an interview.[/COLOR][/B] The captain declared that while he failed his mission against Frankie Perez, he would continue to live long and prosper in New York City Wrestling. Morgan continued by asking for another challenger to be "beamed down." Unfamiliar music played, an unfamiliar face emerged. It wasn't until the ring announcer delivered the opponent's last name that the crowd came to life. [B]Rating: E+[/B] [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]Captain Morgan vs Cameron Vessey[/B][/COLOR] Yes, the rookie sensation has arrived right on time. Morgan got a lot out of him, and this was very good considering that fans are still warming up to the Captian and it was Vessey's debut. The kid made the most of the spot, dictating the pace and keeping Morgan tied up in knots, tenderizing him with brutal strikes before closing the deal with the Vessey Driver at 7:30. [B]Winner: Cameron Vessey Rating: D+[/B] [COLOR="RoyalBlue"] [B]Frankie "The Athlete" Perez vs Will Hayes[/B] [/COLOR] Now possessing a generic, yet perfectly descriptive nickname, Perez got off to a good start in an excellent contest, with Hayes later rallying to make a very competitive contest out of it, ultimately ending with Hayes overpursuing a shoulder tackle, leading Perez to land a SICK looking kick to the head, leading to the pinfall at 9:50. Hayes graciously offered a handshake, acting the part of gracious loser, but Perez turned him down. [B] Winner: Frankie Perez Rating: C- (match) E- (handshake) [/B] [B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]NYCW Tri-State Regional Title The Dog (Challenger) vs Steve Flash (Champion) [/COLOR][/B] This match disappointed a bit, as Dog's overness isn't what it needs to be to keep pace with the match quality, but Flash carried his end well, and looked like he was well on his way to a victory when The Dog started biting... literally, leading to a DQ at 6:31. [B]Winner by DQ and Still NYCW Tri-State Champion: Steve Flash Rating: D [/B] [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]Grandmaster Phunk promo[/B][/COLOR] Very basic promo from the Grandmaster, the whole "it ain't cheatin' if you don't get caught" defense. Phunk assured the crowd that he wouldn't need to cheat to "get rid of that flag wavin' punk" tonight. [B]Rating: C+[/B] [B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"] NYCW Empire Title Whistler (challenger) vs Grandmaster Phunk (champion) [/COLOR][/B] Another good brawl from these two. We're trying to angle toward a more technical product, but while we build the stars of tomorrow in Perez, Hayes, Vessey, et. al, the battles between the Grandmaster and Whistler are doing a great job of keeping people interested, though the fact that the Perez-Hayes match was as well recieved as this is indication that we'll be able to move toward my visiion sooner than later. This one was done at 9:31, when the brawl spilled out of the ring past the ten count. [B]Result: Double Countout Rating: C- Overall: D+[/B] A solid, if somewhat predictable card. Things should get a little harder to call as time goes on -- we're just laying a foundation here. [B]Next month: [/B]We see what we can do without the big stars: [I][B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"] Kings of New York takes off with a battle between Steve Flash and Frankie Perez for the Tri-State Regional Title. Eisen Youth is in action against a team to be named, things don't get any easier for Captain Morgan as he faces another huge challenge in crafty veteran Black Hat Bailey. [/COLOR][/B][/I]

[B][U]IN OTHER NEWS...[/U][/B] A decent Indy show in the Midwest saw Madman Boone beat Fumihro Ota, Paul Steadyfast best Stevie Grayson, Puerto Rican Power put away the Idaho Punisher, and American Elemental top Dazzling Dave diamond in the highlights. Champagne Lover signed on for a tour with BHOTWG. Taking momentum from an excellent show featurng a great Sean McFly-Jeremy Stone encounter, NOTBPW rose to National status, their first move being to sign a written pact with Fumihiro Ota, who we kind of had an eye on. The news is worse for MAW, who lose Chord Invitational runner-up Des Davids. The signing spree continued with Freddie Datsun, Adrian Garcia, Kashmir Singh, and The Insane Heat. Funny story. Before resigning Fern Hathaway, we took a look at Sara Silver and Sienna Deville from BSC, only to have both opt to sign for MAW instead of us. We still cut some dead weight, releasing both members of Wiley Coyote as well as Land Mass. Aristocrat unseated Valiant for the RIPW Title. The New Wave unseated The Jersey Devils for the DAVE Tag titles. Good call -- Braun's slowing it down and Bradley's a waste. [I]TBA 1.0 flashback: Braun was a main event/upper midcard fixture for the TBA 1.0 NYCW, with Scout as arguably the biggest star in my company. Guide was being considered for a feud with Scout, but TCW went International and scooped him up before I could -- doing the same thing with Catherine Quine right before I was going to sign her to feud with Joanne Rodriguez. Guide went on to have a great TCW career, winning two World Titles.[/I] The TCW Woes continue, with GNN Total Sports yanking Total Wrestling off the air. A sellout crowd of 300 joined us for Kings of New York. The house was packed, stocked, and ready to rock. [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]Cal Sanders vs Rafael Ruiz[/B][/COLOR] Ruiz is a talented, albeit bland technician from Mexico. Sanders is an talented, albeit bland technician from Canada. Good match, even if the crowd largely sat on their hands. Sanders won a submission victory with an STF about five minutes in. Surprisingly good. [B]Winner: Cal Sanders Rating: D[/B] [B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Captain Morgan lamented that the forces of the Universe were against him[/COLOR][/B], acknowledging that he has an uphill battle ahead if he wants to snap his losing streak. "Black Hat Bailey, that's a tough mission," he pontificated "but I accept it, and I shall do my best." [B]Rating: E-[/B] [B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Black Hat Bailey vs Captain Morgan [/COLOR][/B] This was supposed to be Will Hayes taking on the grizzled vet and ex-booker, but he was working with INSPIRE, leading Captain Morgan to get the rub. Bailey dominated through the match, but got rolled up for a shocking flash pin to give Morgan the upset victory in a very good affair. [B]Winner: Captain Morgan[/B] [B]Rating: C-[/B] [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]Fern Hathaway shot t-shirts. No one cared. "Shooting shirts is so 2005!" someone yelled from the back.[/B][/COLOR]. [B]Rating: D[/B] [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]Eisen Youth waited for their opponents. [/B][/COLOR] Cameron Vessey walked out first, followed by a new face, one recognized by some New Yorkers living a little more upstate, closer to Canada. The sensation from up north, Jacob Jett, arrived in NYCW. Jett declared that him and Cameron Vessey were Next, and they were ready to take the gold. [I](TBA 1.0 flashback: after being inexplicably fired by 4C, Jacob Jett went from opener to solid midcarder in NYCW as Danny Jacobs, teaming with Marc Speed in the similarly themed Future Shock, who had a great run with the Latin Kings -- notice there's no "O" there -- these Kings could wrestle, unlike those 3 stiffs in DAVE.)[/I] [B]Rating: E[/B] [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]NYCW Tag Team Titles Next (challengers) vs Eisen Youth[/B][/COLOR] Good match, somewhat diminshed by the fact that both teams are heels. The New York Doll got isolated and beaten to a pulp by the youngsters -- at a total combined age of 39 -- Next could still be hired under Stomper's "no old guys" policy. C.B. never got the hot tag as Next dismantled the Doll, pinning him after a spike piledriver. The attack continued after the match, with major damage done to the Doll's neck until C.B. made the save, turning him face. [B]Winners, and new NYCW Tag Team Champions: Next Rating: D- (match) E- (angle)[/B] [B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]NYCW Tri-State Title Frankie Perez (challenger) vs Steve Flash (champion)[/COLOR][/B] Perez, on a crusade to define the W in NYCW, found himself overwhelmed early on in this impressive encounter. Flash, the veteran, kept things going up-tempo but seemed to wear out after five minutes of breakneck action, with Frankie taking control. In the booth, I questioned Flash's stamina and whether age was taking its toll and praised Perez for his rope-a-dope tactics -- Flash is knowledgeable enough to know I wasn't being malicious there, just telling the story of the match. The old champ did rally, and hit the Flashbang, but only scored a two with it. Perfect Parity from Perez was enough to score Frankie the upset and the title. Flash looked shocked. [B]Winner, and new NYCW Tri-State Champion: Frankie Perez Rating: C[/B] A successful show, a cheap show, and we'll only lose a few hundred bucks this month instead of three grand. Next month will be pricier, but more on that in the next update, where I come face to face with the man who indirectly changed the course of my career.

[B][U]6 days ago.[/U][/B] The sound of a ringing phone woke me up early the first Monday in March. "Hello," I managed to say... I think. "Brian! It's the Dozer!" The deep midwestern voice still resonating with childlike excitement declared on the other end. Bulldozer Brandon Smith was on the phone. "Now I heard this crazy rumor," Dozer continued, "that you got yourself involved in the wrestling business." "Word travels in this business, doesn't it?" Was my reply. I should really preface this story by saying that Brandon Smith and I have become somewhat close since our fates intertwined -- Dozer was happy that someone in the media backed me up, and wisely theorized that "you may be the only guy who lost more money from me gettin' hurt than I did." At least we can laugh at our collective misfortune. "It sure does," Dozer replied. "so I'm trying to get word out that I'm out of training and ready to go." "Well, Dozer, you know there's always a place for you in NYCW, right?" "I had the feeling," he responded, "and I knew you were in the business too, brother, I was just pulling your leg." Brother, one day out of school and he's already talking like one of the boys. "I saw a bootleg of that William Hayes-Frankie Perez match, plus I've been hearing what you're doing with that Vessey kid -- sounds like good stuff, boss." "Thanks." "I'm not callin' to congratulate you. I'm gonna be in town on Saturday. Whaddya say you have me as a guest, maybe we can work out a deal." "Sounds great Dozer." I replied, trying to contain my excitement. Brandon Smith, from what I saw in his training footage and through firsthand accounts, was a hell of a worker, and while he'd fit best in Japan long term, he'd probably be the best bridge I could hope for as we transition from Brawlers like Phunk and Whistler to more technical oriented guys like Flash and Frankie. Dozer was even more impressed with what he saw at the show, and was very enthusiastic when I offered him a deal. One more match signed, sealed, delivered for the next show, Staten Island Showdown, and it's Mexican import Rafael Ruiz vs The Bulldozer. [I]OOC Note: To make the game slightly easier and add a degree of realism to my backstory, I edited in a friendship with Brandon Smith -- It probably won't keep him from moving on to Japan one day, but it made sense.[/I] [B][U]In other news...[/U][/B] -Shawn Gonzalez was successful in his first show as booker of CZCW, largely due to his own efforts, putting on a very good match going down in defeat to Donnie J in the main event. His March followup wasn't as impressive, but did draw 1,000 fans to sell out the Snake Pit, as he defeated Remmy Sky and Donnie J retained the title in a 4-Way with James Prudence, Plague, and Matt Sparrow. -Continuing to trim the roster, I fired Roger Dodger, who cursed me out as he left. Guess I'm off his Holiday card list. -SWF debuted a new show this month, SWF Gladiators. Depite rumors that this show would feature the likes of Remo and Jumbo Shrimp participating in events like Powerball and The Joust, it was a normal wrestling show. The first show saw Frederique Antonio Garcia beat Shady K in a stinker of a first match, with Eric Eisen drawing with Jack Bruce in the main event. -Things got better for SWF on their PPV, a decent show with Runaway Train besting Remo for the world title in what has become a big match for the Fed. The Shooting Star Title switched hands again, with Bart Biggz dethroning Akima Brave. April saw a bigger title change, with Lobster Warrior dethroning Rich Money for the North American title. By the way, The Almighty Dollar have yet to face the Warriors of the Deep. ;) -SWF's feeder league, RIPW, rose to small status, with Valiant defeating Atlas and Nevada Nuclear beating Mikey James in the best matches on the show. Aristocrat retained the RIPW title over Kentucky Bill in a bad main event. RIPW Started off April by wisely putting the title back on Valiant [I]TBA 1.0 flashback: Valiant was a decent midcard tag guy for me, with two incarnations of his Knights of the Squared Circle team, the first being with Adam Prince -- now known as Rocky Golden, formerly Prince Adam -- and the second, more successful one with Squire Flemmy (nee Lemming) [/I] -RIPW made the same mistake as DAVE and hired Ernie Turner, who turned in an F+ effort, defeating Lion Heart. -Up in Canada, Jeremy Stone and Dan Stone Jr, won their third Ed Henson Memorial Tag Team Cup, beating the McWades in the finals, though the runners up did pull of a shocking upset of Sean McFly and Johnny Bloodstone in the semifinal round. -JEF's first show was a solid one, with Herschel the Hammer winning their national title over Kalu Owusu and Mr. Evilness beating Jed High for the Universal title. The big boys in Europe, UCR, were hotshotting, with Geoff Borne beating Joey Beauchamp for the national title, only to lose it right away to Bam Bam Johansson. -Our Frankie Perez is headed to Japan, where he'll tour with WLW. -SWF may be looking into bringing back another ex-talent, as Brains McGhee signed a developmental deal. As for us, we go on a tour of the boroughs as NYCW presents: [B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Staten Island Showdown[/COLOR][/B]. As announced previously, Bulldozer Brandon Smith makes his wrestling debut, taking on the dangerous technician from Mexico, Rafael Ruiz. Next face a very tough challenge as they try to hang on to their tag titles, as they've drawn Whistler and American Machine, the American Made Men. Finally it's an Empire Title match to close things out, with Grandmaster Phunk defending against the NYCW Heartthrob Will Hayes.

[SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]NYCW: Staten Island Showdown Crowd: 407[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE] [B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Cal Sanders vs Sammy the Shark[/COLOR][/B] Cal's a very good technician, who has recently changed styles to Super Junior. Sammy stands to hang on longer than most of the NYCW originals, given his versatility and cheapness. TBA 1.0 flashback: Sammy was around at the very beginning, was fired, then brought back at the tail end to team with Antonio (aka Tony the Tank) as the mob themed lower card heel team The Family. Better than most openers, this one came to a close as Sanders locked on a bow and arrow lock for the submission. [B]Winner: Cal Sanders Rating: D-[/B] [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]Whistler Promo[/B][/COLOR] The crowd still loves the old flag waving brawler. Whistler went on a long diatribe about what it means to be an American, about the power of the fighting American spirit, and how it can overcome anything -- from the dastardly tactics of Grandmaster Phunk to the nefarious pair known as Next -- Hard work was what it took to overcome, and Whistler promised he'd work with American Machine to claim the tag titles tonight. [B]Rating: C[/B] [B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]The Masked Mauler vs Joey Rotten [/COLOR][/B] Rotten is a repackaged Joey Poison, the very talented head booker of Canadian outfit 4C. The Masked Mauler... well, the less said the better. [I]TBA Flashback: Joey Poison was one of only 4 guys to work for the old NYCW from the first show to the last, uninterrupted, the other three being ex-Camp Chorders Steve Flash, Champagne Lover, and Frankie Perez. Unlike the other three, who were big names, Joey was a fixture in the undercard, always a babyface, usually in a tag team. [/I] Joey's in a babyface tag team this time around too, as C.B. Geebee's partner in the revamped Eisen Youth. This served as his launching pad, and he sprung off with a victory, putting The Mauler away with his "Anarchy in NYC" Double Arm DDT. [B]Winner: Joey Rotten Rating: D [COLOR="RoyalBlue"] Joey Rotten grabbed the mic[/COLOR] [/B] Doing his best whacked out rocker mumble, Joey laid out a challenge to Next -- whether they were still tag champions or not, Eisen Youth wanted them in a battle of the bands. Jacob Jett came out, looking smug as can be. "I can only assume you mean you want us in a match," the Arrogant Canadian thought out loud. He accepted, and the match was made for next month's NYCW: The Battle of Brooklyn. [B]E+ [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Rafael Ruiz vs Bulldozer Brandon Smith[/COLOR] [/B] Playing up our history, I acted repulsed that Dozer was involved in NYCW. Truth be told, I was thrilled. He tossed Ruiz around, and the luchador bumped like a champ. Ruiz managed to get meager at best offense before succumbing to the Dozer Driver, Smith's lethal looking backdrop driver. TBA 1.0 Flashback: only the hardcores probably remember Rafael Ruiz's first run, where he went 0-5, losing to Ace Youngblood, Barry Kingman, C.H. Threepwood, and Frankie Perez twice.He was the OLLIE Mexican Champ for almost 3 years, however. [B]Winner: Bulldozer Brandon Smith Rating: C- [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Will Hayes promo[/COLOR][/B] Hayes, still playing to the female audience, said that he'd take that big, ugly Grandmaster Phunk and show him what a real man was all about. Wow Will... remember, we want you to play to the FEmale audience. [B]Rating: C- [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]NYCW World Tag Team Titles The American Made Men (challengers) vs Next (champions)[/COLOR][/B] If you had "Talented, less over new blood beats talentless, but over old guard," you're the lucky winner. Cameron Vessey scored the pin on Whistler after Grandmaster Phunk got involved. In other news, the match stunk. [B]Winners, and still NYCW Tag Team Champions: Next Rating: D [COLOR="RoyalBlue"] Phunk grabbed a mic[/COLOR][/B] "That man there, that Whistler, he don't deserve no gold. Not my gold, not Jett's gold, not Vessey's gold, no gold! That Willy Hayes don't deserve the gold either, he looks too pretty -- I think he should go into business for me, if you know what I mean, there are people out there who'll pay big money for that kinda thing." He was rolling, that's for sure. [B]Rating: C+ [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]NYCW Empire Title Will Hayes (challenger) vs Grandmaster Phunk (champion)[/COLOR][/B] A stylistic nightmare, this one was doomed from the start as Phunk's basics and brawling approach just did not mesh well with Hayes and his tactical assault. It was all the challenger at first, with the Grandmaster being tied up in knots, but it didn't last for the NYCW Heartthrob, who hit his Phunkinator, an inverted piledriver, to win clean and retain the gold. [B]Winner, and still NYCW Empire Champion: Grandmaster Phunk Rating: D+ Overall: D+[/B] There was a tiny show up in New England on the same night we ran Staten Island Showdown, attended by 36 strong, with a card packed with NYCW castoffs: Coyote Dynamite defeating Sgt. Bubba Lee West, Wiley Steinway getting the better of Roderick Remus, and former tag partners The Big Problem and Land Mass facing off, with Problem picking up the win. The main event saw Madman Boone and Stevie Grayson team up to defeat Paul Steadyfast and The Idaho Punisher. Huge Injury news in Japan, where Koshiro Ino shattered his elbow in a BHOTWG match with Shimedzu. Ino will miss more than a year of action. Cliff "Dark Angel" Wilson may be the next to go. Working a full slate with NOTBPW and tours with GCG and PGHW, he has compiled 45 matches from January to the third week of April, is working through a shoulder injury, and really needs to take a break. Actually, the next to go is the ageless "Pistol" Pete Hall, who cracked his sternum in a losing effort against Hiroyasu Gakusha. Hall will miss a month's action. SWF made their expected fall to Cult status, leaving the U.S. without any promotion considered National or better -- it really is a wide open market out there, with SWF being the most prestigious company, and DAVE a surprising second. SWF's releases: Andre Jones, Jim Force, both members of the Death Row team, Mikel Alonso, Dawn The Cheerleader, Shane Stones, Duane Fry, and Kid Toma. May is a big month for television, with 4 new wrestling shows scheduled to appear on TV screens soon: PGHW, MPWF, WLW, NOTBPW, and USPW all inked deals. SWF is in trouble as far as TV goes, however, with Supreme TV and Gladiators both in danger of being axed by America Sports 1. I know how it feels. Don't expect referee Jay Fair to hang around in MAW much longer, as he has big heat with Rip Chord now. As for us, we'll move on in our tour of the five boroughs with[B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"] NYCW: The Battle of Brooklyn. [/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][I]Old grudges will be settled here, as Grandmaster Phunk meets Whistler in a steel cage. Steve Flash faces The Dog, and Fern Hathaway's pet can be as ill-tempered as he wants to be, it's no disqualification! Things aren't getting any easier for Next -- the prodigious pair faces a daunting task as they go head to head with the new, improved Eisen Youth: C.B. Geebee and Joey Rotten. Bulldozer Brandon Smith looks to continue his winning ways, facing the always dangerous Honest Frank. [/I][/COLOR][/B]

[B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][SIZE="3"]NYCW: The Battle of Brooklyn Crowd: 300 (sellout)[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Captain Morgan vs Rick Sanders[/COLOR][/B] Good technical wrestling highlighted the opener, with Sanders and Morgan exchanging holds, with Sanders seeming to get the better of the exchange. Things got a little heated late in the match, with Morgan throwing a wild clothesline that sent him and Sanders both sailing over the top rope and to the gymnasium floor. A pier six brawl erupted, with the action not making it back before Michael Bull counted to ten. [B]Result: Double Countout Rating: D+ [COLOR="RoyalBlue"] Fern Hathaway was out next[/COLOR].[/B] Fern wasn't accompanied by her usual charge, The Dog, this time around, but was accompanied by a more refined looking young man who seemed to be more interested in himself than her. Fern introduced him as her boyfriend, Wayne Davis, NYCW's newest competitior. Generic heel stuff from the renamed rookie Davis Wayne Newton "The ugly, ugly, people of New York City will soon find out that I'm the true triple threat: the best looking, the smoothest talking, and the toughest wrestler on God's Green Earth." [B]Rating: E+ [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Wayne Davis vs Cal Sanders[/COLOR][/B] Cal Sanders is a good litmus test for an NYCW wrestler -- if you can put on a good match with him, you're solid, but you're in trouble if you can't. Davis did a decent enough job, preening and posturing for the fans, the extra curricular activity sometimes getting him in trouble. No underhanded tactics here, a Fisherman's Suplex got the job done for the rookie. [B]Winner: Wayne Davis Rating: D [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Jacob Jett cuts a promo.[/COLOR][/B] Jett ran down Eisen Youth, proclaiming that "They're supposed to be the best team NYCW has to offer, but they change members faster than Spinal Tap changed drummers." Continuing with a caution for Joey Rotten, he advised the newest punk in New York to watch what happened to the New York Doll. "He's never going to be back in wrestling again -- and you Joey, you're next." [B]Rating: D [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]NYCW Tag Team Titles Eisen Youth (challengers) vs Next (champions)[/COLOR][/B] Not quite the match I hoped for. Cameron Vessey has the potential to be great, but he's just good right now, with tonight being a night where he worked through some of the growing pains that come with being a young wrestler. Wild, impassioned brawl, particularly between Vessey and Geebee, who took it to the outside and never came back. [B]Result: Double Countout Rating: D [COLOR="RoyalBlue"] Fern Hathaway psyched up The Dog[/COLOR], leading him in some stretching exercises.[/B] [B]Rating: C [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]No Disqualification Steve Flash vs The Dog[/COLOR][/B] Furious action to start -- Flash can brawl and Dog is intensity personified, but the match overall didn't work out quite as well as I hoped it would. The Dog made the most of the rule changes -- not that the fact that a DQ would be called has been enough to stop him before -- but Steve Flash was able to overcome the brutality and go on the offensive with sweet science, putting The Dog down with a Flash Bang to end this mini-feud. [B]Winner: Steve Flash Rating: D [COLOR="RoyalBlue"] Honest Frank Promo[/COLOR][/B] "I've been in this sport a long time," Frank declared, "and I've seen these dual sport superstars come and go. Tto be honest -- and everyone here in New York City knows that I'm Honest -- Bullzoder (not an error, Frank called him Bullzoder) is one of the better guys. Better, but not quite good enough to beat me: Honestly." I expected Frank's promo to go better, given his charisma, but what can you do? [B]Rating: D+ [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Honest Frank vs Bulldozer Brandon Smith[/COLOR][/B] The Bulldozer came out living up to his nickname and didn't really look back -- he was all over Frank like Land Mass on a buffet. Frank tried to get some offense in, but this match was designed to get the Dozer over, and get him over it did, as he scored a clean pin with the Dozer Driver in a good match, given Frank's limitations. [B]Winner: Bulldozer Brandon Smith Rating: D- [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Grandmaster Phunk interview[/COLOR][/B] Phunk raved about how excited he was because "after I walk outta that cage tonight still the Empire Champion, I'm never gonna have to wrestler that flag wavin' punk again." Though there wasn't a clause stating this was Whistler's last shot, Phunk insisted that "this is it, old man, you lose tonight, you go to the back of the line." Finally, a good promo. [B]Rating: C-[/B] [B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]NYCW Empire Title [I]Steel Cage Match [/I] Whistler (challenger) vs Grandmaster Phunk (champion)[/COLOR][/B] Wild, bloody brawl with both men juicing after various ugly bumps into the cage. A decent brawl, though not the epic war one would hope for to put an end to this feud. Whistler got a ton of near falls, with the crowd buying into the majority of them, but in the end it was the Grandmaster and his Phunkinator that would end the match on top. [B] Winner, and Still NYCW Empire Champion: Grandmaster Phunk Rating: C- Overall: D+[/B] SWF looks to be shedding more talent -- Remo is opting not to re-up with the Fed, considering himself too big for them. SWF, while Cult, is still the most prestigious promotion in the states. Is Remo headed to Canada? Japan? It seems like BHOTWG, PGHW, and NOTBPW may be the only companies big enough to sign him, ditto for Steve Frehley. (yes, I know they'll probably wind up going to TCW, but let's pretend things don't always go the same way) SWF is also cutting what it deems to be dead weight -- it looks like Brett Biggz won't get a contract renewal. They're trying hard, though, shaking things up by having Skull DeBones win the World Title from Remo at Master of Puppets in a 4-Way that included Jack Bruce and Sam Keith. Didn't matter, as Supreme TV was pulled from American television after a long and storied run as the premiere wrestling show in the States, though it will go on in the U.K. -- the final match saw Christian Faith defeat the soon to be departed Steve Frehley. Gladiators was pulled as well, leaving the kings of American wrestling without a television outlet in their home country. The comparatively short run of Gladiators also ended with a Christian Faith victory -- he beat Runaway Train this time. I don't expect SWF to take this lying down, however, they'll be back on a smaller network soon enough. American strong style specalist Hell Monkey struck it big in Japan, winning the WLW Universal title from Dark EAGLE. TBA 1.0 Flashback: Hell Monkey had a small run early in the old NYCW, then did better on his return, ending Steve Flash's 11 month long Tri-State title reign before forming a successful tag team with fellow puro specialist Esiaku Hoshino. The Heartbreakers of RIPW have lost the tag titles to the brand new group known as The Human Chess Team -- Roger Dodger and Atlas. There's also confirmation out that Wolf Hawkins will not be returning to TCW, mere months after headlining there against Tommy Cornell. Let's see what happens there. TCW did, however, reemerge as a national promotion, taking the opportunity to sign former SWF announcer Duane Fry. (TBA 1.0 Flashback: Hawkins emerged as the crown jewel of Camp Chord and ended Steve Flash's first Empire title run, only to bolt for SWF a few weeks later, dropping the belt to Donnie J as he left.) [B]Next Time:[/B] The tour continues with NYCW: Chaos in Queens. [B][I][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Next is split into singles competition this month, Jacob Jett matched up with Captain Morgan, Cameron Vessey drawing one of his rivals, Joey Rotten. Joey's partner C.B. Geebee isn't taking the night off, he'll be facing the legend in his own mind, Wayne Davis. Mario Heroic makes his NYCW debut, facing Black Hat Bailey. Finally, Grandmaster Phunk has been a tough roadblock for anyone who wants to climb to the top of the mountain, but can that roadblock withstand a Bulldozer?[/COLOR][/I][/B]

[B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][SIZE="3"]NYCW: Chaos in Queens Attendance: 300 (sellout)[/SIZE] Captain Morgan opens the show in the ring[/COLOR][/B] The cap declares that his next mission is the "Next" mission. That declaration begins a rapid succession of flight related puns from NYCW's resident sci-fi geek. "Jacob Jett has climbed to great heights, but it's time for him to turn his nose down and head back to Earth." Jacob Jett interrupted, basically calling Morgan a goofball and a sorry excuse for a wrestler. [B]Rating: E+ [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Captain Morgan vs Jacob Jett[/COLOR][/B] This one started off with a chess match, both men going hold for hold before Jett turned up the speed and really went to town on the Captain, who had no answer for the blindingly quick strikes, which kept Jett in control most of the way, with Jett lifting Morgan in a Fireman's Carry, then dropping him right into a knee to the face -- known as The Prodigizer -- for the pinfall. [B]Winner: Jacob Jett Rating: D+ [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Fern Hathaway leads out Wayne Davis[/COLOR][/B] Fern can't do much, so we have her make goo-goo eyes at Davis while he does the legwork on the stick. Davis unleashed his standard heel schtick, doing an all right job of it, blasting C.B. Geebee as ugly, crude -- exactly what he expected to see when he came to New York City. Insult the fans -- check. Insult the opponent -- check. All Davis had to do was insult the local sports team to complete the heel trifecta. [B]Rating: E [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Wayne Davis vs C.B. Geebee[/COLOR][/B] I think we may have indentified the problem in the Eisen Youth-Next feud, and it may be Stan "The Man" Manna. Not a very good match at all, with Davis doing some good heel posturing, only to have nothing really there to follow up. The former tag team champion made a critical error at the end, whipping Davis into the ropes and lowering his head for a backdrop. Davis put on the brakes, grapevined a leg, and bridged back into a Fisherman's Suplex for the pinfall victory. [B]Winner: Wayne Davis Rating: E+ [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Joey Rotten vs Cameron Vessey[/COLOR][/B] Maybe Manna isn't the only one to blame for the lackluster tag matches after all. Nothing patently bad here, but nothing spectacular either. Vessey took control early with an equal mix of brawling, technique, and the occasional underhanded tactic or three. Rotten perservered, coming out of nowhere at the end to hit the Anarchy in NYC for the pinfall, Vessey's first loss in NYCW, this should add some evenness to the Next/EY feud. (Note: Cam lost several bouts in a tour for INSPIRE). [B] Winner: Joey Rotten Rating: D [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Bulldozer Brandon Smith promo[/COLOR][/B] The Dozer gave an excited promo, talking about how pumped he was to get the chance of a lifetime -- a shot at Grandmaster Phunk's Empire Title. Smith related a story about how he was never on a championship team while playing college, or even in high school, but this was going to be his shot, his opportunity to call himself a champion, and he wasn't going to pass it up. Good promo, really sold the match well. [B]Rating: C [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Black Hat Bailey vs Mario Heroic[/COLOR][/B] Interesting contrast in styles, with Bailey being incredibly old school in his work, going against the debuting Mario Heroic, who is flashier and more of a high flyer. Bailey tried to keep it slow and grounded, working the arm and going for a lot of submissions, but Mario came up with athletic counter after athletic counter, eventually powering out of a hammerlock with an elbow, scaling the top rope, then hitting Bailey with a flying body press for the pinfall. [B]Winner: Mario Heroic Rating: D[/B] [I]TBA 1.0 Flashback: Mario Heroic was someone I criminally underused the first time around. I brought him to America, repackaging him as Super Mario, teaming with Joey Poison as The Superdudes, an opening act face team. Mario went 1-5, with three matches against Frankie Perez -- a win, a loss, and teaming with Joey to lose to Frankie & Champagne Lover. Mario would parlay his work with us and with CGC into work with DAVE, then finally TCW, where he was a 3-time All-Action champion and won the tag titles twice with Jungle Jack.[/I] [B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Grandmaster Phunk promo[/COLOR][/B] Phunk took the opportunity to acknowledge everything that Brandon Smith said, adding that "all your dreams, all those years you wanted to call yourself a champion, it don't mean a thing. Everyone in NYCW wants to be me, but nobody in NYCW can beat me." Good heel work from Phunk, who did his part to make the title match tonight seem special. [B]Rating: C [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]NYCW Empire Title Bulldozer Brandon Smith (challenger) vs Grandmaster Phunk (champion)[/COLOR][/B] Unfortunately, this match didn't quite live up the the hype involved The brawling was decent, both guys turned in some good offense, but the selling on the other end just wasn't there -- that's the one thing Dozer really needs to work on. Phunk acted completely overmatched, having to work hard to cheat his way to an advantage, but there wasn't an underhanded tactic in the world that could've helped Phunk escape from the Dozer Driver, as Brandon Smith scored a clean victory to claim the gold in a shocker. [B]Winner, and new NYCW Empire Champion: Bulldozer Brandon Smith Rating: D+ Overall: D+ [/B] As you may have guessed, NYCW just isn't big enough for the Grandmaster Phunk and Black Hat Bailey anymore -- they're gone. We fired Honest Frank too. The turnover continues... even when we don't want it to, as Frankie Perez -- the new Tri-State champion about to be groomed for a huge feud with the Dozer, has signed a developmental deal with PGHW and is set to report to Pro Wrestling SAISHO within the week. Jimmy Cox is a big star in Japan, it's official -- he is the new CGC World Champion, ending the 25 defense reign of Hiroyuasu Gakusha. GCG lost their new champ in short order, as Cox will miss 2 weeks with a swollen elbow. TBA 1.0 Flashback: Cox languished in our lower midcard for a year or so before really turning it on. Acting like a foreign heel, representing Japan, Cox had a great series of matches with Haruki Kudo, including the 2008 MOTY. He followed that up with an incredibly successful team with Steve Flash, and ended the diary embroiled in a big feud with Esiaku Hoshino. [B][I][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Next time. Next and Eisen Youth meet for the tag titles. Two big debuts are set for NYCW Manhattan Mayhem, it'll be the invasion of former SWF tag wrestlers. Kid Toma will be making his first appearance in an NYCW ring. Shady K gets a big chance his first time up, getting first crack at The Dozer. The Tri-State title is vacant, former Champion Steve Flash is the #1 Contender, but he won't be handed the gold. His opponent? There's a story behind that.[/COLOR][/I][/B] I signed Frankie Perez even though I wanted to steer away from loading up on guys from the old diary -- if I wanted to do the same old thing, I would've imported the TEW05 data and ran EPW. Some guys I can't sign because of new contracts in 07 (Valiant, Minnesota, Nevada Nuclear, Scout) Others don't want to sign with us because of our size (Champagne, Hawkins) Others are blocked because of owner goals (Oxford, though that's a contract thing too, Braun, Keith & Tyler, though they're contracted as well). Rip's still going strong with MAW, he's out of the question. There is one guy, however, who is available. He was a big star in the first TBA, a two-time Empire Champion. I see no reason why he won't be huge this time around. [B][I][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Strap in kids, Mean Jean Cattley is coming to NYCW.[/COLOR][/I][/B]

[B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][SIZE="3"]July 2007 NYCW: Manhattan Mayhem Crowd: 300 (sellout) [/SIZE][/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Shady K interview[/COLOR][/B] K rushed the ring to start the show, not even accompanied by entrance music. "I heard that there's a guy running around NYCW now, calls himself the Bulldozer, acting like he's the new baddest man on the block. Bulldozer, you can't be the baddest man on the block 'till you've been on the cell block. You follow me kid? When you were on the football field tackling people, I was behind bars, fighting for my life. Now it's your turn to fight for yours." [B]Rating: D+ [COLOR="RoyalBlue"] NYCW Tag Team Titles Eisen Youth (challengers) vs Next (champions)[/COLOR][/B] More of the same from these two teams, keeping things in the D range once again. Next did a good job of keeping Joey Rotten in the ring, cutting him off from his tag team partner until the inevitable hot tag to C.B. Geebee, who cleaned house until Cameron Vessey took him out with a diving clip to the back of the knee. Next isolated C.B. for the remainder of the match, with Cameron eventually submitting him with a figure four leglock. [B]Winners, and still NYCW Tag Team Champions: Next Rating: D [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Patriotic music brought American Elemental to the ring.[/COLOR][/B] The masked man thanked the crowd for their support -- with the crowd delivering the typical "USA! USA!" chants. Elemental told the packed house that he had just finished a tour of Japan, but it was great to be home, and especially great to finally fight in the biggest city in the country, drawing a (cheap) pop from the New York Faithful. [B]Rating: D [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Kid Toma vs Sammy the Shark[/COLOR][/B] Sammy's versatility makes him a good fit to be the first opponent for the Kid. Good start for the former Samoan Wildboy, who traded strikes for much of the match, pretty much having his way with the shark, before finishing the job with the Suidical Samoan Headbutt for the pinfall. [B]Winner: Kid Toma Rating: D [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Next cut a promo to follow[/COLOR][/B] bascially gloating to everyone that they dismantled Eisen Youth tonight. Explaining that they did not feel there were any teams in NYCW that could challenge them (an accurate statement), they were going to challenge anyone who wanted a fight to singles competition next month. [B]Rating: D- [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Rafael Ruiz vs American Elemental [/COLOR][/B] Now this was a pleasant surprise. Elemental and Ruiz put on a mat clinic, trading holds with a fluidity that you'd expect from people who've worked against each other dozens of times before. Ruiz got a fair amount of offense in, but in the end it was Elemental who scored the win, countering a German Suplex with an elbow and a bulldog, then getting the fall after an Inferno Splash. [B]Winner: American Elemental} Rating: C [COLOR="RoyalBlue"] Steve Flash was in the back getting ready... [/COLOR][/B] lacing up a boot when an attractive young woman walked through the door. "Uncle Steve!" she exclaimed, "I can't wait until you get your title back." Flash addressed his "niece" by the name Dharma (Gregg, of BSC fame) and invited her to come to the ring to check things out "just be careful out there," the former Tri-State champion warned. [B]Rating: D- [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]NYCW Tri-State Title Mean Jean Cattley vs Steve Flash[/COLOR] [/B] Now this is a TBA 1.0 flashback. I checked the original game, and Flash was 134-39-4 there. Cattley was 119-55-10. Good, not great match, with Mean Jean ingratiating himself to the New York faithful by cheating every time the referee diverted his attention. The finish saw Flash throw Cattley to the ring apron, trying to bring him in with a side suplex, but Cattley had found the time to pull a foreign object out of his tights. He popped Flash with it, knocking him out and allowing Cattley to score the cheap pinfall for the title. [B]Winner, and new NYCW Tri-State Champion: Mean Jean Cattley Rating: C- [COLOR="RoyalBlue"] Bulldozer Brandon Smith interview.[/COLOR][/B] The Dozer told the crowd that a lot of what Shady K said was true -- he didn't have to grow up in the roughest neighborhoods, he was on the football field for a big part of his life, and Shady did have to fight hard for everything he has. "What Shady K doesn't know is," Dozer said, "I have more heart, more burning desire than anyone in this business." [B]Rating: D+ [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]NYCW Empire Title Shady K (challenger) vs Bulldozer Brandon Smith (champion)[/COLOR][/B] Very good brawl, which spilled out of the ring on many occasions, with the two men barely able to answer Michael Bull's ten count on several occasions. Shady took control late, hitting a piledriver for a razor close two count, but missed a clothesline to follow up and ate a big football tackle for a close two for the champion. The action spilled outside one more time, with both men brawling away from ringside and up the entrance, where Shady hit the K Killer, leaving Dozer knocked out on the mat. Shady tried to drag Smith back to the ring, but realized that he wouldn't be able to before the count hit ten -- all he could do was run back at nine to secure a countout victory. [B]Winner by countout: Shady K (Bulldozer Brandon Smith retains the Empire Title) Rating: C Overall: C-[/B] [B][U]NEWZ![/U][/B] The Exploders, the team of Kurt Laramee and Enforcer Roberts, have been going strong in SWF as tag champions, winning the belts from The Biggz Boyz before Brett's departure. Though he's still around, Bart Biggz recently dropped the Shooting Star title to Darryl Devine. Nene Ebina announced her retirement. CZCW rose, as Shawn Gonzales has booked himself into a feud with Donnie J that has been money. They offered a PPA deal to Mario Heroic. New TV shows are in the work for the rising Japanese outfit Golden Canvas Grappling, looking to regain their crown as the top promotion in Japan. OLLIE looks to reclaim that title in Mexico, and have inked a TV deal to help their cause -- they were the only Mexican promotion without one, as SOTBPW had one all year, with MPWF Lucha launching back in June. We return next month with [B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]NYCW Gang Wars[/COLOR][/B], sure to be a show worth seeing. [B][I][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]American Elemental and Rafael Ruiz get another chance to steal the show. Tag team action as Steve Flash teams with Mario Heroic to face Mean Jean Cattley and Wayne Davis. Next find their way back into singles competition -- Cameron Vessey has drawn American Machine, Jacob Jett gets a golden opportunity to win the big gold, he's facing Bulldozer Brandon Smith. [/COLOR][/I][/B]

Quick thanks to readers Old and New for the overwhelmingly positive response. [B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][SIZE="3"]NYCW Gang Wars Crowd: 300[/SIZE] Will Hayes promo[/COLOR][/B] The talented technician went on a story about jetsetting to Japan, talking about the "screaming schoolgirls wanting his autograph" Of course, nice guy Will Hayes signed every last one of them. The promo didn't go over so well, making me think this Teen Idol gimmick ought to be scrapped for something a little more serious. [B]Rating: E+ [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Gargantuan vs Cal Sanders [/COLOR][/B] Poor Cal Sanders. Not only does he job horribly, but he's up against a guy so green, he can't even make him look good doing it. Time of Destruction: 1 minute, 39 seconds. [B]Winner: Gargantuan Rating: E [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]The Masked Mauler vs Will Hayes[/COLOR] [/B] Good match, not great, with Mauler going strong early with some basic brawling before Will Hayes took him down and kept him on the mat for a while. Mauler never really got back in the swing of things, eventually succumbing to an STO for the pinfall. [B]Winner: Will Hayes Rating; D [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Jacob Jett promo[/COLOR][/B] Jett continued to play up his ****iness, but also did a good job of putting Dozer over, calling him a "force of nature" and "one of the most powerful guys I've ever seen wrestle." Progressing with that point, Jett said against most guys, Smith would win easily. "But I'm not most guys. I'm the fastest, the best technical wrestler in the world, I am a the offspring of the union of genetics and drive, created for the sole purpose of being the best wrestler in the entire world." [B]Rating: D [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]American Machine vs Cameron Vessey[/COLOR][/B] Vessey is a future investment -- unless NOTBPW decides they want him (we have non-aggression pacts right now with SWF, TCW, CGC, and all the big Japanese feds except INSPIRE -- American Machine will be wrestling Phunk on the indy circuit in a few months. This one was a foregone conclusion, with the Vessey Driver finishing things up cleanly. [B]Winner: Cameron Vessey Rating: D [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]American Elemental Promo[/COLOR][/B] Not the best promo in the world, but Elemental's premise was a solid one -- telling a tale of facing the best that America had to offer (presumably when he spent a week in TCW) facing the best Japan had to offer (seemingly jobbing to the entire INSPIRE, GCG, and WLW rosters), seguing into having the honor of facing the best Mexico has to offer in his return match with Rafael Ruiz. [B]Rating: E [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]American Elemental vs Rafael Ruiz[/COLOR][/B] Another very good match. Ruiz is used to working with guys who love to take to the air, and has adapted his game to really play off well against the high fliers. Elemental, for his part, could probably have a decent match with just about anyone. Things looked to be going Ruiz's way late, until Elemental rolled through a flying body press to score a surprise pin. [B]Winner: American Elemental Rating: C- [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Bulldozer Brandon Smith promo[/COLOR][/B] "Not to jump in with the mutual admiration society," Dozer started, "But I do have a lot of respect for Jacob Jett. He is everything he says he is -- quick as lightning, a scientist on the mat, a tag team champion at twenty years old. Does that mean that I should just roll over and die because I'm wrestling a prodigy? I don't think so -- I didn't get to the top by being the most gifted, I got here by working harder, never giving up, and facing every challenge that stood in my way!" Good babyface promo that didn't kill the heel. [B]Rating: D+ [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Mean Jean Cattley & Wayne Davis vs Mario Heroic & Steve Flash[/COLOR][/B] Flash and Cattley started off early, with Flash pummeling the Tri-State champ with lefts and rights until he bailed out, though Flash threw him back in. MJC escaped to the corner, tagging out to Davis, then spent the rest of the match avoiding Flash like the plague (the disease, not Black Eagle) It was Cattley and Heroic in the ring, when the tag was made to Flash late in the match. Flash rushed into the ring, zipping past Heroic and tackling Cattley. That was where Flash made his big mistake, as [B][I]Mario Heroic grabbed his partner from behind, planting him with an Inverted DDT[/I][/B]. The rest was academic, and Cattley had one-upped the former Tri-State champ once more. [B]Winner: Mean Jean Cattley & Wayne Davis Rating: D [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Triumphant, Jean Cattley took the mic[/COLOR][/B] "Steve Flash, you've got to be the stupidest man on the planet." Boos rained down from the 300 packing the house. "You really think you can trust anyone? You really think there ain't one man in NYCW who wants to run with the best?" Cattley pointed at himself, Heroic, and Davis. "That's us, we're the best in the business today: Team Mean!" [B]Rating: D [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]NYCW Empire Title Jacob Jett (challenger) vs Bulldozer Brandon Smith (champion)[/COLOR][/B] Dozer came out like a house of fire, charging Jett... who deftly sidestepped, making the champion eat turnbuckle. Jett would stay one step ahead of Dozer for most of the match, but when the champ got hold of Jett, he made it count, with big moves like Powerslams and sick looking football tackles. Jett's big mistake was trying a Sunset flip -- Smith caught him in the air, bringing him down with a Backdrop Driver to retain the gold. [B]Winner, and still NYCW Empire Champion: Bulldozer Brandon Smith Rating: C- OVR: D+[/B] I don't know how I missed this -- it might have something to do with this happening all the time in parallel universes -- but DAVE and TCW are currently without TV shows. SWF Supreme TV runs only in the UK, which leaves USPW - The TV Show as the most popular wrestling broadcast in America, with a rating hovering in the 1.2's. NOTBPW Championship Wrestling comes in second on the same network, though they're skyrocketing, going from a .12 to a .82 in 9 weeks time. TCW is definitely setting up to get to the next level, however, inking Remo Richardson to a deal, putting him over Liberty at Summer Showdown. Steve Frehley shouldn't be far behind. the war between TCW and NOTBPW for the title of top promotion in North America could be something to watch for years to come. Even worse news for DAVE -- they're now without a PPV deal, leaving TCW as the only American promotion on PPV, with USPW being the only one on TV. Since it's the only place they have TV exposure, SWF decided to run it's Welcome to the Jungle PPV in the UK, which could've been a colossal mistake, as the show wasn't well received at all, with a E+ rating and a 0.61 buyrate -- about 1/5 of the buys TCW got for Summer Showdown. Even the UK fans hated the show, with the main event -- Skill Debones retaining the World Title over Jack Bruce, only scoring an E+. A score of D- was the high water mark, reached by Sexual Aggression vs High Concept, Christian Faith vs Squeeky McClean, and Rich Money regaining the North American title from Lobster Warrior. The lowlight was Kurt Laramee's win over Big Smack Scott, an F+ according to reports. In response to this, Sam Keith has been removed as booker of SWF. To apply or not to apply.... Big coup for DAVE, as they've signed a PPA deal with one of the biggest stars available -- Wolf Hawkins. Dallas McWade left the promotion, joining his brother Dean in signing a written contract with NOTBPW. Another huge coup in Japan, where BHOTWG has stolen Russian Giant Marat Khoklov from INSPIRE. Luckily, Billy Russell had dethroned the Russian of his King of Fighters distinction before the jump happened. Duane Fry's stay as an announcer for TCW may be a short one -- word has it that the Tennessee native has heat with the boss. The beginning of November was a big time in wrestling, as Larry Vessey and Ryu Kajahara hung up the tights for good, with Casey Valentine entering the business. Though we've signed 4 rookies so far -- The Dozer, Cam Vessey, Gargantuan, and Davis Wayne Newton -- I'll hold off on Valentine. This roster needs experience, if anything. 21CW Backstreet Battle saw a new champion crowned, as Rolling Johnny Stones unseated Joss Thompson for the gold Huge show coming up next month, it's NYCW: Gang Wars. [I][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]-Whistler is back and ready to fight his way back to the top of NYCW mountain. However, to get to the top of the mountain, he'll have to fight a mountain of a man -- Fern Hathaway's 7'1, 435 pound Gargantuan. -Fresh off of turning his back on Steve Flash, Mario Heroic looks to continue his momnentum against the always dangerous American Elemental. -Mean Jean Cattley has set up a gauntlet for Steve Flash. If he wants another shot at the NYCW Tri-State Title, he has to beat the other members of Cattley's Team Mean. Up first is the youth of the squad, Wayne Davis, who has broken away from Fern Hathaway and bust out on his own as a charter member of Team Mean. -Kid Toma looks to fight his way into title contention. A victory over the Mexican Wrestling Machine will go a long way. The Machine is better known as Rafael Ruiz, though Ruiz has told NYCW staff (through an interpeter) that he has decided to don a mask, hoping he will gain the edge over his newfound hooded rival American Elemental. [/B][/COLOR][/I] [B][I][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]-Bulldozer Brandon Smith can thank his 278 pounds of dead weight for still being the Empire Champion. Shady K was unable to drag him back to the ring to pin him last time -- can the Dozer survive a rematch, or will the Ultimate Thug gain some gold?[/COLOR][/I][/B]

A shocking show of progression in the SWF, as the book to the one time largest promotion in the world of wrestling has been given to... Farrah Hesketh. Wow. What a shocker. This has never happened before. Ever. [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]NYCW: Gang Wars Crowd: 829 (Yep, we've hit E)[/B][/COLOR] [B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"] "Tricky" Rick Sanders vs Cal Sanders[/COLOR][/B] The battle of the... uh... Sanderses. I was resigned to having Rick be one of the guys who didn't really do much other than put guys over until his contract ran out, but he's too good for that, and works fairly cheap for one of the over guys. New gimmick for Sanders here, as the guy who goes above and beyond to dupe his opponent. He had a trick up his sleeve to beat Cal: a simple handful of tights did the job. [B]Winner: "Tricky" Rick Sanders D+ [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Whistler Promo[/COLOR][/B] The original American Made Man give us the standard veteran promo, announcing that he's fought some of the biggest, some of the toughest in the world, but even he had to be in awe of Gargantuan. "But big man, let me tell you this," Whistler said, starting to close, "this ain't gonna be a walk in the park for you -- you're getting the fight of your life tonight, guaranteed." [B]Rating: D+ [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Whistler vs Gargantuan[/COLOR][/B] Tonight's "wrestling skill optional" contest got of to the start Whistler predicted, with the patriotic fan favorite unloading on Fern Hathaway's Giant, with the blows having absolutely no effect on Gargantuan whatsoever. Headbutt, Ultimate Backbreaker, Stretcher Job. Thank you, good night. [B]Winner: Gargantuan Rating: E [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Kid Toma vs Mexican Wrestling Machine[/COLOR][/B] Rafael Ruiz, a very good worker, is unfortunately about as bland as they come, hence the new gimmick. I discussed openly with new color commentator Dharma the idea that Ruiz has felt shamed by his losses to American Elemental, and has cloaked himself in an effort to gain an edge. No edge here, as SWF castoff Toma had his way with the Machine, overcoming the technician and putting him away with the Samoan Suicide Strike. [B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"] Winner: Kid Toma Rating: D+ Dharma left the broadcast booth, ready to manage her "uncle" Steve Flash.[/COLOR][/B] Dharma explained the rules of the gauntlet -- Flash would need to beat Wayne Davis tonight and Mario Heroic next month to earn a Tri-State Title shot in two months time. She was interupted by Wayne Davis, now bringing out a large, almost gallon sized bottle of water instead of Fern Hathaway -- good, the water bottle has better mic skills -- Davis told Dharma to save her breath, Uncle Steve wasn't making it past the first roadblock in his way. Taking the attacks one step farther, Davis told Dharma to come closer to him "So I look better by comparison." Dharma responded with a slap, Davis responded by dousing her with water. That brought Flash out to rush the ****y kid, leading to the start of the match. [B]Rating: D [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Mean Jean's Gauntlet: Step 1 Wayne Davis vs Steve Flash[/COLOR][/B] Very good match, as Davis is quickly vaulting over the Next guys to be the top prospect in NYCW. Flash had complete control much of the way, using his edge in experience to compensate for Davis' sheer atheticism. A Flash Bang was broken up, leading Davis to SPIKE Flash with a sick looking Implant DDT, which was enough to give Davis the shocking upset, ending Flash's quest for the Tri-State title. [B]Winner: Wayne Davis Rating: C- [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Mario Heroic Hit the ring...[/COLOR][/B] And the attack was on, both men battering Flash before really adding an exclamation point in the form of a Spike Piledriver. That led to a stretcher job, as I speculated that we may have seen the last of Steve Flash. Let's hope he didn't contract long term amnesia from that piledriver. [B]Rating: E [COLOR="RoyalBlue"] American Elemental Promo[/COLOR][/B] A.E. took the mic time to lambaste Mario Heroic for being anything but Heroic last month, given his reprehensible actions against Steve Flash, compounded by the attack we just saw. A.E. called Heroic a bully, "nothing more than a dishonorable bully." The final point: if Steve Flash wasn't going to be around to deal with Team Mean, he would. [B]Rating: E [COLOR="RoyalBlue"] Mario Heroic vs American Elementa[/COLOR]l[/B] Another really good match, perhaps the most high-impact high flying NYCW match ever, given that the style has never really been emphasized here, but these two -- Elemental in particular, did well keeping it on the ground as well. The big finish came when American Elemental planted Heroic with a Square Driver, then went to the top to finish it off with an Inferno Splash, only for Wayne Davis to blatantly throw him off, leading to the disqualification. No beatdown, as security swarmed the ring before another injury could occur. [B]Winner: American Elemental Rating: C- [COLOR="RoyalBlue"] Bulldozer Brandon Smith promo[/COLOR][/B] Showing honesty rare for the wrestling business (on or off camera), Smith confessed that he was incredibly lucky to survive the first meeting with Shady K with his title intact. "If the referee counted to 20 instead of 10, Shady K would be walking around with this belt right now," Dozer claimed. "That's why I talked to the NYCW front office this morning, I asked them for something, and I got it. Tonight, I don't want that excuse -- so there will be no countouts tonight." [B]Rating: D+ [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]NYCW Empire Title [I]No Countout[/I] Shady K (challenger) vs Bulldozer Brandon Smith (champion)[/COLOR] [/B] There was a dual purpose to the rule change, as this one went all over the building, with the referee conveniently declining to call DQ's as well. Shady K had a repeat performance, hitting the K Killer on the floor. This time, Shady dragged Dozer all the way back, where Smith kicked out at two. Shady tried another one, but Smith slid out behind it, grabbing the challenger quickly and sending him down hard with a Backdrop Driver, which was enough to score the pinfall. [B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Winner, and still NYCW Empire Champion: Bulldozer Brandon Smith Rating: C[/COLOR] Overall: D+ [/B] Up next: News of the world, updates on the next card, and the fate of Steve Flash... REVEALED!!! (ok, he asked for too much money and we couldn't resign him. Just read Dragonmack's diary for the happenings around the world -- it's pretty much the same.)

Archived