SmackDown to Leave The CW

Akki

According to numerous sources and a press release by WWE, SmackDown will be leaving The CW at the end of the 2007-2008 broadcast season. After nine years on UPN and then The CW, WWE has started shopping SmackDown to other networks after negotiations between WWE and The CW ended. Well, can't say it makes too much of a difference to me, although I hope it stays at the current timeslot when it moves to its new home. If it went back to Thursdays, I would probably choose TNA. And I hope its not on some wacky channel I don't receive.

Meh. The day WWE leaves Sky here in the UK is the day Sky folds - it's about the last thing Sky will ever give up, as they have to share the football rights nowadays. Still, WWE usually manages to put together some funny ads to advertise that they're moving days/networks etc. Should be good to see them at least. How do channels in the States deal with this sort of thing? Do they feature advertising for other channels on their airtime? It's common in the UK, but I can imagine that some channels just wouldn't want to do it.

[QUOTE=James Casey;369985]How do channels in the States deal with this sort of thing? Do they feature advertising for other channels on their airtime? It's common in the UK, but I can imagine that some channels just wouldn't want to do it.[/QUOTE] A lot of channels are owned by the same company so if it's just moving to a different channel owned by the same company that owns CW you'll see a lot of adds and commentary for Coach about the move. If a different parent company owns the chammel you won't hear anything about it on TC just on the WWE website as was the case witht he move from UPN to CW.

[QUOTE=NickC13573;370238]and Whenever they mention it on WWE TV, they will censor it, as with Raw from Spike to USA.[/QUOTE] Although apparently Vince McMahon made a call to the Spike execs after his speech was censored, so later on in the show, the censorship was gone (of course, the announcers also said it every two seconds, so it was bound to get through eventually). The whole UPN-CW thing was weird, because CW was a merger between UPN and the WB. In some places, CW took the same channel that UPN had, in others, it was the same channel the WB had. The other channel was eventually taken by MyNetworkTV. Here in Los Angeles, UPN was replaced by MyNetworkTV a month before the CW was scheduled to go on the air. So WWE made a deal with KTLA (the local WB station, and current CW station) to air a condensed version of SmackDown at about 10PM every Friday or Saturday until the changeover was done. As a side note, the last piece of original programming to air on UPN was SmackDown.

[QUOTE=jamck;370352]I hope they don't go to spike because since I upgraded my channels to 2-200 I don't get spike anymore or much instead I get punchmuch and I could get the fight network[/QUOTE] Yeah... I think there's no way in hell that SmackDown is going to Spike, seeing how Spike screwed WWE with RAW, and that they carry TNA now.

[QUOTE=Basmat01;370405]A another network would be nuts not to pick Smackdown up. A 2 hour WWE show cost half of what a normal 1 hour tv show would and it has a ready made fan base. Now that I think of it did WWE get effected by the Writers Strike?[/QUOTE] I think that writers aren't part of the WGA, so no, they haven't been affected. I guess that WWE writers are under contract to WWE, not USA or any other networks, while most WGA writers are under contract to the networks or production companies.

i thought all writers were members of the wga, although they could have gotten a independent contract with them like a few of the other shows did. I remember one of the late night talk shows got there writers to stay on, i think it was the late show.

[QUOTE=alden;370413]i thought all writers were members of the wga, although they could have gotten a independent contract with them like a few of the other shows did. I remember one of the late night talk shows got there writers to stay on, i think it was the late show.[/QUOTE] It was the Late Show and the Late Late Show (which I'm watching right now). David Letterman's production company, Worldwide Pants, signed a contract with their writers that pretty much matches the demands of the WGA. And not all writers are part on the WGA. Reality show writers, for example, aren't. Neither are newscast writers.

[quote=alden;370377]I would be shocked as hell if it did not end up on usa. I don't see it going to nbc *if any wrestling show went to network tv it would be raw*. I don't think sci fi would do it either.[/quote] In addition to this: As far as NBC goes, SNME's ratings have sucked and the only reason SD! could be plausible on NBC would be if the writer's strike weren't ending, which hopefully it will be in the next day.

[QUOTE=sprinklefurball;371116]In addition to this: As far as NBC goes, SNME's ratings have sucked and the only reason SD! could be plausible on NBC would be if the writer's strike weren't ending, which hopefully it will be in the next day.[/QUOTE] And really it's no wonder. What is there to make SNME special anymore? You have multiple shows a week on easily accessible channels. You have a PPV every month. And writers don't always appear to understand the medium they are dealing with. If they were a second tier promotion with limited PPV access, okay. But really WWE is so big at this stage that SNME is overkill.

Archived