WCW 1998: A prequel to "Death of WCW"

[QUOTE=keefmoon;534950]What?! What do you mean honour is coming?! Damn tease! Awesome. It's these little jokey touches that I just adore in this diary. You know, along with the booking and writing style. And the fact that it's pure quality. :p Another great show. Love Benoit pwning DDP, REALLY loved Hogan getting owned on the microphone, loved you owning him in the write up ("They think you suck. So do we") and all in all it worked. Nothing all that huge happened, but it served to get interest raised for the PPV and kept me interested all the way through. That's how you book, right there.[/QUOTE] As the snow flies on a cold and gray Chicago morning there's something abound at Spring Stampede...Stampede. Honour will be restored. [QUOTE=G-Prime;534999]Didn't even noticed you had the full card posted mate, must have missed that post. Here goes... WCW Cruiserweight Championship: [B]Rey Mysterio Jr[/B] (c) v Eddie Guerrero [I]I know how high you are on Rey Rey, and he's just got to prove to Eddie that he's better, before moving on to greater things.[/I] WCW Television Championship: 'Lord' Steven Regal (c) v [B]Ultimo Dragon[/B] [I]Regal is too good for this belt now. Time to move on.[/I] nWo Tag Team Championships - No Disqualifications: 'K-Dawg' Konnan and Curt Hennig (c) v [B]The Steiner Brothers[/B] v Harlem Heat [I]Weren't Harlem Heat feuding a few months ago? The sudden reunion bugs me a little. The Steiners to win here, perhaps to cause a schism between Konnan and Hennig?[/I] The Outsiders v [B]Bret 'The Hitman' Hart and 'The British Bulldog' Davey Boy Smith[/B] [I]By DQ, following nWo interference.[/I] [B]'Hollywood' Hulk Hogan[/B] v The Giant [I]The Hulkster needs momentum, before Goldberg gets his shot. He'll cheat to get it though.[/I] Buff 'The Stuff' Bagwell v [B]Goldberg[/B] [I]It's Goldberg. It'll take more than The Stuff to stop that machine.[/I] 'Total Package' Lex Luger v [B]Raven[/B] [I]Probably with the Flock's help.[/I] nWo United States Championship: [B]'The Master of the Diamond Cutter' Diamond Dallas Page (c)[/B] v 'The Rabid Wolverine' Chris Benoit [I]Benoit won on Thunder, and probably could have won cleanly. DDP with the tainted victory.[/I] WCW World Heavyweight Championship: [B]Sting (c)[/B] v 'Lionheart' Chris Jericho [I]As well as you're pushing Jericho, you're a talented enough booker to know he's not quite ready for the title, but this title shot will certainly lock him into that main event spot, and next time he'll be ready.[/I][/QUOTE] [QUOTE=Astil;535071]WCW Cruiserweight Championship: [B]Rey Mysterio Jr (c)[/B] v Eddie Guerrero WCW Television Championship: [B]'Lord' Steven Regal (c)[/B] v Ultimo Dragon nWo Tag Team Championships - No Disqualifications: [B]'K-Dawg' Konnan and Curt Hennig (c)[/B] v The Steiner Brothers v Harlem Heat The Outsiders v [B]Bret 'The Hitman' Hart and 'The British Bulldog' Davey Boy Smith[/B] [B]'Hollywood' Hulk Hogan[/B] v The Giant Buff 'The Stuff' Bagwell v [B]Goldberg[/B] [B]'Total Package' Lex Luger[/B] v Raven nWo United States Championship: [B]'The Master of the Diamond Cutter' Diamond Dallas Page (c)[/B] v 'The Rabid Wolverine' Chris Benoit WCW World Heavyweight Championship: [B]Sting (c)[/B] v 'Lionheart' Chris Jericho[/QUOTE] Thanks for the tips, as always fellas.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WCW Cruiserweight Championship: [B]Rey Mysterio Jr (c)[/B] v Eddie Guerrero WCW Television Championship: 'Lord' Steven Regal (c) v [B]Ultimo Dragon[/B] nWo Tag Team Championships - No Disqualifications: 'K-Dawg' Konnan and Curt Hennig (c) v [B]The Steiner Brothers[/B] v Harlem Heat [B]The Outsiders[/B] v Bret 'The Hitman' Hart and 'The British Bulldog' Davey Boy Smith 'Hollywood' Hulk Hogan v [B]The Giant[/B] Buff 'The Stuff' Bagwell v [B]Goldberg[/B] 'Total Package' Lex Luger v [B]Raven[/B] nWo United States Championship: [B]'The Master of the Diamond Cutter' Diamond Dallas Page (c)[/B] v 'The Rabid Wolverine' Chris Benoit WCW World Heavyweight Championship: Sting (c) v [B]'Lionheart' Chris Jericho[/B] [I]Last match here a big upset![/I]

[CENTER][IMG]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/tristramwcw/stampede.gif[/IMG][/CENTER] We cut backstage to the start of the show, as 'Lionheart' Chris Jericho enters the arena in a smart suit, with gold tinted sunglasses on. The media is gathered at the backstage entrance, but Jericho looks extremely apprehensive and nervous as he shrugs them off and walks past them. "Welcome everybody to Spring Stampede 1998," Tony Schiavone adds. "Tonight everything goes on the line including the biggest prize in the history of our sport, this promises to be the greatest night in professional wrestling history. Welcome everybody, I'm Tony Schiavone and with me at ringside tonight, 'Iron' Mike Tenay and Bobby 'The Brain' Heenan, and guys, let me tell you, I've never seen Chris Jericho so nervous." "It promises to be a spectacular event," Tenay comments, "Not only are we live here in Charlotte, North Carolina in one of WCW's true hotbeds, not only does Sting put his World Heavyweight Championship on the line against Chris Jericho of the New World Order, not only does 'Hollywood' Hulk Hogan run head on into the Giant, but tonight also in action you have the likes of Rey Mysterio Jr, Eddie Guerrero, 'Lord' Steven Regal, Ultimo Dragon, the Steiner Brothers, Harlem Heat, the list goes on and on and on. One match I'm very excited about guys is for the United States Championship, Diamond Dallas Page has to defend it on behalf of the nWo against Chris Benoit. What a match that promises to be." "Tonight could mark the beginning of a new generation guys," Heenan adds. "I've never been so excited to see so many great wrestlers all in one night of wrestling, the hameneggers who watch the other show are sure in for a shock or two tonight when they ask the famous question, where were you when... because tonight, you can feel it, in Charlotte something is going to happen." "Oh boy, is it ever, let's go to David Penzer for the introductions for the opening bout on the card." [CENTER][SIZE="4"][B]WCW Cruiserweight Championship Rey Mysterio Jr (c) v Eddie Guerrero[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER] There was once a communal respect between Guerrero and Rey, but that respect has gone by the wayside. Guerrero has taken as many short cuts as he can to undermine his lucha libre colleagues, even at the expense of trying to destroy his own nephew. It should be fitting then that tonight he has to face his biggest rival, Rey Mysterio Jr, a man of great heart and courage. These two have featured in many Pay-Per-View spectaculars, stealing many shows across the States. Tonight was no exception, Rey tried to make it a fast paced encounter while Eddie shrewdly brought the referee into play with various complaints designed solely to take the fire out of Rey's spectacular adrenalin. After a fierce contest, Rey started to gain the ascendency, and his thrilling daredevil speed display of gallant and pageantry in the ring and over the top rope began to wear down Guerrero. He then went for a hurricanrana, and he rolled through....1....2.... Guerrero though rolled him through...1....2.... Rey counters by rolling back, 1....2.... Guerrero again, this time with a hand full of tights...1....2....3! Oh no, what a coward! Rey can't believe it, but Eddie paint brushes him and gnaws at the laces on the back of his mask. [CENTER][B]Your Winner:[/B] Via pinfall, and NEW WCW Cruiserweight Champion, Eddie Guerrero[/CENTER] Post match, Rey Mysterio Jr brought the Championship belt into the ring as Billy Silverman held Guerrero's arm aloft. Rey looked down at the belt and shook his head, Eddie put out his right hand but Rey was distraught, and dropped the belt, turned and left. Eddie smirked as Rey left the arena a beaten man. As Eddie Guerrero trudged back with the Cruiserweight Championship, 'Mean' Gene Okerlund waddled to the bottom of the entrance ramp. "Alright guys, I thank you. Tonight culminates a truly spectacular rivalry between Diamond Dallas Page and Chris Benoit, and some say that this tenacious feud cannot go on for the good of either competitor. Of course tonight, Diamond Dallas Page will put his United States Championship on the line against 'The Rabid Wolverine'... Chris Benoit!" [CENTER][I]Self High Five! n...W....o NN...NN...NEW WORLD ORDER[/I][/CENTER] And here comes Page, with his beautiful wife and valet, Kimberly. Page strolls out, and flashes the Diamond Cutter sign to a massive pyro pop behind him. "Dallas Page, many have said of late that your turn to the New World Order is one of the most scandalous events to ever his professional wrestling." "You know something Gene, this is the very thing I'm sick and tired of. You know what, you love me, you hate me, but you'll never forget me. And what's more Gene, when you look back through your Pro Wrestling Illustrateds, you read back to it all, you'll just see who won and who lost. Not how they won, or how they lost. And when you go to the pay-desk, all they verify is if you won, and if you hold the gold. And frankly Gene, both of those things I'm an expert at. So you can talk about scandals, you can talk about this and that, but what I ... and the nWo talk about is who we beat up, how much money we win, and how much gold we hold. That's what makes us winners, and the likes of you and all the other commentators out there, as well as these fans, great big losers." "Well now just hold on one second..." "No YOU hold on just one second Gene. You sit back there in your little production van and you crave for the moment you think the nWo is going to split. Well let me tell you something, that day will never come. You're going to have to accept that this is the way professional wrestling is, this is the way we've evolved it. You should be thanking me for what I've done, Gene. Tonight, you should be celebrating with me for my title defence. You see tonight Gene, Chris Benoit finds out what it means to FEEL....THE........" Page smiles to Kim, who leans forward and utters, "...Bang!" "Oh that's right Kimmy darling, and you know it all too well!" [CENTER][SIZE="4"][B]WCW Television Championship 'Lord' Steven Regal (c) v Ultimo Dragon[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER] We all know of the tactics that Regal has employed to retain this title, so it should come as no surprise that the Dragon is one of the many offended in the WCW locker room who felt they had due cause to believe they could and should be a WCW Television Champion. Regal's reign of terror has been brutal, it has featured many decapitations, but he too follows the Page mould - it's not how you win, it's THAT you win. Dragon came with his A-game, and the multi time champion of many various belts around the world really was standing up for the fight. When Regal wanted to get into a fist fight, Dragon would fly like a true Oriental superstar, but eventually Regal would slow it down with his variations of submission holds. Dragon eventually had to give up the Regal Stretch, after a low blow slowed down the Japanese star's progress. Another tainted win. [CENTER][B]Your Winner:[/B] Via submission, and STILL WCW Television Champion, Steven Regal[/CENTER] As [I]God Save the Queen[/I] was being sung out over the PA, the Click of Hooves interrupted and out came the 50/50 President of World Championship Wrestling, 'The Enforcer' Arn Anderson. He stood at the top of the ramp, as Regal looked on in dismay. "Tonight is a night of honour, Steven Regal. And son, I don't beleive you have any. Most of the locker room are sick and tired of your British high society antics, and tonight I promise you your reign of terror, your so called reign of terror at that, comes to the end. Because tonight, a true superstar ignites. He is a man who has a history with you Regal, someone who has vowed revenge on you.... Referee Robinson, you aren't going anywhere, because right here, right now, I'm commissioning a title defence, against... DEAN MALENKO!" [CENTER][SIZE="4"][B]WCW Television Championship 'Lord' Steven Regal (c) v 'The Man of 1000 Holds' Dean Malenko[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER] Regal vehomently complained to Charles Robinson, who merely shrugged his shoulders. Regal was frustrated, and he was worn out by the athletic speed of Ultimo Dragon. This gave Malenko the perfect opening, and while Regal tried to halt him with some vicious right hands, Malenko's list of variable moves always seem to have a counter. Regal tried to leave the ring, but Malenko grabbed him and hauled him back in. He whipped him into the corner... swinging neckbreaker! Regal was down hard, allowing Malenko to stomp at the right knee of Regal. Regal's legs were being brutalised, setting him up for... THE TEXAS CLOVERLEAF! Regal held on, he held on as long as he could, but... WE HAVE A NEW CHAMPION! [CENTER][B]Your Winner:[/B] Via submission, and NEW WCW Television Champion, Dean Malenko[/CENTER] Regal looked horrified, as Malenko took the belt that Regal had stolen away from hard workers like him with various inglorious tactics. [B][CENTER][SIZE="4"]nWo Tag Team Championships No Disqualifications 'K-Dawg' Konnan and Curt Hennig (c) v The Steiner Brothers v Harlem Heat[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B] Two brilliant veteran tag teams against the Champions. Think of the history involved here, think of how much these two teams have meant to the tag team ranks over the past decade. Has there been a better long standing tag team rivalry in the 90s? You'd have to think back to when tag team wrestling was at it's strongest with the likes of the Midnight Express, the Legion of Doom, the Minnesota Wrecking Crew and the like to remember when tag team wrestling could extract such a memorable group of wrestlers as the ones presented to us tonight. But while the Steiners and Harlem Heat had the experience tag, and while they had the tag of success eminating over their heads, the New World Order also had a further trick up their sleaves. Bringing disrepute into the match with the no disqualification clause, which effectively managed to carrell the match into a 3 man defence against the Steiners and Harlem Heat, who were not adverse to a heated rivalry themselves. Bringing Rick Rude in at the most inopportune times really helped add spice to this, and stopped Harlem Heat or the Steiners steam rolling the units with their various experiences of how to win big time tag team matches. The fight was brutal, without the premise of rules, Harlem Heat went back to their hard street fighting rules, knowing how to search under the ring to find trash cans, to find kendo sticks, to find tables, and to find general carnage. This allowed them to wear down their opponents, and they appeared to all and sundry to be about to claim the titles. With the Steiners scattered on the floor courtesy of kendo stick shots from Booker T, Stevie Ray looked to be setting up Curt Hennig. Enter Rick Rude, with the nWo briefcase. CRASH! Straight over the skull of Stevie Ray. Hennig dropped to the mat and merely covered...1....2... wait a second, what was in that briefcase...3! As the nWo music started, Rude opened the suitcase to find a couple of deadset bricks. As Page said before, it's not how you win, it's if you win. [CENTER][B]Your Winners:[/B] Via pinfall, and STILL nWo Tag Team Champions, Curt Hennig and Konnan[/CENTER] "What a disgrace guys, that briefcase was loaded!" Schiavone complains. The replay is flashing on the screen, and crash, Stevie Ray's skull rocks back. "I don't know how you can possibly stop this mayhem," Tenay adds. "Our world of professional wrestling is falling into anarchy right in front of our eyes." As one nWo tag team departed, another one entered. It was the ever present Outsiders, with the crowd hissing at their presence. As they strolled down to the ring, Hall took out his tooth pick and threw it at the camera lens. Inside the ring, Hall pointed to Nash who pulled the nWo finger sign. Hall then took a microphone from David Penzer. "Hey....Hey Yo. You may heard by now, but we've been going around the country taking a little survey. So, how many of you punks have come to see that lame....dubbya cee dubbya...." The crowd cheer unanamously. This is Flair country damn it. "Ok...Ok... How many of you are here to see.... the n....W.....o...." The crowd boo vociferiously. "Ok, survey says... One more for the good guys. Now why don't you punks in the back call for Bret Hart, and Davey Boy Smith. We've heard all the talk, now it's time to walk the walk. As I always say Big Kev, don't sing it, BRING IT!" [CENTER][SIZE="4"][B]The Outsiders v 'British Bulldog' Davey Boy Smith and Bret 'The Hitman' Hart[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER] A slower paced match here, the pace much slower, the cruscendo of the evening slowing down. Perhaps saving one last hurrah for the crowd, who were burning up with excitement. Hart came here with a mission to succeed, and he was willing to stop at nothing. His technical expertise was wearing the big man Kevin Nash, and the crowd were thoroughly enjoying this. Perhaps not wanting to overburden Nash with a long match, or more to the point Davey Boy who hasn't looked like prime British Beef or late, this one didn't last as long as expected. Outside the ring, Scott Hall and Bret Hart were going at it, fighting long and hard in the aisles. This left Big Sexy with the British Bulldog, and despite the power of Smith he was no match for the big man who finished him off savagely with the Jackknife Powerbomb. Bret Hart tried to make it back to the ring, but Scott Hall cut him off with a steel chair. [CENTER][B]Your Winners:[/B] Via pinfall, The Outsiders[/CENTER] Backstage, 'Mean' Gene Okerlund is in the Spring Stampede interview area, and he is joined by 'Hollywood' Hulk Hogan, complete with the boa feather ponce fest around his neck and the black and white bandana. Hogan poses, as Okerlund is faded into screenshot. "Alright guys, tonight of course this man right here goes head to head with the largest athlete in professional sports history. Hulk Hogan, you've faced many great challenges, have you faced a bigger one than this?" "Brother, I am the icon of professional wrestling, dude. Why should I fear the Giant? Fe-Fi-Fo-Fum brother, I lifted and slammed Andre the Giant, I defied King Kong Bundy, brother when they say Hulk Hogan couldn't win, he always found a way. When they said Hulk Hogan was dead, Hollywood was born dude. It's like I've said a thousand times, we've been up and down this road before brother. And no matter what challenge is laid before the icon of professional wrestling, I always find a way. I always find myself at the top, dude. And for a reason. You can't destroy a legend, no matter how big or small you are, it doesn't matter whether I have to scale the heights of Everest or swim through white water rapids, the only question the Giant has to ask himself is this.... WATCHA GONNA DO BROTHER, WATCHA GONNA DO, WHEN HOLLYWOOD RUNS WILD ON YOU!" Hogan storms off, leaving Gene looking his usual self. High on meth. [CENTER][SIZE="4"][B]The Giant v 'Hollywood' Hulk Hogan[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER] The slippery snake of professional wrestling, the big orange M&M himself against the largest man in professional sports. I'm hoping for 12 Bansai Drops in a row from the Giant. Perhaps a few moonsaults from the big man to flatten him for once and for all. Who is booking this nonsense? The Giant should be going over here. No matter which way you paint it, even though Hogan was using all sorts of devious tactics including eye rakes, he should not be going over here. You suck WCW. I'm thinking of starting to watch the F now. You know what happens here when I get this frustrated. [CENTER][B]Your Winner:[/B] Via pinfall, Hulk Hogan[/CENTER] As Hogan stood and celebrated another deceptive win, he looked on in fear as.... [I]GOLDBERG! GOLDBERG! GOLDBERG![/I] Yep, the storm trooper music started up. And here comes Chewba.. I mean Goldberg himself. The pyros go off, as Hogan finds an exit through the crowd, and Goldberg is storming his way to the ring. [CENTER][SIZE="4"][B]Goldberg v Buff 'The Stuff' Bagwell[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER] Honestly, who is booking this stuff? You cannot be telling me you booked Buff to beat Goldberg here? Okay okay, I kid, Bagwell had no chance. Splat. [CENTER][B]Your Winner:[/B] Via pinfall, Goldberg[/CENTER] Post match, Goldberg jawed up into the camera lens... "HOGAN! You're NEXT!" [CENTER][SIZE="4"][B]Ravens Rules 'Total Package' Lex Luger v Raven[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER] If there is a young man on the rise in World Championship Wrestling, it's Raven. And what a great opportunity here. Against a former two time WCW World Heavyweight Champion, a chance to defy the odds. Or stack the odds by unleashing the Flock. Yep, I tihnk he'll go the latter. Luger was constantly fending off the Flock. But in between times, when the Flock was not present, he could not withstand the brutality of that man Raven. Up and down the aisle he took Luger, defiling him with sheer menace. Is there a scarier site in profesisonal wrestling? Not for Luger, as he stared up at the ring lights, courtesy of the Evenflow DDT. A new star is born. [CENTER][B]Your Winner:[/B] Via pinfall, Raven[/CENTER] As Raven's arm was held aloft, there was a commotion in the crowd. Wait a second, where's security, a man has just jumped the guardrail. A masked man at that. Heaven forbid, I've never seen a masked man attack a professional wrestler before. BANG! A right forearm to the back of the head and Raven goes down. The man is ripping off the mask, thank you kind man for showing you who you a... oh my.... Let's let the mouth of WCW fill you in. "Who is this? Who the hell is this?" "Wait a second Tony, that's..." "I know who that is... He's not supposed to be here!" "Well he is, it's... KURT ANGLE! An Olympic Gold Medalist from the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta." "KURT ANGLE IS HERE! KURT ANGLE IS HERE! This is the greatest shock I've ever seen," yeah, sure it is Schiavone. How about the greatest shock being that you're still paid to be involved with this promotion. [CENTER][SIZE="4"][B]nWo United States Championship 'The Master of the Diamond Cutter' Diamond Dallas Page (c) v 'The Rabid Wolverine' Chris Benoit[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER] Page and Benoit circled the ring over an over, before finally locking up, with the veteran Page grabbing the ascendency using his extra height to grab a head lock on Benoit. Benoit tried to break the hold but as he pushed Page into the ropes, Page held on and was able to continue to cut the circulation. Finally Benoit broke free with some incisive elbows to the rib cage of Page, the well beaten ribcage. The two men went toe to toe, you know there's more marbles on the line when you see such a frenetic brawl. An intense brawl. Both men separated for a moment to regather their thoughts before locking up again, trying to obtain ascendency and domination in this vital match of good versus evil. Young versus veteran. The new face versus the old face of wrestling. Both men separated again, and as Page looked on in disbelief in the improvements in Benoit and how great a competitor he was, Benoit uttered, "something's coming", Page looked shell shocked. What did he mean? But no sooner did he have to contemplate it than Benoit had grabbed control. Both men still continued the brawl, and it went outside. Page used his extra height to grab ascendency again and then to whip Benoit into the unforgiving steel steps at ringside. Benoit hollared in agony, before Page whipped him back in. Page then immediately went for the Diamond Cutter, but Benoit shrugged him off, and then grabbed his left arm... CRIPPLER CROSSFACE! Page was in agony, but he was able to just get his hands to the rope. Both men slowly staggered to their feet, as Page poked Benoit in the eye... DIAMOND CUTTER! What a travesty. This whole night has been a stinken tragedy...1.....2.....THRE... NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Benoit got a shoulder up! Page looked shell shocked. How the hell do you get out of the Diamond Cutter. Page brought Benoit back up, and went for it again, but Benoit shrugged him off, and hit a great drop kick. Page stumbled back to his feet, german suplex! He held on... german suplex! And again... german suplex! Page landed hard on his head. Benoit went to the top rope, and slit his hand across his throat.... DIVING HEADBUTT! Benoit rolled around in agony too, before rolling back... CRIPPLER CROSSFACE! He's in the centre of the ring, you can't escape this! You can't! And he won't! [CENTER][B]Your Winner:[/B] Via submission, and NEW WCW United States Champion, Chris Benoit[/CENTER] Benoit grabs the back of his head, and struggles for air, before dropping to his knees. Referee Mickey Jay grabs his arm and holds it aloft, and he is given the United States Championship. He looks at it and immediately spits on it, and tries to rub the nWo spray paint off it. Page slowly back to his feet, he stumbles, and then looks to clothesline Benoit from behind but, but, ARN ANDERSON jumped in the ring and clotheslined Page! Page rolled out of the ring! What's this... they're giving Arn Anderson a microphone. "Can you smell it, Chris Benoit? Take a breath, can you smell it! There's a smell of ... honour in the air. About a year ago Chris, they said Arn Anderson the wrestler was dead. They said that what I had lived for was dead, Chris. And you know, I believed them. I let them walk all over me, for my soul was gone. It had no reason to fight. That was Chris Benoit, until I began watching the arrival of yourself. The journey of yourself. A young tiger, a man I knew I had a special role for. You see Chris, in you I see... me. Alive. Well. Victorious. I remember about five or six weeks ago Chris, I walked the back aisles at a Nitro event. The New World Order was running roughshod, and you looked me square in the eye and said... it can happen again. It can rise again. They say you're a man of few words Chris, you're a man of action. Well it got me to thinking, it's time to get acting. So tonight, what I propose to do Chris, is offer you a spot. But not just ANY spot. I'm offering you MY spot. On the greatest team of all... By god, Chris Benoit, I'm offering you MY spot in the FOUR HORSEMEN!" Benoit's eyes are glazed, tears are forming, as he walks up to Arn holds aloft the four fingers, and then hugs the great man. "But you know what Chris, as good as you are, the Horsemen rides in packs of fours. So let's get this show rolling, let's RESTORE HONOUR IN PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING! By god, I want to call down another man who walks the walk, he is the current Television Champion, DEAN MALENKO! Come on down!" Dean Malenko walks forward pensively from the back, he's wearing a black suit with a black bow tie. The diminutive Malenko continues to walk, and even the usually emotionless Malenko has a tear welling up. In the ring he gets, and he embraces both Benoit and Anderson. "You know, it brings us to a great addition. You see, I thought about what the Horsemen meant to me. And there was always someone that you could rely onto get the job done. To finish the deal. To seal the deal. So tonight, without further adieu, joining the Four Horsemen.... BILL GOLDBERG!" [I]GOLDBERG! GOLDBERG! GOLDBERG! GOLDBERG![/I] Goldberg is chewing gum as he walks down to the ring, gets in the ring and holds aloft the four fingers. "You remind me of myself son, you're tough, you won't take no prisoners, and you won't let anyone walk over you. You don't care how big their names are, you just want to get the job done. And the job that is in front of us gentlemen, is to rid professional wrestling of the cancer that is the New World Order. And hell, why not let's have a bit of fun along the way! I look at you all and I see what exlempifies being a Horsemen, excellence and work ethic. I couldn't be prouder of this group of Horsemen. Dean Malenko, you exlempify over-achievement. The great mysterious lord didn't grace you with a 300 pound body, but much like myself, you know what you have to do. Because the good lord blessed you with a heart of gold, son. The moment I laid eyes on Malenko, despite any misconceptions there may have been in the past I knew you were a Horsemen. And you knew it too. People all across this nation have been crying out for an end to the anarchy. They've been crying out for honour. And when they've cried out for that, they've asked me to bring back the Horsemen. Well I listened, and I have. But I feel it's fair to tell you, I'm not going to be responsible for what happens next. Because we don't wear white hats. And the Horsemen will bring this sport to an apocalypse and back again to rid this sport of Bischoff and the nWo. Horsemen as per the biblical sense are not nice guys. And I can tell you this Bischoff - heads are going to roll! Be careful what you wish for, because now you have it! Oh, oh my... What a goof! I get accused of getting racked in the head a few times, and have a little touch of Alzheimers. My God, I almost forgot the Fourth Horsemen, RIC FLAIR GET ON DOWN HERE!" [I]Also Sprach Zarathrusta[/I] hits, and here comes the great man. Crying, profiling, he walks down the aisle, and stops at the bottom of the ramp in his black suit, before turning as the pyrotechnics explode behind him. He keeps walking down and holds his four fingers aloft. He gets in the ring and embraces heartily with Arn Anderson. I think it's fair to say Ric Flair has accepted membership. Arn Anderson: Charlotte, I give you the champ! Ric Flair: My, God. Oh my god. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you very much. I'm almost embarrassed by the response, but when I see this ... but when I know I spent 25 years trying to make you happy every night of your life, it was worth every damn minute of it! Now, someone told me the Horsemen were having a party tonight, in Charlotte! WOOOOOO!!! Could that be true, that the most elite group, that Eric Bischoff said was dead, is alive and well?!? Bischoff, this might be my only shot. But, I got to tell you, I'm going to make it my best. Is this what you call a great moment of TV? That's wrong, because, this is real! This is not bought and paid for! It's a real life situation! Just like the night in Columbia, South Carolina, when you looked at me, tears in my eyes, and said, "God, that's good TV." That was real! Arn Anderson passed the torch! It was real, dammit! You think Sting would of beeing crying in the dressing room, like I was on TV, if it wasn't real? This guy, my best friend, is one of the greatest performers to ever live. And you you squashed him one night. Then you get on the phone and tell me, "Disband the Horsemen. They're dead." "Disband the Four Horsemen." Me, you know what? I look I myself in the mirror the next day, and I saw a pathetic figure that gave up and quit. And for that, I owe you, the wrestling fans ... I owe these guys ... an apology. Because, it won't happen again, where we let Bischoff disband what you think ......." Eric Bischoff started strolling forward from the back... "Cut him off..." "Cut me off? WOOOOOO!!! Cut me off? You, I hate your guts. You're a pompous over bearing son of a ..... WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Fire me, go on, fir me! I'm already fired! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! You, you! You! You you gutless coward, pal, you can never destroy the Horsemen. WOOOOOOOOO!!! We will destroy you and your New World Order, PAL!" "Get him out of here..." The Charlotte police department reluctantly begin moving towards the ring. "Bischoff! Bischoff! You're an abuse of power, pal. An abuse of power! You think you can destroy me? You think you can destroy the Four Horsemen? You think the Horsemen is dead? I think it's alive and well pal. You Eric Bischoff, I hate your guts! You are a liar, you are a cheat, you are a scam... you are a no good son of a ..... It's like I always said... " the police begin grabbing Flair... "Oh I'm going pal, I'm going, but let me say this because this is REAL! Diamonds are forever damn it, and so is the Four Horsemen! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" "Get him out of here!" [CENTER][SIZE="4"][B]WCW World Heavyweight Championship Sting v 'Lionheart' Chris Jericho[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER] For the first few minutes, the pace of this match was extraordinarly slow. I think they realised that the crowd needed to recover to anticipate what had just happened, and what would happen next. It's a fairly hard to follow to be fair. Finally, the two men sunk teeth into each as they hooked up, for the greatest moment in our sport according to Tony Schiavone, when the greatest title in the world goes on the line, right here, right now in Charlotte, North Carolina. In one corner, the young buck. The young tyro. The man whose rise to the top has been barely believable. But it's happened. Perhaps the best wrestler in the world today. Perhaps the most brash man in this overbearing game of ours. Perhaps the brightest star on the horizon for many a year. A young Flair, in many respects. In the other corner, the man who initially depossessed Ric Flair as the new hero of WCW. The man who withstood the nWo. The man who stopped Hogan's politics. The man who became the face of hope in professional wrestling. This...is....Sting. The vultures of Sting were preying, they were biding. But which corpse of dismay would they feast upon tonight. Where would the power lie, the power ultimately lies with the big gold belt, the prize, the greatest prize in our sport. So the start while slow, was necessary. Neither man wanted to slip up. So much to lose. And very rarely is a title match decided in the first few minutes. It's a battle of endurance. Both men slowed it down, and worked tirelessly to try and pry an opening. But you're in the main event, it doesn't happen like that. You have to wait, you have to be cautious. You have to validate your intentions by executing a thorough strategy. And then you need a whole lot of luck. So when both men punched each other feverishly for a good four or five minutes, before starting to get down to some technical mat wrestling, it was a joy to watch. Pure psychological wrestling. Jericho wiping away the face paint of Sting, almost taking away his identity. Sting though strengthened by the resolve of the fans kept fighting back. After an amazing fight of intestional fortitude, both men were hooked on the top rope. Where all the risks in the world lay. Was this a rookie mistake by Jericho taking the veteran Sting to the top. Both men punched and jabbed. Who would gain ascendency. Sting was gaining control, Jericho was tiring. Sting grabbed hold of Jericho, it looks like he's going for a belly to belly off the top.... Belly to be... NO! NO! NO! Jericho held on, Sting almost got planted on his head. WAIT A SECOND! WAIT A SECOND! Jericho has in a fortunate way got Sting in position... LIONTAMER! Sting is screaming for mercy. Jericho is ohlding on. Sting is trying to get to the ropes. But Jericho has the power, he has the balance. He begins leaning back. Sting can see the title, and it pains him to look at it. He knows it's slipping away. Jericho leans back so much that I fear Sting's back is going to be broken.... the only thing that can take away the title is Sting have to retire from the sport he loves, and with that thought, he knew the only option was..... well. [CENTER][B]Your Winner:[/B] Via submission, and NEW WCW World Heavyweight Champion, Chris Jericho[/CENTER] After the match, the Championship was given into the arms of Jericho. He began sobbing uncontrollably. Such a brash, arrogant, overbearing son of a gun was in a state of shock, as the priviledge of the WCW gold began to sink into his heart. Jericho looked up above, as he held the title high. "Whether you like it or not," Tenay comments, "and lord knows I don't... " "Say it Mike," Heenan adds. "You need to say it." "Chris Jericho is a great competitor, he has beaten some of the greats of this sport, and tonight, he has become a legend by defeating a legend." "It makes me sick seeing the title back in the nWo hands," Schiavone comments. "Fans, we're out of time...." [QUOTE][RIGHT][B]Footnote[/B][/RIGHT] I just wanted to address the decision to put the belt on Chris Jericho. Firstly, I want to preface this by noting that the shows have been booked up a long way in advance to what you are seeing. And with a strategy. Death of WCW was actually very much fly by the seat of my pants booking. Prequel set out with some very clear ideologies of where I wanted it to be by Starrcade 1998. So the booking is very much long winded, strange at times, but hopefully the crystal ball becomes all the while clearer by then. On Jericho, what is oft forgotten with Chris is he was in WCW in 1996. And before that he had a period in ECW. By this stage Chris has already been in quite a lot of WCW Pay-Per-Views, and excelled if not stolen the show. In reality, by the middle of 1998 he had also done some freakishly funny stuff. The 1004 holds, the petition to stop a match with Dean Malenko, mini-Goldberg... plus he'd wrestled some astounding matches. One spot in particular I remembered, that I've replicated here was a spot with Rey Mysterio Jr on the top rope, Rey's looking to snap him over in a frankeinsteiner, but Jericho holds onto Rey's legs and Rey goes head first into the mat and straight into a Lion Tamer. In reality, WCW chose to go another way with who they 'pushed' into Championships. As we all know, they went for the proven money men in Hogan, Nash, Savage, Luger et al. On the other hand, the WWF made new stars. Likewise to Jericho, they utilised Steve Austin and made him something that the traditional base of WCW wasn't prepared to take a punt on. Likewise with Rocky Maivia. And as history showed us, that was the beginning of the end. Heck, they took a bloke who'd been with WCW for a few years, busted his backside for them yet was seen as a glorified stunt man, and in 1999 they put the WWF Title on him to the humble words "Yeah, like that will put you know whats on seats". And what should happen? Almost instantaneously as WCW that night booked the horrible fingerpoke of doom concept, viewers by the droves gave up on WCW, knew it would never change, knew it would never develop itself, knew it would never provide a story to match 1999, knew it was still stuck in 1993 with it's booking mentality. Not long after that Jericho goes to the WWF and is catapulted into a feud with the Rock. And we know what happens thereafter. Likewise, Paul Wight goes over and gets catapulted up the card (although his success hasn't been as stellar as it could be). Now I know booking Jericho to win was not what many of us would do in sane times, and I normally wouldn't respond to doubts on the decision, but this is for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship - the greatest prize in our sport. It's not a moniker brother, it's for real. WCW was the real deal when it was strong, and I would never, ever for a second devalue that coveted title by laying it on someone I don't think deserved it or could be a great champion. I truly believe. In my mind, and in my strategy, this was the time WCW should have looked to have done one of two things - put the belt on Bret Hart, or get a youngster up the card. I have chosen to do the latter. I like the push I have given him, and I hoped that moving him into the nWo would give him legitimacy. But much more than that, I know it creates the evolution of the storylines I need to play out to end 1998 for WCW with a chance. Something history would tell us it did not. So anyway, why Spring Stampede? Why not one of the flagship Pay-Per-Views? Because IMO, often the best stuff happened at Spring Stampede. Raven and Page and Benoit and the like always seemed to pull out something amazing at Spring Stampede. So tonight was in honour of some of my favourite, unsung PPV moments. God bless Spring Stampede, here's to a new face in WCW starting tonight. PS: The Arn Anderson speech, modified a tiny bit. But a lot of it is the words of the master himself that Nitro night on September 14th 1998. One of the greatest moments in professional wrestling history, my favourite ever moment. Long live the legend of the Horsemen.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=angeldelayette;535531]WCW Cruiserweight Championship: [B]Rey Mysterio Jr (c)[/B] v Eddie Guerrero WCW Television Championship: 'Lord' Steven Regal (c) v [B]Ultimo Dragon[/B] nWo Tag Team Championships - No Disqualifications: 'K-Dawg' Konnan and Curt Hennig (c) v [B]The Steiner Brothers[/B] v Harlem Heat [B]The Outsiders[/B] v Bret 'The Hitman' Hart and 'The British Bulldog' Davey Boy Smith 'Hollywood' Hulk Hogan v [B]The Giant[/B] Buff 'The Stuff' Bagwell v [B]Goldberg[/B] 'Total Package' Lex Luger v [B]Raven[/B] nWo United States Championship: [B]'The Master of the Diamond Cutter' Diamond Dallas Page (c)[/B] v 'The Rabid Wolverine' Chris Benoit WCW World Heavyweight Championship: Sting (c) v [B]'Lionheart' Chris Jericho[/B] [I]Last match here a big upset![/I][/QUOTE] Thanks for the tips, my good friend. I have a load of respect for you so I really appreciate you taking the time to give us some tips.

[CENTER][IMG]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/tristramwcw/nitro.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] [B]Quick Picks[/B] Rey Mysterio Jr and Chavo Guerrero Jr v WCW Cruiserweight Champion Eddie Guerrero and Kidman The Steiners v The Outsiders WCW Television Championship: 'The Man of 1000 Holds' Dean Malenko (c) v Johnny Grunge Bret 'The Hitman' Hart v Buff 'The Stuff' Bagwell nWo Japan (Masahiro Chono and the Great Muta) v Harlem Heat v Pipeline Feva ('Wipeout' Evan Karagias and 'Cutback' Lash Le Roux) v Latin Passion (Juventud Guerrera and Hector Garza) Perry Saturn v 'Nature Boy' Ric Flair Kurt Angle v 'The Laughing Man' Hugh Morrus WCW United States Championship: 'The Rabid Wolverine' Chris Benoit (c) v 'The Master of the Diamond Cutter' Diamond Dallas Page Goldberg v Scott 'Flash' Norton nWo World Heavyweight Championship: 'Lionheart' Chris Jericho (c) v Sting

[QUOTE=tristram;535632]PS: The Arn Anderson speech, modified a tiny bit. But a lot of it is the words of the master himself that Nitro night on September 14th 1998. One of the greatest moments in professional wrestling history, my favourite ever moment. Long live the legend of the Horsemen.[/QUOTE] Amen. Some times you have to quote things that have gone before in historical diaries because they were just so damn good. And this is one of those moments. Loved it. I'm still not sure on Jericho. I completely get what you're saying, but I still don't think he seems ready, at least to me. Benoit with the US Title- yes very much agree with that. But I'm just not sure Jericho was the man at this point. I agree he was gold in WCW (1004 holds is one of my favourite moments ever, "number four... armbar") but I guess this sort of relates to my opinions on the underdog heel winning the title. I always find it a bit odd somehow. I think I would have probably bought it more if he was a face, but it is the nWo that has given him legitimacy. However, all this said, you now have the opportunity to sell me on it by how he is handled over the next few weeks, months whatever. On Goldberg, it's interesting. It's a complete swerve on what you'd expect, especially as Goldberg always had that element of Stone Cold-esque lone crusador style thing, but you have a history of taking htings I don't partiularly agree with and completely selling them to me to the point that I can't remember why I didn't like it, so I'm in. Apart from those minor issues, I loved it. Benoit winning the gold was obviously a great moment, as was Deano. This of course had the moments that made me laugh, it had surprises, it shook some stuff up. All in all, the whole PPV worked very well. I really liked it. Well done. [B]Quick Picks[/B] Rey Mysterio Jr and Chavo Guerrero Jr v [B]WCW Cruiserweight Champion Eddie Guerrero and Kidman[/B] [I]To add to Rey's misery and give Kidman a bit of a push[/I] The Steiners v [B]The Outsiders[/B] [I]Through interference[/I] WCW Television Championship: [B]'The Man of 1000 Holds' Dean Malenko (c)[/B] v Johnny Grunge [I]I mean, after everything at Stampede, would he really drop the title the next night to Johnny Grunge?![/I] [B]Bret 'The Hitman' Hart[/B] v Buff 'The Stuff' Bagwell [I]Bret needs to be pushed something serious. He'd be a great challenger to Jericho[/I] nWo Japan (Masahiro Chono and the Great Muta) v [B]Harlem Heat[/B] v Pipeline Feva ('Wipeout' Evan Karagias and 'Cutback' Lash Le Roux) v Latin Passion (Juventud Guerrera and Hector Garza) [I]The most useful team to you right now out of these[/I] Perry Saturn v [B]'Nature Boy' Ric Flair[/B] [I]Flair's not gonna get jobbed after the reformation, is he?[/I] [B]Kurt Angle[/B] v 'The Laughing Man' Hugh Morrus [I]Nice to see a new superstar being signed up. Angle needs the win to legitimise himself. And over the guy Goldberg first beat too...[/I] WCW United States Championship: '[B]The Rabid Wolverine' Chris Benoit (c)[/B] v 'The Master of the Diamond Cutter' Diamond Dallas Page [I]After such a greta moment he;s not losing it already[/I] Goldberg v [B]Scott 'Flash' Norton[/B] [I]He has the streak, joins the Horsemen, and loses on his first match afterwards[/I] nWo World Heavyweight Championship: [B]'Lionheart' Chris Jericho (c)[/B] v Sting [I]After everything you've said, it makes no sense to give Sting the title back tonight[/I]

"I went to the gym... I didn't do anything, but I got to the gym..." Greatest moment in professional wrestling. Oh, wait. I have to say, as much as I like this diary, there were a number of things I didn't like about this show. One of my favorite things was how much it reminded me of WCW of the period, but as soon as Raven starts going over Luger or Jericho beats Sting (in his first ppv shot at the title), I start thinking "that's not WCW!" Kurt Angle in a mask is weird to think about, and he's coming in feuding with Raven? We'll see I guess. I'm not saying it's a mistake or a terrible blunder to put the belt on Jericho, but you need to make Sting look stronger after losing a match like that to a guy that really isn't particularly main event tested. Also, it didn't help that bits of the main event recap reminded me of a Warrior promo: [quote]The vultures of Sting were preying, they were biding. But which corpse of dismay would they feast upon tonight. Where would the power lie, the power ultimately lies with the big gold belt, the prize, the greatest prize in our sport.[/quote] I have very little idea what this paragraph means, if anything.

[QUOTE=lazorbeak;535709]Kurt Angle in a mask is weird to think about, and he's coming in feuding with Raven?.[/QUOTE] I'd have thought this would have something to do with Kurt Angle's disgust at Raven's crucifixtion angle on ECW that Kurt went to, but I guess we'll see. Was nice to see Angle there, although I don't think he became a real top notch competitor until 2001 sort of time, so it will be interesting to see how he comes along in such a big roster. EDIT: Just want to add that, despite all that after all I've said about Jericho, I've got no doubt that you'll prove it to be the right decision. I'm sure he will make a great champion and it will make me look a tad silly, like you always tend to do when I question your moves.

don't listen to him Trist.... that was a great show. Chris was starting to get a niche at that point in time. I believe it was the right decision to put the belt on Jericho. you have a rising star who can cut a great promo if pushed correctly and who never had an opportunity to show that in the real WCW

Before I put this in here, I have to say that I LOVE the Horsemen moment. I have been a Four Horsemen fan for a very long time and I remember watching that moment on tv and jumping up and down like a little kid on Christmas morning. Arn Anderson=very underrated promos. Quick Picks Rey Mysterio Jr and Chavo Guerrero Jr v [B]WCW Cruiserweight Champion Eddie Guerrero and Kidman[/B] [I]Chavo turn to join Uncle Eddie?[/I] [B]The Steiners[/B] v The Outsiders [I]Build toward a Steiners/KonnanandHenning match at the next PPV?[/I] WCW Television Championship: [B]'The Man of 1000 Holds' Dean Malenko (c)[/B] v Johnny Grunge [I]Four Horsemen fourever![/I] [B]Bret 'The Hitman' Hart[/B] v Buff 'The Stuff' Bagwell [I]I was never a huge fan of the Hitman but it makes sense for him to go over here.[/I] [B]nWo Japan (Masahiro Chono and the Great Muta)[/B] v Harlem Heat v Pipeline Feva ('Wipeout' Evan Karagias and 'Cutback' Lash Le Roux) v Latin Passion (Juventud Guerrera and Hector Garza) [I]I was torn between nWo Japan and Harlem Heat here.[/I] Perry Saturn v [B]'Nature Boy' Ric Flair[/B] [I]Illegal for me to pick against the Nature Boy![/I] [B]Kurt Angle[/B] v 'The Laughing Man' Hugh Morrus [I]Your Olympic Hero picks up his first WCW win! Oh it's true, it's true![/I] WCW United States Championship: [B]'The Rabid Wolverine' Chris Benoit (c)[/B] v 'The Master of the Diamond Cutter' Diamond Dallas Page [I]Benoit with the successful defense against the former Champion.[/I] [B]Goldberg[/B] v Scott 'Flash' Norton [I]GOLDBERG!, GOLDBERG!, GOLDBERG! The Rock's Attorney Ira Goldberg for the win![/I] nWo World Heavyweight Championship: [B]'Lionheart' Chris Jericho (c)[/B] v Sting [I]I can see Sting winning this match by DQ or countout thus keeping the title on Jericho but at the same time it would help to further legitamize Jericho's title win for him to prove it wasn't a fluke.[/I]

[QUOTE=G-Prime;535643]Great show mate, not sure if I like Goldberg in the Horsemen though, but we'll see how it plays out...[/QUOTE] The reason for Goldberg in the Horsemen is in relation to a direct quote from Arn Anderson in about 1999, I think it was on a WCW internet chat or something were they talked about the Horsemen of '98. He said if he could make one change it would have been Goldberg in place of McMichael. He said he saw Goldberg as everything that he wanted in a Horsemen. So... that was where that came from. [QUOTE=keefmoon;535667]Amen. Some times you have to quote things that have gone before in historical diaries because they were just so damn good. And this is one of those moments. Loved it. I'm still not sure on Jericho. I completely get what you're saying, but I still don't think he seems ready, at least to me. Benoit with the US Title- yes very much agree with that. But I'm just not sure Jericho was the man at this point. I agree he was gold in WCW (1004 holds is one of my favourite moments ever, "number four... armbar") but I guess this sort of relates to my opinions on the underdog heel winning the title. I always find it a bit odd somehow. I think I would have probably bought it more if he was a face, but it is the nWo that has given him legitimacy. However, all this said, you now have the opportunity to sell me on it by how he is handled over the next few weeks, months whatever. On Goldberg, it's interesting. It's a complete swerve on what you'd expect, especially as Goldberg always had that element of Stone Cold-esque lone crusador style thing, but you have a history of taking htings I don't partiularly agree with and completely selling them to me to the point that I can't remember why I didn't like it, so I'm in. Apart from those minor issues, I loved it. Benoit winning the gold was obviously a great moment, as was Deano. This of course had the moments that made me laugh, it had surprises, it shook some stuff up. All in all, the whole PPV worked very well. I really liked it. Well done. [B]Quick Picks[/B] Rey Mysterio Jr and Chavo Guerrero Jr v [B]WCW Cruiserweight Champion Eddie Guerrero and Kidman[/B] [I]To add to Rey's misery and give Kidman a bit of a push[/I] The Steiners v [B]The Outsiders[/B] [I]Through interference[/I] WCW Television Championship: [B]'The Man of 1000 Holds' Dean Malenko (c)[/B] v Johnny Grunge [I]I mean, after everything at Stampede, would he really drop the title the next night to Johnny Grunge?![/I] [B]Bret 'The Hitman' Hart[/B] v Buff 'The Stuff' Bagwell [I]Bret needs to be pushed something serious. He'd be a great challenger to Jericho[/I] nWo Japan (Masahiro Chono and the Great Muta) v [B]Harlem Heat[/B] v Pipeline Feva ('Wipeout' Evan Karagias and 'Cutback' Lash Le Roux) v Latin Passion (Juventud Guerrera and Hector Garza) [I]The most useful team to you right now out of these[/I] Perry Saturn v [B]'Nature Boy' Ric Flair[/B] [I]Flair's not gonna get jobbed after the reformation, is he?[/I] [B]Kurt Angle[/B] v 'The Laughing Man' Hugh Morrus [I]Nice to see a new superstar being signed up. Angle needs the win to legitimise himself. And over the guy Goldberg first beat too...[/I] WCW United States Championship: '[B]The Rabid Wolverine' Chris Benoit (c)[/B] v 'The Master of the Diamond Cutter' Diamond Dallas Page [I]After such a greta moment he;s not losing it already[/I] Goldberg v [B]Scott 'Flash' Norton[/B] [I]He has the streak, joins the Horsemen, and loses on his first match afterwards[/I] nWo World Heavyweight Championship: [B]'Lionheart' Chris Jericho (c)[/B] v Sting [I]After everything you've said, it makes no sense to give Sting the title back tonight[/I][/QUOTE] Thanks mate, understand your comments completely. As you've probably picked up when we've chatted, those were the two things I was overly unsure of. But with the benefit of hindsight and how the shows from this are booked, I'm happy with it. [QUOTE=G-Prime;535698]Oh, forgot to mention: Marking out hard for KURT FREAKIN' ANGLE!!![/QUOTE] Thank you. [QUOTE=lazorbeak;535709]"I went to the gym... I didn't do anything, but I got to the gym..." Greatest moment in professional wrestling. Oh, wait. I have to say, as much as I like this diary, there were a number of things I didn't like about this show. One of my favorite things was how much it reminded me of WCW of the period, but as soon as Raven starts going over Luger or Jericho beats Sting (in his first ppv shot at the title), I start thinking "that's not WCW!" Kurt Angle in a mask is weird to think about, and he's coming in feuding with Raven? We'll see I guess. I'm not saying it's a mistake or a terrible blunder to put the belt on Jericho, but you need to make Sting look stronger after losing a match like that to a guy that really isn't particularly main event tested. Also, it didn't help that bits of the main event recap reminded me of a Warrior promo: I have very little idea what this paragraph means, if anything.[/QUOTE] You can only do so much of a certain period. I mean, in Death of WCW itself if I had have followed trend then Chris Kanyon would never have been Champion, the belt would have been traded on an almost weekly basis between Jarrett, Steiner and Booker, and the undercard would have had two minute matches. I think you have to add a certain amount of your own twists to a story, otherwise we might as well all read ddtdigest. Which while filfulling, we all know what basically happens next. There were a number of reasons WCW failed. My aim was always to try and change those woes. I wouldn't waste people's time by booking completely in the same vain as WCW in 1998 because it was a failure, and people deserve better. The vulture reference has absolutely nothing to do with the Ultimate Warrior. In 1997, when Sting began beating down on the nWo (my second favourite moment after the Horsemen reformation), there was a piece of video imagery with his theme music, and a child speaking, "This...is...Sting", he also had up in the rafters with him two vultures who swooped down to threaten Hogan. So that's the vulture reference. I thought the vulture reference in 1997 was absolutely classic, the vulture obviously sits above the prey, circling. PS: I think you misread the Angle segment also, he came in in a mask. But you may have noticed, it was also removed and he was revealed. Don't think he's going to run around in a Psicosis mask ok. [QUOTE=keefmoon;535737]I'd have thought this would have something to do with Kurt Angle's disgust at Raven's crucifixtion angle on ECW that Kurt went to, but I guess we'll see. Was nice to see Angle there, although I don't think he became a real top notch competitor until 2001 sort of time, so it will be interesting to see how he comes along in such a big roster. EDIT: Just want to add that, despite all that after all I've said about Jericho, I've got no doubt that you'll prove it to be the right decision. I'm sure he will make a great champion and it will make me look a tad silly, like you always tend to do when I question your moves.[/QUOTE] I agree, Angle took time. Rest assured, he's not going to the top just yet. It's not really in reference to the crucifixition to be honest though. [QUOTE=angeldelayette;535756]Before I put this in here, I have to say that I LOVE the Horsemen moment. I have been a Four Horsemen fan for a very long time and I remember watching that moment on tv and jumping up and down like a little kid on Christmas morning. Arn Anderson=very underrated promos. Quick Picks Rey Mysterio Jr and Chavo Guerrero Jr v [B]WCW Cruiserweight Champion Eddie Guerrero and Kidman[/B] [I]Chavo turn to join Uncle Eddie?[/I] [B]The Steiners[/B] v The Outsiders [I]Build toward a Steiners/KonnanandHenning match at the next PPV?[/I] WCW Television Championship: [B]'The Man of 1000 Holds' Dean Malenko (c)[/B] v Johnny Grunge [I]Four Horsemen fourever![/I] [B]Bret 'The Hitman' Hart[/B] v Buff 'The Stuff' Bagwell [I]I was never a huge fan of the Hitman but it makes sense for him to go over here.[/I] [B]nWo Japan (Masahiro Chono and the Great Muta)[/B] v Harlem Heat v Pipeline Feva ('Wipeout' Evan Karagias and 'Cutback' Lash Le Roux) v Latin Passion (Juventud Guerrera and Hector Garza) [I]I was torn between nWo Japan and Harlem Heat here.[/I] Perry Saturn v [B]'Nature Boy' Ric Flair[/B] [I]Illegal for me to pick against the Nature Boy![/I] [B]Kurt Angle[/B] v 'The Laughing Man' Hugh Morrus [I]Your Olympic Hero picks up his first WCW win! Oh it's true, it's true![/I] WCW United States Championship: [B]'The Rabid Wolverine' Chris Benoit (c)[/B] v 'The Master of the Diamond Cutter' Diamond Dallas Page [I]Benoit with the successful defense against the former Champion.[/I] [B]Goldberg[/B] v Scott 'Flash' Norton [I]GOLDBERG!, GOLDBERG!, GOLDBERG! The Rock's Attorney Ira Goldberg for the win![/I] nWo World Heavyweight Championship: [B]'Lionheart' Chris Jericho (c)[/B] v Sting [I]I can see Sting winning this match by DQ or countout thus keeping the title on Jericho but at the same time it would help to further legitamize Jericho's title win for him to prove it wasn't a fluke.[/I][/QUOTE] Arn had the best promos in my book. Others had better catchphrases et al, and probably carried more charisma, and had better looks. But what Arn Anderson was about was delivering on what he preached. [QUOTE=darthsiddus2]don't listen to him Trist.... that was a great show. Chris was starting to get a niche at that point in time. I believe it was the right decision to put the belt on Jericho. you have a rising star who can cut a great promo if pushed correctly and who never had an opportunity to show that in the real WCW[/QUOTE] Thanks mate, that means a lot. I am glad someone saw what I was seeing. For the record, I have always been keen on Jericho. I first obviously got to see him in '96, and from there I thought it was a steady progression for him where he just kept pulling off stunning matches after stunning matches, followed by outstandingly classic promos. WCW believed he had peaked, as they did with many others, and that was ultimately a fatal mistake. So I could continue on and put the belt on Hogan, and feud him with Luger, and Sting, or DDP, I could continue on the same mistakes and have Bret in meaningless feuds over nothing and have him turn semi-heel to protect Hogan from him, or I could largely keep with how things were and put my touches on it. And that's what I think any diary basically tries to do. For example, nevermore is high on Raven, and he has brought in people into ECW that didn't actually come into ECW then or the way he puts it across - but hell, that doesn't stop it being a mighty read. keef has been riding high on Owen Hart, the WWF at his time of death had him as a midcard jobber to the stars under a blue blazer mask, drinking milk. There was no 'data editting', I did also follow TEW where Jericho's stats kept improving overnight basically, including his popularity. Finally, this all leads up to Starrcade. Starrcade 1998 will mean something. Short term pain for some, but I seriously think it will all be worth it. ............ Thanks all for the comments, positive or negative, it's all constructive in my eyes.

[CENTER][img]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/tristramwcw/nitro.jpg[/img][/CENTER] [QUOTE][U]Video Recap:[/U] [I]A mortal enemy... An honourable resolution... The fight for supremacy begins...[/I] "Can you smell it, Chris Benoit? Take a breath, can you smell it! There's a smell of ... honour in the air.... [CENTER][SIZE="5"][B]Honour[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER] "It can happen again. It can rise again. They say you're a man of few words Chris, you're a man of action. Well it got me to thinking, it's time to get acting...." [CENTER][SIZE="5"][B]Honour[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER] People all across this nation have been crying out for an end to the anarchy. They've been crying out for honour. And when they've cried out for that, they've asked me to bring back the Horsemen. Well I listened, and I have. But I feel it's fair to tell you, I'm not going to be responsible for what happens next. Because we don't wear white hats. And the Horsemen will bring this sport to an apocalypse and back again to rid this sport of Bischoff and the nWo. Horsemen as per the biblical sense are not nice guys. And I can tell you this Bischoff - heads are going to roll! Be careful what you wish for, because now you have it!"[/QUOTE] We pan around a packed Miami crowd, many of the fans are split between nWo colours and many are holding aloft their four fingers, defiant in the face of the adversity that the nWo has brought to the honour and traditions of professional wrestling. [CENTER][I]n....W....o NN...NN...NEW WORLD ORDER FF...FF...FOR LIFE n...W...o TOOO SWEEEEEEEEET![/I][/CENTER] 'Easy-E' Eric Bischoff leads out the major part of the New World Order, complete with 'Big Sexy' Kevin Nash, Scott Hall of the Outsiders, 'Hollywood' Hulk Hogan, 'The Master of the Diamond Cutter' Diamond Dallas Page and of course, the newly crowned WCW World Heavyweight Champion, 'Lionheart' Chris Jericho. A red carpet rolls all the way to the ring, and inside the ring is a table with bottles of champagne in icers, plus a butler awaiting to pop the cork. 'Easy-E' takes the microphone from David Penzer. "Oh god, we love you! We really, really love you. It's great being back here in nWo country let me tell you. And what a great night it was for the New World Order. No matter what anyone else wants to tell you, the nWo is STILL where the power is. And speaking of power, we are out here to celebrate. You see, last night the ultimate good guy, Chris Jericho became the World Heavyweight Champion. So without further adieu, let's get down to business, I want you to all get on your feet, and bow down....to the World....Heavyweight....Champion!" Jericho walks forward, and holds the belt up. "Welcome to... MONDAY NIGHT JERICHO! YOUR paragon of good virtue stands before you having delivered on what I promised. That all you Jerichoholics out there would find the ultimate cure. With the backing of my nWo brothers, I have become the new WCW World Heavywe.." "Wait a second, brother," Hogan interrupts. "What's the matter?" Jericho asks. "Dude, you said... WCW World Heavyweight Championship," Hogan grins from ear to ear as he produces a black spray paint. "Brother, you know that's not right. Now, brother, let's get down to business and iconise this belt, dude..." Hogan goes to take the Championship from Jericho, but Jericho pulls it away. "No! No! No! Now wait just a second, Hogan. ''''Brother''''. I understand what you want to do, I do, I understand. But, man, look at it? Look at this. It's the World Heavyweight Championship. It holds too much prestige to be spraypainted. Too much honour..." "HONOUR! Honour brother! Dude you better watch what comes out of your mouth, Jericho. I've heard what Arn Anderson has had to say, and I'm beginning to get concerned brother that you may be an infiltrator inside the greatest guerrila army of all time, dude. You know brother, I am the icon of professional wrestling. I built this house dude. I am a legend, so what I say goes..." "But... that is true. That is true. But you know what Hulk? You are a legend... but I'm the .... World....Heavyweight... Champion." "Well, let's just see about that brother, how about tonight, you and m..." [CENTER][I]When a man's heart is full of deceit it burns up, dies, and a dark shadow falls over his soul. From the ashes of a once great man has risen a curse. A wrong that must be righted. We look to the skies for a vindicator, someone to strike fear into the black hearts of the same men who created him. The battle between good and evil has begun. Against an army of shadows comes a Dark Warrior. The purveyor of good, with a voice of silence, and a mission of justice. This is Sting[/I][/CENTER] As Hogan crumbles to his knees, Sting descends from the rafters with his black baseball bat. Jericho rolls out of the ring, as Sting sends Nash, Page and Hall over the top rope, before delivering a Stinger Splash on Bischoff. Hogan is already walking to the back, petrified, as Sting points the bat at Jericho. Jericho comes forth and walks into the ring and stands up to the bat of Sting, gulping. "What? What do you want? I won the battle last night Sting, I'm the World Heavyweight Champion. I'm the King of the World." Sting's eyes are locked on the Championship. "Oh... Oh I see. You want a piece of this do you? Well guess what pal, you lost, I won. The battle is over..." Just then, 'The Enforcer' Arn Anderson appears on the Turner-Tron. "Chris Jericho," Anderson begins, "Indeed you may have won the battle. But..." Anderson holds up the contract to the fight. "This contract hereby validates Sting's right to a rematch. And if I'm not mistaken, I think he is exercising his right. So tonight, champ, you will put the belt on the line. Against... Sting! I told ya you wouldn't always like what was going to happen next!" Sting drops the bat to the ground, and the two square up, refusing to budge, and refusing to drop their guard against one another. [CENTER][SIZE="4"][B]Rey Mysterio Jr and Chavo Guerrero Jr v WCW Cruiserweight Champion Eddie Guerrero and Kidman[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER] An odd pairing here, Kidman has been so far gone in the mind under the guise of Raven but I guess it shouldn't be forgotten that Eddie Guerrero is no saint and will break rules like few others to win a Championship. Rey gets in his face and slaps him immediately, clearly upset at how Eddie took the Championship at Spring Stampede. Eddie shoves Rey back forcing him to the mat, and then pushing his mask into the mat. When Rey tags in Chavo, there is no let up. Chavo is also frustrated and begins berating Eddie for the way he took the Championship. Chavo believes the honour of the name Guerrero has been tainted forever by Eddie's actions. Kidman came into the ring and lit the ring up with a magic display of aerial ping pong, but after a couple of minutes of sizzling action it slowed down again as Chavo took some control. After working over Kidman he tagged in his ally Rey who responded by upping the tempo and making Kidman cover the ring like a gazelle to try and defy the former Cruiserweight Champion. But just as Kidman started coming back, Chavo tried to get into the ring and was stopped by a distracted Billy Silverman, Eddie went to the time keeper and took back his Championship, stepped up onto the apron and delivered a furious blow to the head of Rey. He then tagged in, and as Chavo worked his way around Silverman and charged at Eddie who stepped him, allowing Kidman to pull down the top rope to send Kidman over the top rope. Eddie put his right foot on Rey....1.....2.....3. [CENTER][SIZE="4"][B]Your Winners:[/B] Via pinfall, Eddie Guerrero and Kidman[/SIZE][/CENTER] Backstage, Eric Bischoff is icing his forehead, and complaining of a migraine. Diamond Dallas Page strides up to him, and pulls the ice away from his head. "Hey Yo. You know Bischoff, if Sting gets a rematch tonight for that Championship, I want a rematch for MY Championship. If Arn Anderson can pull the strings, I bet you can..." Page puts the bag of ice back on Bischoff's forehead as he laughs and walks away. Bischoff seems to be in too much pain to care. Page exits the nWo dressing room and finds 'The Enforcer' Arn Anderson in the hallway. Anderson is smiling like a cheshire cat. "What the hell are you so happy about?" A blunt Page asks. "Well... You've come back for seconds. You know something Page, when they put a rat in a maze and give him cheese that's got an electric current running through it, the rat is smart enough to not go for it a second time. I really thought humans had evolved, I guess not in your case. Going back for a second shot at Chris Benoit is stretching liberties, Page. So you don't need to ask Bischoff, I'm more than happy to accommodate your request. Because the Horsemen are about honour, and pal, Chris Benoit is honourably going to show you what it is all about to be a Four Horsemen. Something you were never good enough for, pal. Your patch means ... second best!" [CENTER][SIZE="4"][B]The Steiner Brothers v The Outsiders[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER] THe Steiner Brothers were frustrated last night, after together with Harlem Heat putting up a valiant fight only to be sucker punched by 'Ravishing' Rick Rude on behalf of Konnan and Curt Hennig. So they came out firing against the Outsiders, but it was as if the Outsiders were luring the Steiners in. Eventually Rick got over zealous, and he ran in an open palm of Kevin Nash. Scott Steiner ran in and put a forearm on the back of Nash to stop a chokeslam, but the big man just turned around and hoisted his big boot up. This gave him time to set Rick Steiner up for the Jackknife. [CENTER][B]Your Winners:[/B] Via pinfall, the Outsiders [SIZE="4"][B]WCW Television Championship 'The Man of 1000 Holds' Dean Malenko (c) v Johnny Grunge[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER] Malenko destroyed Grunge tonight. He could have finished it in half a minute. But tonight it was like he wanted to showcase his variety of moves and he gave Grunge a complete and utter wrestling lesson. [CENTER][B]Your Winner:[/B] Via submission, and STILL WCW Television Champion, Dean Malenko[/CENTER] [I]Also Sprach Zarathrusta[/I] starts, and out comes 'Nature Boy' Ric Flair in a blue sequined robe. He gets to the bottom of the ramp, turns and poses as the pyros go off behind him. At the bottom of the ramp awaits 'Mean' Gene Okerlund. "Alright guys, I've been joined by 'Nature Boy' Ric Flair. Last night Ric,..." "MEAN BY GOD GENE! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Last night! LAST NIGHT! The world of professional wrestling changed forever, pal. Did you hear what I said? The world of professional wrestling changed forever, jack! WOOOOOOOOOOO!!! And by god, do I feel good about that?" A production crew member walks from the back, and hands a piece of paper to 'Mean' Gene Okerlund. "Well... I have a notice here from the WCW Board of Directors, Ric. Without going into every detail, tonight they have signed a contract for you to face Saturn..." "WOOOOO!!! It would be an honour, pal." "But, they have also stated that under direction of Eric Bischoff, your continued appearances here in World Championship Wrestling are under scrutiny. Ric Flair, what do you have to say to that?" "Eric Bischoff... by god, you're a liar, you're a cheat, you're a coward, you're no good. Pal, I hate your guts. Yeah, that's right, I hate your guts. You have to understand one thing Eric, WCW is .... Flair country! WOOOOOOOOOO!! Eric Bischoff, why don't you take off the make up and become a man, pal. You see, to be the man... you have to beat the man. Take a look at the man who just won tonight. Dean Malenko. A legend. A champion. Dedicated to the cause. You, you are a liar, you are a cheat, you are a coward. You are trying to stifle the likes of Malenko. Pal, you want to shut down Space Mountain. It may be the oldest ride in the park but it still has the longest ride, jack. This ain't no garden party! This is wrestling, where only the strong survive. So Bischoff, I ask you to step out from behind the desk and become a man. That's right pal, I'm providing you with a challenge. But remember, I hate your guts. I hate you with a passion, more than life itself. And I will end you... WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! And just when you think your board room chronies can stop Ric Flair.... Diamonds are forever... WOOOOOOO!!! And so is Ric Flair!" [CENTER][SIZE="4"][B]Buff 'the Stuff' Bagwell v Bret 'The Hitman' Hart[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER] Bagwell was still clearly hurting from last night. That, or he's just not that good. Maybe it's the latter, but there was no way we were jobbing Hart to Bagwell. Hart was in his element, and literally destroyed Bagwell. [CENTER][B]Your Winner:[/B] Via submission, Bret Hart [I]OOOOOH YEAH![/I][/CENTER] [I]Pomp and Circumstance[/I] begins as 'Mean' Gene Okerlund stands at the bottom of the ramp awaiting his next guest, 'Macho Man' Randy Savage who has with him his beautiful reunited wife, Miss Elizabeth. Savage is not in nWo attire, those days are past him it seems. "Randy Savage, the last couple of years have been hell for you," Okerlund confides. "And I mean that sincerely Randy, I don't necessarily mean in the ring, or in front of the cameras. I think you know where I'm going with this, but as most people would realise, your marriage with Miss Elizabeth, the beautiful was effectively over. Now, now look at you. You must feel revitalised." "OOOOOOOH YEAH! Dig it! Yeah you know Gene, you know most of us wrestlers better than most yeah. You're around us 24/7, you know what makes us tick, yeah. And what was it you said on the hotline only three months ago? You said yeah that I should look to leave the nWo. I didn't know what to make of it, yeah but it was a sign. And what should happen? Yeah the veil of darkness that shrowded my eyes, that being Hulk Hogan yeah and the New World Order, that veil was lifted. And I saw the light." "Randy, I look at you and see you just look like you have a fresh lease of life." "Oooh yeah, that's how I feel Gene." "So is this for real? Is this going to carry on? Savage?" Savage turns to Miss Elizabeth, and plants a kiss on her lips. "Well! I think that answers that..." Just then, Savage turns around to see Lodi eyeing off Liz. "Oooh yeah, what the hell is the meaning of this?" Lodi looks at Savage, and shakes his head. "Liz, honey, where do you get those pearls? They're to die for. Christies on Rodeo Drive I bet..." "Dig it, beat it!" Lodi looks at the threatening gaze of Savage, and decides to walk off quickly. [SIZE="4"][B]Pipeline Feva ('Wipeout' Evan Karagias and 'Cutback' Lash Le Roux) v Harlem Heat v Latin Passion (Juventud Guerrera and Hector Garza) v nWo Japan (Masahiro Chono and the Great Muta)[/B][/SIZE] Three good young teams, Chono and Muta are not youngsters, but they're relatively green in their combination in the US here in WCW. The others though are very green, and this effectively allowed it to become a two on two match which the vastly experienced, powerful and canniving Harlem Heat managed to concoct a victory out of, gaining some semblence of revenge in their mind for the travesty of last night. [CENTER][B]Your Winners:[/B] Via pinfall, Harlem Heat[/CENTER] We cut backstage, where 'The Master of the Diamond Cutter' Diamond Dallas Page has entered the dressing room of the Four Horsemen. It is barren, there isn't a soul abound. But what there is is the United States Championship. Like a stealthy thief in the night, Page tentatively tip toes in and grabs the Championship from the top of Chris Benoit's bag, and then walks out. [CENTER][B][SIZE="4"]'Nature Boy' Ric Flair v Perry Saturn[/SIZE][/B][/CENTER] Saturn is a young up and coming wrestler who has already seen the light and ditched Raven's Flock. He has a very real presence about him, he looks like someone who knows what it is like to be in the crosshairs, and he looks like someone who knows how to handle himself in such a situation. But as much as the badstreets of life have prepared him, they could never prepare him for this man. The most experienced wrestler on the face of the planet. Space Mountain himself. Despite a defiant attempt at dethroning Flair, the Nature Boy always had some dirty trick up his sleeve. [CENTER][B]Your Winner:[/B] Via submission, Ric Flair [SIZE="4"][B]'The Laughing Man' Hugh Morrus v Kurt Angle[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER] Tonight was the debut of the 1996 Olympic Gold medalist Kurt Angle. He looked excessively raw, a little apprehensive, and it appeared as if Hugh Morrus, himself no veteran, had to largely guide Angle through the match. But despite this, it was still impressive to see an amatuer superstar try to impose himself on the professional stage. As the match wore on his timing and agility seemed to improve. And after a sustained fight with Morrus, with Raven watching at ringside, he was able to hit an over head release slam for the victory. [CENTER][B]Your Winner:[/B] Via pinfall, Kurt Angle[/CENTER] Post match, as Mickey Jay held his arm aloft, Kurt Angle took the microphone from David Penzer. "Raven, you know who I am. For those of you who don't, my name is Kurt Angle. And this, is an Olympic gold medal. And how did I earn this gold medal? By sacrifice. By personal sacrifice. I fractured two of my cervical vertebrae, herniating two discs and pulled four neck muscles. Yeah, and that was just the preparation. But Raven, did I whinge? Did I moan? Did I even so much as complain? No, the answer is no I did not. There was something I wanted so bad that I just kept on fighting the odds. You know Raven, I've sat at home and I've listened. You act as if... the world... has crucified you. You act as if your life is an endless misery because of everything that happens around you. And you accept it, and you believe that this is the way life is meant to be. It's a sad way of life, Raven. And maybe, just maybe someone needs to stop your whinging. Fractured cervical vertebrae, Raven, fractured cervical vertebrae. Think about that. There was no what about me, it was let's go and win the United States of America a gold medal. Oh it's true... Raven, it's true. Fractured cervical vertebrae man, you know where they are? They're the vertebrae that support your skull, which houses your brain, Raven. Think about it. Are you going to become a man and learn about the real world, or do I have to break you in two at all costs at all odds, for these fans, just like I did for this great nation we call the United States of America!" [CENTER][SIZE="4"][B]WCW United States Championship 'Rabid Wolverine' Chris Benoit (c) v 'The Master of the Diamond Cutter' Diamond Dallas Page[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER] The first major rematch of the night, and this one started off with a hiss and a roar. A fired up Chris Benoit dropped protocol to go wailing on Diamond Dallas Page, incensed by Page stealing his Championship deceptively earlier in the show. Page was pounded powerfully by Benoit, but eventually he was able to escape to the sanctity of the ring floor to clear the air. But Benoit would not abate and followed Page, hauling him back in by the hair. However he gave ring position to Page, who was able to head butt Benoit to the mid drift as Benoit climbed onto the apron, before bringing him back in the hard way with a high vertical suplex. This allowed the clinical Dallas Page to use his experience to slow down the vitality laiden Benoit, whose energy was being burned out by his own desperation. Page used his wealth of knowledge to apply various choke holds, knowing the mental and physical strain Benoit would have to exert to clear himself of the devious moves would render him more deranged, and less focussed on executing a well defined strategy, something Chris Benoit of late has been exceptional at. The crowd were getting restless, noting the dominance being displayed by Page. But Arn Anderson wandered down to the ring and called for his raw asset to get clear of Page and clear the air. At his first break, Benoit rolled to the outside and listened to Anderson bark out 'HONOUR'. When Benoit regathered his nerve, and got back in the ring, the match took on a completely different life. Benoit was revitalised and focused, and showed the wrestling world why this combination with his pure physical talent should mean many restless nights for those who cross him. In a fit of desperation, Page went for the Diamond Cutter, but Benoit bloked his arms and hit a swinging necbkreaker instead. He then stood up as Page groggily got up... German Suplex! And again! And again! Finally, he signalled with a slit across the throat that the end was nigh. Up to the top he went... he held aloft the four fingers.... and then... Diving Headbutt! Page was motionless, which gave Benoit time to recover from the fall and apply... THE CRIPPLER CROSSFACE! Diamond Dallas had no option but to tap immediately! [CENTER][B]Your Winner:[/B] Via submission, and STILL WCW United States Champion, Chris Benoit[/CENTER] Arn Anderson got in the ring after the match, and embraced Chris Benoit. It is quite clear that Anderson looks upon Benoit as his protege, the man who could replace himself and also potentially take over the reigns from Ric Flair. Benoit was elated at seeing the title back around his waist. [CENTER][SIZE="4"][B]Goldberg v Scott 'Flash' Norton[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER] Splat. You know the rest. [CENTER][B]Your Winner:[/B] Via pinfall, Goldberg[/CENTER] Post match, Goldberg took the microphone from Dave Penzer. "Hogan... Aha... Hogan... YOU'RE..... NEXT! There's no escape... FEAR...THE....SPEAR!" We cut immediately backstage, an apprehensive 'Hollywood' Hulk Hogan was hauling his luggage bag out of the arena, and getting in the nWo limousine. It was clear he did not want to stick around incase he found his way into the path of Goldberg. [QUOTE][U]Video Recap:[/U] "Both men are on the top," Schiavone commentates. "Anything could happen..." "Punches being thrown, haymakers," Tenay adds. "Looks like Sting is preparing for some kind of belly to ... OH ... OH... OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD!" "He just ... No, he can't have done that," Tenay says. "It's got to be over, I think we have a new bright light," Heenan mentions. "I think this hamenegger's lights are out..." "I think you may be righ.... It's...IT'S... IT'S OVER! He's TAPPING! He's TAPPING! Jericho is the new World Heavyweight Champion!" [/QUOTE] [CENTER][SIZE="4"][B]WCW World Heavyweight Championship 'Lionheart' Chris Jericho (c) v Sting[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER] While Jericho strolled to the ring with the nWo colours, and the nWo theme music, he made sure the belt was still poignantly clean of all nWo insignia. It seems even he believes honour should be restored in the belt itself. Both men circle the ring before locking up, and forcing a stalemate as Jericho is put into the corner but referee Nick Patrick backs them up. Jericho thrusts out his right hand... "What the..." Schiavone intelligently comments. "Has he caught the honour bug?" "It would appear so," Tenay adds. "What a man... What a m... Yeah, now we know your true colours." As Sting thought about it and turned to the crowd for their thoughts, Jericho slapped his right hand across the cheek of Sting. But Sting came back and kicked Jericho hard to the stomach, before pounding out ten hard right hands to Jericho. WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! The crowd were right behind the Stinger. Jericho was stunned as Sting continued on the attack. He then looked to tire out the athletic superstar by sending him criss crossing across the ring, before launching a very well balanced drop kick straight to the head of Jericho which sent him down hard to the outside. Sting climbed to the outside and immediately took hold of Jericho and sent him straight into the steel guardrail at ringside. Sting slapped him once, twice, three times a lady. Jericho reeled back in agony and fell into the first row of the crowd as Sting landed another. Sting followed him into the crowd and the two men brawled. Nick Patrick finally started the count out count, and Sting realised this knowing he could not win the Championship back on the outside threw Jericho back in. Sting followed Jericho back in and launched a knee drop onto the bridge of the nose of Jericho. Classic old school action there from the Stinger. The crowd were roaring as Sting brought Jericho back up and exchanged a fury or closed fists, which forced Nick Patrick to intervene. Jericho reeled away grabbing his cheek, and then Sting charged at him before Jericho was away to react decisively with an arm drag takedown into an armbar submission. Is that move 759 of the 1004 holds I wonder? Jericho used the Randy Orton type rest hold as a way to get oxygen back into the lungs. Sting was able to release the hold and fight back to a wide vertical base, before Jericho grabbed him by the left hand and whipped him into the rope, Sting came back, leapfrog from Jericho, back comes Sting, drop toe hold from Jericho. He's going for it...!!! But it's not the Liontamer! It's the Scorpion Death Drop! Jericho has the Scorpion Death Drop locked on the master! Sting is aching in pain. After half a minute through Sting was able to find some leg strength and throw Jericho off balance enough to grab at his right foot, bring him down to the mat... LIONTAMER! Sting put Jericho in the Lion Tamer! Jericho's face is priceless. He's in a world of pain. He's in the centre of the ring and there seems to be no escape. It seems the Championship is going back after only one night. How will Jericho be received now by the wrestling pundits after holding the gold for only one night? There's already some who question his validity. Nick Patrick kept checking on Jericho, but he shook his head defiantly. Sting kept arching back, curling Jericho's hips and back alignment very unnaturally. Jericho used all his power and might to get himself an inch or two above the ground and tried to scurry to the ropes, but he couldn't get there before Sting tightened the hold and arched back harder forcing Jericho to drop back to the mat in agony. Patrick checked on Jericho again, but again he would not relent. Sting continued on, but Jericho defied all the pain again and this time stormed towards the ropes... so close... so close... NO! Jericho got there! How many lives does this cat have? Sting looked emphatically shocked, but instead of questioning Nick Patrick went straight back to the attack. Jericho limped into the corner, before Sting finally got emotional and started asking Nick Patrick what happened. Jericho used the distraction to unbuckle the top turnbuckle, as he sat against the turnbuckle. Sting sprang into life... STINGER SPL.. NO! Jericho moved out of the way, Sting has gone head first into the exposed and unforgiving steel cable. He clutches at his head and falls back to the ground immediately. Blood has started to flow from above his head. Nick Patrick is telling Sting he's going to call for an end to the bout, but Sting brushes him away. Sting gets back to his feet and throws a right, but Jericho is nowhere in site. Sting can barely see anything due to the blood flow. Jericho grabs him by the wrist and sends him into the rope, but Sting times it magnificently coming back with a cross body...into a roll up...1....2.... thr...NO! Jericho rolled out of it in time. That was close. Magnificent experience there from Sting. Sting back up, wipes away some of the blood and lashes out a mid drift kick, but Jericho relentlessly rips at the forehead with his right hand and gouges open the wound further. Despicable. Sting and Jericho both trading punches, but Sting appears to be fading out. The loss of blood seems to really be having an effect. A left from Sting, a right from Jericho, a left from Sting that misses, Jericho swings him around... Atomic drop! Sting slowly back to his feet, Jericho posing doesn't realise he's back up... SWINGING NECKBREAKER! Sting goes for the Scorpion Death Lock but Jericho kicks him into the ropes, Sting stumbles back, and into the clutches of Jericho... LIONTAMER! LIONTAMER! In the centre of the ring! Sting is fighting, he's fighting hard, but...but... there's no release! There's no way out, Sting in an act of despair and hopelessness has to tap. WOW, what a rematch! What a rematch! Sting was so close, so many times. [CENTER][B]Your Winner:[/B] Via submission, and STILL WCW World Heavyweight Champion, Chris Jericho[/CENTER]

[CENTER][IMG]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/tristramwcw/thunder1.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] [B]Quick Picks[/B] Chavo Guerrero Jr v Kidman v Ultimo Dragon v Silver King WCW Television Championship: 'The Man of 1000 Holds' Dean Malenko (c) v Wrath Public Enemy v Los Vengadores ('The Chairman of WCW' and Lizmark Jr) 'Nature Boy' Ric Flair v Masahiro Chono Curt Hennig v Goldberg WCW United States Championship: 'Rabid Wolverine' Chris Benoit (c) v WCW Cruiserweight Champion Eddie Guerrero 'The Master of the Diamond Cutter' Diamond Dallas Page and 'Hollywood' Hulk Hogan v The British Connection ('Lord' Steven Regal and 'The Belfast Bruiser' Fit Finlay) WCW World Heavyweight Championship: 'Lionheart' Chris Jericho (c) v Rey Mysterio Jr

An interesting route for Chris Jericho. Interested in seeing how that goes. [B]Chavo Guerrero Jr[/B] v Kidman v Ultimo Dragon v Silver King [I]In preparation for a match with Uncle Eddie?[/I] WCW Television Championship: [B]'The Man of 1000 Holds' Dean Malenko (c)[/B] v Wrath [I]Honour. It's all about Honour![/I] [B]Public Enemy[/B] v Los Vengadores ('The Chairman of WCW' and Lizmark Jr) [I]Always been a fan of the P.E.[/I] [B]'Nature Boy' Ric Flair[/B] v Masahiro Chono [I]Whooooooo![/I] Curt Hennig v [B]Goldberg[/B] [I]Stiffer challenge than the last few weeks but still...splat![/I] WCW United States Championship: [B]'Rabid Wolverine' Chris Benoit (c)[/B] v WCW Cruiserweight Champion Eddie Guerrero [I]A classic matchup but the WCW U.S. Champ outranks the WCW Cruiserweight Champ.[/I] [B]'The Master of the Diamond Cutter' Diamond Dallas Page and 'Hollywood' Hulk Hogan[/B] v The British Connection ('Lord' Steven Regal and 'The Belfast Bruiser' Fit Finlay) [I]nWo just too much for the British Connection.[/I] WCW World Heavyweight Championship: [B]'Lionheart' Chris Jericho (c)[/B] v Rey Mysterio Jr [I]Good wrestling style match but Jericho is definitely more top notch at this point in time.[/I]

[B]Quick Picks[/B] [B]Chavo Guerrero Jr[/B] v Kidman v Ultimo Dragon v Silver King Chavo sets up for a title shot at uncle Eddie WCW Television Championship: [B]'The Man of 1000 Holds' Dean Malenko[/B] (c) v Wrath I like Wrath, but you seem to be high on Dean-O. Public Enemy v [B]Los Vengadores[/B] ('The Chairman of WCW' and Lizmark Jr) If this was a year or so later, I would predict Sid kills both teams. [B]'Nature Boy' Ric Flair[/B] v Masahiro Chono Is Chono even on the regular roster? Curt Hennig v [B]Goldberg[/B] Sad to see Norton get splatted. He was always underrated in the US. WCW United States Championship: 'Rabid Wolverine' [B]Chris Benoit[/B] (c) v WCW Cruiserweight Champion Eddie Guerrero Do us a favor, and drug test both of these guys. [B]'The Master of the Diamond Cutter' Diamond Dallas Page and 'Hollywood' Hulk Hogan[/B] v The British Connection ('Lord' Steven Regal and 'The Belfast Bruiser' Fit Finlay) I'm sure this will be a highly competitive, mat-wrestling classic. WCW World Heavyweight Championship: 'Lionheart' [B]Chris Jericho[/B] (c) v Rey Mysterio Jr Bizarre choice for Jericho's first post-rematch title shot. I think it makes Sting look really weak to job cleanly twice in two days. He could have easily been protected by some interference, even won by DQ to get some of his heat back, but I really don't like your top babyface tapping out cleanly two nights in a row. Especially since it spoils an easy set-up for a pay per view re-match. I think you definitely misunderstood a lot of what I said in my last post. You thought I misread the Angle segment because I said it was weird to think about Angle in a mask. No, I didn't misread it, I just couldn't picture Angle wearing a mask at any point, if only for a surprise run-in.

[QUOTE=lazorbeak;536404] Bizarre choice for Jericho's first post-rematch title shot.[/quote] There is something at the start of Thunder to bring about this match. There is also something a few months ago in this very diary that brings about this match. I wouldn't however get too concerned about the match, it is not a growing trend. [quote]I think it makes Sting look really weak to job cleanly twice in two days. He could have easily been protected by some interference, even won by DQ to get some of his heat back, but I really don't like your top babyface tapping out cleanly two nights in a row. Especially since it spoils an easy set-up for a pay per view re-match. I think you definitely misunderstood a lot of what I said in my last post. You thought I misread the Angle segment because I said it was weird to think about Angle in a mask. No, I didn't misread it, I just couldn't picture Angle wearing a mask at any point, if only for a surprise run-in.[/QUOTE] I understand what you say about Sting. But, he did not job cleanly twice. The second match involved the use of the steel cable to bloodbath him. In my eyes he is not looking weak. Firstly, can I just say, as I think those who have talked to me a bit, particularly keefmoon would know how big a fan of Sting I am. Sting's assault on the nWo was probably the thing that got me interested again in professional wrestling. I'd never seen anything like it before, and for a naiive youngster without the internet I'd tune in to Monday Nitro (which was delayed a month or two where I was) and be thrilled by what was going on. We'd go to high school and we'd all be making predictions about what was going to happen next. We all talked WCW till Starrcade 1997, after the cheap rubbish that went on in that main event it was not just coincidental that a lot of the guys really stopped talking WCW. Sting, among many others, was handled and booked poorly. I also understand you could not picture Angle the way he was. I appreciate your comment on that. The mask itself comes into play in a later promo. Thanks as always for the comments, I do appreciate them. It's kinda funny because when I wrote DOWCW I booked it on the fly and at times changed my own booking notes based on feedback. This one though I've pretty much booked up and I'm fairly happy with it, I knew there was some short term failings around Stampede but long term I think it all fills in the blanks nicely. Cheers.

[QUOTE]If this was a year or so later, I would predict Sid kills both teams.[/QUOTE] I did, however, laugh at this comment. Very true. To answer your question on Masahiro, no, he's not a regular. WCW at this point has a working agreement with NJPW. Chono, Hiroyoshi Tenzan and the Great Muta were brought in as nWo Japan from time to time. From this relationship also Yuji Nagata and Magnum Tokyo were occassionally in WCW. In return, the likes of Scott Norton appeared in NJPW quite regularly. In real life, the partnership eventually dissolved when Eric Bischoff began protesting at who NJPW were allowing to join nWo Japan on their shows, so he dissolved the partnership and that's largely why we didn't see more of Chono, Muta and co on Nitro/Thunder.

I still need to read this, so these picks are going to be on the fly (not to mention a reminder to myself to read, as I enjoyed your old WCW diary). [B]Chavo Guerrero Jr[/B] v Kidman v Ultimo Dragon v Silver King [i]My brain says Ultimo, but my gut says Chavo.[/i] WCW Television Championship: [B]'The Man of 1000 Holds' Dean Malenko (c)[/B] v Wrath [i]Dean is the f'ing man[/i] Public Enemy v [B]Los Vengadores ('The Chairman of WCW' and Lizmark Jr)[/B] [I]The Public Enemy was a fun gimmick, but that's all they were.[/I] [B]'Nature Boy' Ric Flair [/B]v Masahiro Chono [i]WOOOOOO![/i] Curt Hennig v [B]Goldberg[/B] [i]Passing the torch[/i] WCW United States Championship: 'Rabid Wolverine' Chris Benoit (c) v [B]WCW Cruiserweight Champion Eddie Guerrero[/B] [i]EDDIE ^_^[/i] 'The Master of the Diamond Cutter' Diamond Dallas Page and 'Hollywood' Hulk Hogan v [B]The British Connection ('Lord' Steven Regal and 'The Belfast Bruiser' Fit Finlay)[/B] [i]This isn't going to happen, but the team of Regal and Finlay is just too good to pass up![/i] WCW World Heavyweight Championship: [B]'Lionheart' Chris Jericho (c) [/B]v Rey Mysterio Jr [i]Jericho's the champ!? Sweet...[/i]

[CENTER][IMG]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/tristramwcw/thunder1.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] At the start of the show, 'Mean' Gene Okerlund stands at the bottom of the entrance ramp.... [CENTER][I]n....W.....o NN..NNN...NEW WORLD ORDER FF..FFF..FOR LIFE[/I][/CENTER] And here comes the WCW World Heavyweight Champion, 'Lionheart' Chris Jericho. The World Heavyweight Championship belt is strapped around his waist, and is still devoid of any nWo insignia markings. He has come out with a black hat in his right hand. "Chris Jericho, these fans all across the world watching Thunder want to know what it is you have in that hat?" "First things first. You will address me by my full and proper name. Lion Heart Chris Jericho, the man of 1004 holds, lord and master of all the Jerichoholics across the globe. Secondly.... Thunder? Thunder? Thunder, play it again Sam? How many times do I have to tell you, the name of the show has changed jack, it's Thursday Night Jericho. And I am indeed the walrus, coocoo ca chu. You see, every night is now Jericho. And I vow never...EVVVVVERRRRR to treat the Jerichoholics badly simply for the very reason that I am better than all of them. So for all you raving Jerichoholics out there, your paragon of good virtue is indeed here, in the flesh. So get the cameras out, and flash the greatest specimen any of you will ever lay eyes on. Now Okerlund, tell me, whose fighting tonight on Thursday Night Jericho..." Okerlund looks down at a sheet in his hand, "First up, Kidman versus Chavo Guerrero Jr versus Ultimo Dragon versus Silver King..." "Ahhh, my good old friend Silver King. You know Junior, if he wins just twelve more times he gets a free upgrade to Golden King." "The hat Jericho, what's in the hat?" Okerlund demands. "Oh this? It's very simple. You see, my Jerichoholics need to be cured of their addictions by seeing the ayatollah of rock... n ROLLA, their paragon of good virtue, the king of the world, the man of 1004 holds... I can recite them if you want.." "That's quite alright, we believe you, but what's in that hat?" "Patience Sam, patience. In this hat I have randomly put some names of fellow wrestlers who deserve an opportunity at my World Heavyweight Championship. And that opportunity will come.... tonight. So without further adieu Sam, if you could hold the hat, I will make the draw..." Gene Okerlund takes the hat and holds it in front of him. Jericho smiles and reaches in and grabs a name and gives it to Okerlund. "Well, you have drawn the Gia..." "NO! Give me that! That's a mistake, it's the Gi...Raffe. Someone's playing jokes with me here, and nearly giving me a heart attack at the same time. Pick again Sam..." Okerlund reaches in as Jericho smiles again. Out comes another name. "Tonight Chris Jericho, you have drawn... Rey...Mysterio Jr!" Jericho smiles, "Is that some Power Plant punk? The name rings a bell. Oh that's right, I've beaten him many times before for the Cruiserweight Championship..." "And I believe he's beaten you a few times too, Jericho!" "Who the hell are you? PWI listing of matches for 1997? Would you please...shut...the...hell.....up! This is my segment junior, so if you don't mind... Tonight Rey Mysterio Jr, you have made a big mistake not stopping your name from getting in this hat. What makes it all the more sweeter for me is because when I joined the nWo, it was at your expense. Remember? Remember when I cost you and Chavo Guerrero Jr a win over the nWo? Tonight, you find out what it's like to step up under the big top lights, and get your back snapped by the Lion Tamer! Because Chris Jericho is nWo for life pal, and come hell or high water, the true king of the world will never....EEEEEVVVVEEERRR let you take this gold off me!" [CENTER][B][SIZE="4"]Chavo Guerrero Jr v Ultimo Dragon v Silver King v Kidman[/SIZE][/B][/CENTER] A four man high flying extravaganza to start off tonight's card. It's all in as well, no tags, all four going at it once. And that could only equal one thing, thrills spills and carnage. This one was too quick for me to really review it and give it thorough justice, Chavo appeared heaven sent to win with a commanding display, but just as he had it over Silver King, Eddie Guerrero came down to ringside, distracted him and then slapped him across the face. Kidman from behind ... schoolboy roll up...1...2....3! [CENTER][B]Your Winner:[/B] Via pinfall, Kidman[/CENTER] We go backstage, where 'The Master of the Diamond Cutter' Diamond Dallas Page is throwing chairs around inside his dressing room. He is furious, he is clearing drink bottles off the table in a fit of rage. "Baby, baby, what's up?" Kim asks as she walks in. "What's up? What's up? Ahh...doh... let me think about that. Do you notice anything missing?" "No baby, I can assure you, THAT's still there..." "What?... No! No! Not that! My Championship. Where is my United States Championship?..." Kim shrugs her shoulders as Page picks up another chair and hurls it across the room. The chair accidentally goes through the open door, and hits the knee of the Giant. The Giant anguishes for a second, before walking and standing, towering above Diamond Dallas Page. Page gulps, as the Giant shakes his head... "There is a price to pay Page, there will be a price to pay..." ... "Fans, what a night we have in store for you," Schiavone adds. "Tonight, live here on Thunder on the Superstation, Diamond Dallas Page will team with 'Hollywood' Hulk Hogan against the might of the British Empire, 'Lord' Steven Regal and 'The Belfast Bruiser' Fit Finlay. That's later in our broadcast." [CENTER][B][SIZE="4"]WCW Television Championship 'The Man of 1000 Holds' Dean Malenko (c) v Wrath[/SIZE][/B][/CENTER] A man of power Wrath may be, but the guile that is exhibited by Dean Malenko at th emoment is making him a very dangerous propisition. Wrath tried to overpower Malenko, but every corner he turned Malenko seemed to have a counter. [CENTER][B]Your Winner:[/B] Via submission, and STILL WCW Television Champion, Dean Malenko[/CENTER] We cut to the back, where 'Rabid Wolverine' Chris Benoit stands in the hallways with the WCW United States Championship slumped over his shoulder. Standing toe to toe with him is Eddie Guerrero. Guerrero smiles as he extends his right hand, but Benoit looks down at it and ignores it. "Esse... holmes. Amigo! We're like brothers you and I, esse. We've gone down this highway and that many times, you feel. I've been there for you esse, and now look at you... United States Champion... Wow man... Esse, tonight, how about you give me a shot, for old time's sakes?" Benoit mulls it over, before nodding. "Esse, I knew you were a man of honour. I promise to give you a great match, holmes..." [CENTER][SIZE="4"][B]Public Enemy ('Flyboy' Rocco Rock and Johnny Grunge) v Los Vengadores ('The Chairman of WCW' La Parka and Lizmark Jr)[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER] An interesting midcard clash, here. Some colourful characters. Wasn't an especially long match, but it did feature the Chairman chairing another meeting, this time on the head of Rocco Rock. Charles Robinson missed it altogether, but was there to make the count. [CENTER][B]Your Winners:[/B] Via pinfall, Los Vengadores[/CENTER] [I]Also Sprach Zarathrusta[/I] hits the PA, which can only mean one thing, 'The Nature Boy' Ric Flair. Tonight he comes down to the ring in a green sequined robe, as he turns at the bottom of the ramp as a glorious round of pyros support the Nature Boy. "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Did somebody say that the Horsemen were going to have a party tonight in... GREENVILLE?! Is...that...so? You know, last Sunday, Arn Anderson reunited the most elite group in professional wrestling history. Unlike our nWo imitiation, a cheap piece of flattery at that, the nWo is for the elite. It's the best Four Horsemen to ride forth from the Apocalypse of hell that Eric Bischoff, an abuse of power, can put forth in front of us today. So you have the most coveted World Heavyweight Champion of all time... WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Slick Ric himself. Then you have the current United States Champion, the current Television Champion, and then you have a man who has not been defeated yet. WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! All under the leadership of Arn Anderson. Eric Bischoff, you! You abuse of power, pal. You cheat. You liar. You are a disgrace. You told me to disband the Horsemen forever. Well guess what pal, I did not! You can never, ever end such history. Never! It just needed a reason to ride again. And the reason is clear! To end you and your New World Order. Because pal, in generations time they will look back at this era and announce to the world that were was once an elite group that dominated the sport as we knew it, pal. And you know what? Bischoff! You abuse of power, you no good lying cheat! They won't be discussing your creation. They'll see it for what it was, another war story for the Horsemen. You can do as you wish Bischoff! You can fire me, you can put federal investigators onto me, WOOOOOOOOO!!! I don't care pal, but one thing I can assure you is the nWo will be destroyed by the Four Horsemen. I promise you that, that's not a threat pal, that's a guarantee. So send one of ya best down here, Bischoff... WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! And let me teach you why the saying is true - diamonds are forever, and so is Ric Flair!" [CENTER][SIZE="4"][B]'Nature Boy' Ric Flair v Masahiro Chono[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER] One of the best did come down, one who has yet to fully make his impact here in the States, but is still dominating in nWo Japan in NJPW. Masahiro Chono. A strong man, with a world of experience in Japan and in the 80s in the States. But tonight was not his night, Ric Flair wouldn't have lost to God himself with the mood he is in. [CENTER][B]Your Winner:[/B] Via submission, Ric Flair[/CENTER] The Storm-trooper music starts up, and out comes the newest member of the Four Horsemen, Goldberg. Inside the Horsemen dressing room, he cracks his head against the blue locker door, and Greenville's finest walk him towards the ring area. He goes through the gorilla position... [I]HOGAN! HOGAN! HOGAN! HOGAN![/I] This cause Goldberg to snap, and he immediately went into the crowd and grabbed the piped in chant machine... Ok, I kid, it was of course chanting for Goldberg. """None""" of it was piped in :rolleyes: He got to the bottom of the ramp, and was consumed by a steaming pyrotechnics display, before bursting clear with rights and lefts uppercuts and storming to the ring. [CENTER][SIZE="4"][B]nWo Tag Team Champion Curt Hennig v Goldberg[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER] There waiting for him was Curt Hennig, a man completely and utterly despised by the nWo for the way he broke them up in 1997 by turning on them at Fall Brawl to join the nWo. So this took on extra intensity for Goldberg, who had effectively replaced Hennig. Rick Rude came onto the apron, and Goldberg hit a standing side kick to power him down to the ring floor, leaving Hennig clear for the spear... and now... THE JACKHAMMER! [CENTER][B]Your Winner:[/B] Via pinfall, Goldberg [SIZE="4"][B]WCW United States Championship 'Rabid Wolverine' Chris Benoit (c) v WCW Cruiserweight Champion Eddie Guerrero[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER] Two wily old friends, each with independent views of the world. Benoit seems to be on a roaming commission for the Four Horsemen, trying to bring honour to the prestigious United States Championship. Guerrero is from a large wrestling family, and Chavo Guerrero Jr believes his uncle has turned his back on all their own traditions. Guerrero will stop at nothing for such prestigious gold as the United States Championship. So aside from being outrageously brilliant wrestlers in their own right, all the individual histories both men had gone through recently made this match a must watch. The action was just outstanding. One of the matches of 2008 perhaps? Oh wait, I need to see the Hogan/Warrior classic (pssst: I won't be booking that one). If we take a look inside the world of WCW it may be safe to assume that these two men are going to be major players around 2000 (sic: We know in reality they weren't, sadly), perhaps now they are being groomed for that opportunity. So it was great in the middle of 1998 to see them hook it up and produce this 5 star classic. They were also given time to put on this classic tale. 19 minutes, inordinately long for a televised match, title shot or not. The ending of the match was admirable. Guerrero had started to come back against amazing odds to mount an aggressive rearguard action against Benoit. Some of the stiff shots from Guerrero had sent Benoit down hard. He followed these up with his own version of the multiple german suplexes, with multiple snapping vertical suplexes. He then went to the top... signalled for the Frog Splash... Leapt, but was he did, Benoit rolled to the side, playing possum, and when Guerrero hit he quickly wrapped his hands in a lock around the chin of Guerrero. The Crippler Crossface was locked on! Guerrero had no answer! As good as he was, and as much as he wanted this, he could not take the pain. [CENTER][B]Your Winner:[/B] Via submission, and STILL WCW United States Champion, Chris Benoit[/CENTER] "Oh my, guys get on your feet and clap this," Schiavone implores. "That was stunning, but this is the greatest wrestling promotion in the world so what would you expect? Each and every night here these WCW athletes give it their all." "I'll tell you what that did show me," Tenay adds, "It showed me how much punishment Chris Benoit can absorb, and more importantly, in much the same way with Diamond Dallas Page with his Diamond Cutter, how many different ways Chris Benoit is learning to put the Crippler Crossface on his opponents. The variety of execution from DDP has made the Diamond Cutter what it is because you never know when it's coming, but I must say, Chris Benoit's Crossface is becoming as potent as any move in professional wrestling." "Fans, we will have to take a break here on the Superstation, but don't go away, for later tonight, 'Lionheart' Chris Jericho puts his WCW World Heavyweight Championship on the line against Rey Mysterio Jr!" ... After the break, 'Rabid Wolverine' Chris Benoit limped back into the Four Horsemen dressing room. 'Nature Boy' Ric Flair had already changed back into a shart casual suit, while Malenko and Goldberg were icing up their necks frolm their matches. "WOOOOOOOO!!! I'm proud of you Benoit, you are ... the...next...big...WOOOO thing! Four from four for the Horsemen, Goldberg, Chris, Dean... get out of the outfits, get into something a little more relaxing, because tonight... WOOOOOOOOOO!!! Arn and I are going to teach you the benefits of being a Horsemen... Ladies, WOOOOOO lock up your daughters, because the Horsemen are back baby!" [CENTER][SIZE="4"][B]'The Master of the Diamond Cutter' Diamond Dallas Page and 'Hollywood' Hulk Hogan v The British Connection 'Lord' Steven Regal and 'The Belfast Bruiser' Fit Finlay)[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER] You could see Regal was still seething from how he had lost the Television Championship at Spring Stampede. But instead of unleashing himself, he let his own hitman, Fit Finlay, loose on Page. Finlay has brawled in many dark seedy Irish pub against all comers with the swagger of alcoholic courage in their bellies, so nothing appears to daunt him. Whilst Finlay was aggressive and took initial control, they had not realised just how P.Oed Diamond Dallas Page really was. The veteran withstood Finlay's stiff shots and then replied back by starting to work over Finlay. Finally he tagged in Hogan, who looked refreshed knowing Goldberg had left the arena. Finlay got to the ropes and got Regal in and initially the Blackpool relic took the ice-age relic for a spin with a few furious blows. He then tried to work Hogan over on the mat, but the great man (sic) would not sell, or was using his creative clause, I don't know, I don't care, but he found a way to get back on top. Hogan and Page used their experience to exchange quick, sharp tags to work over Regal. Regal was able to get over to Finlay after taking a fearful beating particularly from Page, and the plucky Irishman came in clearing house. It was great seeing him grab Hogan by what little hair he had and run him around the ring, but Page came in and hit a low blow on Finlay. This allowed Hogan to clear himself, get into the ropes and hit the big boot. With Finlay down, Regal made a desperate parlay but was stopped by Page's Diamond Cutter, leaving Hogan to hit the big stinky leg drop for the pin. [CENTER][B]Your Winners:[/B] Via pinfall, Hulk Hogan and Diamond Dallas Page[/CENTER] We pan around this Greenville crowd and up into the Corporate Boxes, where we can see Miss Elizabeth and 'Macho Man' Randy Savage watching on the action from a private booth. [CENTER][SIZE="4"][B]WCW World Heavyweight Championship 'Lionheart' Chris Jericho (c) v Rey Mysterio Jr[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER] Rey almost seemed perplexed by it all, and even took a couple of seconds to shout out to the crowd, it was very evident that he was taken back by all the pageantry of being in a WCW Thunder main event, more pertently in a Thunder main event for all the marbles. But Jericho did not allow him to settle, and ruthlessly went after him. These two have a very real history including recently when Jericho turned on the cruiserweights to consign them to a heartbreak loss against the nWo on an edition of Nitro. Rey was involved with that match and whilst revenge would certainly be in his mind, he did not have the size to physically take it to Jericho. It would be vital for Rey to follow his own predefined game plan and not get caught up in the issues surrounding the match. Indeed, Rey did manage to get away from the physical onslaught of Jericho and take the match to a criss cross, aerial affair where Rey excels like no other. What Rey though has to admit is that Chris Jericho is no stranger to that type of match either, and his adaptability is what has helped propel him to the top. Rey had brief interludes of dominance, which spiked the crowd, but essentially Chris Jericho was able to find a short cut to derail the second generation superstar. Rey and Jericho found themselves on the top rope, slugging out right hands. Jericho's extra physical presence though wore down Mysterio Jr, and Jericho was able to take Rey down with a massive superplex off the top rope. Rey crashed down hard, as did Jericho. Both men struggled to their feet, but Rey got there surprisingly enough first, he went crashing into the ropes, came back with a flying cross body, but Jericho caught him, and hit an overhead release slam. Jericho ran into the ropes... Lionsault! He covered...1....2... Kick out! Jericho tried again...1...2.... Again a kick out. Another lateral press, but Rey beat him before it even got to the second count. Both men got back to their feet and traded blows, before Rey inventively brought Jericho down with an inside cradle...1....2... NO! Jericho slipped out, and quickly grabbed Rey by the legs! Rey was helpless, trying as he might to push off Jericho... but Jericho turned him over! He arched back, and the enormity of the pain was too much. [CENTER][B]Your Winner:[/B] Via submission, and STILL WCW World Heavyweight Champion, Chris Jericho[/CENTER] Post match, Jericho received the belt and as Rey got back up he proceeded to run it into the head of Rey Mysterio Jr. He then stood with his right foot on the body of Rey, as Nick Patrick reluctantly raised his hand as the ring began to fill with debris.

[CENTER][IMG]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/tristramwcw/nitro.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER] [B]Quick Picks[/B] Hiroyoshi Tenzan v Kurt Angle Los Vengadores ('The Chairman of WCW' La Parka and Lizmark Jr) v West Hollywood Blonds (Lodi and Lenny Lane) WCW Cruiserweight Championship: Eddie Guerrero (c) v Rey Mysterio Jr Harlem Heat v 'Nature Boy' Ric Flair and WCW United States Champion 'Rabid Wolverine' Chris Benoit Kidman and 'The Laughing Man' Hugh Morrus v Perry Saturn and 'The Innovator of Offence' Chris Kanyon WCW Television Championship: 'The Man of 1000 Holds' Dean Malenko (c) v Disco Inferno Raven v 'Wipeout' Evan Karagias Sting v Buff 'The Stuff' Bagwell Masahiro Chono and the Great Muta v Goldberg and the Giant nWo Tag Team Championship: 'K-Dawg' Konnan and Curt Hennig (c) v 'The British Bulldog' Davey Boy Smith and Jim 'The Anvil' Neidhart Non Title Match: 'Lionheart' Chris Jericho (c) v 'Macho Man' Randy Savage

[QUOTE=foolinc;536592]I still need to read this, so these picks are going to be on the fly (not to mention a reminder to myself to read, as I enjoyed your old WCW diary). [B]Chavo Guerrero Jr[/B] v Kidman v Ultimo Dragon v Silver King [i]My brain says Ultimo, but my gut says Chavo.[/i] WCW Television Championship: [B]'The Man of 1000 Holds' Dean Malenko (c)[/B] v Wrath [i]Dean is the f'ing man[/i] Public Enemy v [B]Los Vengadores ('The Chairman of WCW' and Lizmark Jr)[/B] [I]The Public Enemy was a fun gimmick, but that's all they were.[/I] [B]'Nature Boy' Ric Flair [/B]v Masahiro Chono [i]WOOOOOO![/i] Curt Hennig v [B]Goldberg[/B] [i]Passing the torch[/i] WCW United States Championship: 'Rabid Wolverine' Chris Benoit (c) v [B]WCW Cruiserweight Champion Eddie Guerrero[/B] [i]EDDIE ^_^[/i] 'The Master of the Diamond Cutter' Diamond Dallas Page and 'Hollywood' Hulk Hogan v [B]The British Connection ('Lord' Steven Regal and 'The Belfast Bruiser' Fit Finlay)[/B] [i]This isn't going to happen, but the team of Regal and Finlay is just too good to pass up![/i] WCW World Heavyweight Championship: [B]'Lionheart' Chris Jericho (c) [/B]v Rey Mysterio Jr [i]Jericho's the champ!? Sweet...[/i][/QUOTE] Thanks for the comments and tips mate. Nice to have an old reader from DOWCW. I am currently really enjoying catching up on your diary too. I recommend to anyone to have a gander at [URL="http://67.19.230.90/~arles/forum/showthread.php?t=36320"]foolinc's take on NYCW.[/URL]

Hiroyoshi Tenzan v [B]Kurt Angle[/B] [I]Kurt in the slow build. Oh, it's true, it's true![/I] [B]Los Vengadores ('The Chairman of WCW' La Parka and Lizmark Jr)[/B] v West Hollywood Blonds (Lodi and Lenny Lane) [I]Seems the best pick of the two. Bah to them beating the Flyboy and Johnny Grunge, though![/I] WCW Cruiserweight Championship: [B]Eddie Guerrero (c)[/B] v Rey Mysterio Jr [I]Chavo with the attack and the DQ so that Eddie keeps the title.[/I] Harlem Heat v [B]'Nature Boy' Ric Flair and WCW United States Champion 'Rabid Wolverine' Chris Benoit[/B] [I]Another night for the Horsemen![/I] Kidman and 'The Laughing Man' Hugh Morrus v [B]Perry Saturn and 'The Innovator of Offence' Chris Kanyon[/B] [I]Never much cared for Hugh Morrus and Saturn is one half of one of the greatest more unknown teams ever in the Eliminators.[/I] WCW Television Championship: [B]'The Man of 1000 Holds' Dean Malenko (c)[/B] v Disco Inferno [I]Another Horsemen win![/I] [B]Raven[/B] v 'Wipeout' Evan Karagias [I]Quote the Raven...Nevermore![/I] [B]Sting[/B] v Buff 'The Stuff' Bagwell [I]Buff over Sting? Never happen! Though on a side note I did meet Marcus in person at a wrestling match here in Aiken and he's a pretty nice guy and so are the Steiners.[/I] Masahiro Chono and the Great Muta v [B]Goldberg and the Giant[/B] [I]Goldberg and the Giant? The two headed monster team?[/I] nWo Tag Team Championship: [B]'K-Dawg' Konnan and Curt Hennig (c)[/B] v 'The British Bulldog' Davey Boy Smith and Jim 'The Anvil' Neidhart [I]The Champs figure out how to do it again![/I] Non Title Match: [B]'Lionheart' Chris Jericho (c)[/B] v 'Macho Man' Randy Savage [I]Lionheart Chris Jericho...the NEW Legend Killer![/I]

First great show Second, I love how you write your promos and hope I can only do half as well with the my diary Hiroyoshi Tenzan v [B]Kurt Angle[/B] Los Vengadores ('The Chairman of WCW' La Parka and Lizmark Jr) v [B]West Hollywood Blonds (Lodi and Lenny Lane)[/B] WCW Cruiserweight Championship: Eddie Guerrero (c) v [B]Rey Mysterio Jr[/B] Harlem Heat v [B]'Nature Boy' Ric Flair and WCW United States Champion 'Rabid Wolverine' Chris Benoit[/B] [B]Kidman and 'The Laughing Man' Hugh Morrus [/B]v Perry Saturn and 'The Innovator of Offence' Chris Kanyon WCW Television Championship: [B]'The Man of 1000 Holds' Dean Malenko (c)[/B] v Disco Inferno [B]Raven[/B] v 'Wipeout' Evan Karagias [B]Sting[/B] v Buff 'The Stuff' Bagwell Masahiro Chono and the Great Muta v [B]Goldberg and the Giant[/B] nWo Tag Team Championship: 'K-Dawg' Konnan and Curt Hennig (c) v 'The [B]British Bulldog' Davey Boy Smith and Jim 'The Anvil' Neidhart[/B] Non Title Match: [B]'Lionheart' Chris Jericho (c)[/B] v 'Macho Man' Randy Savage

Archived