The Young Lions System What is It?

I'm sure someone will be able to give you a more comprehensive breakdown than I can. But from what I understand, its basically the expectation within the industry - and especially from fans - that young workers have to pay their dues. So the fans and possibly other workers are not going to like it if you try to push a young worker by giving him wins over established workers. They have to get their time in by losing to the older workers and getting wins over other young workers. They are not going to buy into an Orton-esque "legend-killer" push.

Basically it as said above, where the fans will not like a match, therefore lowering the rating, if an unproven youngster, who has, for example, had only four matches, gets a win over an established veteran. The feeling is that they need to pay their dues, i.e. losing matches, until they are respected enough to get those big wins. Not sure what the respect required is, though I think it is C- or something close to that.

Yep pretty much been explained already. It's based on the system used in the major Japanese promotions where rookies will either wrestle each other in openers or job to more senior wrestlers until they have paid their dues. Young lion's can get wins against each other, but not against established wrestlers otherwise the fans won't buy it.

[QUOTE=BurningHamster;430866]Yep pretty much been explained already. It's based on the system used in the major Japanese promotions where rookies will either wrestle each other in openers or job to more senior wrestlers until they have paid their dues. Young lion's can get wins against each other, but not against established wrestlers otherwise the fans won't buy it.[/QUOTE] On top of all that, in reality, a young lion's in-ring repertoire is severely limited until such time as they have paid their dues or established themselves. This was most apparent (to me, at least) watching joshi matches. You'll notice the young lions (lionesses?) derive most of their offense from the most basic of moves (dropkicks and the like). TEW doesn't simulate this but it's part and parcel of the whole young lions (actually, the proper term for it is 'young boy' but translated, it's changed due to cultural differences, I think) system.

It is Young Boy, but when I mentioned it to Adam, we decided that the best term to use was Young Lion, since it was the most popular. The term Young Lion is generally only used for New Japan's Young Lions. In the western world, it has just become the term used for the young boys. They way it works in Japan, is that a prospective wrestler will train in a dojo to learn the basics for the first 6 months (or more, depending), then learn everything else actively in the ring, participating in opening matches. When there are a lot of Young Lions, they will only work sporadic shows, but in recent years with New Japan staying very strict with their admissions test unlike other companies, they will generally only have 1-2 Young Lions at a time, and thus they work nearly every show. At the moment, the only true Young Lions in New Japan are Mitsuhide Hirasawa and Kazuchika Okada. Okada, having been wrestling in Toryumon Mexico for the past 3 years or so, will most likely bypass the lengthy opening match stay.

Archived