Ukraine and USA qualify for world cup

IWWROCKS

I hope, honestly, we go out and lose big time. I hate to see our team to do so well, as I hate how many Americans figure we're good at it. Then they go and watch our league, and puke at how ****ty the action is, and figuring since were already such a great soccer nation (pause for added effect), that soccer is just boring like that all the time. Maybe if everyone knew we sucked, NBC(or ABC, or ESPN, whoever it is that allows this stuff to sneak its way in) would boot MLS off of our tv and replace it with something less discusting, like a daytime soap oprea, or Jerry Springer. I am a Norwich supporter, because New England Revolution makes me want to put pencils into my my toenails. I'm a Dean Ashton fan, because although I believe he may have potential, Dempsy is/or was as ****e as a player I have ever seen up against a good club in Real Madrid when he played for the MLS Select team a few weeks ago. Sorry if I ranted, just figured I'd throw in my two cents.

Dude, I don't know what your circle is like in Boston. But they must really be an odd bunch of birds to think that we Americans have traditionally been good at soccer. My general experience has been that folks find soccer viscerally boring and can't even really explain why they do. Watching European soccer regularly as you do I can understand why you find MLS substandard. But come on dude. It's the first league in America that's been taken this seriously for this long. The American soccer base has had to be built from the ground up. I'm 33 and I don't ever expect American club soccer to be up to European standards in my lifetime. But MLS is priming the pump so that the wellspring can come in generations yet to be fathomed. For that reason alone it deserves all the exposure it can get.

You know what, your probably right. I guess I just get upset when I hear the American National Team mentioned. No real reason why, I guess it's just because I feel we get it easy, considering all we have to do to qualify is beat Mexico... and then just show up for the rest of the games. I think the best way for American soccer to get better though, and although it may seem extreme, is to get rid of all foriegn players from the league for awhile. Or at least put a 3 man cap on it per team. That way, we'll learn from some vet's, but not give up on the concept of American soccer. What do you think?

I don't know about limiting the international players either. I kinda like seeing guys like Christian Gomez and Facundo Erpen alongside American college products like Josh Gros and Alecko Eskandarian. I say just give the college system time to get up to the challenge. Whether it wil be in our lifetimes or not, I think the U.S. can become a very creditable soccer nation. The prevailing attitudes we've seen in our lifetimes will need a great many years to deconstruct. If it takes having MLS as a melting pot to show American audiences what soccer can be then I have no issue with that. As for what you were saying about the U.S. National Team, we're kinda of a flavor of the month type thing. The recent consistency we've been showing in making World Cups is still only about a generation old. That means there's still a bit of novelty in us being as competitive as we've become. I doubt any reasonable mind expects us to win the Cup anytime soon. But we have kinda gone from total footwipe to plucky underdog. You know as well as I how much people love an underdog.

Thats why I am a team Japan fan. I meen, yeah, Underdogs are good... just not when blown out of proportion. I have one major problem with the foriegn players we have though... they really are not very good. Sure, they are great in our league, but considering George Best and Pele have played here before in other leagues... well... These guys just plain suck in comparison! Sure, its a bit ... unfair, to put them up against two of the greatest players of all time, even when past their primes, it just does not seem like we are bringing in the right players. Heck, how many of the foriegn guys have played in Europe? And I do meen play, not used as a reserve player, or an unused/unwanted sub. Of course, I do admit... I have not payed attention as much as I honestly should. I think its just because when I watch today, I see how Americanized it has become (.. not sure if this is an American idea or not, but Commercials during play? What the heck!?(notice: I only see games through PPV or the Soccer channels we have, all of which only have commericals during Halftime, if at all)) and its a bit annoying. I don't hate Americana or anything, but I'd like to see tradition, or at least a sport without commercials everyonce and awhile heh.

[QUOTE=Unregistered]Thats why I am a team Japan fan. I meen, yeah, Underdogs are good... just not when blown out of proportion. I have one major problem with the foriegn players we have though... they really are not very good. Sure, they are great in our league, but considering George Best and Pele have played here before in other leagues... well... These guys just plain suck in comparison! Sure, its a bit ... unfair, to put them up against two of the greatest players of all time, even when past their primes, it just does not seem like we are bringing in the right players. Heck, how many of the foriegn guys have played in Europe? And I do meen play, not used as a reserve player, or an unused/unwanted sub. Of course, I do admit... I have not payed attention as much as I honestly should. I think its just because when I watch today, I see how Americanized it has become (.. not sure if this is an American idea or not, but Commercials during play? What the heck!?(notice: I only see games through PPV or the Soccer channels we have, all of which only have commericals during Halftime, if at all)) and its a bit annoying. I don't hate Americana or anything, but I'd like to see tradition, or at least a sport without commercials everyonce and awhile heh.[/QUOTE] I don't blame you. I'm not a big fan of the Side By Side thing ESPN does with the fans either. And I'm with ya on the tradition. The Cappy is short for Capricorn so if you know your astrology you know I'm all about tradition. :) But at the same time, you gotta deal with the world on its own terms. I think the lack of respect for soccer broadcasting tradition is part and parcel of the game being treated like disfigured freak of sports for so many years. That and the fact that your major sports that get on TV often here have natural breaks in play via timeouts and shifts in quarter or inning. Breaks that can accomadate American broadcast practices more naturally than soccer. That side, I think for the most part the broadcasters do well. They've chosen their color commentators well as Eric Wynalda, John Harkes and Julie Foudy combine insight and personality in bringing the player's perspective to the game. Foudy in particular just rocks the house when she's calling the US National's Team. Her blend of knowledge and humor is just a lot of fun to listen to. Can't judge anybody who's in the other regional markets. But the folks I've been able to see while in the D.C. United market have really added to the telecasts.

Archived