How do storylines work?

The manual is pretty vague as far as writing storylines go. I haven't tried them yet, so I was hoping that someone could give me an overview? On the Storylines screen, there is a list of storylines to choose from... some of them have different parts, and within those parts are plotlines. When do the plotlines take effect? Why are some storylines split up into parts? Confused...

Storylines are pretty straight forward. As in the real world of wrestling they're designed to build momentum and generate fan interest in an upcoming match. To set a storyline in your game, go to the storyline page and simply pick one. Without the benefit of having the game to hand, I can't think of any storylines in the default data, but let's just say there's a basic feud whereby a heel attacks a face and explains himself, the face then swears revenge and gets it when the finally meet in a match. So, this is the storyline we want to run. We select it in the list of storylines and are asked to select our workers. Using the drop-down menu, we decide which worker we want to play the heel role in this storyline, and the same for the face. We're ready to go. At our next show, we need to kick off the storyline, which won't have any momentum yet as it obviously hasn't begun. In the example given above, the first plot point will likely be the heel attacking the face. o So, we go to our storylines screen, select this storyline and see that the first plot-point is highlighted. Beneath this, we'll see some text, something along the lines of: "This must be an Attack angle with the following roles: Wrestler X (Attacker), Wrestler Y (victim)." So then, in booking our show, we run an attack angles with those wrestlers in those roles. Using the workers the opposite way round will mean that the plot hasn't moved on, but doing it right will moves us on in the storyline." Eventually, we'll get to the end of our storyline with (hopefully!) momentum building right to the end. Once the storyline has ended, you can either choose to evolve it, which is keeping it going, or ending it an moving on to new ones. Hope that helps.

Thanks CJS, that helps a lot :) Some storylines have a "S2" next to them... not sure what that means? And it's hard to tell how long storylines go for, when some stories have "Part 1" listed next t them, and some don't. I wasn't sure if the storylines with the "parts" listed next to hem were angles carried over to the next show, while the one without them were one nighters. How can I tell the one-night angles from the multiple show ones?

[QUOTE=ggazoo;452272]Thanks CJS, that helps a lot :) Some storylines have a "S2" next to them... not sure what that means? And it's hard to tell how long storylines go for, when some stories have "Part 1" listed next t them, and some don't. I wasn't sure if the storylines with the "parts" listed next to hem were angles carried over to the next show, while the one without them were one nighters. How can I tell the one-night angles from the multiple show ones?[/QUOTE] Okay. Let's break this down. It appears what you have there as stories written either in the full or my modified version of the Panix Bracket System or PBS. Here's how that works. Here's a notation on a storyline I did recently. G7 A House Divided Part 1 (8W 19A 12M) The G7 means that it a group or stable oriented storyline and there are seven people taking part in the story. An S in the header would mean it was a Singles storyline and a T would be for Tag stories. Then you have the name of the storyline as usual. The parentethical is a guideline of how long to run the story and how much material there is in it. In this case, the 8W means the storyline is written to run ideally for 8 weeks. W for weeks. The 19A tells you there are 19 Angles and the 12M tells you there are 12 matches. The S1's and P1's and such next to the plot points on the outline screen are desgined to suggest you do such and such angle on this number TV show or that number PPV in your event cycle. Of course all such notations are mere suggestions and can be put aside. They are there merely to provide extra guidance. In this example, I had to split the storyline into two parts because I'd hit the limit for plot points which is right about 30. In some other cases, you'll see storylines split into parts so as to create a story arch rather than a single story. Like in DOTT where D Boon has recreated the Von Erich/Freebird War for example. Also depending on which pack you used, you may also see some of my creations with the G7-style header missing. Chemistry Issues or The Disappointing Hero for example. The reason I use this modified PBS is because while Panix designed those headers to be informative and helpful, I found them to be the opposite. When I use PBS formatted storylines those casting notes make stuff harder rather than easier for me to find. So I cut them out. Everything else though works just the same.

[QUOTE=cappyboy;452296]In this example, I had to split the storyline into two parts because I'd hit the limit for plot points which is right about 30. [/QUOTE] Thanks, that helps too. Now, its a "plot point" a show? Is TEW set up to have one plot point per show?

You can have as many plot points per show as is appropriate. You might have a Heel making an open challenge, a Babyface answering it, and then the match. Three plot points all on one show. Alternatively, that might be three seperate shows. It's up to your personal preference and how much other stuff is going on. And of course, whether or not you have a TV show.

[QUOTE=ggazoo;452749]Sorry, I don't have it in front of me right now... when choosing a storyline, will TEW tell me how many plot points there are per show? Where?[/QUOTE] It's up to you how many plot points you use in each show, so the game won't tell you. Personally, I would use the unchained storylines (they have no plot points, you make it up as you go along) as it's easier to get the hang of in the short term.

[QUOTE=ggazoo;452735]Thanks, that helps too. Now, its a "plot point" a show? Is TEW set up to have one plot point per show?[/QUOTE] No. Suppose your storyline is Jack and Jill and this is your outline. Jack and Jill go up hill Jack falls down Jack breaks crown Jill tumbles after In this example you'd have four segments. One for each plot point. Considering the source material, you'd most likely want them all on the same show and fairly close together. But with a more spread out promotion, no one would fault you for spreading them out. So essentially consider plot point to mean angle in game terms.

Ok... so I have a storyline written... but how do I actually incorporate it into my card? There is a Storyline Overview button, but I can't select it? The storyline I have is a Love Triangle... when I search for Love Triangle storylines when booking an angle on a show, it won't show up?

From the show booking screen (the one where you book matches and angles), click the Storylines button. That screen will tell you all you need to know about what the storyline requires you to do next. For example, I've just started the default storyline 'Vengeance Will Be Mine', with Erik Strong seeking vengeance on Antonio. The first plot point says 'Must be an [B]Attack [/B]angle with the following roles: [B]Antonio (Attacker)[/B].' Yours will say something similar (unless the first point is a match, in which case keep reading), but might have more specified roles. So, exit the Storylines screen and click Add Angle. Remember we need an Attack angle, so click the top drop-down box of the three above the list, and filter for 'Confrontation' (since if your data is any good, all 'Attack' angles will be under the Confrontation heading). That'll show all the Confrontation angles, so we need to find one where there's at least one role, for an Attacker. An alternative way to do this would be to click Filter, and search directly for an 'Attack' angle since we know that's what we need. While we're here, filter for angles with two participants (since presumably Antonio isn't going to attack thin air ¬_¬). Whichever way you do it, you should be able to find 'Beatdown Backstage (1v1)' in the angles list. It's worth noting that ANY 'Attack' angle where there is AT LEAST one 'Attacker' role will work just as well. If you had two Attacker roles, and Antonio attacked his victim with help from someone else, that'd work fine for the storyline. But let's keep it simple for now. Select 'Beatdown Backstage (1vs1), and add it to the card. Our attacker in this instance will be Antonio, because that's what the storyline requires. The Victim (the only other role in this angle) can be absolutely anyone from the game's point of view, but in the context of the storyline, it'd be best if it was a babyface, and it'd be good if it wasn't Erik Strong. So we'll choose The Masked Patriot, since this role is rated on Overness and Patriot has a fair amount of it. Name the angle and set the length, then save it. That's the first plot point done, easy as that. :) When you run the show, the storyline's heat will be calculated using the segment's rating. Since it's the first plot point, the storyline's heat will probably be the same as the segment's rating, but as you get further into the storyline, good segments will raise the heat, bad ones will lower it. All you have to do to satisfy a plot point is to book an angle that 'ticks' all the boxes. It will tell you the type of angle required (Attack, in our case), the roles required (only one in our case, an Attacker), and the worker who must play that role (Antonio). You just have to make sure you book an angle where all of these conditions are met. The most common mistake made when booking is to overlook the type of angle needed, or the roles required. If it asks for an Attack angle, and you book a Trap angle (an ambush, for example), even though Antonio is still the Attacker, the angle won't progress the storyline. Similarly, if it asks for a Hype angle where both participants are Subjects (which immediately tells you it'll be a hype video or match announcement), and you book an angle where one is a Catalyst an one is a Subject (which would be a promo), that won't work either. It's not too hard once you get used to it, but it takes a while to work out what all the terms mean. Adding a match in a storyline is just as easy. The Vengeance Will Be Mine storyline isn't a great example though, because we have to wait until plot point 6 to get our first match, and even then it only includes Erik Strong (which means his opponent can be anyone on the roster, but as before within the context of the storyline it'd be best if it was a heel and wasn't Antonio). So we'll start a Best of Seven Series between Mean Jean Cattley and our user character Jack Avatar. Before we do though, an opportunity to bring up something you asked earlier regarding how many plot points should be on a single show. There are six plot points before the first match in this storyline: Antonio injures someone, Erik Strong swears revenge, Antonio cuts a promo saying he's not worried, Antonio runs away from Strong, there's a hype video, THEN we have the first match, which doesn't even involve Antonio. Now, while it would be possible to include all of that in one show, it'd mean that most of the show would feature Antonio and Strong, and the storyline would fly by at a horrific pace. Personal preference is obviously a factor, but I'd probably only use the first two points at most on one show. The second show would probably feature the Antonio promo, and maybe the failed revenge attempt. Third show would have the hype video and the match. It's up to you though, of course. There are no penalties for going 'too fast', other than the fact that you run out of storyline sooner so don't get to benefit from the heat for as long. Right, tangent over, where were we? Oh yeah, Avatar/Cattley Best of Seven. Just like with angles, the Storylines screen will tell you what you need to do; in this case 'Must be a [B]1vs1[/B] match with the following sides; [B]Mean Jean Cattley (Side 1)[/B], [B]Jack Avatar (Side 2)[/B]; [B]Winner, Side 1[/B].' I find it helps to simplify this into common English. In this case, "Mean Jean Cattley defeats Jack Avatar in a singles match". From there, it's hard to go wrong. Click 'Add Match', then click the 'Singles' filter button icon thingymabob. That'll list all the 1vs1 matches in the database, but since this is the first of seven matches we'd better keep it a simple 1 vs 1 match, so select that. While selecting the participants, remember the Sides. Cattley is Side 1, Jack is Side 2. As this is a singles match, it doesn't matter which order you select them in, as long as Side 1 wins, which is Cattley (no matter which competitor you actually select first, Cattley is Side 1 because the plot point says so). If it was a tag match, or other multi-man match, you'd obviously have to make sure that all of Side 1 was on the same team, as was all of Side 2, etc. But that's a bit obvious. ¬_¬ Right, so we've booked that, and, er... that's it. Make sure you tell the road agent to make sure Cattley wins, and add any other notes you want, and bang. A plot point has been fulfilled. :) As with Angles, the rating this gets will affect (or create, if it's the first one) the storyline heat. That's pretty much all there is to it. :) Edit: Bloody hell, I don't half type a lot when I get going ¬_¬

Wow, thanks, that was great. :) One question: [QUOTE=D-Lyrium;453796]Remember we need an Attack angle, so click the top drop-down box of the three above the list, and filter for 'Confrontation' (since if your data is any good, all 'Attack' angles will be under the Confrontation heading). [/QUOTE] I have a love triangle storyline. There are no "Love triangle" categories, but there is a Romance one, with Love Triangles in the list. Thing is, I wrote the my own love triangle storyline. Do I still seletc romance, or should I go to "Write Angle"?

[QUOTE=ggazoo;453972]Wow, thanks, that was great. :) One question: I have a love triangle storyline. There are no "Love triangle" categories, but there is a Romance one, with Love Triangles in the list. Thing is, I wrote the my own love triangle storyline. Do I still seletc romance, or should I go to "Write Angle"?[/QUOTE] If you wrote your own love triangle angle then find it in the list of angles and select it. The filters are only really there to help you to find angles (for example if you have a large number), if you already know what the angle is named then you can find it manually.

[QUOTE=LFC_chris;453981]If you wrote your own love triangle angle then find it in the list of angles and select it. The filters are only really there to help you to find angles (for example if you have a large number), if you already know what the angle is named then you can find it manually.[/QUOTE] That's where my confusing was stemming from... the storyline I wrote didn't show up in the list. I had to write my own angle in the show to make it work.

Plot Points and Angles are different things, I think you're getting them confused. A Plot Point is a basic set of instructions that tells you what you need to do to progress the storyline. When you write a storyline, you're not writing the individual angles, you're writing a set of instructions. Then you use an angle that satisfies those instructions. If you add a plot point called 'Valentine Asks Out Kristen', and set it to Love Triangle in the dropdown box, you're not writing a Love Triangle angle, you're writing an instruction that tells the player to [b]use[/b] a Love Triangle angle for this plot point when they run the storyline in the game. Angles and matches are like building blocks in Lego, and the Storyline is the set of instructions that tells you how to build stuff.

Archived