Interested in answering some questions about text game diary writing for an article?

jksander

Hey, all :) I'm working on a column for a class I'm in and I'm focusing on video games and the correlation to intelligence. I'd like to add an emphasis on text-based gaming and how the text-based nature of the games could lead to improvements in inteligence for those who play. Would those of you who have either written or read "diaries" be able to answer a few questions for me, just as you see it? 1. As a diary reader, has following other gamers' experiences helped you a) as a gamer; b) as a writer or reader to develop communication skills? 2. Does diary writing help with creative skills (example: character development, roleplaying skills etc)? Has your writing ability improved through playing text based games and keeping a diary on your results? 3. In what ways do you think text based gaming does or does not contribute to improved writing / communications skills? Thanks for your help! You can either post responses here or feel free to email me at [email]jonathansanders@justice.com[/email] ... especially if you have any other comments you'd like to make. Jonathan.

Well, !. None of the above. It is for entertainment purposes that I read and write the diaries. 2. I really don't know if it helps the writing skills, unless of course someone critiques and tries to correct the grammar, but that is done mostly "tongue in cheek". I really don't care about the grammar as long as the writer is able to convey his "message" as to what went on during the "action" clearly to the readers. As a member at Maddenmania.com I also write a journal of my games that I play in a dynasty with NCAA2006, which is not a text-based game. My writing may be different than others in a way because I was once a sports writer for my high school newsletter many moons ago. 3. I really don't know if playing the games improve any skills but the writing of the diary/journal does allow the mind to wander and let the individual's creative juices to flow from thoughts and ideas into words and communicating those thoughts and gaming experiences with others.

[B]1. As a diary reader, has following other gamers' experiences helped you a) as a gamer; b) as a writer or reader to develop communication skills?[/B] [U]Answer:[/U] Slightly both... but mainly, enjoyment in the main thing you're after. For b), it's moreso as a writer, seeing formats etc., it's hardly something you'd build a career out of though. [B]2. Does diary writing help with creative skills (example: character development, roleplaying skills etc)? Has your writing ability improved through playing text based games and keeping a diary on your results?[/B] [U]Answer:[/U] Slight roleplaying improvement as far as first-person is concerned. My writing skills haven't particularly improved as such... more of simply storing ideas for future use. [B]3. In what ways do you think text based gaming does or does not contribute to improved writing / communications skills?[/B] [U]Answer:[/U] In building ideas to take something from a game engine and turn it into a unique creative piece of writing.

1. As a diary reader, has following other gamers' experiences helped you a) as a gamer; b) as a writer or reader to develop communication skills? If B means to get tips on how to write more realisticly, then yes to B. But mainly Entertainment. 2. Does diary writing help with creative skills (example: character development, roleplaying skills etc)? Has your writing ability improved through playing text based games and keeping a diary on your results? Very much so. But being in E-Feds help with that too. But, Diaries really do help out. 3. In what ways do you think text based gaming does or does not contribute to improved writing / communications skills? It encourages the imagination to take over from a generic engine. (Not saying WreSpi is generic of course)

Archived