Some Simple Advice

lordprimeau25

I have been on several message boards on several sites but nowhere have I found a more friendly, dedicated, and insightful group of fans such as I have come across on The GDS boards. Anyhow I have come across a problem. I bought a new computer and it has Vista. TEW '07 doesn't work that great and it doesn't work at all for my saved game from my old computer that I was 4 years deep into. I can run TEW '07 by doing a dual boot with XP. I really wanted to finish that game but it appears I will have to go through quite a hassle to make that happen. So my question/s is/are this: 1. Should I take the steps necessary to keep the game I was 4 years into being it was such a time investment. 2. Or should I just purchase TEW '08 which runs flawlessly on machine (I guess I am asking if the game is that much of an upgrade)? 3. I have never done a game with the CornellVerse... but have become a bit curious about it. If I buy '08, as there are not many mods yet released should I do a CornellVerse game or the 91, 92 mod. 4. Or I could do a CornellVerse game on '07. What are some cool things about the CornellVerse? What would guys do in my situation? Spend the money or one of the other options? Thanks alot!

TEW 2008 is better than 2007 in every possible way. The only thing even slightly iffy about the new game is that there are a lot of fans who prefer the 2007 default database to the 2008 version. Just go ahead and buy it the second that you have the money. EDIT: Do a Cornellverse game. It's better than any mod, and I say that as a modder.

Thanks for the advice... Is it hard to pick up a sense of realism using the CornellVerse? I love growing attached to workers like we do in real life and then pushing them way higher than the probably ever should be, but I'm afraid I won't get that sense of realism in CornellVerse though I do here it does work best with the game itself...

[QUOTE=lordprimeau25;466933]Thanks for the advice... Is it hard to pick up a sense of realism using the CornellVerse? I love growing attached to workers like we do in real life and then pushing them way higher than the probably ever should be, but I'm afraid I won't get that sense of realism in CornellVerse though I do here it does work best with the game itself...[/QUOTE] Picking any Cornellverse promotion isn't that different from picking an indy promotion out of a real-life mod. In either case you don't really know what the guys on your roster are all about, but in the Cornellverse case it's easy to see how everyone has their place. In some strange way the Supreme Wrestling Federation roster is more real to me than WWE has been for a couple of years. And another bonus is that it's much harder to get worked up over some guy having "the wrong stats" when the guy in question doesn't actually exist.

I really think everyone should atleast play one CornellVerse game. It is the way the game was ment to be played imo. In real world stuff everyone knows the wwe is the biggest *maybe outside of new japan*. Everyone knows the wwe is going to dominate. In the c-verse it is much more caculated i think. ALot of the new workers have a reason to be there. There is a fammily history for some and it is really easy to get into the strong's or the decolts history.

I am just now starting to use the CVerse (even though I owned 05,07, and now 08). I may have to create a promotion. I really like APW but not enough room for angles, but I like the fact that they seem to be isolated so no one bothers them. And I am finding it more enjoyable than real world data for a few reasons: I don't follow wrestling as much as I used to, so trying to get a good starting point is difficult. You can't be accused of not running things the way they actually happened if you are using a fairly recent mod set in 08. And while I like to use what happens in reality to base my games off of (when I used mods), I find the older mods difficult to use (like 91/92) simply because I find myself pushing all the people who turned out to be stars rather than making new ones. I would even argue that you hold more of an attachment to CVerse characters because you are able to mold them how you want to (despite the history they already have). Not sure if that makes sense. And I agree with the common complaint of the guy having the wrong stats. Always makes me giggle.

[QUOTE=alden;466992]I really think everyone should atleast play one CornellVerse game. It is the way the game was ment to be played imo. In real world stuff everyone knows the wwe is the biggest *maybe outside of new japan*. Everyone knows the wwe is going to dominate. In the c-verse it is much more caculated i think. ALot of the new workers have a reason to be there. There is a fammily history for some and it is really easy to get into the strong's or the decolts history.[/QUOTE] I agree with you Alden and I do get the sense that it is only right to play a c-verse game. However I disagree about WWE dominating the mods. I am using the 2007 mod from last August and have watched WWE fall from Global to National and be over taken by ROH as the top US promotion. In fact, Taker and HBK are now main-eventing ROH! My promotion JAPW is the #4 promotion in the US and I started as the #7. Not bad- rising up one spot per year. The reason I play the game is to try and take a small promotion up to compete and try to defeat the big dogs, that's just what is fun to me. I get the sense there is alot of parity in the c-verse and I couldn't do something like that... is that the case?

[QUOTE=lordprimeau25;468428]I agree with you Alden and I do get the sense that it is only right to play a c-verse game. However I disagree about WWE dominating the mods. I am using the 2007 mod from last August and have watched WWE fall from Global to National and be over taken by ROH as the top US promotion. In fact, Taker and HBK are now main-eventing ROH! My promotion JAPW is the #4 promotion in the US and I started as the #7. Not bad- rising up one spot per year. The reason I play the game is to try and take a small promotion up to compete and try to defeat the big dogs, that's just what is fun to me. I get the sense there is alot of parity in the c-verse and I couldn't do something like that... is that the case?[/QUOTE] Taking a shot in the dark here, but I'm guessing the mod had Undertaker at about a B in brawling and ROH was Cult when the game started? EDIT: Removed a paragraph on account of unintended dickishness.

When I first bought TEW I couldn't get into the Cornellverse at all. At that time there were no pictures and it was hard to get into the characters. When TEW05 came out, most of the characters had pictures and a lot more depth to them. I played my first game on 05 as NOTBPW and I've been hooked ever since. The key is to find the qualities in the characters you like in real life wrestlers. For example, I believe the reason Jim Force is so popular is because secretly everyone is an Ultimate Warrior fan, they just don't like the guy behind the paint. Spend some time reading the biographies, thats pretty much all I did with the demo after making sure it would work on my computer. Its like a book, its really easy to get immersed.

Archived