APW: The Blunder Down Under

This is my first diary. I didn't think about starting it until I was able to reach regional with APW, which happened on August 2009, my second APW Championship Carnival event. To fill you all in, I spent the first eight months booking at the Tiniest venue, then moved up to a Tiny venue, where I still am. Took an extra year, roughly, to move up to Regional. And now, I'll start with a recap of APW Championship Carnival 2009:

APW Championship 2009 In front of a crowd of 520 at historic Fuster Hall, the Australian Pro Wrestling league officially reached Regional size following a standout show that saw Swoop McCarthy become the APW's first Unified Champion, after putting his Commonwealth Title on the line against Harry Simonson's Australian title in a winner-take-all match. Following his victory, the Grand Avatar appeared and ordered both men to put their differences aside and face the APW Tag champs, Dingo Devine and the Brisbane Devil (a/k/a "Divine Devil"). Simonson defeated Divine Devil with a flash pin less than 10 minutes in, becoming the APW Tag Champs with McCarthy. But the night was not over. Suddenly, the long-inactive Melboune Blondes appeared and demanded a title shot for the tag belts, "Right here, tonight!" McCarthy accepted over Simonson's objections and the match was on. The Blondes dominates the 30-minute Iron Man challenge and McCarthy walked out of the arena with three minutes remaining, leaving Simonson all alone in the ring against the Blondes, who pinned him to regain their Tag Titles and become the first three-time Tag champs in APW history. The crowd was outraged and jubilant and talking nonstop about the memorable show long after Fuster Hall was empty that night, as the crowd shuffled out to the neighboring bars. "Australian Pro Wrestling has taken a distinctive step forward tonight, and my faith in the Grand Avatar has been strengthened considerably," APW owner James J. MacMinister said in a statement released the following Monday. "We feel we're now at a size where the rest of Australia and New Zealand are finally catching on to something I've known all along - the heart of the professional wrestling scene can only be found right here, in APW." APW is currently without a TV or PPV deal, but MacMinister told press sources that he's confident it is now only a matter of time before those ducks start lining up, as well.

APW Coming Home 2009 Only 29 were in attendance as Australian Pro Wrestling made its New Zealand debut with APW Coming Home 2009. The card was markedly devoid of the top APW talent as the company made its first foray into this new, virgin territory. The Laird Lounge saw a card that included the following matches: 1. The Melbourne Blonds defeated Divine Devil (Dingo Divine and The Brisbane Devil) in a ladder match to retain the APW Tag Titles. 2. Alex Macquarie defeated Cole Taylor (making his APW debut). 3. Rick Stantz defeated the Brisbane Devil in a 1-on-1 match. 4. Maurice Jackson defeated Trehawke Phillips 1-on-1, giving Big Mo' his first APW singles win. 5. In a hometown move, the New Zealand Pit Bull defeated Switchblade, Whirlwind Lee Wilkes and Trehawke Phillips in a Fatal Four-Way match, for the hometown pop. 6. Blake Belushi defeated Dingo Devine in a casket match. 7. Big Mac (Nate MacKenzie) defeated New Zealand Put Bull in a Cage Classic match, setting Big Mac up as the number one contender for a title shot at next month's APW Super Saturday 2009. [B]NOTE FROM THE DESK OF JAMES J. MACMINISTER[/B] We are thrilled that New Zealand received its first taste of APW action this past weekend. While some of our top stars were notably absent, we can promise our Kiwi friends we'll return soon with even more action-packed cards. In the meantime, we are thrilled to announce that APW Super Saturday 2009 will take place at historic Fuster Hall, where so much APW history has been made in recent months. See you there! J-Mac

[B]APW Title Picture:[/B] APW Tag Champions: The Melbourne Blonds (Blake Belushi and Rick Stantz) APW Australian Title: Swoop McCarthy APW Commonwealth Title: Swoop McCarthy [B]APW Tag Teams (current):[/B] The Melbourne Blonds (Belushi and Stantz) Divine Devil (Dingo Divine and The Brisbane Devil) Headrushers (Lloyd Banks and Milton Hittlespitz) Mo' Taxes (Maurice Jackson and Angus McMiller) Pure Destruction (Mauler and Smasher) [B]APW Singles Roster (current):[/B] Alyx Macquarie Boo Smithson Cole Taylor Fuzzy Freeman Harry Simonson Lanny Williams Motty Koruda Nathan MacKenzie New Zealand Pit Bull Spiffy Stan Standish Switchblade Swoop McCarthy Trehawke Phillips Whirlwind Lee Wilkes [B]APW Announcers:[/B] Mitch Y. Bryson Sean Quartermainne [B]APW Road Agent:[/B] Jansen Belvedere [B]APW Referee:[/B] Virgil Mann [B]APW Managers:[/B] Stephanie Drucker [B]APW Booker:[/B] Grand Avatar [B]APW Owner:[/B] James J. MacMinister

Three matches announced for APW Super Saturday 2009 [B]FROM THE DESK OF THE GRAND AVATAR:[/B] When APW action returns next month to historic Fuster Hall, fans can look forward to the following matches. 1. Swoop McCarthy and two mystery opponents will face off for not one, but BOTH APW titles. 2. The Melbourne Blonds will face off against newcomer tag team, Mo' Taxes, making their tag-team debut. 3. Trehawke Phillips will face Whirlwind Lee Wilkes. More matches are sure to be added to this stunning card as time draws closer. Don't miss it!

[QUOTE=CraigInTwinCities;482092][B]APW Road Agent:[/B] Jansen Belvedere[/QUOTE]Interesting choice, given the bad blood he has with Belushi and Stantz over the botched spike piledriver that ended his in-ring career. I'm curious to see if these three can peacefully co-exist. Over in my APW game, Stantz is proving to be a quick tempered sort, who keeps getting into altercations with the fans.

If by DDP you mean Sean Quartermainne, check again... He's my color commentary guy. I am pretty close to having my roster where I want it, except for signing new talent as they appear, and maybe letting a guy go and sit on his butt for six months or so if they get too demanding on their contract expectations. Stay tuned... a couple guys are really walking that border right now... :) Yes, I'm looking at you, Lanny and NZPB! Also, I hope I get even a basic TV deal soon, as rolling with only one event per month makes it hard to advance guys. Several of my created tag-teams are still sitting at F+ after 9-18 months. One guy is still "knocking ring-rust off" and is near the end of a nine-month contract. I need to get these guys more active if I want to develop my young guns...

APW Super Saturday 2009 [B]Mitch Y. Bryson[/B] Hello and welcome again everybody to Australian Professional Wrestling. We're here live at historic Fuster Hall in Newcastle for one of the biggest shows APW puts on all year. I'm speaking, of course, about Super Saturday 2009! [B]Sean Quartermainne[/B] I don't see what's so big about it. I could have put together a much better card. [B]Mitch Y. Bryson[/B] Careful there, SQ, we all know that the man who authorizes your paychecks, the Grand Avatar, is watching? [B]Sean Quartermainne[/B] Screw him, I say. *Fireworks go off. Trehawke hits the ring.* [B]Mitch Y. Bryson[/B] ...And we are underway! ================= [B]Trehawke vs. Whirlwind - Two out of three falls[/B] Trehawke Phillips defeated Whirlwind Lee Wilkes in 7:53 by two straight falls, with the final fall happening by submission with a Sleeper Hold. RATING: D [B]Mitch Y. Bryson[/B] Not a bad match for these two workers! [B]Sean Quartermainne[/B] Or, in other words, it sucked. ================= [B]Melbourne Blondes vs. Mo' Taxes - 15-minute time limit match[/B] The Melbourne Blondes drew with Mo' Taxes in 15:00 when the time limit expired. RATING: D- [B]Mitch Y. Bryson[/B] The APW Tag Division is getting more competitive than ever, SQ! [B]Sean Quartermainne[/B] A team that's been together for over three years can't finish off a team that's been together maybe two matches? Please. ================= [B]Swoop vs. Boo vs. Lanny - 30-minute time limit match[/B] Swoop McCarthy drew with Boo Smithson and Lanny Williams in 30:00 when the time limit expired. RATING: D [B]Mitch Y. Bryson[/B] That was 30 minutes of heart-pounding, nonstop action from three of the hardest workers in the APW! [B]Sean Quartermainne[/B] ...that I'll never get back! Two time limit finishes in a row? I remember when people used to win... ================= [B]Big Mac attacks Swoop after the match[/B] RATING: E [B]Mitch Y. Bryson[/B] It looks like Big Mac is steamed he wasn't involved here! He won a number one contenders match last month, and he wants the title shot he earned! [B]Sean Quartermainne[/B] Now this is my kind of guy! Looks like Swoop's hurt. Finally. ================= [B]Switchblade vs. Cole Taylor vs. Fuzzy Freeman vs. Motty Koruda[/B] Switchblade defeated Cole Taylor, Fuzzy Freeman and Motty Kuroda in 6:59 when Switchblade defeated Fuzzy Freeman by submission. RATING: E- [B]Mitch Y. Bryson[/B] It looks like Switchblade is finally making his presence known again in APW after having his tag team partner famously fired several months ago. [B]Sean Quartermainne[/B] Who? [B]Mitch Y. Bryson[/B] Switchblade! [B]Sean Quartermainne[/B] Who? ================= [B]Alyx vs. NZPB vs. Triple S - Stephanie's Panties on a Pole Match![/B] Alyx Macquarie defeated New Zealand Pit Bull and Spiffy Stan Standish in a 1 vs 1 vs 1 Ladder match in 14:37 when Alyx Macquarie retrieved Stephanie Drucker's panties. During the match we also had Harry Simonson accidentally hit Pit Bull. RATING: E+ [B]Mitch Y. Bryson[/B] Alyx Mcquarie is on a hot streak lately, SQ! And he just one tonight's number one contender's match to face Swoop McCarthy for a title shot next month. [B]Sean Quartermainne[/B] I can't believe Steph's boyfriend didn't show up to object to this match... ================= [B]Swoop accepts Big Mac's challenge[/B] [B]Swoop:[/B] You want your title shot, Nate? You got it! Right here, tonight, in this very ring! All you needed to do was ask, but you jumped me instead? Tonight, you'll learn what it means to be... [B]Audience:[/B] SWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPEEEDDDDDD AWAYYYYYYYYYYYY! [B]Mitch Y. Bryson[/B] I can't believe Swoop is going to appear in a second match yet tonight! He's risking life and health to take on all comers! This is the third show in the last four months where he's done this! [B]Sean Quartermainne[/B] Who the hell told this guy he was good? [B]Mitch Y. Bryson[/B] I'd guess about 466 screaming fans just did, SQ! ================= [B]Nate vs. Swoop[/B] Swoop McCarthy defeated Nathan McKenzie in 22:47 by pinfall with a fast roll up. Swoop McCarthy makes defence number 2 of his APW Australian title. Swoop McCarthy makes defence number 3 of his APW Commonwealth title. GRADE: D [B]Mitch Y. Bryson[/B] Swoop is still dominating APW as the company's first unified champion! Can new number one contender Alyx Macquarie defeat him at next month's APW's Longest Night 2009? [B]Sean Quartermainne[/B] Who cares? ================= OVERALL GRADE: D-

Announced matches for APW Longest Night 2009! 1. Alyx Macquarie vs. Swoop McCarthy for the APW Aussie Title 2. Harry Simonson vs. Swoop McCarthy for the APW Commonwealth Title 3. Switchblade vs. Trehawke Phillips 4. Mo' Taxes w/ Mauler vs. Headrushers w/ Smasher More matches are expected to be added by the night of the show.

APW Transaction Wire Re-signed Boo Smithson to a nine-month PPA deal at $1,000 PA. Signed Debonair David Peterson to a nine-month PPA deal at $1,500 PA. He will be a heel midcarder. This is DDP's second run in APW. Announced plans to let the contract of Triple S expire without negotiations for renewal. Re-signed Harry Smithson to a nine-month PPA deal at $2,000 PA. After complex and frustrating negotiations, decided to allow the contract of Trehawke Phillips expire without renewal.

APW Lands FIRST TV DEAL!!! [B]FROM THE DESK OF JAMES J. MACMINISTER[/B] Australian Professional Wrestling is proud to announce that APW has landed its first-ever TV contract. And long, protracted negotiations with The Bloke Channel, the APW and the Bloke Channel are proud to announce the impending debut of APW Monday Meltdown! The one-hour show will run in the late night shift and is guaranteed an initial two-season run. The show will not be taped, but will be broadcast LIVE, guaranteeing an unpredictable night of television every week for APW fans. Exact financial terms of the deal will not be disclosed. Finally, APW fans will get to see our superstars on their home TV screens, which we hope will boost their popularity and the attendance at our live events. The new show will debut in a few weeks, once the new season begins. Don't miss APW's Longest Night 2009, coming to historic Fuster Hall in just two week's time, and don't forget to tune into the Bloke Channel on late night Mondays to catch all your APW TV action! See you in the arena! J-Mac

Out of character for a moment... ...boy does that first TV deal screw APW over! 100% of ad revenue to the Bloke Channel, 100% of production costs to APW. How's that gonna help APW financially, other than boosting exposure? Although that IS nice. Time to start attempting to sign folks to written contracts, or at least monthly pay instead of PPA... to control costs.

APW's Longest Night 2009! [B]Mitch Y. Bryson[/B] Hello and welcome again everybody to APW's Longest Night 2009! We have loads of action coming your way, including two title defenses by Swoop McCarthy, in what is becoming a monthly tradition here on APW... [B]Sean Quartermainne[/B] ...that I hope will soon end. Swoop's a glorified jobber and the only reason he holds any gold around his waist has to do with certain favors for a certain... [B]Mitch Y. Bryson[/B] Might not want to finish that thought, SQ! But there's more! We have just confirmed that tonight, in this very ring, we will see no less than 15 of APW's finest take to the ring for a battle royale like no other! The winner of tonight's battle royale is guaranteed a title shot at OzFest, two months from now! [B]Sean Quartermainne[/B] Whatever. Looks like someone's coming out, finally. [B]Switchblade vs. Trehawke Phillips in a Tuxedo Match![/B] Switchblade defeated Trehawke Phillips in 8:04 when Trehawke Phillips was stripped. GRADE: E [B]Alyx Macquarie vs. Swoop McCarthy in an Aussie Rules match[/B] Swoop McCarthy defeated Alyx Macquarie in 7:45 by pinfall with a fast roll up. During the match we also had Harry Simonson distract Macquarie. Swoop McCarthy makes defence number 3 of his APW Australian title. GRADE: D [B]Harry Simonson is attacked by Swoop McCarthy[/B] Harry Simonson is checking on Macquarie in the ring. Swoop McCarthy runs in and attacks, beating Simonson down into the mat. This angle completes Sweep's heel turn and a gimmick change to the Degenerate gimmick. GRADE: E [B]Mo' Taxes w/ Mauler vs. Headrushers w/ Smasher in a 3 on 3 Hardcore match[/B] Angus McMiller, Maurice Jackson and Mauler defeated Lloyd Banks, Milton Hittlespitz and Smasher in 12:31 when Maurice Jackson defeated Lloyd Banks by pinfall after a fast count from Virgil Mann. GRADE: E+ [B]Swoop McCarthy vs. Harry Simonson in a modern Cage match - APW Commonwealth Title match[/B] Swoop McCarthy defeated Harry Simonson in a 1 vs 1 Cage Modern match in 24:51 when Swoop McCarthy escaped the cage. Swoop McCarthy makes defence number 4 of his APW Commonwealth title. GRADE: C- [B]15-Man Battle Royal - Mayhem Rules[/B] Featuring: Blake Belushi, Boo Smithson, Cole Taylor, DDP, Dingo Devine, Fuzzy Freeman, Lanny Williams, Lloyd Banks, Motty Koruda, Nathan MacKenzie, New Zealand Pit Bull, Rick Stantz, Triple S, Brisbane Devil, Whirlwind Lee Wilkes Debonair David Peterson won a battle royal in 43:52. The final four competitors also included Nathan McKenzie, Dingo Devine and Fuzzy Freeman, with Nathan McKenzie being the final elimination. GRADE: D [B]Mitch Y. Bryson[/B] And so it's a huge surprise as DDP wins a guaranteed title shot at OzFest, two months from now, on his first match back in APW! It just goes to show you, anything can happen here in APW... [B]Sean Quartermainne[/B] I'm speechless. DDP's my guy. But we still have an idiot running the book. OVERALL GRADE D

First-ever broadcast of APW Monday Meltdown ATTENDANCE: 973 at Fuster Hall [B]Whirlwind Lee Wilkes vs. Nate MacKenzie[/B] Nathan McKenzie defeated Whirlwind Lee Wilkes in 7:51 by submission with a Backbreaker Hold. GRADE: E [B]Swoop hypes match tonight with NZPB[/B] Swoop McCarthy had an interview hyping his upcoming singles match with New Zealand Pit Bull. GRADE: D [B]Lanny Williams vs. Harry Simonson[/B] Harry Simonson defeated Lanny Williams in 9:34 when Harry Simonson was the first to touch all four corners following botched interference by Cole Taylor. GRADE: D [B]Swoop McCarthy vs. New Zealand Pit Bull[/B] Swoop McCarthy defeated New Zealand Pit Bull in 23:06 by count out. Swoop McCarthy makes defence number 4 of his APW Australian title. GRADE: D+ [B]Maurice Jackson on Swoop[/B] Maurice Jackson has an interview in which he taunts Swoop McCarthy. GRADE: E+ OVERALL: D Rating on The Bloke Channel: 0.00 (huh?)

Transactions Re-signed Motty Koruda to an exclusive PPA for $800 PA - 9 months. (No one wants to sign a written contract with a regional promotion, it appears.) Re-signed Lloyd Banks to an exclusive 9-month PPA for $150 PA. Re-signed referee Virgil Mann to an exclusive 9-month PPA for $450 PA. Re-signed Milton Hittlespitz to an exclusive 9-month PPA for $450 PA. Ended a first-round negotiation session with Swoop McCarthy without reaching an agreement! AHHHH!!

So are we supposed to just give superstars whatever they demand? Is there no room in this game for playing a bit of negotiating hardball? Only the wrestlers can? I ask because I don't think my promotion's ready to pay Swoop $3,000 per appearance, especially on TV. Yet he won't sign a written contract (no one else will either) and yet I'll take a HUGE hit if I cut him to bring his ego down to size, because TV just debuted and he's wearing both belts. Granted, I could solve that at the PPV before his contract expires, but....

Archived