Holy Jesuite, the Premier League Silly Season

tristram

:eek: I don't know how many of you follow the Premier League, but holy smokes, how interesting was that transfer deadline period? Here I am, a Man Citeh fan, minding my own business hearing all sorts of fantastic stories about how we'll selling half our squad off because our Thai emperor boss wasn't satisfied with a vastly improved season and thus promptly sacked a very solid manager... low and behold, look what happens? He goes into hiding, has his assets frozen, MC get's sold to the persian gulf oil boys.... and instead of selling half our team off we buy Robinho off Real Madrid right from under Chelski's noses and then spur a transfer fee race on Dimitar Berbatov of Tottenham Hotspurs just to infurirate and incense Man United! :eek: It'd be great if they continue just to piss off the United boys, I think that's every City fan's goal for the year, beating United in the derby and doing something to incite them. One down, let's see if we can get the other. So, from a position of desperation, woe was me... we now have in the attacking side of things ST: Jo ST: Robinho LW: Petrov AM: Elano RW: Wright-Phillips And at the back alongside Dunne and Richards they have Kompany too. And then on top of that, almost I would guess to rile Man United up more (I love these boys from Dubai) there's rumours abound that the Dubai boys (estimated worth 600-800 billion mind you) are going to throw 270 million pounds at United to get Christiano Ronaldo. Glory glory to City and our shiek friends.

[QUOTE=tristram;490209]we buy Robinho off Real Madrid right from under Chelski's noses[/quote] I think lots of people were/are surprised about that transfer, definitely a good one in your favour though. I'd rather have Berbatov though. :cool: [QUOTE=tristram;490209]and then spur a transfer fee race on Dimitar Berbatov of Tottenham Hotspurs just to infurirate and incense Man United! :eek:[/quote] You bid more money but look where he went, to the better team. ;) [QUOTE=tristram;490209]It'd be great if they continue just to piss off the United boys, I think that's every City fan's goal for the year, beating United in the derby and doing something to incite them. One down, let's see if we can get the other.[/quote] There's more chance of the Sun orbiting around the Earth. :p [QUOTE=tristram;490209]And then on top of that, almost I would guess to rile Man United up more (I love these boys from Dubai) there's rumours abound that the Dubai boys (estimated worth 600-800 billion mind you) are going to throw 270 million pounds at United to get Christiano Ronaldo. Glory glory to City and our shiek friends.[/QUOTE] The Times reported that it was going to be a bid of £130 million. Glory glory to us, the transfer deadline is over and Ronaldo is going nowhere! :D

That's ok. We don't really want him anyway. He's been to United so the only thing he knows how to do is karate kick spectators and such :p TBH, I prefer watching United and Arsenal go around. I find their styles often very exuberant and they often show better first touches and techniques than their opponents and thus tend to play more short ball than the somewhat direct style of the EPL. But I think teams like us have been more direct frankly because we couldn't afford to find these players with such good techniques so... maybe just maybe City will start to rise. (Please?)

[QUOTE=tristram;490229]That's ok. We don't really want him anyway.[/quote] You'd be screaming from the rooftops if you'd got him. :p [QUOTE=tristram;490229]He's been to United so the only thing he knows how to do is karate kick spectators and such :p[/quote] Eric Cantona is a solid gold legend. :cool: [QUOTE=tristram;490229]TBH, I prefer watching United and Arsenal go around. I find their styles often very exuberant and they often show better first touches and techniques than their opponents and thus tend to play more short ball than the somewhat direct style of the EPL. But I think teams like us have been more direct frankly because we couldn't afford to find these players with such good techniques so... maybe just maybe City will start to rise. (Please?)[/QUOTE] If i'm being honest you haven't got a bad team, although I still think Wright-Philips is over rated, and with you gaining Kompany and Robinho things are certainly looking brighter (not bright, just brightER ;)) for you. Obviously everyone is now looking at Robinho but if I had the choice of a City player to come to Utd i'd snap up Micah Richards without hesitation. The one problem with bringing in players from abroad is that you don't know if they can adapt to English football. Man Utd have made this mistake on more than once occasion (Veron - useless, Forlan - useless in England, incredible everywhere else etc.) and it's gone horribly wrong no matter how good they player is, at least with Berbatov we know that he can play well in England. I think Chelsea have been very lucky with Deco, he's adapted very well and looks like he's been playing here for years.

In the end Pompey will again upset you Manchester lads somewhere along the way to get to Europe (once) again! :D Back to the topic. I don't believe City will mount a serious challenge for the title this season, but next season the new team has had time to know each other and the battle for the bragging rights of Manchester is totally up for grabs. Well City has the bragging rights already as they won both league derbys last season. Wright-Phillips and Robinho are a serious threat to any team and they will cause some upsets already this season. Of course one must not forget Petrov, Elano, Jo, Fernandez, Ireland, Richards, Dunne or Kompany. Proper team. I believe Wright-Phillips is a great player, if used properly. He needs to be in the starting 11 often to get to the rhytm. He has great speed and knows how to use it. I expect City finish somewhere along the positions 4-8 this season. The season looks great as nothing is for granted this season.

[QUOTE=The Bus;490236]In the end Pompey will again upset you Manchester lads somewhere along the way to get to Europe (once) again! :D[/quote] Damn Portsmouth.... there are three teams that always seem to be able to screw us over: Portsmouth, Middlesborough and West Ham. I always dread the games we play against those. Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea, bring 'em on I say, but West Ham.... [I]"Is it over yet?"[/I] [I]*looks through fingers*[/I] :p [QUOTE=The Bus;490236]Back to the topic. I don't believe City will mount a serious challenge for the title this season, but next season the new team has had time to know each other and the battle for the bragging rights of Manchester is totally up for grabs. Well City has the bragging rights already as they won both league derbys last season.[/quote] We let them win, we knew we didn't need the results so we our players just had a restful kick-about during those games. :cool: [QUOTE=The Bus;490236]Wright-Phillips and Robinho are a serious threat to any team and they will cause some upsets already this season. Of course one must not forget Petrov, Elano, Jo, Fernandez, Ireland, Richards, Dunne or Kompany. Proper team. I believe Wright-Phillips is a great player, if used properly. He needs to be in the starting 11 often to get to the rhytm. He has great speed and knows how to use it.[/quote] Wright-Philips has got great speed, average skill (in my opinon) but zero strength because he's only about 5' 5"! If he doesn't get past the opposing player he gets knocked over, it's like playing against a teenager! :D

This city stuff disgusts me, the owners are ignorant and delusional. There's a difference between ambition and pig-headedness, and announcing they want torres, fabregas and ronaldo was the latter. Robinho will leave within a year. He probably got told "Manchester want you" and flew in without further questions. Got to the training ground, told the gaffer he'd aged well and asked why they played in their away kit every week.

Don't see an issue with it, shape. Football rumours are part and parcel of everyday life really, I mean Real Madrid, AC Milan, Chelski are usually very open about their dreams. Cristiano Ronaldo is one who is being regularly spoken about. I think the difference is now City are doing it. They do though have to be careful to draw the line and this is where Mark Hughes has to be careful. Some of the core component of their squad who were already there (excluding even Petrov and Elano) are good players, I speak mostly of Richards and Dunne. They also bring a spirit to the club, much like I place the importance on Ryan Giggs for United and TBH I was surprised to see Robbie Keane leave Spurs because I felt the same with him. I don't know, a bit of a presence as if the club eblem has significance to them. A team of purchased superstars IMO will find it hard to go 38 games against a genuine team who knows their spirit, they have a kindred relationship to spark a movement together etc. Pompey... bloody tough team. They too are a team I dread seeing City slated to play. They just know how to get the job done and do it very efficiently. Did Tottenham do much in the transfer window aside from Vedran Corluka? There was a lot of talk about who they were bringing in this season, but to do that they've also lost Berbatov and Keane who I thought were essential to their team (although to be fair Berbatov was causing a lot of issues). The Russian dude I know they got, but was it a fair trade losing Keane and Berbatov for him?

[QUOTE=tristram;490247]The Russian dude I know they got, but was it a fair trade losing Keane and Berbatov for him?[/QUOTE] At a net gain of 36 million I'd say so :D And yeah I know there's rumours all the time but stuff like, top four this season, win the league next year, CL the year after is just...annoying, lol. And surely it must get on the players' nerves xD

[QUOTE=The Shape;490241]Robinho will leave within a year. He probably got told "Manchester want you" and flew in without further questions. Got to the training ground, told the gaffer he'd aged well and asked why they played in their away kit every week.[/QUOTE] lol :D [QUOTE=tristram;490247]They do though have to be careful to draw the line and this is where Mark Hughes has to be careful. Some of the core component of their squad who were already there (excluding even Petrov and Elano) are good players, I speak mostly of Richards and Dunne. They also bring a spirit to the club, much like I place the importance on Ryan Giggs for United and TBH I was surprised to see Robbie Keane leave Spurs because I felt the same with him. I don't know, a bit of a presence as if the club eblem has significance to them. A team of purchased superstars IMO will find it hard to go 38 games against a genuine team who knows their spirit, they have a kindred relationship to spark a movement together etc.[/quote] Ryan Giggs eh, what a legend. Club spirit (for Utd) could also be said for Paul Scholes, Gary Neville and the greatly missed Roy Keane. (I was shocked to the very core of my being when Keano left) [QUOTE=tristram;490247]Did Tottenham do much in the transfer window aside from Vedran Corluka? There was a lot of talk about who they were bringing in this season, but to do that they've also lost Berbatov and Keane who I thought were essential to their team (although to be fair Berbatov was causing a lot of issues). The Russian dude I know they got, but was it a fair trade losing Keane and Berbatov for him?[/QUOTE] All the Premiership transfers: [url]http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/7492070.stm[/url]

Hmm, British record transfer fee for a guy that's had what, one decent season in Spain? Not sure about that one myself. Berbey is a better bet, but has a dodgy temperament saying that most players seem to these days. Im out in Australia so woke up to discover that the mighty reds had sold Steve Finnan :eek: Rafa, what have you done!

[QUOTE=SuperOwens;490268]Not sure about that one myself. Berbey is a better bet, but has a dodgy temperament saying that most players seem to these days.[/quote] The coaching staff and Fergie will soon drill that temperament out of him. Alan Smith and Wayne Rooney both mellowed a LOT, Smithy in particular, when they came to Utd.

[QUOTE=Undertaker666;490447]The coaching staff and Fergie will soon drill that temperament out of him. Alan Smith and Wayne Rooney both mellowed a LOT, Smithy in particular, when they came to Utd.[/QUOTE] Yeah, but they were hot heads, and Rooney still is to a certain extent. I dont mind that, least it shows passion and a drive to win. Berbatov is the slouch his shoulders i didn't get the ball and im going to go home for a sulk type, you know a twat :D

[QUOTE=SuperOwens;490648]Yeah, but they were hot heads, and Rooney still is to a certain extent. I dont mind that, least it shows passion and a drive to win. [B]Berbatov is the slouch his shoulders i didn't get the ball and im going to go home for a sulk type, you know a twat[/B] :D[/QUOTE] EG: Anelka :p aka Le Sulk On Topic: Did anybody else see Robinho's interview where he said that he'd accepted Chelsea's offer and had to be corrected by a journo. :D

But why in the bloody hell did City sell Corluka? Corluka is a great player and they don't seem to need the money. Oh the FA Cup semifinal when Muntari sunk the penalty past Rio... :) Oh how about that West Ham - ManU game last year? For all you ManU fools; I've got two words for ya! Matthew fricking Upson! On that great day he was a real monster! Damn I hate ManU... :D

[QUOTE=W3LSHY;490503]Smithy, unfortunatly. His tenacity is what made me love him on the pitch, never give up spirit, and since he has 'mellowed out' I don't like him as much, maybe that or him going to scum. He's still my idol though :D.[/QUOTE] [QUOTE=SuperOwens;490648]Yeah, but they were hot heads, and Rooney still is to a certain extent. I dont mind that, least it shows passion and a drive to win.[/QUOTE] Smith and Rooney both still show passion and tenacity, but it was their attitude and how they presented themselves on the pitch that needed an adjustment. You could guarantee each game that both of them would be up in the ref's face mouthing off, that's what Fergie and co needed them to get rid of and they succeeded for the most part. Occasionally Rooney still loses his cool every now and then, but nowhere near as much as he used to. [QUOTE=ColtCabana;490671]On Topic: Did anybody else see Robinho's interview where he said that he'd accepted Chelsea's offer and had to be corrected by a journo. :D[/QUOTE] lol, wish i'd seen that. :D [QUOTE=The Bus;490674]Oh the FA Cup semifinal when Muntari sunk the penalty past Rio... :) Oh how about that West Ham - ManU game last year? For all you ManU fools; I've got two words for ya! Matthew fricking Upson! On that great day he was a real monster! Damn I hate ManU... :D[/QUOTE] Not as much as we hate West Ham. ;)

Archived