Do you use pyramid or pick and chose?

When I first start a game I build up all the people I like and all the people who could have a future and pad their records but when they are decently popular I let them fight each other which will give me big name established stars and also respected high level fighters just below the champs and then I bring in more rookies and do the smae thing to keep the rotation going.

I've done all kinds of methods to selecting my fights, but I finally decided on reputation/experience/form approach. I try to match equal reputation, but I allow for a one level difference (like mediocre vs decent) if I can't find an equal. I also try to make sure that both fighters are on a level playing field in terms of experience and form. Rookies vs rookies, veterans vs veterans, and winning/losing streaks vs winning losing streaks and so on. Other than that, I just let the fighters go at it and let them decide who has the skills to be the champ. It just doesn't make much sense to me to get a fighter back on the path to winning by giving him some poor, useless sap. He has to prove himself to me; I'm not going to go out of my way to make it easier for him to win. I kind of feel like that's cheating. It also sucks when that poor, useless sap beats one of your best fighters in a fluke win. :P

I rank by streak. So the number one guy in a weight class is the guy with the most consecutive wins. Then I select fights based on the excitement level and rankings combined. Title fights only happen between the Champ and the number one ranked contender, though... so if it's only rated as High, or something, I might choose to have it main event a television special instead of being on PPV.

Guest thatmizfit
I do both. For the PPV's I'll look to see which matches are considered High. Then I select one and from there I'll apply the title and then pick and choose to see if any other fight is better because each fight means more with a title on the line. If it's not a title fight I'll simply select from the list of averages or lows to put my losing fighters against each other so that the winner of that fight can get squashed by a fighter that I want to progress. Sometimes someone that I try to feed to my other fighters will keep upsetting my fighters and from then on earn my respect enough to from then on hand pick their opponents lol.

[QUOTE=Nephrinn;491366]I've done all kinds of methods to selecting my fights, but I finally decided on reputation/experience/form approach. I try to match equal reputation, but I allow for a one level difference (like mediocre vs decent) if I can't find an equal. I also try to make sure that both fighters are on a level playing field in terms of experience and form. Rookies vs rookies, veterans vs veterans, and winning/losing streaks vs winning losing streaks and so on. Other than that, I just let the fighters go at it and let them decide who has the skills to be the champ. It just doesn't make much sense to me to get a fighter back on the path to winning by giving him some poor, useless sap. He has to prove himself to me; I'm not going to go out of my way to make it easier for him to win. I kind of feel like that's cheating. It also sucks when that poor, useless sap beats one of your best fighters in a fluke win. :P[/QUOTE] True, but some of the best fighters sometimes need an easy fight to get them back in the right frame of mind.

[QUOTE=Gabriel;491378]I rank by streak. So the number one guy in a weight class is the guy with the most consecutive wins. Then I select fights based on the excitement level and rankings combined. Title fights only happen between the Champ and the number one ranked contender, though... so if it's only rated as High, or something, I might choose to have it main event a television special instead of being on PPV.[/QUOTE] I do the same

Archived