Onyx Diamond Wrestling

[b]The Man Who Dreamed Of Faeryland[/b] He stood among a crowd at Dromahair; His heart hung all upon a silken dress, And he had known at last some tenderness, Before earth took him to her stony care; But when a man poured fish into a pile, It seemed they raised their silver little heads, And sang what gold morning or evening sheds Upon a woven world-forgotten isle Where people love beside the ravelled seas; That Time can never mar a lover's vows Under that woven changeless roof of boughs; The singing shook him out of his new ease. He wandered by the sands of Lissadell; His mind ran all on money cares and fears, And he had known at last some prudent years Before they heaped his grave under the hill; But while he passed before a plashy place, A lug-worm with its grey and muddy mouth Sang that somewhere to north or west or south There dwelt a gay, exulting, gentle race Under the golden or the silver skies; That if a dancer stayed his hungry foot It seemed the sun and moon were in the fruit: And at that singing he was no more wise. He mused beside the well of Scanavin, He mused upon his mockers: without fail His sudden vengeance were a country tale, When earthy night had drunk his body in; But one small knot-grass growing by the pool Sang where---unnecessary cruel voice--- Old silence bids its chosen race rejoice, Whatever ravelled waters rise and fall Or stormy silver fret the gold of day, And midnight there enfold them like a fleece And lover there by lover be at peace. The tale drove his fine angry mood away. He slept under the hill of Lugnagall, And might have known at last unhaunted sleep Under the cold and vapour-turbaned steep, Now that the earth had taken man and all; Did not the worms that spired about his bones Proclaim with that unwearied, reedy cry That God has laid His fingers upon the sky, That from those fingers glittering summer runs Upon the dancer by the dreamless wave. Why should those lovers that no lovers miss Dream, until God burn Nature with a kiss? The man has found no comfort in the grave. [i]-William Butler Yeats[/i] "Your head is full of dreams, Jonathan my boy. You know what happens to those who idle away with nothing but flights of fancy don't you?" Henry Gray was a solid man. Large and earthy, he smiled at everyone he met and filled out his custom-made suits so well that merely seeing him was enough to put you at ease. His manner, breezy and blunt all at once, was equally enjoyable to all those that knew him. All those, save his son Jonathan, that is. "Dad, just because *you* don't care about beauty or anything else that's wonderful in the world doesn't mean that everyone is like that. Have you ever really watched the stars at night? Seen the dying sun as it catches the golden hair of a pretty girl? You don't appreciate anything but money!" Genetics had played a wonderful trick on father and son, for both were obstinate and hard-set in their ways, each of them eyeing the other now with spirited stubborness. "Really, son, you wound me. I certainly appreciate the finer things in life. Petrovna's caviar the other night, for example, was simply exquisite! You need to stop this mooning about and make something of yourself. Why, I'll even help you if you want it." Jonathan sighed and shook his head. That was one of the things he hated about his father. The old man always found a way to wiggle his way into things and after he'd helped someone, he spent the next twelve parties bragging about how he'd been the one to make the man. Still, he needed his father's assistance in this, much as he hated to admit it. "I want to start a wrestling business, something that balances great matches and exciting characters. Something that'll get people to love wrestling as much as I do. We don't have any federations here in the Great Lakes, so there's a 'void in the market just waiting to be filled'. " The last words were spat with particular venom, for the young man knew well the elder's love of business speak. "Certainly, son! I'm glad to see you taking an interest in being an entrepreneur. I'll write you a check for $250,000. That should be enough startup capital to last you at least a year. If you need more, you can always come to me, but I'll have to charge you interest then, as it'll be a loan at that point, rather than a present from a noble father to his beloved son." Henry's cheerful tone grated on Jonathan's nerves, but there was nothing to be done but accept it. "Thanks, Dad" muttered Jonathan through clenched teeth. "Not a problem, son", Henry glibly replied with a beaming smile.

Rich father? New Promotion? Don't stop this, Jestor. I'm really excited to see what you do with this. New Promotions opening are by far the most interesting to me because you can see the struggle to get workers and the horrible opening show. But then in the end, You can read how you turned nothing into something in less then the time being(How ever long this is). Keep it going.

[QUOTE=Dwight Mighton]Rich father? New Promotion? Don't stop this, Jestor. I'm really excited to see what you do with this. New Promotions opening are by far the most interesting to me because you can see the struggle to get workers and the horrible opening show. But then in the end, You can read how you turned nothing into something in less then the time being(How ever long this is). Keep it going.[/QUOTE] Thanks. :) And I will keep it going. The problem I had with the ECA is I cornered myself into trying to do a type of association where all the characters were stuck in one time period (i.e. medieval) which is too far beyond my limited ability to accurately portray a wrestling federation at this point (I think I was like 8 or 9 the last time I sat and watched any wrestling) This time I'm not restricting myself that way so I'm much freer with characters, et. al. in the federation, so hopefully my match cards and whatnot will be better. :D

'"Her voice is full of money," he said suddenly. That was it. I'd never understood before. It was full of money--that was the inexhaustible charm that rose and fell in it, the jingle of it, the cymbals' song of it. . . . high in a white palace the king's daughter, the golden girl. .' [i]-F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby[/i] "So how much is your old man giving you?" "250 grand." "Nice! Lend us some of that **** will you?" The feline Cheshire grin on Kevyn's face lit up the room and perfectly matched itself to the slender, lithe body of the scarecrow figure with the beautiful, rakish black hair that few females, young, old, and everything in between, could resist. "Not a chance. I doubt I'll survive the year anyway. Besides, you'd just spend it on booze and girls", dryly replied Jonathan. The other shrugged, sprawling out on the sofa and propping his hand with an open palm, the other busy holding a lit Camel cigarette now and again sucked on by full, sensual lips. "I was just kidding, man. So how you going to go about this ****? Going to get the top wrestlers, yah?" Jonathan snorted. "Not likely. We'll have to pick up the cheapest guys with some talent we can find. The only question is whether to go with one monthly longer show or weekly short shows of half an hour each." "It's better to burn out than fade away" quoted Kevyn with a mocking, indulgent smile. "Bah! I hate Kurt Cobain! The most overrated musician in the history of the world. Nobody would give a damn about him if he haven't offed himself." "True, true" rejoined Kevyn after another drag, hazy drag smoke encircling his enchanted hair upon the exhale, "but just tell those pretty little pigs that you love Kurt and his music... and they'll squeal and suck your **** six times a day." Disgust creased the early-developing lines in Jonathan's face, "You're a right bastard, you know that? I don't know why women swoon over you so much.. ****ing pretty boy." An ash and stubbing out of the cigarette immediately answered the slightly younger's venom before the wild-haired Kevyn sat up and clapped his friend on the shoulder, the smile dimmed into seriousness, "Look, Jon, I can't help that she fell for me. I didn't want her to. You're my best friend and the only one who understands just how ****ed up I really am. Everybody else sees this cool cat who has his own band and screws the hot bitches every night of the week. I can't philosophize with anyone else the way I can with you, and we're more alike than you know. You just don't see it because of your jealousy." "Then why the hell do you hang out with me then if I'm so jealous of you?" Jonathan's cheeks coloured scarlet at the accuracy of the accusation. Kevyn grinned, dropped his hand, and leaned back on the couch, "Because I know it's not really me you're pissed off at. You're just mad at your father, that stupid bitch who ditched you, and the world, because you don't feel like you've gotten what's coming to you. So I just take your **** with a smile and stay your friend." "All right, Kevyn. We'll go with weekly shows of half an hour." The reedy man laughed quietly as his thin fingers trailed over the fluffy orange pillow on the end of the couch, "You're crazy man, but that's why I like you." Jonathan only grunted.

A single piece of paper lay on the cherry wood table in the Grays' parlour. [b]Onyx Diamond Wrestling Opening Roster[/b] [b]Main Eventers[/b]: Lord Sammy (H) (aka Sammy the Shark) Leroy (H) Kentucky Bill (F) Masked Cougar (H) Erik Strong (F) [b]Upper Midcarders[/b]: Surfin' Ryan Turner (F) (aka Rockin' Ryan Turner) The Tic (F) Carl Sanders (H) Flashy Lemming (H) (aka Flemmy Lemming) [b]Midcarders[/b]: Trauma (H) Nomad (H) [b]Lower Midcarders[/b]: Frankie Dee (H) Terry Smith (Announcer) Rob Perkins (Referee) Must find a Road Agent before [b]The First Diamond[/b] on Friday, Dec. 2. [b]Confirmed Matches:[/b] Masked Cougar vs. The Tic Erik Strong vs. Flashy Lemming Cal Sanders vs. Nomad Note to self: Promote matches to public and get predictions to build hype

Push Erik Strong and Frankie Dee. Those two and Mikey James are my top three Independant wrestlers. So push them.. For me.. *Slowly starts to lift shirt up* Wait.. That doesn't work. Would A prediction help? [B]Masked Cougar[/B] vs. The Tic - I hate the Tic. Die Tic, Die! [B]Erik Strong[/B] vs. Flashy Lemming - Read the first paragraph. <_< Cal Sanders vs. [B]Nomad[/B] - Toss up here. I went and did A wild guess.

Here's a few ideas from. Push Erik Strong like Dwight said... and Lord Sammy. The Shark is hands down the best character in the Cornellverse. And my predictions. [b]Masked Cougar[/b] vs. The Tic [b]Erik Strong[/b] vs. Flashy Lemming Cal Sanders vs. [b]Nomad[/b] Best of luck. You got a reader in me.

[QUOTE=Midnightnick]Here's a few ideas from. Push Erik Strong like Dwight said... and Lord Sammy. The Shark is hands down the best character in the Cornellverse. And my predictions. [b]Masked Cougar[/b] vs. The Tic [b]Erik Strong[/b] vs. Flashy Lemming Cal Sanders vs. [b]Nomad[/b] Best of luck. You got a reader in me.[/QUOTE] Thanks. :) Interesting predictions you guys have here. It'll be cool to see how they pan out. :D

• 2 weeks later...
"And diamonds," continued John eagerly. "The Schnlitzer-Murphys had diamonds as big as walnuts--" "That's nothing." Percy had leaned forward and dropped his voice to a low whisper. "That's nothing at all. My father has a diamond bigger than the Ritz-Carlton Hotel." [i]-F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Diamond As Big As The Ritz[/i] The First Diamond was set to begin. Backstage, sweat dappled Jonathan's face as he took a drink of mineral water. "I'm not so sure about this..." he murmured. "Be cool man, be cool. **** will work out fine." Kevyn's laid back grin comforted the nervous owner. And then it started. [b]The First Diamond[/b] Masked Cougar stalked out of the back and grabbed the mic, announcing, "I am the best there is in this federation! ROAR!" "No, you're not! I'm far better than you are! Prepare to get bit by the Tic!" shouted the blue-masked wrestler as he raced out opposite Cougar. "Ha! I'll squash you like the bug you are!" "Let's fight it out then!" "You're on, Bugman!" Segment Rating: D (Masked Cougar: +Acting, The Tic: +Performance) Next there came a match between Cal Sanders and Nomad that wrestling fans like to call a squash match. Four minutes went by, leading to a countout in a match dominated by Sanders. Inexplicably, despite several positive factors, including that the duo seemed to click, the contest was considered a bust. [b]Winner: Cal Sanders[/b] Segment Rating: F: (Good Chemistry, Nomad: +Technical Skills, + Performance Then a video played, hyping up the coming match between The Tic and Masked Cougar. Unfortunately, this was obviously taped before hand, and the amateur mistake on Jonathan's part was booed loudly by the sixteen people in attendance. Segment Rating: F "They hate it! They hate us!" despaired the younger Gray. "No man, they don't hate this. You've got a young crew and you made a mistake. So what? You're still good to go." Kevyn's optimism calmed his coeval a little. "And later tonight, you'll see the first match of the Eight-Man Tournament for the Onyx Diamond Wrestling's main title between Erik Strong and Flashy Lemming!" declared announcer Terry Smith. But no one cared. Segment Rating: F Because of the hype faux pas, when The Tick and Masked Cougar wrestled each other next, the audience didn't care about the match and instead thought about how good the popcorn at the concession stand out in the hall smelled. One of them even got up and went to go get some, figuring it was bound to be better than the rest of the show. It ended in 6 and a half minutes, with Masked Cougar winning by pinfall. [b]Winner: Masked Cougar[/b] Segment Rating: F "Hahahahahaha! I have squashed you like the bug you are, you miserable worm of a Tic!" Despite the fact that Masked Cougar's acting skills were supposed to have improved, it didn't play out here, and the audience was already sick of the whole forced Cougar-Tic story line. Five more people got up and went for popcorn. The first guy never came back, as he instead stood out in the hallway munching popcorn and flirting with the cute, blonde security girl. Segment Rating: F By this time, the mood of the crowd was so bad that midway through the seven minute match between Erik Strong and Flashy Lemming, *everyone* left to go buy popcorn. Strong won by pin, making him the first winner in a tournament that no one cared about. [b]Winner: Erik Strong[/b] Segment Rating: F (Flashy Lemming: +Performance) [b]Show Rating: F[/b] "They hate us!" Jonathan wailed. "Eh, it still should improve your popularity, so cheer up" replied Kevyn as he ruffled the younger boy's hair before adding, "Of course, that's because no one heard of us before. Now they've heard of us and know that we suck. So more people should show up next month to see how if we really do suck that bad. Then you can put on a show that knocks their **** off." "I hope you're right... I don't want to have to take a loan from Dad." "**** it, man. Let's go get laid." "That girl from the security outfit Dad hired?" "You're damn right, but I go first." "Okay."

That was quite frankly, entertaining as hell. Well written style, as I read that as if it was written like a novel. Also like how you took the characters acting skills and mic skills into account when you wrote the little skits. Only one complaint! You need to seperate the little 'asides' that occur between matches better. Other then that, I enjoyed this. You've got another reader.

At a wild guess, I'd say he had about $250,000 with no popularity or prestige. My predictions woulda been close if I'd read this before you posted the results. I picked Tic to lose, Cal to Win and Lemming to win. Why does everyone apart from me hate on Flemmy so much? :'( I'll be dropping by to read this too, though it would be nice if you would prettify it a bit. A little bit of coding can make thing easier to read and get more people to read too. Which can only be a good thing, of course. Derek B

derek b is correct on the starting statistics. :) And what type of coding changes would you recommend doing, Derek? I'd be happy to implement anything that'd make it easier for people to read. Thanks for all the compliments, guys. :) I'll admit I feel more out of my element in writing wrestling dynasties than I do writing say, basketball dynasties, but it's fun to do.

Archived