A newbie seeking some advice...

Okay, I just bought TEW2008 and I have to say this game is so much more complex and difficult than WMMA. I have some questions that I haven't been able to figure out while playing so far. I'm trying to play a Japanese promotion (INSPIRE) that concentrates on performance over popularity, but I'm not sure how I'm suppose to book my matches. Right now, I have a few unchained storyline feuds going on, but I keep getting "lack of selling" and "lack of psychology" problems from those matches. How do I fix that? Another question is, do I book the matches in a predetermined way or let them fight it out themselves? My product suggests that I'm suppose to do 100% matches, so does that mean I shouldn't do any angles/storylines at all? What's the point of the opener/lower midcarder/midcarder/etc wrestlers and how am suppose to use them? I feel like I'm just throwing random wrestlers together and fighting them for no reason. Is it a way of building up fighters to rise up from openers to main eventers? Or are they there just to fill a card? I'm also kind of overwhelmed by all the predetermined ways of deciding matches. Like protecting the flaws of a wrestler or having them go all out. I'm just not sure what the right circumstances are to use those and how it's helping or hurting the match. Can anyone refer me to a "newbie" post with some advice on how to book good matches/cards?

[QUOTE=Nephrinn;530897]Okay, I just bought TEW2008 and I have to say this game is so much more complex and difficult than WMMA. I have some questions that I haven't been able to figure out while playing so far. I'm trying to play a Japanese promotion (INSPIRE) that concentrates on performance over popularity, but I'm not sure how I'm suppose to book my matches. Right now, I have a few unchained storyline feuds going on, but I keep getting "lack of selling" and "lack of psychology" problems from those matches. How do I fix that?[/quote] Basically the lack of selling is down to the wrestler's selling stat - if both of them are relatively low, then neither will be selling the moves enough so the match will suffer. Try to have at least one worker in the match who will sell the moves. Psychology similarly is down to the wrestler's psychology stat - if both of them have low psychology then it's better to have the match scripted by the road agent. Ideally try to have one worker with good psychology in the match so he can carry the other if need be. [QUOTE=Nephrinn;530897]Another question is, do I book the matches in a predetermined way or let them fight it out themselves?[/quote] If you mean by should you choose the winners then I guess it's up to you, you can let the AI choose for you, but to get the best results I'd do it myself. Wrestling is pre-determined whereas MMA is obviously a real sport. INSPIRE is more MMA-like than most, but it's still a wrestling promotion at the end of the day. [QUOTE=Nephrinn;530897]My product suggests that I'm suppose to do 100% matches, so does that mean I shouldn't do any angles/storylines at all? [/quote] Your fans won't be keen to see any angles, which is the case for most Japanese promotions. You may get away with the odd hype angle, but only with your most popular workers I would imagine. [QUOTE=Nephrinn;530897]What's the point of the opener/lower midcarder/midcarder/etc wrestlers and how am suppose to use them? I feel like I'm just throwing random wrestlers together and fighting them for no reason. Is it a way of building up fighters to rise up from openers to main eventers? Or are they there just to fill a card?[/quote] To put it in basic terms - your openers will wrestle at the start of the card, the midcarders in the middle and main eventers in the main event :) Generally your main eventers would beat your midcarders and so-on down the card (although this doesn't always need to be the case). Winning matches will usually raise the worker's pop as will putting on good matches (especially where performance matters more). As their pop increases you can move them up the card. [QUOTE=Nephrinn;530897]I'm also kind of overwhelmed by all the predetermined ways of deciding matches. Like protecting the flaws of a wrestler or having them go all out. I'm just not sure what the right circumstances are to use those and how it's helping or hurting the match.[/quote] Protecting a worker is often best used when you have a weaker wrestler in the ring with better ones - it'll keep him out of the way for the most part so he doesn't spoil the match. Having wrestlers go all out should improve the match rating, but should probably be saved for main events or important matches. [QUOTE=Nephrinn;530897]Can anyone refer me to a "newbie" post with some advice on how to book good matches/cards?[/QUOTE] The official tip thread is useful, also read the help files that come with the game and maybe try reading some dynasties to see how others play the game.

With those MMA-crossovers who have really low psychology/performance stats in general you want to do just Shoot fight matches that are 1 minute long, and even then use the "Script" road agent note when adding the match. :D I'd really suggest that you read the Help files that come with the game. :)

[QUOTE=Nephrinn;530897]I'm trying to play a Japanese promotion (INSPIRE) that concentrates on performance over popularity, but I'm not sure how I'm suppose to book my matches. Right now, I have a few unchained storyline feuds going on, but I keep getting "lack of selling" and "lack of psychology" problems from those matches. How do I fix that?[/QUOTE] When you book matches, pay attention to the selling and psychology stats of your wrestlers. You want at least one of them to have decent psychology and selling so the match doesn't fall apart. Go to the "Creative meeting" and look to see who your ring generals are. Any match with a ring general in it is unlikely to get that note. Also, the length of the match is important. A five minute match between workers with questionable psychology is less likely to do as poorly as a thirty minute match would. With workers who lack psychology, you might try match lengths of six minutes or less that use the "script match" note from a road agent with high psychology.[QUOTE=Nephrinn;530897]Another question is, do I book the matches in a predetermined way or let them fight it out themselves?[/quote] That's totally up to you. There are typically advantages to predetermined booking--for example, you can build up an undefeated streak for a rising star, and that star's popularity will rise, which will help the ratings of the matches he's in. With clever booking, that can do a lot for your overall success. On the other hand, it is INSPIRE, which is an MMA-style wrestling federation, and you can choose to run it like a "real" (non-predetermined) sport if that's what you enjoy. Just don't select a winner when booking and the game will have them fight it out. [QUOTE=Nephrinn;530897]My product suggests that I'm suppose to do 100% matches, so does that mean I shouldn't do any angles/storylines at all? [/quote] You certainly don't need to use any angles/storylines, though you can, so long as they don't take up more than 10% of your total show time (aside from dark matches). Your fans aren't looking for sports entertainment style angles, but short hype angles for your most popular stars might go over well. [QUOTE=Nephrinn;530897]What's the point of the opener/lower midcarder/midcarder/etc wrestlers and how am suppose to use them? I feel like I'm just throwing random wrestlers together and fighting them for no reason. Is it a way of building up fighters to rise up from openers to main eventers? Or are they there just to fill a card? [/quote] Generally speaking, your midcarders are there to lose to your upper midcarders and main eventers, making them look good, but to win over those lower on your card so they seem like credible threats to your top stars. Likewise, your lower midcarders are there to beat your openers and enhancement talents, but to lose to your midcarders. Eventually, you want your talented workers who are lower on the card to rise up through the ranks and replace the older, less skilled (or more difficult to work with) veterans who are currently more popular. They'll gain popularity even by losing matches to your top stars, and even more so by beating them. Be careful you don't push a young star too hard too fast as he's likely to become an arrogant jerk who refuses to lose to anyone. Older workers you push strongly aren't likely to get those sorts of negative personality changes from a so-called "Superman push" though. [QUOTE=Nephrinn;530897]I'm also kind of overwhelmed by all the predetermined ways of deciding matches. Like protecting the flaws of a wrestler or having them go all out. I'm just not sure what the right circumstances are to use those and how it's helping or hurting the match.[/quote] I felt a bit overwhelmed by that as well when I was first starting out, and I suspect we're not alone there. Trial and error will show you what works and what doesn't, but as a rule of thumb you want the wrestlers in your main event to go all out because that gives them the best shot of putting on the match of the night. If the main event isn't the match of the night, your overall show grade will likely drop, as the fans went home feeling like the main event didn't live up to the hype. Work the crowd can be used with matchups earlier on the card that might overshadow the main event. Protecting workers tends to be a good thing to do when you have one who's less skilled--perhaps, someone with poor selling and psychology, who's nevertheless a big draw because of his popularity or power. When booking your cards, my advice would be to start at the end. You want your best match in the main event and your second best match right before it. Then you want to book a decent match right at the beginning to grab the crowd's attention. In between, you want good (but not main event caliber) matches that lead the crowd through ups and downs. This match is a little better, that one's a little worse, this one's a little better, etc. leading up to the big two matches at the end.

From the sounds of it, you aren't too familiar with Japanese wrestling? I'd suggest giving SWF or someone a quick go just to get used to the controls in an environment you are more familiar with. Use one where you can use angles to get stroylines to progress and such.

[quote=pepper2008;531034]One important tip of Japanese Wrestling is that high Intensity,Stiffness, Pureso matters. Your fans like their wrestling to be as real as possible. Their will be some wrestlers who will do well in Japan than in any other place.[/quote] No, it doesn't. :confused: Japan is just a normal part of the gameworld, just like all the other sections. There just is more performance based promotions there. What the fans like still depends on the product, but the attendance recommendations numbers go with the fan type preferences, etc. I'm off to work, I'll get back on this. :p

Try get an A match with Marat Kholov from anywhere in the world, however he seems to get As on PGHW and BOTWG even in INSPIRE. Most Japanese promotions have a strong puresu in their "style". I guess puresu is rated on Stiffness, Intensity and Puresu (duh). Well I could be wrong. But I still suggest if you want to play INSPIRE, get as many workers with those high traits

Might it be the fact that Khoklov is massively popular throughout the entirety of Japan? It's hard to say. I think (key word: think. this is not proven fact, nor should be it be mistaken for proven fact) that Realism has something to do with Stiffness and Intensity stats, and a lot of Japanese promotions have a lot of Realism in their products for the most part. Once again, this is speculation and should not be taken as fact.

Thats the beauty of the game there are a lot of factors that will result in a good match or a bad match. Sure, there are some wrestlers that you can get the same result in any game you play (as long as they are neutral chemistry) like Tommy Cornell vs. RDJ, Stones vs. Johnny Bloodstone, and Rich Money vs. Jack Bruce which is at least a B+ The only time I see Bruce the Giant and Marat Kholov get an A is when they are in Japan. I dont know if the AI has a certain plus in making matches. Look at PGHW a lot of their workers can get A+ matches like Bryan Vessey, Yoshimbo and even Dread. I find it so difficult to get Dread an A match in the states. Finally, I have not experimented enough of this game to give any statement of fact. I was just giving some newbie some tips.

[quote=pepper2008;531096]Try get an A match with Marat Kholov from anywhere in the world, however he seems to get As on PGHW and BOTWG even in INSPIRE. [/quote] Marat Khoklov is C+ in US and Canada, D+ everywhere else and [U]A in Japan, usually A* after a while[/U]. So there goes your logic :o And of course he gets high rated matches in INSPIRE: He's popular, has high intensity and tougness levels, Star Quality and B- in Brawling (A* in Power)..

[QUOTE=FINisher;531191]Marat Khoklov is C+ in US and Canada, D+ everywhere else and [U]A in Japan, usually A* after a while[/U]. So there goes your logic :o And of course he gets high rated matches in INSPIRE: He's popular, has high intensity and tougness levels, Star Quality and B- in Brawling (A* in Power)..[/QUOTE] I agree with you one hundred percent.

I know I seem to be bashing you in seemingly every other thread, pepper, but I just want to drive home the fact that tips aren't useful unless they're true and accurate. Faulty intelligence does nobody any good. So it's more for the preservation of accuracy in GDS tip threads than anything else.

[quote=Thomnipotent;531727]I know I seem to be bashing you in seemingly every other thread, pepper, but I just want to drive home the fact that tips aren't useful unless they're true and accurate. Faulty intelligence does nobody any good. So it's more for the preservation of accuracy in GDS tip threads than anything else.[/quote] I second that statement.

Thanks for all the advice. I've been reading over it and surfing the forums and it's been a great help. After testing the waters, I think I've finally settled down with playing SWF. The Inspire promotion just seems too hard and confusing at the moment. I've got four storylines running with SWF so far: 1. Eisen/Bruce Title Feud I wrote this storyline myself, which is a kind of expanded version of "Singles Title Gets Stolen". Basically, Eisen challenges Bruce to a non-title match, Bruce accepts, they fight at the first PPV, Eisen steals belt and has Runaway Train ambush Bruce to secure the belt at the end of the show. Then, Eisen tells Bruce he has to go through Runaway Train before he can get at him, a match is scheduled for PPV #2, Bruce wins (despite Eisen interfering at ringside) and it evolves to Bruce putting his title on the line for PPV #3. Unfortunately, Eisen has yet another surprise in store for Bruce, giving Eisen the title. That'll set up a new story line with Bruce and the yet to be determined surprise guest as well as a new face to step in. :D 2. Faith/Vengeance Feud This is a two person unchained storyline involving Faith and Vengeance, so I'm free to make it up as I go. I started out by doing a mystery attack on Faith, a mystery note on Faith, and then, at PPV #1, a bloody attack on Faith and revealing the mystery attacker (Vengeance). From there I'll probably just have them go at it for a while. 3. The Deviants' Mayhem I grew up on NWO in the WCW days, so this comes natural for me. I started a new, four-man stable involving Rich Money, Remo, Joe Sexy, and Angry Gilmore. I'm going to have them just randomly attacking people, taunting them, cheating their way to victory, and eventually expanding their ranks. Should be lots of fun. So far, I've had great success and the storyline is rated B+ after 9 steps. 4. Warrior/James Feud Seemed like a natural feud in the making. I'm going to have them go back and forth for the most part, although I'm having trouble with James accepting losses (he overrides them). :( On the brightside, their first PPV match scored an A. I plan on using Retro and DuBois as supporting roles and a possible tag team match. That's what I've got so far. And after three events (2 TV, 1 PPV), I think I'm really catching on. The two TV events got B- ratings and the PPV got a whopping B+. I'm really loving the flexibility and control you have in this game.

Good to see you got the ball rolling on a promotion that seems to be working out for you. SWF is great as it boasts a Sports Entertainment product that we're all pretty familiar with, but if you find that the size of the roster gets to be overwhelming, I'd suggest trying USPW, CGC or 21CW; they have at least comparable products, ones emphasizing entertainment, and have more manageable rosters. Also, since you have it, take advantage of your development territory, RIPW; maybe send some newly-signed youngsters who are slightly lacking in the desired department (probably entertainment for SWF, although teaching them the basics so they don't break orbital bones might help) over to RIPW along with some veterans who are pretty proficient in those areas (sign Nemesis out of hiatus for entertainment/basics, maybe). Just be sure that you send the youngsters there with the 'Improve Skills' purpose and the veteran trainers with the 'Train' purpose or things will get messy quickly.

[QUOTE=pepper2008;533060]Just be careful the workers with the creative controls, it will mess up your plans as they will only lose usually to workers more popular than them. From the start I think, Eric Eisen , Runaway Train (i think) and Brandon James have those.[/QUOTE] Two out of three ain't bad! ;) Brandon James and Eric Eisen have creative control.

• 4 months later...
Running an event Hey, I'm new to TEW and would like to know if someone would help me out. I'm running my federation ( WWF -1984) and had Wrestlemania planned a year early to fall on Sunday, Week 1 in April. Well Sunday came and went with no Wrestlemania. Did I miss something? How do I get the game to run events? Thanks for any assistance.

Re:Running an event I do have events that show up as recurring events. I've created my game from scratch and am not running a mod. I started my game world in January 1984 and created Wrestlemania to start in April. It is set to be on Fox Sports. Thanks Tempest.

Archived