DOTM: Cornellverse

DOTM: Cornellverse  

54 members have voted

1. 1. DOTM: Cornellverse

• FINisher's "BBW - Start a War Chapter II"
    • Tigerkinney's "Puerto Rican Self Preservation Society: Version 2.0"
    • No Neck's "Secret's of the Ring Volume Two"
    • Marcel Fromage's "UEW: The New tradition"
    • Phantom Strangers' "Philly Power Pro Wrestling: Dangerous Dreams [C-Verse '97]"
    • Big Papa 42's "SWF:Generation Supreme"
    • infinitywpi's "Tradition Dictates that you be Welcomed"

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[QUOTE=infinitywpi;537644]Only if you win by 1 or 2 votes. If your vote doesn't matter, then it's okay to vote for yourself. Hell, Obama and McCain voted for themselves, so...[/QUOTE] Not true. It's flawed logic; if your vote doesn't count, don't cast it. Not to mention that because this is a public poll, your vote is visible as a marker which makes it count but in a different way. There is no question that the early part of the voting dictates the rest of it, with people jumping in behind the front runners every month, without fail. That being said, your vote for yourself, which artificially inflates your number of votes, gives the illusion that people are getting behind your diary, which in turn convinces the bandwagon personalities to cast their vote for the winner. That's why it matters; it's an issue of influence. And besides, if it is so easy to justify, why did only two of this month's nominees vote for themselves?

Come on Finiisher NoNeck, you're dangerously close to spoiling the nice atmosphere these threads provide. If he wants to vote for himself, then he can. If you guys have an issue with it, then ban it. The guff about "people only vote for the front runners :(" screams of jealousy to me, unfortunately. I'm sure that's not how you want to come across.

[QUOTE=FINisher;537707]dakrazy1's vote DOES NOT count, he's just signed and hasn't made any posts. As doesn't jesseewiak's vote also. Third one, Kovic. He has less than 50 posts also Didn't we have that min. 50 post qualification?[/QUOTE] Wait, what? Are we really disenfranchising a friendly, ultimately meaningless poll? Where, exactly, is there a 50 post qualification? It's not on this thread or the nomination thread. I didn't realize this was some sort of member's only gentleman's club. I thought it was a positive that there's interest in these. EDIT: Please practice your sarcasm.

[quote=lazorbeak;537716]Wait, what? Are we really disenfranchising a friendly, ultimately meaningless poll? Where, exactly, is there a 50 post qualification? It's not on this thread or the nomination thread. I didn't realize this was some sort of member's only gentleman's club. I thought it was a positive that there's interest in these.[/quote] I'm just trying to eliminate competition, that's all :rolleyes: :D I'm desperate. No, I'm not. I'm just playing around. You're right, it is meaningless. That's why that last post was meant as a funny, sarcastic-like comment as I'm trying naiively eliminate competition. But yeah I was wrong: the 50 post qualification was for the [URL="http://67.19.230.90/~arles/forum/../../%7Earles/forum/showthread.php?t=36464"]GDS TEW Diary Awards 2008 Nomination Thread[/URL] I honestly don't really care that much who wins, but NoNeck said some really interesting thoughts on the self-voting which I second.

[QUOTE=lazorbeak;537716]Wait, what? Are we really disenfranchising a friendly, ultimately meaningless poll? Where, exactly, is there a 50 post qualification? It's not on this thread or the nomination thread. I didn't realize this was some sort of member's only gentleman's club. I thought it was a positive that there's interest in these.[/QUOTE] I think the 50 post thing is for the year-end votes, which understandably see more contention as they're, well, less common.

[QUOTE=Rathen4;537695]Come on Finiisher NoNeck, you're dangerously close to spoiling the nice atmosphere these threads provide. If he wants to vote for himself, then he can. If you guys have an issue with it, then ban it. The guff about "people only vote for the front runners :(" screams of jealousy to me, unfortunately. I'm sure that's not how you want to come across.[/QUOTE] No, it's not how I want to come across, you're right. My apologies.

Just to put an end to all of this negative atmosphere as this is getting too far. Maybe next month it's my time. But for now.. [CENTER] [B]I, FINisher, am therefore announcing my vote for the DOTM of November.[/B] [/CENTER] The One I seconded/nominated to being in this poll in the first place. And I quote, from 12-03-2008, 11:50 PM: [quote=FINisher;535280]I'll second: Tradition Dictates That You Be Welcomed... To The Coastal Zone by infinitywpi as it's been "The Diary" for me for a long, long time. CZCW finally managed to go to Cult, but then dropped right back to Regional, but I'm sure that he'll get back to Cult during 2013. Infinitywpi has been consistent and loyal to the diary for so long that I have to admire him. I hope the diary never ends. [/quote] [SIZE="4"][CENTER]I vote [I]infinitywpi's "Tradition Dictates that you be Welcomed"[/I][/CENTER][/SIZE]

[quote=iMac;537767]Well, even though he tried to eliminate me from the best new writer category in the year end awards (a pattern starting here?), I did nominate him and I do like his stuff, so FIN got my vote.[/quote] Oh yeah that was another one! *starts whistling* :rolleyes: :p I kid, I kid. And in the end it didn't count, remember ;) I don't know, maybe it doesn't come across as humorous to all of you than it does for me! It's just my humor. Thanks for the vote, I appreciate it. But I guess it's too late. ^^

[QUOTE=Rathen4;537695]Come on Finiisher NoNeck, you're dangerously close to spoiling the nice atmosphere these threads provide. If he wants to vote for himself, then he can. If you guys have an issue with it, then ban it. The guff about "people only vote for the front runners :(" screams of jealousy to me, unfortunately. I'm sure that's not how you want to come across.[/QUOTE] this form the man who refuses to delete his post from my set up page? :p As for post count or vote for yourself. There is not post count restriction here. if someone wants to stuff the ballot box that is on their conscience. I see it as a sure fire way to loose every reader you've ever had. We mostly adults here, and those who aren't maintain a level of maturity they should be congratulated on. So just don't stuff and we won't have to worry about that issue. :D As to voting for yourself, I frown upon it, but will never ban it, and the policy has been stated before, If it ever comes down to a tie, and one writer voted for themselves and the other did not. That issued will break the tie.

-sigh- ...that's it. I'm taking off the monkey suit. Alright. Any of you young, stuck up punks that can't give anyone in this thread any respect are going to be called out for every factual, grammatical and punctuation error you vomit onto these boards. So play nice unless you'd rather I make you play nice! ...ugh. Just stop your crying and put your votes down for who you think should win. It's a pretty basic system, okay? No need for squabbling or whining. EDIT: In fact, just you lot know I'm serious, here's this. [QUOTE=mistaken;537819]As to voting for yourself, I frown upon it, but will never ban it, and the policy has been stated before, If it ever comes down to a tie, and one writer voted for themselves and the other did not. That issued will break the tie.[/QUOTE] As for use of commas, mistaken, sometimes it's better to use periods, where you'd prefer to use a comma, because that's how the freakin' language works, so give it a try, I hope you do, sincerely, me.

[QUOTE=Thomnipotent;538038] As for use of commas, mistaken, sometimes it's better to use periods, where you'd prefer to use a comma, because that's how the freakin' language works, so give it a try, I hope you do, sincerely, me.[/QUOTE] not gonna to happen,this life time or the next. :D (you can now join the line of English teachers, and college professors who have a problem with my comma splices.)

[QUOTE=mistaken;538155]not gonna to happen,this life time or the next. :D (you can now join the line of English teachers, and college professors who have a problem with my comma splices.)[/QUOTE] Comma's are awesome. Comma, high, five!

I would like to thank everyone who voted, not just for me, but for anybody in this contest. It really does make me smile to see the attention the Cornellverse Diaries are getting recently. This is an important win for me... not just because it justifies the complete change in writeup styles I recently made, but because it puts me into a rather elite group... I now join JSilver, Scapino, and James Casey as the only people to win CV-DOTM twice for the same diary. Having read their work, I'm not sure I deserve to be in the same category as them, but what the heck. Now for my next goal: Joining the even more elite three-timers club (which, I believe right now is Nevermore for his ECW RL-DOTM). That should take me a while. I can't help but feel a little old, looking at the DOTM writers from 2006, and even from 2007, and seeing how many of them are still here, still writing actively... it feels strange, being nostalgic over a game that's only been around since... well, I was going to say "Since I was out of college," but even that doesn't narrow it down as much these days. I'd like to thank the ones who are still here, for still being here; and the ones who aren't, for having been here; you were all part of one of the best communities among indy games. TEW is a great game. But it's the community, the writers here and the players everywhere, who helped bring it to life, helped take one-paragraph biographies and make three-dimensional people out of them. It's the community that convinces us to try and stick to a schedule, updating often enough that people feel they can look forward to something new, often. It's the community that gets our free time as we play and we write, and it's the community that gives back, in moments like this. Thank you all.

Archived