Stats For Randy "The Ram" Robinson

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="RavenEffect" data-cite="RavenEffect" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="20905" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Can anyone give me some stats for him? I know he's not a real wrestler but I want to import him into my game as one.</div></blockquote>Interesting question. <p> </p><p> Personally, I'd look for an existing historical mod from the forum, one where the data looks solid. I'd make a copy of Lex Luger, and stick with his physical stats, menace, sex appeal, etc. Luger's a good starting point, as the filmmakers have acknowledged that he was an inspiration for Ram. From there, I'd bump up hardcore skill considerably, bump up all performance skills up moderately, bump up aerial, mat wrestling and chain wrestling skills just a bit, and then drop star quality considerably (I'd guess somewhere in the C to D range? High enough for a national company to push him to the top, but low enough for his star to fade after the company stops pushing him.) Then I'd give him injuries, as he's been banged up over the years.</p><p> </p><p> It's also something of a subjective process. Personally, I wouldn't set his aerial skill incredibly high, despite the top rope finisher, as his arsenal seems more in line with an entertainer/brawler than a high flier to me. But you might disagree, and that's cool, you can customize him to your game world however you see fit.</p>

I've heard that Jerry Lynn enjoyed The Wrestler and strongly identified with the character, but I've not heard that the filmmakers envisioned Ram with Lynn in mind.

We know Ram is an 80's wrestler who headlined in 1988 against "The Ayatollah" in a hugely watched wrestling match. It's presented as a big event of the time, possibly an homage to Hulk Hogan vs. The Iron Sheik. So what was really happening in 1988? Lex Luger was a big star, a former member of the Four Horsemen, now main eventing PPVs against Ric Flair. Meanwhile, Jerry Lynn was first breaking into professional wrestling, appearing in small indy shows in Minnesota. So I take the filmmakers at their word that Luger, not Lynn, was the primary inspiration for Ram.

Of course, if you look at the big main event babyface stars of the 80's, they tended to be in that Hogan/Luger/Warrior mold: strongmen with limited movesets. Ram is certainly presented as being more skilled than Luger, but by no means is he magic in the ring. Put another way, there's nothing we see Ram do in the ring that a 55 year old actor can't learn to do with eight weeks of intensive training.

I see Ram as a Luger-style wrestler who's developed a good work ethic over the years and continued to update his skills so he can try to stay relevant to indy wrestling fans now that the bigger feds are no longer pushing him. But again, it's a subjective judgment, and if you see Ram as an 80's wrestler in the mold of, say, Ricky Steamboat or Dynamite Kid, that's certainly your prerogative.

Archived