Ring of Honor-We Don't Imitate...We Innovate (2002)

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Low Ki vs. Christopher Daniels (for the ROH Championship)

I'm still staying with my original pick to win it all, even though the match itself will be awesome.

Bryan Danielson vs. Samoa Joe

Joe's looking for revenge and an angry Joe is a dominant Joe.

AJ Styles & Amazing Red vs. The Briscoes

Corino's going to get involved somehow.

Spanky vs. CM Punk

Punkster wil find a way around Spank's wierd personality and get the duke.

Homicide vs. Tony Mamaluke

'Cide despite the loss is the jack of all trades and therefore (unless you have plans for Tony Mamaluke which would be awesome by the way) should win simply because 'Cide is 'Cide.

Dan Maff vs. Steve Corino

I doubt AJ will interfere with this match so the King of Old School reigns supreme!

BTW, I don't mind the updates from around the world. You keep them short and simple and a lil funny (Quote: . . .and some guy named Brock Lesnar) so KUTGW.

I'm still staying with my original pick to win it all, even though the match itself will be awesome.

I'm confused..you highlighted Low Ki and said you were staying with your original pick to win it all. But when you did your predictions for Road to the Title, you predicted that Daniels would eventually win the tournament. Is there a typo somewhere, or am I just missing something?

I like both and both would be awesome champs but gotta go with Daniels.

I like Danielson to pull off another out from nowhere win.

AJ Styles & Amazing Red vs. The Briscoes

The Briscoes seem like they are set to be your top tag team at this point.

Spanky vs. CM Punk

I'm confused..you highlighted Low Ki and said you were staying with your original pick to win it all. But when you did your predictions for Road to the Title, you predicted that Daniels would eventually win the tournament. Is there a typo somewhere, or am I just missing something?

My bad. I'll edit that now. :)

March 14th, 2002

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/banner_ROH2.jpg

BREAKING NEWS:

We are less than 24 hours away from Crowning a Champion, and the scheduled title match could be in jeopardy.

ROHWrestling.com can confirm reports that Low Ki suffered an injury to his right wrist last night while competing in a match for the East Coast Wrestling Association. The severity of the injury can not yet be verified.

Upon learning of this unfortunate incident, ROH officials contacted Low Ki with the offer of postponing the title match until a later date. However, Low Ki insists that he will not be accepting the offer, and will wrestle Christopher Daniels to determine the first champion in ROH history tomorrow night, as scheduled.

If Low Ki changes his mind between now and tomorrow night, we will be sure to update you here on ROHWrestling.com.

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/low-ki.jpg

Will Low Ki be able to compete at Crowning a Champion?

That sucks.... What had the potential to be a 5 star match is brought down by an injury... well, look at the bright side... at least he wasn't mauled by a bear like someone was in my game (not from ROH, someone in IWS, I think)

March 15th, 2002: Crowning a Champion

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/logoROH.jpg

presents:

Crowning a Champion

March 15th, 2002

From the ECW Arena in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/ecwsign.jpg

Attendance: 1,000 (sell-out)

The DVD opened with Low Ki arriving at the arena. James Hill had been waiting for his arrival and approached him, cameraman in tow.

“Low Ki, there’s one thing on everybody’s mind heading into tonight: what is the condition of your wrist, and are you healthy enough to compete in the scheduled ROH Championship match against Christopher Daniels?”

Low Ki looked at Hill and nodded, taking a moment to think before replying. “My wrist is broken; it hurts like hell. This will be the most pain I have ever wrestled in. But I will wrestle Christopher Daniels tonight, and I will become the first Ring of Honor Champion.”

“Surely you realize that Christopher Daniels will target that wrist at every opportunity. If you’re in so much pain before the match has even begun, why did you refuse the postponement offered by ROH officials?”

Low Ki took on a look of fierce determination. “I vowed to be the standard bearer for ROH. To me, ROH represents many things, and one of them is pride. I am a proud warrior, and if I were to accept a postponement, I would be conceding defeat. A warrior does not back down when he has an injury; a warrior stands and fights until he cannot fight any longer. I will either win the battle and become Ring of Honor Champion, or I will go down fighting.”

--

AJ Styles (w/Alexis Laree) and The Amazing Red vs. The Briscoes

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/AJStyles.jpg & http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/AmazingRed.jpg vs. http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/JayBriscoe.jpg & http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/MarkBriscoe.jpg

AJ Styles and color commentator Steve Corino had a lengthy stare-down before the match began, but Red, Alexis Laree and referee Marty Dugas intervened before it came to blows. Corino was never far from AJ’s mind, though, as he looked his way more than once during the match.

For two wrestlers teaming together for the first time, Styles and Red worked surprisingly well together. Their styles complemented each other well, and they joined together for some impressive double team moves. But the Briscoes, who have obviously been around one another since childhood, were not to be outdone when it came to teamwork. After Red missed with an aerial move, the Briscoes managed to wear him down, keeping the young high flyer near their corner and making frequent tags. The Briscoes worked over Red for a rather lengthy period of time, getting several near falls, but Red kept the match going with several kick-outs just before the three-count. The fans urged Red on, hoping to see him tag in the fresh Styles.

When Jay Briscoe tried to finish Red off with the J-Driller, Red managed to wiggle free, make a desperate lunge for his corner, and tag in AJ. The fired-up Styles took care of things from there, fighting off both Briscoes before finishing Mark off with the Styles Clash.

Winners: AJ Styles and The Amazing Red in 13:20 with a Styles Clash by AJ on Mark Briscoe

As soon as the bell rang signifying the end of the match, Steve Corino swiftly got up from his seat at the announce table and rushed into the ring, bringing his chair with him. An unsuspecting AJ Styles turned around and was met with a vicious shot to the head from the chair. Amazing Red tried to come to his partner's aid, but Corino jabbed the edge of the chair into his ribs, gave him another shot across the small of the back, and tossed him through the ropes and onto the floor. With Red now out of the picture, Corino returned his attention to Styles, who was struggling to return to his feet. Corino sized his target up, and as soon as AJ got up, he received a second brutal shot to the skull, this one busting his forehead wide open. A bevy of officials and event staff swarmed to the ring to stop the assault. Corino, having done what he set out to do, laid the chair down and casually sat on the top turnbuckle, allowing the group to attend to Styles.

After the officials made sure Corino would not impede them, Red and Alexis Laree each wrapped one of AJ’s arms around their shoulders, helping their dazed and bloody comrade back to the locker room. Corino remained in the ring for the next match.

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/DanMaff.jpg vs. http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/SteveCorino.jpg

The fans were not happy with Steve Corino after his assault on crowd favorite AJ Styles, but their minimal support of Dan Maff indicated that they didn’t give him much of a chance of pulling off the upset.

Maff tried to utilize his strength advantage, but Corino neutralized it with his wrestling skill and clever tricks. The King of Old School dictated the pace the entire match, and he made sure to taunt the hostile crowd with his dominance whenever possible. After disabling Maff with the Old School Expulsion, he even went so far as to pull his shoulders off of the mat just before what would have been a 3-count. He paused to revel in the crowd’s boos some more before showing impressive strength in lifting Maff’s large frame off of the ground and driving him into the canvas with a Northern Lights bomb. Even though Corino only used one arm on his pinfall attempt, Maff was in no shape to kick out.

After scoring the victory, Corino slowly left ringside, taking the blood-stained steel chair with him like a trophy.

Winner: Steve Corino in 12:17 with a Northern Lights bomb

Spanky vs. CM Punk

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/Spanky.jpg vs. http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/CMPunk.jpg

While Spanky would still pause for the occasional bit of showboating, he seemed to be more focused on the task at hand than he was in the first match between these two. It made for a much rougher time for CM Punk, who seemed to be caught off-guard initially by Spanky’s more serious approach.

Punk may have been thrown by the change, but he did adjust to it as the match went on. He controlled much of the middle portion of the match, but couldn’t quite put Spanky away.

After withstanding a good deal of Punk’s offensive arsenal, Spanky ducked a lariat attempt and connected with a superkick to Punk’s jaw that nearly ended the match. Showing continued focus, Spanky did not waste any time dancing or posing, instead going right for his patented Sliced Bread #2.

The referee wasn’t in position to see it, but as Spanky sprung onto the turnbuckle to attempt his finishing maneuver, one of the ringside photographers subtly yanked on his foot. This caused Spanky to lose his footing and crotch himself on the top turnbuckle. CM Punk capitalized on this opening, picking up the win with the Pepsi Plunge.

Punk and the supposed “photographer” hugged after the match and left ringside together, revealing that they were in cahoots.

Winner: CM Punk in 13:49 with the Pepsi Plunge

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/cabana.jpg

Who is this man, and what is his association with CM Punk?

Intermission began inside the locker room of Christopher Daniels, with the Fallen Angel and Gail Kim. Daniels had a disbelieving smile on his face as he looked into the camera.

“Low Ki, I’ve known you were a fool for some time now. But even I had no idea just how far your stupidity runs.”

Daniels shook his head, letting out a laugh. “Remember what I said at The Era of Honor Begins? I said that the values you hold so dear, things like honor, integrity and pride, are worthless garbage that will only hold you back. Just like they did to Ricky Steamboat. If he’d put less stock in those foolish values of his and realized that winning is the only thing that matters in the end, he may have become the greatest of all time. Instead, his pride and integrity became shackles that prevented him from realizing his full potential.

“And Low Ki, you’re even worse. You’re going to walk out there tonight and try and defeat me when you’ve got a broken wrist? Even Steamboat wouldn’t have been stupid enough to turn down a postponement if he’d had an injury. But you, you’re so obsessed with this ridiculous notion of upholding your honor that you are going to waste your shot at becoming ROH Champion. And when all is said and done, people won’t remember this night as the night that Low Ki “courageously” tried in vain to fight through an injury. No, tonight, March 15th, 2002, will forever be remembered as the night that the legacy of “The Fallen Angel” Christopher Daniels truly began to be forged.”

--

“James Hill here with CM Punk. Punk, I’ll get right to the point: who was that phony photographer, and what is his relationship to you?”

“He is none other than Colt Cabana. He is my tag team partner, and even though he may not be straight-edge like me, he’s also my closest friend in the world. We both grew up in the Windy City of Chicago, and we both broke into the sport of professional wrestling together. He has come here to Ring of Honor so the two of us can show the wrestling world how a couple of Chi-town boys do things. Now that the Second City Saints are united here in ROH, the time for fun and games, the time for dancing and posing, it’s all at an end. Because we mean serious business, and…”

The sound of the locker room door opening could be heard in the background, but the camera remained focused on CM Punk, as well as James Hill standing beside him. As Punk and Hill both looked to the door, the camera captured their reactions to whoever had just opened the door. Hill had a look of bewildered amusement on his face, while Punk’s disgust was clearly visible. Slowly, the camera turned to face the newcomer.

Standing near the door was Colt Cabana, but his photographer’s outfit from earlier in the evening was gone. He was now wearing normal attire…with one notable exception: the comically oversized orange cowboy hat on his head. As Cabana approached, Punk stood up to look him face to face.

“I thought you understood that this is serious—“ Punk began, but Cabana cut him off.

“Check it out, Punker—I found this just lying around back here. I can’t believe someone would discard a beauty like this! It’s funny, because it’s bigger than a normal hat.” Punk closed his eyes and blew out a deep breath.

“Colt…just…” Punk never finished that sentence. He kept stuttering and mumbling to himself while Cabana walked right up to the camera and modeled his strange fashion accessory.

--

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/Homicide4.jpg vs. http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/TonyMamaluke.jpg

CM Punk came out and joined James Hill at the announce table after intermission, saying it was time the ROH fans heard some “unfiltered, unbiased, Straight Edge commentary.”

Both of these men were eager to try and get back on a winning track after suffering victories, and they each turned in a solid effort in this match. Homicide was usually in control of the action, but now and again Mamaluke would catch him in a submission hold that would temporarily turn the tide. After Homicide would escape the hold, though, he would regain the advantage soon thereafter.

Homicide looked to finish the match with the Cop Killer, but Mamaluke fought it off and took the Notorious 187 to the mat with a Fujiwara armbar. Homicide fought off the pain and inched his way to the ropes, forcing a break. Right after releasing the hold, Mamaluke forced Homicide back to his feet and whipped him into the ropes. No one will ever know what Mamaluke was intending to do, because Homicide stunned him with a stiff lariat and got the pinfall.

Winner: Homicide in 21:06 with a lariat

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/BryanDanielson.jpg vs. http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/SamoaJoe.jpg

These two stared a hole through each other before the bell rang, each man furious with the other for the events that transpired at Road to the Title.

Joe was determined to not just even their head-to-head score at one victory apiece, but do it swiftly and convincingly. He impatiently tried some high-impact power moves just a few minutes into the match. His impatience was a mistake, though. Danielson was able to avoid Joe’s attempts and take control of the match with a more methodical mat wrestling approach.

Once Joe calmed himself and stopped trying to put the match away prematurely, the match was more or less dead even. Danielson continued to use his technique to try and wear the big man down, while Joe showed his own grappling ability with some expert counters.

As both men tired, Joe was able to reintroduce his big moves with some success. But unlike the first match between these two, he never dominated for a long stretch of time. This time around, Danielson was never on the receiving end for long, coming up with some clever counters to keep Joe from getting on a significant roll.

Danielson seemed to be near a victory with a series of hard elbows to the head. After four shots, Joe slightly staggered backwards. The American Dragon tried to complete the combination with a rolling elbow strike, but Joe blocked the elbow and locked Danielson in a rear naked choke. Danielson tried to squirm free, but Joe had too firm a grip and soon had him down on the mat. Nowhere near the ropes, Danielson looked to be on his last legs, but the bell suddenly rang. The ring announcer informed the crowd that the 30-minute time limit had expired. An irate Joe shoved the referee down and gave an unconscious Danielson a few parting shots before storming off.

No Contest due to expiration of the 30-minute time limit

Before the introductions were made for the main event, ROH President Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat was introduced to the crowd to a nice ovation. Steamboat had the ROH Championship with him in order to present it to the new champion at the conclusion of the match.

ROH Championship Tournament Finals:

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/rohheavyweight.jpg

Low Ki vs. Christopher Daniels (w/Gail Kim)

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/LowKi.jpg vs. http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/ChristopherDaniels2.jpg

It was clear from the opening bell that Low Ki’s broken right wrist would be a major problem. Whenever he tried to make use of the arm, he would wince in obvious pain. He still had two healthy legs, however, so he relied on his repertoire of kicks even more heavily than usual.

Christopher Daniels has made it clear that he will stop at nothing to achieve success in ROH, so it came as no surprise that he targeted Low Ki’s injured arm. He tried many times to make Low Ki submit with holds that targeted the arm, but Ki courageously refused to quit.

Even with Low Ki’s debilitating injury providing a built-in advantage, Daniels still broke the rules frequently. He did not hesitate to slip in an illegal tactic if the ref was not in a position to notice it. When Low Ki managed to string together several nice kicks, Gail Kim climbed onto the ring apron to break his concentration.

The fans wanted to see Low Ki fight through the pain and pull off the victory, but they seemed to feel that the broken wrist would be too much for him to overcome, so they grew more and more subdued as the match progressed. They briefly came to life when Low Ki kicked out of Daniels’ Angel’s Wings maneuver, but Daniels soon finished off his wounded foe with the Last Rites.

Winner and New Ring of Honor Champion: Christopher Daniels in 38:06 with the Last Rites

As soon as the bell rang, Gail Kim slid under the ropes and jumped into the arms of Christopher Daniels, who hugged her in celebration. They paraded around the ring, basking in the disappointment of the fans. Ricky Steamboat slowly stepped between the ropes, the ROH title in his hands. Daniels shouted at Steamboat to present him with the championship, but Steamboat was paying no attention to the new champ. He stared down at the belt with a frown on his face for several long moments, before slowly extending his hands towards Daniels. Daniels seized the belt with a none-too-gentle tug, and hoisted it high into the air. He then handed it over to Gail, who strapped it around his waist as the live show came to an end.

--

Steve Corino sat in his locker room, still holding the blood-stained chair from earlier. He flashed a devious smirk at the camera.

“AJ Styles, what happened to you tonight was entirely your fault. If you had just showed me even the slightest bit of the respect that I have earned, all of this could have been avoided. But no, you just HAD to try and show me up, didn’t you? And THEN, you turned around and pulled off the biggest fluke victory in the history of this sport when you beat me in the ROH title tournament. Ricky Steamboat should have been handing that belt to ME tonight, not Christopher Daniels. But you ruined that, punk. And THEN you had the audacity to call me out for another match? I’m not some no-namer who can be bossed around, Styles: I wrestle who I want, when I want. The sooner you and the ROH officials get that into your thick skulls, the better.”

Corino paused and held the chair up closer to the camera. “AJ, I hope you’ve learned your lesson. Hopefully the dents and the blood on this chair have helped you to realize that Steve Corino is a man who demands respect, and if you don’t give it to him willingly, he will beat it into you. If you’ve gotten the point, this can end here and now. But if you don’t get—“

Corino cut off abruptly as AJ Styles, bandaged forehead and all, charged into his locker room. Styles lunged at Corino and tackled him to the ground. A full-scale brawl broke out as both men traded punches on the floor. Hearing the commotion, a horde of staff and wrestlers rushed into the room. It was a struggle, but they managed to pry the two rivals apart. Both Corino and Styles shouted at each other, and had to be held back as they tried to resume their fight.

--

Christopher Daniels and Gail Kim were about to exit the arena when James Hill caught up to them.

“Christopher Daniels, first of all, congratulations on becoming the first-ever Ring of Honor champion.”

“Why thank you, Jeffrey.”

“But that aside, there are still several things that—“

“Excuse me for just a moment.” Daniels smiled at Hill before handing the ROH title to Gail Kim. “Hold that for me, would you, my dear?”

Gail accepted the belt with a smile, and Daniels turned his attention back to Hill. “Now, where were we?”

“Well, I was going to ask you if you’re truly proud of this victory. We all know that Low Ki was at far less than 100% tonight, and—“

Hill fell silent as Daniels held his hand up. “Yes, yes, I know. Everybody here tonight wanted Low Ki to be the first Ring of Honor champion. They wanted him to prove that guts and determination trump smarts and ruthlessness. Sadly for all of you, that is not the case. And now that I’ve defeated Low Ki, all of you will begin to line up and make excuses for him. ‘Oh, Low Ki had a broken wrist.’ ‘Oh, that no-good Christopher Daniels broke the rules.’ Guess what? I won, Low Ki lost. I’m the ROH champion, he’s not. End of story.”

“But that isn’t truly the end of the story, because after your win, Ricky Steamboat seemed rather reluctant to present you with the title. What did you think about that?”

Daniels laughed and shook his head. “I’m sure it was very difficult for Ricky to hand that belt over to me. And who can blame him? It must have been hard for him to watch me come into his own company and prove, right to his face, that all of those precious values that he puts on such a pedestal are worthless. You know that it has to eat Steamboat alive seeing all of the honors currently being bestowed upon Ric Flair as he approaches his retirement. No doubt he’s saying to himself, ‘If only I’d been willing to win at all costs like Flair, that could have been me.’ And Steamboat and Low Ki, they’re two peas in a pod. All Low Ki’s honor and pride did was make him throw away his shot at greatness. In 15 or 20 years, Low Ki will be in the exact same position that Ricky Steamboat is in now. He’ll think back on this date and say to himself, ‘If only I hadn’t been so foolish. If only I’d accepted the postponement, rather than letting my pride get in the way, maybe I could have been the greatest wrestler of my generation.’ But as we all know, Low Ki’s got more guts than brains, and I was all too happy to capitalize.”

“Well, Chris, be that as it may. Now that you’re the champion, you’ll be faced with some stiff challenges. You know that every single wrestler on the ROH roster will be gunning for you. Who do you think will pose the most immediate threat to your title?”

Daniels smiled and shrugged. “It really doesn’t matter. They can all line up and take a number. I will not just be the first ROH champion; I’ll also be the greatest one. I will take this belt, and this company along with it, and raise it to heights that Ricky Steamboat and Low Ki couldn’t even dream of. Whether you like it or not, it’s a fact: the Christopher Daniels era has officially begun, and pro wrestling will never be the same again. And that…is the gospel…according to the Fallen Angel.”

Quick Results:

AJ Styles & Amazing Red over the Briscoes

Steve Corino over Dan Maff

CM Punk over Spanky

Homicide over Tony Mamaluke

Bryan Danielson drew with Samoa Joe

Christopher Daniels over Low Ki to win the ROH Championship

critical-23: 4-1-1

haloed: 4-1-1

ya_its_me: 4-1-1

Crowning a Champion: Wrap-up

March 15th, 2002

11:22 p.m.

I popped the Advil into my mouth and chased it down with a gulp of water. What a day, I thought to myself as I rubbed my hand on my forehead, trying to make the pounding in my head go away.

If Road to the Title was a double, as Christopher Daniels said, then Crowning a Champion was a pop-fly at best.

-In a pre-show dark match, Colt Cabana went over Jack Evans. I figured we may as well get Cabana some ring time since he would be showing up during the Punk-Spanky match. Jack Evans is very much a work in progress, but there’s no denying that he can pull off some amazing acrobatic stuff. Hopefully, given time, he can blossom into a more well-rounded wrestler and become an impact player for us in the future.

-AJ, Red & The Briscoes got the main show off to a good start. AJ really shined yet again; that guy has star written all over him. Hopefully his ascension will coincide with our own. The Briscoes are a great team. The only real knock on them right now is their lack of familiarity among the crowd, but hopefully their solid ring work will get them over before too long.

-Corino over Maff was pure filler; simply a showcase for Corino. Maff and Monsta Mack should be involved in our tag division once we get it up and running, but I figured I’d give Maff a match to introduce him to the audience before that.

-CM Punk and Spanky had another solid match. But it didn’t go over quite as well as their match at The Era of Honor Begins, which was my fault. The fans did not like Colt Cabana getting involved in the finish. It seems I’ll need to try and cut back on dirty finishes in the future. I won’t get rid of them entirely, though; unclean finishes will still have a place in ROH. I’ll just need to pick my spots and be more selective with where I use them.

-Homicide and Mamaluke continued the 3-match string of good but not great matches. I’ve seen Homicide as a future major player for us since the beginning, and that hasn’t changed. Mamaluke I wasn’t as sold on, but he’s had two pretty decent outings. He may never be a headliner for us, but I could see him remaining a solid mid-card guy long-term. Plus we could always pair him up with James Maritato.

-Match of the night went to Bryan Danielson and Samoa Joe. This was very good, and closer to the quality I had in mind when I put these two together. It wasn’t as good as the triple threat from the first show or Styles/Corino from the second, but still a very good match. I look forward to seeing more from them in the future.

-I admire Low Ki for trying to work through that broken wrist; I really do. But I should’ve used my head and rescheduled the match, or at least modified the original plan and not had them go for close to 40 minutes. But he insisted he could pull off the match as planned, and I chose to let him try. It became obvious as soon as things got started that there was no way it was going to happen. Christopher Daniels did his best to improvise, switching from the faster-paced match they had planned and instead kayfabe working on Ki’s injured arm, but nothing could have saved this match. It quickly fell apart, particularly during the middle portions. It’s a shame that the first title match in our history was such a let-down. Hopefully it won’t be an ill omen.

“Sorry about the match, James.”

I finished off my notes and turned my attention to Low Ki, who had his head bowed, frowning.

“It’s OK, Ki. I appreciate that you tried your best, despite all the pain you were in. I should’ve known better than to have you even attempt it; it’s my fault.”

The words seemed to have no effect, as his mood hadn’t changed. “I promise that I’ll make this right. Put me and Daniels in there in a rematch on the next show, and—“

I cut him off with a shake of my head. “Nope, no rematches just yet. I know where I want things to go, but you’re not stepping foot in that ring again until your wrist is 100%.”

Ki made to argue that he would be fine, but a new voice caught both of our attention.

“Nice job out there, Ki. You really tore the house down.”

The obviously sarcastic voice belonged to Dan Maff. The big man slowly approached and got in Low Ki’s face.

“You sure earned that paycheck tonight, boy. With a couple more main events like that, this place will be right up there with the WWF. Good thing they’re giving you the big push instead of me.”

“You know what, Maff? You’re right; you did have the better match tonight. So kudos on being carried to a decent match by one of the best in the world. But you and I both know that if I’m 100%, there’s no comparison between us.”

“Is that right? Well, why don’t we see how well you can work with two bad arms?”

Realizing that this was about to take a turn for the worst, I stepped in between the arguing wrestlers. “Back off, Maff. I threw you a bone by booking you tonight; don’t make me regret it.”

“Oh, piss off, kid. You’re, what, 150 pounds soaking wet? Don’t push me.”

My headache only getting worse, I was not in the mood to put up with this. “Fine. Take a swing at me if you like. And when you're done, go ahead and walk out the door. Don’t bother coming back, either. You’re a mediocre wrestler to begin with. If you’re going to cause problems to boot, well, I think ROH can do without you.”

Maff took a step in my direction, but a number of his fellow wrestlers had stopped by to figure out what all the shouting was about, and they stepped in front of me protectively.

Samoa Joe got in Maff’s face. “You heard the man, Danny. Why don’t you head out before you dig yourself a bigger hole?”

Maff glared at Joe briefly before turning and heading for the exit, muttering to himself.

“Thanks for sticking up for me, boss. I don’t think I could’ve done much to defend myself with just one good arm. Maff’s more than double your weight; you really stuck your neck out for me.”

I smiled and shrugged in response to Low Ki’s thanks. “It was nothing. Just looking out for one of my top stars. I’m going to get going now; I have a killer headache. Rest up, Ki.”

After saying my thank yous to the rest of the boys who had likely saved me from a pretty severe beating, I headed out.

What a crazy night. Welcome to the strange world that is professional wrestling.

Really enjoying your take on ROH, KUTGW.

I'm loving this diary. It's a shame the grades aren't what you want but you make roh seem exactly how it should be, it's exactly how I see it being run in the early days.

Thanks for both of these comments! Good to see a couple of new faces. Well, since I've only been doing this for a little over a week, I guess everyone's a new face, really...you're just new(er) faces. And yeah, each of the last two cards hasn't gone exactly as I've planned, thanks to chemistry/injury/cheap finish issues. Hopefully the next show can go off without so many problems.

Really good show.... I've got to get some more predictions in, instead of just reading shows and not commenting... I'm a horrible reader.. lol

Predictions are more than welcome, obviously, but I won't hold it against you if you don't do them. Some people just don't like submitting predictions, which is cool. Any form of feedback is much appreciated, whether it be predictions or whatever.

So...what's going to happen with Maff now?

I canned him. When I first saw that there had been an incident after the show, I figured "Great, just pile it on after this failed show", but it wound up being a major positive: since I chose to overreact and fire Maff for starting the fight, Low Ki now has Loyalty to me.:D

I'm finalizing my plans for the next show and should be running it in-game within the next couple of hours, so expect a show preview & predictions list sometime today.

March 22nd, 2002

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/banner_ROH2.jpg

Fans in the Manhattan and Philadelphia areas have already been able to experience Ring of Honor up close and personal. Now, it's time for wrestling fans in the Boston area to see just what ROH is all about!

One week from today, on Friday, March 29th, ROH will present Boston Massacre, from the Ringside Entertainment Complex in Everett, Massachusetts. Here is a preview of the great night of wrestling action coming to Boston:

AJ Styles vs. Steve Corino

The issue between these two stems back to the very first match in ROH history, when Steve Corino felt AJ Styles disrespected him. Things have only escalated from there, and after Corino's brutal assault with a steel chair that busted Styles wide open, plus the brawl in the locker room after the show had ended, ROH officials hope that this heated issue will settle down once the final bell rings in this match.

The Amazing Red vs. Christopher Daniels

Christopher Daniels is on top of the world after defeating Low Ki and becoming the very first ROH champion. Upon being told of this upcoming non-title match with Red, Daniels arrogantly proclaimed that he would win with no trouble whatsoever. Some may argue that Daniels has earned the right to be confident, but if he underestimates the exciting young flier, he may be ripe for an upset. Red is certainly preparing as hard as he ever has, because a victory over the ROH champion would all but guarantee him a title shot in the near future.

Spanky vs. Colt Cabana

Spanky seemed to be on the verge of scoring the win against CM Punk at Crowning a Champion, but a debuting Cabana ruined that with his outside interference. Now, Spanky will get a chance to make Cabana pay. But considering that Cabana appears to be a rather comical individual, much like Spanky, perhaps this match will be more entertainment than action.

Bryan Danielson vs. James Maritato

The American Dragon has spent the past couple of shows locked in a war with the powerhouse Samoa Joe, in an issue that seems to be far from resolved. But he will need to make a major adjustment for Boston Massacre, as he will be competing against the much smaller James Maritato. Danielson is regarded by some as the best technical wrestler in the world, but Maritato is an expert technician as well. This is sure to be a superb display of mat wrestling from two of the finest grapplers in the world.

Monsta Mack vs. Samoa Joe

Following his partner Dan Maff's recent departure from ROH, Monsta Mack will attempt to go it alone. He will be in for a very rough debut, as Samoa Joe has been a very angry man for the last month or so. Joe will look to steamroll past Mack and send a statement to Bryan Danielson.

Jose Maximo vs. CM Punk

One half of the S.A.T., Jose Maximo will try his hand at singles action as he squares off with the Straight Edge Superstar, CM Punk. Punk will look to continue his winning ways against a man he may be seeing a lot more of down the road once ROH's tag team division gets into full swing.

Prediction List:

Spanky vs. Colt Cabana

Jose Maximo vs. CM Punk

I sense some Old School trickery here

Wouldn't make much sense to job out the champion right after winning the title

Spanky vs. Colt Cabana

Spanky will get the best of Colt and his tomfoolery

The American Dragon will destroy Guido

JOE'S GONNA KILL YOU!

Jose Maximo vs. CM Punk

I don't see Punk losing any steam yet, maybe an appearance by "Crazy" Ace Steel?

Just becuase Steve is a monster

Title or non title Daniels destroyes Red

Spanky vs. Colt Cabana

Colt's new, he could use a win.

He is the father of ROH, he is not gonna lose here.

I would says Joes gonna kill you but Tizzyt beat me too it, that sneaky SOB

Jose Maximo vs. CM Punk

Punk has the newer hotter tag team right now.

March 29th, 2002: Boston Massacre

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/logoROH.jpg

presents:

Boston Massacre

March 29th, 2002

From the Ringside Entertainment Complex in Everett, Massachusetts

Attendance: 141

The DVD opened in the locker room of Christopher Daniels. Daniels was relaxing on a comfortable-looking couch, the Ring of Honor championship to his left and the lovely Gail Kim to his right. He smiled into the camera before speaking.

“Hello, Ring of Honor fans, and welcome to the DVD release of Boston Massacre. Allow me to introduce myself: my name is Christopher Daniels, and I am the Ring of Honor champion. That means that I, along with Gail, call the shots around here. Many challengers will try and knock me from my perch, but one by one they will discover the same thing that Low Ki did: The Fallen Angel is the best wrestler of this generation, and I will stop at nothing to prove it.

“It begins tonight, with The Amazing Red. I’m sure Red has been psyching himself up for this match, thinking that he’ll score the biggest victory of his life, and earn a shot at the ROH title in the process. Well, just because this is a non-title match, do not make the mistake of thinking that Christopher Daniels isn’t prepared. In case you haven’t noticed, I am currently undefeated in Ring of Honor, and I do not plan to taste defeat anytime soon. So Red, take your best shot. Who knows, maybe you can manage to catch lightning in a bottle. But I seriously doubt it. All that high-flying, death-defying aerial stuff that you do won’t mean a thing when you step into the ring with me. I am the elite, I am the best of the best, and no one in ROH is man enough to stop me. And that…is the gospel…according to the Fallen Angel.”

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/BryanDanielson.jpg vs. http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/JamesMaritato.jpg

CM Punk was once again with James Hill at commentary, and it seems that he will be filling Steve Corino’s shoes as the permanent color commentator—when he’s not wrestling himself, at least.

Both of these athletes are tremendous mat wrestlers, and they put on a good display of holds and counter-holds that any fan of scientific wrestling would surely appreciate. The more experienced Maritato more than held his own on the mat with the younger Danielson. The fans were clearly behind Danielson, but Maritato earned some support as well with his performance.

After a nice back-and-forth exchange, Maritato floored Danielson with a Sicilian Slice that got a near-fall. The former ECW tag champion climbed to the top rope and tried a flying variation of the maneuver, but Danielson caught him in mid-flight with a European uppercut to the jaw. The American Dragon wasted no time in locking on the Cattle Mutilation and scoring the submission victory.

Winner: Bryan Danielson in 15:51 with the Cattle Mutilation

As Bryan Danielson made his way back towards the locker rooms, Samoa Joe came to the ring prematurely for the next match. They met in the aisle, and stopped to stare each other down. Joe was very vocal, and while the cameras couldn’t make out his words, it was clear from his movements and hand gestures that he was referencing the end of their match at Crowning a Champion, where Joe had Danielson locked in the rear naked choke as the time limit expired. Danielson didn’t back down, and his body language seemed to suggest that he would be more than willing to fight Joe once again. After a tense stare-down, Joe finally moved on, but not before bumping The American Dragon none-too-gently with his shoulder.

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/MonstaMack.jpg vs. http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/SamoaJoe.jpg

Monsta Mack may be a match for Samoa Joe in terms of size, but Joe demonstrated from the opening bell that they are worlds apart in every other definable category. The Samoan Submission Machine manhandled Mack for the entirety of the match, pummeling him with hard strikes, stretching him with submissions, and even lifting the big man in the air for some power moves. After dropping Mack on the back of his head with a huge powerbomb, Joe mercifully put his victim out of his misery with a Rear Naked Choke.

Winner: Samoa Joe in 09:35 with a Rear Naked Choke

Spanky vs. Colt Cabana

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/Spanky.jpg vs. http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/ColtCabana2.jpg

Colt came to the ring wearing a pair of oversized sunglasses, much to his partner CM Punk’s dismay. Punk got up from his seat and yanked the glasses off, throwing them into the crowd.

Cabana and Spanky seemed to be speaking the same language; both men would seamlessly transition from athletic competition to comedic entertainment without skipping a beat. Spanky pulled off a convincing impression of CM Punk, which the color commentator was less than pleased with. Cabana seemed to take Spanky’s name quite literally, as after knocking him to the mat with a lariat, he actually gave him a few spanks to the butt. Punk put his head down on the announce table, disgusted.

While both Cabana and Spanky may love to entertain, they are still competitors. As the match went on the comedy fell by the wayside as both men went for the win. The match could have gone either way, but Cabana ultimately prevailed with the Colt 45.

Winner: Colt Cabana in 15:26 with the Colt 45

After the match, Colt Cabana motioned for CM Punk to enter the ring. Colt reached into his tights and Punk smiled, believing that his partner was pulling out an object to beat Spanky with. His happiness disappeared when he saw that Colt had actually pulled out a second pair of oversized sunglasses, which he tried to convince Punk to wear. Punk slapped the glasses out of Colt’s hand, and shouted at him to get serious. Punk proceeded to put the boots to the fallen Spanky. After standing to the side and observing the beat-down for a few moments, Colt shrugged his shoulders and joined in, helping his partner beat on Spanky until officials and staff chased them off.

--

“James Hill here at intermission with AJ Styles. AJ, your problems with Steve Corino escalated to another level at Crowning a Champion, when he ambushed you with a steel chair after your match, causing you to bleed profusely. Tonight you get a shot at retribution, as you and Corino will go one on one in the main event. What’s your mindset?”

“What’s my mindset? It’s simple; I’m here to shut Corino up and get him off my back. You know, he keeps saying that I’m some punk kid who doesn’t show respect to people, him especially. But he’s wrong. If somebody deserves my respect, I’ll be happy to give it to them. But Corino, he hasn’t done anything to earn my respect. First he freaks out when I accidentally bump into him during my match at The Era of Honor Begins. Then, after I beat him fair and square at Road to the Title, he taunts me when I lose later in the night. And like you said, at Crowning a Champion, he attacked me from behind with a chair.”

AJ paused and pointed to his forehead, emphasizing his scarred-over flesh. “Tell me, Corino, how does sneaking up on somebody and bashing ‘em in the head with a chair make you a guy that deserves respect? To me, that just makes you a coward. If you want my respect, stop whining about it and earn it in the ring. But if I go out tonight and beat you for the second time in a row, maybe YOU’LL learn to respect ME.”

--

Jose Maximo vs. CM Punk

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/JoseMaximo.jpg vs. http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/CMPunk.jpg

Colt Cabana filled in for his partner Punk on color commentary during this match.

Jose & his brother Joel may become cornerstones of ROH’s tag division once it gets going, but neither of them have much experience as singles wrestlers. Punk used this fact to his advantage, keeping the pressure on Jose for the duration and never allowing him the breaks in action that he would normally get in a tag team match.

Maximo lacks singles experience, but he is still a tremendous young athlete. He was able to hold his own against Punk, and very nearly won the match after an innovative swinging belly to back suplex. Jose tried to press his advantage with a hurracanrana, but Punk shoved him away and scored with a Shining Wizard. Jose managed to kick out, though, and a frustrated Punk scaled the turnbuckles. Jose recovered in time to cut Punk off and shake the ropes, causing him to lose his balance and crotch himself on the buckle. Jose attempted to put Punk away with a one-man version of the SAT’s patented Spanish Fly, but the Straight Edge Superstar fought it off and instead picked up the win for himself after the Pepsi Plunge.

Winner: CM Punk in 13:46 with the Pepsi Plunge

The Amazing Red vs. Christopher Daniels (w/Gail Kim)

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/AmazingRed.jpg vs. http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/ChristopherDaniels2.jpg

As soon as the opening bell rang, Red charged full-speed at Daniels and stunned the ROH champion with a spinning heel kick. Red did not let up, throwing everything he had at The Fallen Angel in an effort to score a quick pin-fall. Daniels was clearly not expecting such an immediate offensive flurry, as he had no answer for Red’s breakneck pace in the early going. The all-out strategy nearly paid dividends, as Red got multiple near-falls early in the match.

The champ was finally able to get into the match when he used a running Red’s own momentum against him with a Blue Thunder bomb. From there, Daniels was able to slow the pace of the match down, as he kept Red grounded for several minutes. But when Daniels tried for his own aerial move, a quebrada moonsault, Red rolled out of the way.

Daniels just barely got his shoulders off of the mat after a Red Star Press, and Red tried to follow up by leaping onto Daniels’ shoulders in a victory roll position. The ROH champion managed to fight him off, and Red wound up hopping off and landing on his feet right in front of his opponent. Daniels saw an opportunity and snatched it, driving Red to the mat with the Last Rites to keep his momentum going.

Winner: Christopher Daniels in 18:22 with the Last Rites

AJ Styles (w/Alexis Laree) vs. Steve Corino

http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/AJStyles.jpg vs. http://i588.photobucket.com/albums/ss322/FCDiary/SteveCorino.jpg

Steve Corino brought the dented and blood-splattered steel chair from Crowning a Champion with him, and used it to taunt AJ Styles as they stood in center-ring prior to the match. AJ simply glared at him in response.

This was a much more physical and intense match-up then the first bout between these two. The athletic talents of AJ Styles and the ring smarts of Steve Corino were still on display, but there were plenty of punches thrown as well.

Corino attempted a piledriver, but Styles showed his ring awareness by back bodydropping The King of Old School over the top rope and onto the floor. AJ pounced, executing a picture-perfect somersault plancha to the floor. On his way down, however, Styles landed on his left knee awkwardly.

Styles’ mishap did not go unnoticed by Corino. Being the savvy veteran that he is, Corino adjusted his game plan, focusing on the left knee from that point forward. He went after the weakened knee with everything from spinning toeholds, to single-leg Boston crabs, to figure 4 leglocks. But Styles showed tremendous tenacity, refusing to quit no matter how much damage his rival inflicted on his knee.

Corino kept to his strategy, but Styles fought on. When Corino ran off the ropes, AJ managed to catch him with a discus lariat that caused him to flip over and land on his stomach. Ignoring his pain, Styles went on a roll, trying to win the match while he had an opening. In particular, a Tornado DDT and a frog splash nearly finished the match off. Corino hung around, though, and AJ’s injured knee eventually caught up to him. When he lifted Corino into the air for a brainbuster attempt, his knee buckled under the weight. Styles struggled back to his feet, only for Corino to take his wheels out with a chop block to the knee. After a couple of kicks to the knee for good measure, Corino put a game Styles away with the Old School Expulsion.

Winner: Steve Corino in 25:23 with the Old School Expulsion

Alexis Laree helped AJ Styles stagger to his feet. They prepared to exit the ring, when Steve Corino smashed the dented steel chair into AJ’s injured knee. Alexis tried to protect her fallen friend, but Corino pie-faced her down. After kicking the protesting referee in the gut and chucking him over the top rope, Corino once again brought the chair down on Styles’ knee. Corino was merciless, slamming the chair into the knee several more times before finally relenting. AJ screamed and writhed in agony, while Corino shouted down at him, “Do you respect me yet?!” The Amazing Red sprinted out to the ring, with a group of staff and medical personnel following close behind. Corino slunk out of the ring before they arrived, taking the chair with him. Red, Alexis Laree and the others attended to the injured Styles as the live show ended.

--

Ricky Steamboat was irate. He marched with purpose towards the locker room of Steve Corino, not even bothering to knock on the door. Corino turned around at the sound, a casual look on his face.

“Well, if it isn’t “The Dragon” himself. What can I do for you, old man?”

Steamboat stared at Corino, disbelief on his face. “Are you serious? Do you really not know why I’m here?” he spat out.

“Enlighten me.”

“You assaulted a defenseless man with a steel chair!”

Corino shrugged. “Oh, that? I just had to teach a punk kid a little lesson in respect. No big deal. Hopefully he got the message this time, because—“

“Enough!” Steamboat shouted. “I created Ring of Honor because I was sick and tired of cowards taking the easy way out, and not acting like men! This is supposed to be a place where the greatest wrestlers in the world come together and put on great matches, and carry themselves with pride and dignity! There is no place in ROH for the kind of stunt that you pulled out there tonight!”

“And what’re you gonna do about it, Steamboat? It’s no secret that I’m the biggest star you’ve got. Whether they love me or they hate me, people pay to see me up close and in person. Face it; you need me.”

Steamboat shook his head. “You’re a great wrestler; I won’t deny it. That's why I tried to allow you and AJ to settle your problems in the ring. But I cannot allow an act like this to go unpunished. Consider yourself suspended until further notice.”

The look of indifference that had been on Corino’s face vanished, replaced by shock and outrage. “EXCUSE ME?! You think you’re going to suspend me?! I don’t think so! We have a binding agreement! If you even think about trying to keep me out, I will sue you for everything you’re worth! Don’t push me, Steamboat, I’m warning you!”

Officials had to restrain Corino from going after the ROH founder. He continued to rant and rave until he was led out of the building.

Quick Results:

Bryan Danielson over James Maritato

Samoa Joe over Monsta Mack

Colt Cabana over Spanky

CM Punk over Jose Maximo

Christopher Daniels over The Amazing Red

Steve Corino over AJ Styles

TheBrockLock: 6-0

tizzyt: 5-1

Congrats to TheBrockLock on being the first person to have a perfect show.

Boston Massacre: Wrap-up

March 29th, 2002

10:38 p.m.

“How did I do? Did I sell the leg enough?”

“It was fine, AJ. You and Steve told the story I was aiming for.”

“Yeah? The fans didn’t seem to go for it.”

I smiled ruefully and shook my head. “They’re picky. But despite that, I still feel that angles are a necessary aspect of our company. If we did nothing but straightforward wrestling matches, things would get bland pretty quickly.”

AJ Styles nodded his head in agreement. “Yup, I think so too. Hopefully our fans will realize that pretty soon. So anyway, have you figured out when I’ll be coming back?”

I shook my head. “I have a vague idea, but I’m not 100% certain yet. It definitely won’t be on the next show, though. It’s just like they say; the middle part of a story is the hardest to tell. I know how I want things to end with you and Steve; it’s just a matter of figuring out how we’re going to get there.”

“Well, alright. I guess you can just gimme a call when you’ve got all the details worked out?”

“Sure thing, AJ. Once I’ve got the whole thing finalized, you’ll be the first to know.”

AJ nodded his acceptance before saying his goodbyes, and I sat back in satisfaction. Even with two of our best workers having off nights, I still felt that the show had been a success.

-The normally excellent Bryan Danielson had a bit of an off night, unfortunately. But he and James Maritato still had a nice match full of crisp mat wrestling. I’d like to see what these two could do when Danielson is at the top of his game, so future matches are a definite possibility.

-After firing his partner Dan Maff, I didn’t see much in the future of Monsta Mack. I figured I’d at least give him a shot, and gave him the match with Samoa Joe to give him a chance to impress me. He didn’t. All I asked him to do was sell Joe’s ass-kicking, and he did a rather poor job of it. Just like his partner Maff, Mack is about to become a one-and-done member of ROH.

-Spanky and Colt Cabana had a good match. They both have very goofy characters, so that obviously played into the match, but they did a nice job of transitioning into a more serious match towards the end. Now it’s time for the odds to be evened up in Spanky’s battle with the Saints.

-I don’t think anybody really bought Jose Maximo as a serious threat to beat CM Punk in a singles match, but they had an OK match regardless. I’m looking forward to getting our tag team division established soon, so guys like the Maximos and the Briscoes can become a more important part of our shows.

-Christopher Daniels vs. Red was basically just a filler match to hold Daniels over for this show, but it was a very good match regardless. Despite the loss, I think Red exits the match looking stronger than he did coming into it. That’s the mark of a great champion.

-Steve Corino was really off of his game, sadly. As a result, the main event wasn’t all it could’ve been. It was still very good, but not up to the standard established by their first match. Oh well. Hopefully things will go more smoothly in the latter match(es) of the feud.

After two straight shows that didn’t live up to my own expectations, it was a relief to feel like things had gotten back on the right track. We at least equaled The Era of Honor Begins, and if Corino had brought his usual performance, we would’ve surpassed it.

Around the wrestling world in March 2002

News & Notes: March 2002

-Japanese TV network Nippon TV removed Pro Wrestling NOAH’s show, NOAH Di Colosseo, from their schedule.

-NJPW’s vacant IWGP World Tag Team Championships were claimed by the odd couple of Yuji Nagata and Giant Singh, who defeated Tenzan and Nishimura to win the belts.

-Genichiro Tenryu and Abdullah The Butcher retired from active wrestling.

-AJPW held their annual Champion’s Carnival tournament. “Dr. Death” Steve Williams won, beating Bryan “Wrath” Clark in the finals.

-Jushin “Thunder” Liger and Tiger Mask IV captured the IWGP Junior Heavyweight tag titles from Kanemoto & El Samurai.

-Ric Flair officially retired from active in-ring competition, and was quickly named the new color commentator for RAW, where he works alongside Jim Ross.

-The WWF presented Wrestlemania 18 on Sunday, March 31st. There were a whopping 7 title matches, including Chris Jericho retaining the Undisputed Championship over Kurt Angle in the main event of the evening. The…bizarre tag team of Chris Benoit and Goldust won the vacant Tag Team championships.

-Genichiro Tenryu and Abdullah The Butcher retired from active wrestling.

-Ric Flair officially retired from active in-ring competition, and was quickly named the new color commentator for RAW, where he works alongside Jim Ross.

In the real world these retirements would last for like a few months, lol.

Archived