Uriah Faber

JTandSilentBob

I recently watched the fight between Faber and Jens Pulver. The entire time the announcers were talking about how great Faber is, blah blah blah.

I don't see it. His guard looks extremely weak and my opinion is that if Pulver was just a tad more aggressive he could have knocked him out.

I also feel that he is extremely c0cky. At times he simply walks away from his opponent and even does the "hang ten" sign or whatever before the fight is even over.

Does anyone else this or was he just off his game for this fight?

Is that the only Urijah Faber fight you have watched? They talk about how great he is because of the 13 fight win streak he had and how dominate he was as most of his fights didn't make it out of the first round and the Pulver fight was the only one going to decision.

Also, what Faber/Pulver fight was this? It sounds like one because you noted the hang ten sign before he won. If you watched the rematch, he won in 1:34.

I'm not neccessarily his biggest fan and if you don't like a fighter that's fine, but don't judge him by one fight showing your lack of knowledge for the sport. He is also one of the biggest reasons the WEC is relative so he has done alot for the sport brining attention to it on free tv.

Faber's relies on his great conditioning which allows him to pretty much go all out for the length of the fight, his ground control due to his wrestling, and in recent fights he has developed the sort of over hand unique striking ability. Not really sure what you mean by his weak guard as I haven't seen that fight in awhile and he has been known to work over blackbelts (Curran and others) especially in teaching seminars.

Faber's experience in Bali, an island in Indonesia, 1 1/2 years ago is comparable to a Hollywood action movie, but so outlandish it has to be true. He went by himself to a nightclub, and after a patron stared Faber down, pushed him and wanted to fight, they met outside to battle. Faber was attacked by several people, eventually hit with brass knuckles, a rock and bottle. He ran into the club, covered in blood, and was attacked by 12 people, including the bouncers. He eventually ran down the street, was chased and had to fight in a store, before running away and fleeing the scene in a taxi. Seven stitches in the head later, Faber returned home.

Close to beating them... more like.. got beat down by everyone in Bali. >_>

Your absolutely right I don't know much about the sport. I have only seen this fight, that I remember. I was simply going by my first impression of him and was wondering if it was true.

I also didn't say I didn't like him. In all honestly the fight I saw was the first full MMA fight I've ever really cared to watch, whether it was because I thought he had a unique look to him that caught my eye or whether it was exciting to me I dunno. Typically I don't even enjoy MMA and would rather watch my wrestling, but this particular match has made me want more.

As for the spelling, I looked at a few web sites, some had it spelled Urijah, and some had it spelled Uriah. My bad.

Close to beating them... more like.. got beat down by everyone in Bali. >_>

Haha, now I know the whole story. They had h im on a radio show down here promoting the fight at the Hard Rock last September (?), and the hosts kept referring to him as "the ultimate badass" or something to that effect, saying he had fought off I forget how many people in the street once.

Dang, only 7 stitches after all that, I guess he IS a real badass.

Haha, now I know the whole story. They had h im on a radio show down here promoting the fight at the Hard Rock last September (?), and the hosts kept referring to him as "the ultimate badass" or something to that effect, saying he had fought off I forget how many people in the street once.

Dang, only 7 stitches after all that, I guess he IS a real badass.

Here's a video of him talking about it. He starts talking about it at 1:55

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOQLg7Kc8So

So they are building this guy up based on a fight in a bar in Bali? :confused:

Do they realize the average male from Bali is about 5'2" 110lbs and a chainsmoker?

I should have also mentioned that the same hosts have an unhealthy fascination with Chuck Norris, and thought that Kimbo Slice was a worldbeater (the show is in Miami). Their Chuck Norris love remains, but the whole Kimbo Slice thing was put to rest in about 14 seconds one night. Thank goodness for that.

Faber is the man. You should see his second fight with Pulver, rather than the first. Assuming you watched the first and that's what you're talking about though.

So yeah man, I can understand the impression from one fight, but in reality he is a tank.

Also, neat to hear you're getting into MMA. There is plenty of good stuff to check out that can introduce you well to it.

If you're looking to get into MMA this a site I watch videos on. I am sure there are better ones out there because this one links you to others but you get the idea. http://www.mmatko.com/category/fight-videos/

If I were you I would try to watch alot of knock outs and submissions to try and see what you personally like more since I thought I liked KO's from watching boxing but turns out I would rather see some one tap any night. Fighters like Dustin Hazelett and Damian Maia are great submission fighters so watching their fights gives you a good view.

As far as Knock outs/striking, the options are alot more open but consistency wise, Rob McCullough's fights are usually good striking contests since he's a world muay thai champ and of course Chuck Liddell has some amazing knock outs including my all time favorite against Randy Couture since alot of KO's are by luck but he dodged, angled, timed and aimed that punch perfectly.

As far as exciting fighters in general, Anderson Silva fights are always entetaining, Wanderlei Silva has some great ones, I enjoy Tito's older fights, the list goes on and on so just search for fighters or whatever and you can find a lot.

Finally, what I found helped me alot is to start "learning" the sport. In my case, I live in in a small conservative town where no MMA is offered (I'm moving in May and will look to take up classes in a bigger town) so instead I watch alot of technique videos online. For example I saw someone do an omoplata and didn't know what it was so I watched a GSP you tube video on it and by doing stuff like that you get a much better understanding of the sport.

Wathcing the UFC Unleashed is great too because those are usually a compiliation of good fights and I really like Joe Rogan as an announcer since he's good at explaining things but is also funny. Watching a marathon in one day will vastly increase your knowledge of the sport.

Archived