Diary Preview Thread

<p>This isn't a preview. Probably more of just a rant...</p><p> </p><p>

I'll start by saying that I have no desire to end Generation Supreme. I'm just hitting the end of 2008, and I have solid booking plans in place for the first half of the 2009 and tentatively for the last half. More than that, I have stories I still want to tell and I'm enjoying it. </p><p> </p><p>

That said, I am often no better than an inftant who sees a shiny object - I must have it... until I see another shiny object. Except my shiny objects are ideas. Its a problem that has always plagued me on sports sim games and whenever I've run franchise/dynasties/diaries before - no matter how well things are going and how much I'm enjoying it, I always find myself tempted by new ideas. I almost never last more than a season playing Football Manager because of this. I have even avoided starting up any "serious" new games in TEW for a long time, because I didn't want to find one that took me away from the SWF. </p><p> </p><p>

So I am quite literally shocked that I have made it (nearly) a full year in the game. And close to a year diary-wise as well. Which isn't to say I haven't been tempted. I came close to starting over with the SWF at one point (for reasons I can't even recall entirely). I almost started a TCW diary about 2-3 months ago. I got going with the TCW game very nicely and went so far as to get some custom graphics done off-site, with a diary in mind. With that, it was basically that I had come up with what I thought was a good "vision" of TCW and wanted to share that in a diary. The only thing that held me back was that I knew I couldn't run two at once and I really did not want to end Gen-S. I'm glad I held back, as Phantom Stranger, Zeel1, and Astil all have some good work going on with TCW. </p><p> </p><p>

Now, I've never done much with real world mods in TEW, either historical or modern day. I've downloaded many and played around, but never really played too long into the game. I find the C-V more fun in that regard. I guess that extends to diary reading, as it seems that I take longer before a new RW diary a chance - this, despite the prevelence of many very good RW diaries on this board... Nevermore, Tristam, iMac, keefmoon, Countdown, dse81, Wildire, Hyde Hill, and more. Yet a shiny new CV-based diary is more likely to catch my attention than a RW one and I can't entirely explain why.</p><p> </p><p>

Last weekend, I decided to load up the current day WWE in a mod I had downloaded at some point. I started playing around a bit. That led to one idea. Which led to another idea. Of course, simply playing the game with these ideas doesn't seem like enough. I know have a complusive need to share, so many of the ideas are based around the intent of a diary. So for over the past week, I have spent quite a lot of time diddling around with this game and these ideas. Always with the thought of a diary in the back of my mind, yet knowing full well that a diary is a bad idea. Same as with TCW, I cannot think I would do well with two diaries at once and I do not want to end Generation Supreme. </p><p> </p><p>

I've never really had any temptation to do a real world diary, let alone a current day WWE one. Now, I'm fighting hard to resist the urge. I should have a couple of hours tonight which I should use to finish up the Supreme TV show I've been working on. Instead, I'll probably spent half that time playing around with that WWE game. </p><p> </p><p>

That's my rant.</p>

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<p>Having just recently bought the game, I've got the idea of setting up a diary and running one as TCW. The one drawback is that a lot of TCW diaries are cropping up recently, and especially Phantom's and Zeel's are superb, so I'd just be wondering if anyone would be up for taking a chance on yet another TCW diary. Here's a preview anyhow.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="22618" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>What preludes to this exact point is a long story. A story far too long to tell in text, and far longer than you'd probably want to read. To summarize, my name is Matthew Lazzara. I was born in Manhattan twenty-three years ago and for as long as I can remember I've been a wrestler. It all started by watching Dan Stone Sr. go one-on-one with Crippler Ray Kingman on a tape from a California Pro Wrestling show back in '78. Wrestling became the one passion in my life, becoming probably the biggest Sam Keith mark on the planet. I watched on in anticipation was Hollyweird Grappling Company opened in '97 and gave us the next chapter of Strong versus Chord. In 2004, I made my professional wrestling debut on an independent show against Leo Davis. I spent the next few years at seminars, at training camps, doing whatever I could to get near anyone with experience. As a result, I became one of the most talked about talents on the independent scene in a long time. In 2007, I wrestled a few undercard matches for DaVE in there dying days, where Phil Vibert praised not only my skills, but my mind for the business. Once DaVE died, so did my job. So, I sat at home for a while, wrestled on your occasional independent show, a Coastal Zone bout here and there, just some work here and there. All this, though, is kind of irrelevant as its what its led too that’s the most interesting part.<p> </p><p> It seems a few of my tapes, probably my best matches that had people put such honors on me as 'the next generation of wrestler', somehow found their way into the hands of Joel Bryant, and by relation, Tommy Cornell. So, a few days later I'm down in Hollywood, across a desk from the infamous 'Rough Justice' himself.</p><p> </p><p> "<span style="color:#2E8B57;">Well, Mr. Lazzara. Your record is extremely impressive kid. I don't do this very often, and you better believe that, but I'm actually going to offer you a job wrestling for my promotion. Straight to the main roster as well, sunshine. What do you think?</span>"</p><p> </p><p> I don't know what I was thinking. Hell, sat across a table from a man who is the figurehead of your profession, I don't know what anyone would think. Not thinking though, allowed my mouth to speak for itself.</p><p> </p><p> "<span style="color:#2E8B57;">If I sign to your company, I'd like to request a spot on creative before I start getting in the ring.</span>" Cornell's eyes widened, stunned at my proclamation.</p><p> </p><p> "<span style="color:#2E8B57;">What in the bloody hell makes you think you'd get a spot on creative?</span>" he asked in his trademark half British, half Californian drawl.</p><p> </p><p> "<span style="color:#2E8B57;">Things in your company are going well, Mr. Cornell. Better than they may have ever been. The Syndicate storyline is hot, there are plenty of great stars but, and I'm not trying to offend here, but it seems like after this, your ideas have stalled.</span>" I knew I was on thin ice, but I knew I could help TCW if only Tommy would take a chance. "<span style="color:#2E8B57;">I'm not asking to take over your company, sir. I'll work under Joel and whoever else, but you've seem my reccomendations; Phil Vibert, some say the most creative mind ever in the business. Ask Joey, he'll tell you from my time there I probably gave DaVE another three months. By the time I joined they were terminal but I could've turned it around. I know that I can help you, and more importantly, I can help you gain on Eisen.</span>" The look of shock on Cornell's face started to change to one of intrigue at the mention of Richard Eisen and the possibility of edging closer to Supreme. Tommy raised an eyebrow, looking down at the sheet in front of him.</p><p> </p><p> "<span style="color:#2E8B57;">Listen, kid. What you've just done here, is pretty stupid to be honest with ya. But ...at the same time, you've got balls kid. I like that about you, and I could use somebody like that on creative. Besides, you're a big target for our company and if giving you a spot on creative is what gets you to join?</span>"</p><p> </p><p> "<span style="color:#2E8B57;">It certainly is, Mr. Cornell.</span>"</p><p> </p><p> "<span style="color:#2E8B57;">Well in that case ...</span>" Cornell stood up and extended a hand. "<span style="color:#2E8B57;">Welcome to Total Championship Wrestling.</span>"</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> It's not much and a bit generic, but give it time and hopefully it will develop into something much better.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="tizzyt" data-cite="tizzyt" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="22618" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I personally hate asking people for advice - but I'm going to do it - anything that anyone can suggest for my Broken Road to Wrestlemania diary? <p> </p><p> <a href="http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39011" rel="external nofollow">WWE : Broken Road to Wrestlemania</a></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> What type of suggestions are you looking for, specifically?</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Bigpapa42" data-cite="Bigpapa42" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="22618" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>What type of suggestions are you looking for, specifically?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Anything honestly... If there's something that needs to change, something that should be added.... stuff like that... i've been playing around with formats, hoping to find a good one that fits for the weekly shows (let's face it, I can't write 16 awesome write ups for weekly shows per month and then bang out an extraordinary PPV and not get burned out within the first 2 months of shows) </p><p> </p><p> So I guess just what works for what I've done so far, what doesn't, I guess criticism all around so I can improve my diary as I lead into the first PPV and beyond</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="tizzyt" data-cite="tizzyt" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="22618" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Anything honestly... If there's something that needs to change, something that should be added.... stuff like that... i've been playing around with formats, hoping to find a good one that fits for the weekly shows (let's face it, I can't write 16 awesome write ups for weekly shows per month and then bang out an extraordinary PPV and not get burned out within the first 2 months of shows) <p> </p><p> So I guess just what works for what I've done so far, what doesn't, I guess criticism all around so I can improve my diary as I lead into the first PPV and beyond</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Well, I honestly don't see anything wrong with how you've done things so far. The first two shows were a bit tougher to read, I found. The most recent Raw, SD, and ECW is a layout I like more. I like that concise, direct approach. I find its both efficient and effective, especially for RW diaries. Particuarly with the WWE, most readers know the characters, gimmicks, etc, so I think it works. I would like to see more detail and long match write-ups when it comes to the pay per views, but it wouldn't be wrong to stick with the overview format either. </p><p> </p><p> I usually have a slight preference for the use of graphics (individual images, etc) in a diary, but I don't know if its worth the extra time. If the time it takes to put the shows together is a concern, going with just a few graphics is an effective way to save time. </p><p> </p><p> With the first person posts, I would be careful with using long paragraphs. One or two bigger ones isn't bad, but several can start to look like wall of text. The last couple have been better in that regard. </p><p> </p><p> You seem to have a good start. Its just a matter of keeping things rolling. It takes time to build a regular reader base, so keep at it and it will come. If you more specific questions, either ask here or PM me.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Bigpapa42" data-cite="Bigpapa42" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="22618" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>This isn't a preview. Probably more of just a rant...<p> </p><p> </p><p> Now, I've never done much with real world mods in TEW, either historical or modern day. I've downloaded many and played around, but never really played too long into the game. I find the C-V more fun in that regard. I guess that extends to diary reading, as it seems that I take longer before a new RW diary a chance - this, despite the prevelence of many very good RW diaries on this board... <strong>Nevermore, Tristam, iMac, keefmoon, Countdown, dse81, Wildire, Hyde Hill, </strong>and more. Yet a shiny new CV-based diary is more likely to catch my attention than a RW one and I can't entirely explain why.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> That's my rant.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Man, that is quite an honour and humbling to be named in such an esteemed line-up thanks man. </p><p> </p><p> Slammiversary should be up tomorrow night as have just returned from my mom having spent a week there and she has stone age internet and no english grammer check on word.</p>

I think I just came up with the greatest wrestling TV-show concept ever.

Sadly, it's not suitable for BHOTWG. Curses! I love these moments when my mind wanders of to it's own tracks and I just have to follow, pursuit it and try to keep up with it's speed. :D

Sadly, it's not suitable for BHOTWG. Curses! I love these moments when my mind wanders of to it's own tracks and I just have to follow, pursuit it and try to keep up with it's speed. :D

do what's the concept?

I'm not going to tell. :D Until, IF, I'm ever gonna start the diary. I have the perfect promotion for it in my mind. The whole idea has just exploded and I've written a lot of material for it already. Sadly the wriging on Burning Hammer halted because of the side project but I think I can finish the show today..

You tease!!!!

I'm having tons of fun with the NYCW diary now that I think I've found the correct match recap style for normal matches, but like FIN my mind wanders.

The idea is real sketchy in the execution of the backstory and "backstage" segments, but I was thinking about doing more or less a tour of the War of Immortals mod. Think what J Silver did with the Cornellverse before being able to purchase the game and then found his grove with USPW.

Besides figuring out if I want to go Quantum Leap or Q or just go with a more straight forword approach, I also need some ideas of which promotions to do. They all look so good! :)

Would anyone be interested in something like this?

Edit: Here is the link to the mod's hype thread for those of you that need a refresher on the mod itself.

• 2 weeks later...

Um.... I dunno if this is the right place for this, but I just kinda wanted to say hi after being away for nearly 3 months. So.... hullo everyone! Hopefully someone still remembers me! :o

Anyway, back from my travels around the US of A and it's nice to see the ol' forum is still ticking away. So much reading for me to catch up on, but I'm sure it'll be fun! Hopefully I can start contributing something to the forum again, even it is just predictions.

It feels good to be back GDS!

Um.... I dunno if this is the right place for this, but I just kinda wanted to say hi after being away for nearly 3 months. So.... hullo everyone! Hopefully someone still remembers me! :o

Anyway, back from my travels around the US of A and it's nice to see the ol' forum is still ticking away. So much reading for me to catch up on, but I'm sure it'll be fun! Hopefully I can start contributing something to the forum again, even it is just predictions.

It feels good to be back GDS!

iMac! Good to see you back.

Any thoughts on getting Next Gen back up and running? I loved the WM you did and am eager to see what you had planned beyond that...

iMac! Good to see you back.

Any thoughts on getting Next Gen back up and running? I loved the WM you did and am eager to see what you had planned beyond that...

Thanks for the Mania praise man. As for Next Gen coming back... maybe. Not for a couple of weeks anyway. I dunno what (if anything) I want to do on the forums right now. For now I'll just be a reader and enjoy seeing what everyone else has to offer. :)

Alright, here's a question (well, more of a discussion opener in a way, but yeah).

I'm getting ready to write for Sammy Bach in my diary (as yet to debut, but he will this saturday. Don't worry about me not having done it yet, i can do a show or two in a single day :p), and i'm wondering what style to write him in.

I quite like Phantom Stranger's portrayal, and i'm definitely going for a variation on the 'spaced-out rock god' gimmick, but perhaps throwing in a bit of Raven-esque mind games (his first feud will be Whistler if that's any help), and yeah. Just wondering how to go about it, as he will be quite a big character. I've got plans and all that, just need help on the writing.

Any tips?

I'm having tons of fun with the NYCW diary now that I think I've found the correct match recap style for normal matches, but like FIN my mind wanders.

The idea is real sketchy in the execution of the backstory and "backstage" segments, but I was thinking about doing more or less a tour of the War of Immortals mod. Think what J Silver did with the Cornellverse before being able to purchase the game and then found his grove with USPW.

Besides figuring out if I want to go Quantum Leap or Q or just go with a more straight forword approach, I also need some ideas of which promotions to do. They all look so good! :)

Would anyone be interested in something like this?

Edit: Here is the link to the mod's hype thread for those of you that need a refresher on the mod itself.

I'd be on board. I'm surprised no one's taken a shot at a diary with WOTI. I had the beginnings of the beginnings of something before my comp died a couple months ago :( and I haven't gotten back to restarting it yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Figured I would throw this quesiton out in here, just to see what people think...

My Generation Supreme diary is winding down. Unless I am hit by an utterly unexpected bit of renewed desire, its going to go on haitus soon enough. I will honestly be surprised if I continue with it beyond that. But my point here isn't to complain about my lack of motivation in that regard... Its a slight odd question...

Although I was not intended to start another project while Gen-S is on break, I find the temptation to do a current-day WWE game quite appealing. Dealing with the tri-brand WWE roster is much less cumbersome than what I was having to do with my SWF game. The "problem" is that I really don't know that I want to run the game on TEW 2008. As much as I love TEW 2008 and there are some really good real world mods, the simplicity of doing it on EWR is very appealing. I want to do a project that is more streamlined and simple (which sounds odd to say, given it would have 3 brands and 4 weekly shows). And having tested games on both, EWR feels much more simple in that regard. I realize that overall, TEW08 is the better game. But I just feel like I get bogged down by gameplay concerns moreso - an aspect I normally like. But for this game, it just doesn't feel right. I've gone back and forth between the games a bunch, and I keep coming back to EWR feeling "right". It "flows" moreso, and that's key.

My initial thought was that if I do a diary for the game using EWR, it will be on another site. But after mentioning it in the Gen-S thread, it was commented that some readers would still want it here. Which I appreciate, but I thought I would get people's opinions on it here. I know there have been some long-running diaries here that started on earlier versions, but I think that's a bit different. Would people have a problem with an EWR-based diary being posted here?

Definitely not. When I read a person's diary I don't give a rats about the ratings of the segments. I like seeing and hearing wrestler skill development, but at the end of the day to me its about having an enjoyable, intriguing story. keefmoon wrote an unbelievable WWF diary ... without a sim at all. I was concerned that the randomness of the world TEW throws up would affect his story, but he made enough incidents to keep it very realistic. My diary is TEW05 because I find it easier to book off it, can't explain why, it just suits my style (or lack thereof?) better.

As Zoolander would say, do it. Do it!

Not for me, but just as a suggestion, consider running a couple of months of gametime as a non-WWE company before you commit to the diary.

I don't know if you've been playing EWR alongside TEW, but I can't imagine moving back (I can't imagine moving back to '05, for that matter). Although EWR had its plus points, I just don't think I could work within its limitations (not the least of which is the two brand limit).

That said, if you do go for it, then we want a clear delineation between Raw and Smackdown, cruiserweights, real tag divisions and a Jimmy Yang* megapush. Such, after all, is the way that all WWEWR diaries go...

* replace Jimmy Yang with 'underrated' roster member of your choice

Not for me, but just as a suggestion, consider running a couple of months of gametime as a non-WWE company before you commit to the diary.

I don't know if you've been playing EWR alongside TEW, but I can't imagine moving back (I can't imagine moving back to '05, for that matter). Although EWR had its plus points, I just don't think I could work within its limitations (not the least of which is the two brand limit).

That said, if you do go for it, then we want a clear delineation between Raw and Smackdown, cruiserweights, real tag divisions and a Jimmy Yang* megapush. Such, after all, is the way that all WWEWR diaries go...

* replace Jimmy Yang with 'underrated' roster member of your choice

If the crusierweight division returns, I'll riot. There is no reason for in WWE right now. Most of the title holders in the company would be or have been considered cruisers/lightweights.

*goes back to working on his HGC diary that will feature a Cruiserweight division*

What?

Archived