GDS Fantasy Football League 2009

mjdgoldeneye

After dealing with all sorts of logic-matrix-puzzle type confusion and mathematically logical yet still amazing occurrences, I managed to set up a rivalry system.

Each team has a rival team from the opposite division that they will face twice. That means that, with 13 games, each team will have another which they will never face.

I intended for things to be this way, but it turns out a lot more math is involved than I figured and I kept hitting walls as far as evening out match ups go. So, I set everyone to face everyone else once. Then, magically, I set week 10 to have the same match ups as week 1 and everything turned out correctly.

So, weeks 1 and 10 are rivalry weeks. Because each team's rival is from the opposite division, it's possible to see rivals end up facing each other at the championship.

This whole system is largely for flavor, but the fact remains that your rival will have twice as much of an impact on your record compared to any other team.

Here's the largely random rivalries. I tried giving them clever tag lines. I mostly failed... :p

Manicio City v E-Ville Elite - The City vs. The Town

The Living Dead v The Giants - Fictional Humanoids Face Off!

Come Back Barry v The Phoenix Fire - The Phoenix Will Be Reborn, But Will Barry?

Effingham Dukes v Tagon's Toughs - Royalty vs. Rough-necks

Cobra Kai v Quahog Clams - Hard K Sounds ASSSSEMMMBLE!

Quad City Rockers v Grabthar's Hammer - River Folk vs. ...Vague Movie Reference?

Rizzinators v The Wrath of Eisen - The Riz vs. The Wrath!

oooo... I like.

Very cool, MJD. A nice new twist to the GDS league.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will now randomize the draft order and set it myself. I think it's better to know when your pick is beforehand rather than have it randomized right before the draft. This way, people can plan better.

I use Random.org, and I swear that the following is true to what I actually get:

1 - Come Back Barry

2 - E-Ville Elite

3 - Effingham Dukes

4 - Quad City Rockers

5 - Grabthar's Hammer

6 - The Wrath of Eisen

7 - Tagon's Toughs

8 - Cobra Kai

9 - The Phoenix Fire

10 - The Living Dead

11 - Manicio City

12 - The Giants

13 - Rizzinators

14 - Quahog Clams

Comments: The new guys got largely screwed here, and I have the last pick... Sometimes the last pick is really useful, but I have to miss the first 13 players, take 2, and then wait another 13... It's a bit rough... :o

• 4 weeks later...

HEY!

It's getting closer to the season, so now is the time to set a draft date. I'm interested in getting as many people as possible around, so if I don't hear from you, I'll be sending PM's.

Right now, the draft has somewhat randomly been set to Saturday August 22nd at 3:30pm EST.

If anyone reads this and knows they won't be available, post or PM me!

HEY!

It's getting closer to the season, so now is the time to set a draft date. I'm interested in getting as many people as possible around, so if I don't hear from you, I'll be sending PM's.

Right now, the draft has somewhat randomly been set to Saturday August 22nd at 3:30pm EST.

If anyone reads this and knows they won't be available, post or PM me!

I will be heading to work during that time. Earlier in the day and I have no issues or later I shouldn't have any (I think I can draft for work).

Well, it looks like just about everyone will be around. (There are some people I haven't heard from yet.) I'll post again if I move the draft forward at all. I'm thinking 4:30 would be a good alternate time so M-ded will get to make more picks.

I actually might have a "fall welcome" thing at my new college, but it's right across town and I've already been there a bunch of times/work there 3 days a week, so I'm not even sure if I even have a reason to go. :p

Well, it looks like just about everyone will be around. (There are some people I haven't heard from yet.) I'll post again if I move the draft forward at all. I'm thinking 4:30 would be a good alternate time so M-ded will get to make more picks.

I actually might have a "fall welcome" thing at my new college, but it's right across town and I've already been there a bunch of times/work there 3 days a week, so I'm not even sure if I even have a reason to go. :p

4:30 would work great for me. I should be able to make all my picks (I forgot to check if I can at work I will check tomorrow). Though if worst comes to worst I will make sure i have an updated auto draft order (If it is blocked and can't find away around it).

Does anyone particularly mind that moved the draft a few hours earlier? I'll be at my college's fall welcome weekend later that day and apparently it's important...

Also, Lars34 and Franchise22 didn't respond/send me a receipt for the message I sent them about a week ago, so if I don't hear from them in a few days, I'll search for replacements. I know of at least 1 person who will definitely be available.

Whenever you want to hold it is cool with me, like I said in the PM if I can not make it then I will take whatever the computer gives me and go from there (I actually had a third place finish one season when the computer drafted for me).

Whenever you want to hold it is cool with me, like I said in the PM if I can not make it then I will take whatever the computer gives me and go from there (I actually had a third place finish one season when the computer drafted for me).

Make sure you remove Derrick Mason from your rankings. If you do nothing else, make sure retired players are out of there!

Archived