GDS Fantasy Football League 2009

mjdgoldeneye

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll289/mjdgoldeneye/Untitled-3.jpg

Because people have expressed interest in this already, I've decided to open sign-ups and discussion for this year's league now.

Everyone who participated last year has been invited back again this year, and I will wait a while for them to ensure they get a chance to participate again this year. Feel free to express your interest in joining as it is likely that a few owners from past seasons may not participate again this year. If you were an owner last year, check the e-mail with which you signed up for the league as you were sent an invite.

Ideally, the number of owners I'm looking for is 12. Last year, we had 14, and this year, I'd consider allowing 16 if I knew that every single owner would be able to participate on a constant basis. However, once you have more than 12 owners, the distribution of NFL players becomes quite thin.

Also, this year I will be instituting a few tweaks and changes to fix some issues from last year or to simply make things more balanced. Those changes as well as general league info can be found below. New features have an asterisk and changed features have two.

League Structure:

Owners:

EAST

Chris Caulfield - Manicio City

mjdgoldeneye - Quahog Clams

ShadowedFlames - The Phoenix Fire

I Effin Rule - Effingham Dukes

BHK1978 - The Giants

GardnerFTW - Rizzinators

Crychon - Grabthar's Hammer

WEST

nZane - E-Ville Elite

Wallbanger - Tagon's Toughs

Eisen-verse - Wrath of Eisen

masterded - The Living Dead

Imarevenant - Come Back Barry

Franchise22 - Cobra Kai

Lars34 - Quad City Rockers

*Divisions: Divisions have been set. As we have 14 teams, there will be 2 divisions of 7, separated as best as I can into actual East/West regions.

**Roster Outline: You will need a player for each of the following positions.

1 Quarterback

2 Running Backs

2 Wide Receiver

1 Tight End

1 Kicker

1 Defense/Special Teams

6 Bench Players

NOTE: Flex position has been removed as it seems we will have a very large league this year. That'll free up a pretty sizable number of starters.

**Scoring Changes:

-A passing TD will now result in 4 points as opposed to 6.

-There will now be a benchmark bonus system for yardage at each major position.

If a player throws for 300 yards in a game, they get a 3 point bonus. For 400, they get 5, and for a record tying/breaking 554 yards or more, they get 15.

For rushing, 100 yards = 3 points, 150 = 5, and 296 = 15.

For receiving, 100 yards = 3 points, 150 = 5, and 336 = 15.

The Draft:

The live, online draft is currently set to occur on Saturday, August 22nd, at 3:30 PM EST. However, that will likely change depending on when people are available.

Player Management:

*Max Weekly Acquisitions: I've made it so you can't acquire more than 6 new players in a given week. I think that's a fairly large buffer to prevent someone going crazy and trying to rehaul their entire team all at once or from trying to hold marathon trading chains.

**Waivers: Released players will be placed on waivers for 2 days and waiver order will be determined by the reverse order of the standings. Last place gets first dibs, etc.

Can't Cut List: There will be a list of all-star players, determined by Yahoo!, which one may not drop. This is to protect the integrity of the league. You may still trade or bench these players as usual.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What the heck. I've been terrible at real-life fantasy football over the last two years; maybe getting into this is worth a shot.

/in, if you'll have me.

You're in. If everyone from last year signs up, you'll be #15. I'll put you on pending until I hear from the owners from last year or I can't get a response.

I'll say that the next person to sign-up (so long as I believe they'll be active) will be in as well.

Everyone else will have to hope that someone doesn't come back (there will probably be a couple, so no fear).

Did you get the Yahoo email? I'm asking as you haven't appeared on the league's page as a team yet.

Oh, I didn't check last night, I did though, I'll take care of that now. Decided to go with a different name this year, as well.

Major Change: Roster Outline

Due to the fact that we'll likely be having a full league of 16 teams this year, I've removed the flex position from the starting roster. That'll free up 16 players that would otherwise be drafted.

Also, there are 4 owners that have not yet returned. They are:

Astil

jbergey_2005

theoutlaw321

machinesxe

Of those, Astil has been a bit busy lately and doing internet things off of his phone, I haven't seen jbergey around, Outlaw seemingly disappeared, and machinesxe is too hard to understand to comment on... :p

So, if no one else joins, we'll be all set with 14 owners once again. However, I think I'll leave the flex position out either way as I found last year's player distribution to be a bit thin. It's not quite fun trying to pick from the likes of Sidney Rice and Jabar Gaffney as starters...

Good idea with dropping the flex position. It was fun while it lasted, however, it's not really needed.

Hopefully this year we can get everyone to consistently play week in and week out! It was a lot of fun last year. Hopefully we can keep it going this year as well.

Looking forward to it!

Sorry I didnt see an invite athough I get so much spam I probably missed it.

Its not a big deal either way to me, it is fun but I have 5 other $$$ leagues I am in so if someone else wants to play it is fine by me.

I was actually just about to say that maybe we should stick with 14 teams. With 16, all 32 starting QB's would probably be on someone's roster, 48 WR's, 48 RB's, etc.

If you aren't offended, I may just close the league now.

After dealing with all sorts of logic-matrix-puzzle type confusion and mathematically logical yet still amazing occurrences, I managed to set up a rivalry system.

Each team has a rival team from the opposite division that they will face twice. That means that, with 13 games, each team will have another which they will never face.

I intended for things to be this way, but it turns out a lot more math is involved than I figured and I kept hitting walls as far as evening out match ups go. So, I set everyone to face everyone else once. Then, magically, I set week 10 to have the same match ups as week 1 and everything turned out correctly.

So, weeks 1 and 10 are rivalry weeks. Because each team's rival is from the opposite division, it's possible to see rivals end up facing each other at the championship.

This whole system is largely for flavor, but the fact remains that your rival will have twice as much of an impact on your record compared to any other team.

Here's the largely random rivalries. I tried giving them clever tag lines. I mostly failed... :p

Manicio City v E-Ville Elite - The City vs. The Town

The Living Dead v The Giants - Fictional Humanoids Face Off!

Come Back Barry v The Phoenix Fire - The Phoenix Will Be Reborn, But Will Barry?

Effingham Dukes v Tagon's Toughs - Royalty vs. Rough-necks

Cobra Kai v Quahog Clams - Hard K Sounds ASSSSEMMMBLE!

Quad City Rockers v Grabthar's Hammer - River Folk vs. ...Vague Movie Reference?

Rizzinators v The Wrath of Eisen - The Riz vs. The Wrath!

Also, there are 4 owners that have not yet returned. They are:

machinesxe

...and machinesxe is too hard to understand to comment on... :p

I love you too MDJ, I thought I responded back to you that I was having a hard time logging into yahooooo. But hey either way enjoy a year without me kicking your butts...

MJD, I think I put that in pretty good English so you could understand.

Archived