Spartan X:The Career of Mitsuharu Misawa

A short little post bringing everyone up to date.

Where We Are

In August of 1981, slightly over one year from our beginning date, former Amateur Wrestler Mitsuharu Misawa made his professional debut for Shohei Baba's All Japan Pro Wrestling. At this point Misawa is just sort of sitting there, a young lion trying to make an impact. His biggest break, as the second Tiger Mask, wouldn't come for another year, so he must grind his teeth in the opening bouts for the moment.

The Rules

As far as I know, Misawa never worked outside of Japan until the new millenium. That, however, goes out the window right now. For men you can only work a maximum of two promotions in Japan, All Japan/New Japan and UPWF. For the sake of gameplay, I wll work in one promotion outside of Japan, but Japanese bookings take precedence. To keep some ioda of history in here, Misawa will never work for New Japan unless All Japan folds. I will also try to stay mainly in the US or Canada, as the Japanese promoters liked to send people over to learn. For whatever reason, Misawa had no friends in the DOTT database, and I've changed only one thing: He has a strong friendship with Toshiaki Kawada. This is because they knew each other from High School, and even further back I believe. He also has a mentor/protege relationship with Tsuruta and Baba. I would have added loyalty to Dory Funk Jr. and The Destroyer, but I thought that might make my push go a little too fast.

What Will Be Covered

I'll keep tabs on every All Japan show, and keep my eye on the future stars of Japanese Wrestling like Chono, Nagata, Kobashi, Kawada, etc. etc. I will also post every show that I work. If it's requested, I'll also keep tabs on a few select American wrestlers.

Current Progress

I'm is currently working under a verbal contract for AJPW. I'm is being pushed as a Lower Midcard Babyface. I've got two tag teams set up (TOG:I swear I didn't set either of these up) with an Enhancement Level Heel Toshiaki Kawada and an unsigned Kenta Kobashi.

Day to Day Workings

I asked to join the St. Louis Wrestling Club, based on it's Pure style, Atlantic Grand Prix, for it's Traditional Style, and Calgary Stampede Wrestling for it's Cutting Edge style. I also looked for work with Universal Pro-Wrestling Federation, as it's the only place in Japan I can work besides All Japan.

Work

I ended up getting hired by UWF(what a shocker) and AGP, with SLWC and Stampede saying I wasn't over enough. I'll show them, they'll see!

First Signs of Trouble

I had to turn down a match against Ryuma Go in UWF as it conflicted with my All Japan match. I see this as being a common problem.

Match #1: Ashura Hara and Mighty Inoue vs. Mitsuharu Misawa and Masanobu Fuchi for the All Asia Tag Team Titles

Holy crap, I'm already in a title match. I suspect I'm just thrown in here to be trampled on, but I'm gonna put up a fight.

The bell rings and Ashura and I start it out. Both of us do some feeling out for a while, until I take him down with a dropkick. From there I work over his legs. He blocks twice and tries to hit me with an arm wringer, but a few rolls later and Ashura is out of luck. An attempted tag out eventually leaves me at Ashura's mercy on the ground. By the time Fuchi comes in, I have no momentum.

Unfortunately for Fuchi, Ashura doesn't need to feel him out before taking him down. Soon enough our biggest fear, Mighty Inoue, is in the match and Fuchi can't do anything about it. Try as he might, every chance Fuchi gets at offence is cut short by the veteran. After a quick dodge from a knee jab, Fuchi tags me back in having gotten in no offence whatsoever.

We do some solid back and forth, until I go for a suplex. He lands on top and gets a two count. He gets up, but it looks like his knee is messed up. Hello target. I take a beating in the process, but when I finally drive Inoue to the ground, I don't let him up. Eventually, however, he finally gets out of my attacks on his legs. However, his offence is short lived and he's back on the ground.

I really contemplate bringing Fuchi back in, but at this point it would be a waste. I'm on a roll. My first pin attempt comes after a legsweep. Inoue doesn't even stay down for two. Inoue, being the vet. that he is, wisely blocks my two dropkick attempts and tags out. Which is my cue to do the same. But only after just avoiding submission via the Boston Crab.

Mimicing my strategy, Fuchi brings Ashura down and starts working over his legs, to some success. In response, Ashura goes after his arms; he has much more success than Fuchi. The match quickly ends with Fuchi tapping to a Step Over Face Lock. My first match, and not only is it terrible, but thanks to Fuchi we lost.

Cards

As it turned out, we were in the middle of the show, following Genichiro Tenryu beating Ultraseven, and followed by my mentor Jumbo Tsuruta beating Harley Race. The opener was Atsushi Onita beating Dos Caras for the NWA Jr. Heavyweight Title, and the main event was Giant Baba beating Ric Flair.

As for UWF, their card looked something like this.

Kentaro Hoshino beat Ryuma Go for the UWF Title.

Gran Hamada beat Akira Maeda

Kazuo Yamazaki beat Tatsutoshi Goto

Shunji Kosugi beat Hiroshi Hase

Yuji Nagata beat Nobuhiko Takada

Shinichi Nakano beat Koji Kanemoto

Fumihiro Niikura beat Keiichi Yamada

Match #2: Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Goro Tsurumi

I'm thoroughly prepared for this match. Thankfully, unlike Ashura and Inoue, Goro only has one really big move I need to take care of. The Boston Crab. Also working to my advantage is how beat up Goro is. So long as I wrestle a fast paced match, this old timer can't keep up with me.

I start out strong and fast, and the crowd takes notice. For the first time in my life, I'm getting them to gasp in the first minutes of the match with stunning flips, kicks, and attacks. Tsurumi can't keep up. Unfortunately, as with all good things, my attack must come to an end.

Goro keeps me in check with some simple headlocks and arm wringers while slowly bringing me onto the ground. From there he works over my arm like crazy, until I just barely get out of the way of his knee drop. Unfortunately, my elation doesn't last long as he moves out of the way of my leg drop.

We go back and forth for a little bit, me hitting my strikes and aerial offence, and him locking onto my head and arms. My biggest surprise comes when I hit him hard with a european uppercut, and he immediately answers back with two of his own. He works me to the ground again, rubbing his neck which has been bothering him ever since my uppercut, and again goes old school with some headlocks.

I manage to slip out of his side headlock, and now the fun begins. A dropkick sends him to the floor, and my flip legdrop riles the crowd up. Pin attempt only scores me one. However, if my legdrop taught me anything, going for all my big moves right now would only hurt me. I'll work over his legs and neck while he's down. he gets control again pretty quickly, but after that he starts taking me seriously.

Instead of bringing me down with headlocks and arm wringers again, Tsurumi hits hip tosses and grinding forearms. When he attempts the same driving body scissors I had just briefly used, I let him have it. He narrowly avoids my rolling elbow, but I keep in control.

I somehow manage to get behind him while trading blows, and go for my German Suplex. Alas, he slips out quicker than I can react to and hurls me to the ground with a short arm hip toss. When I avoid his seated hammer, and bring him to his back with a body scissors takedown, I know that now is the time to strike. I go out onto that apron, leap up, and land a stunning dropkick. The pin only gets a two, but the crowd is already into us. I wait for him to get up, rebound off the ropes, but get hit with a huge flurry of forearms and get knocked onto the apron just catapulted off of.

Tsurumi brings me back in with a suplex, but can't keep me down long enough to lock in The Crab. I bounce off the ropes again, going for a forearm, only to get caught in a hip toss. This time, however, he locks me in The Boston Crab, and I have no choice but to tap out. Two matches, two losses. But, we both gave it our all and the crowd responded. We're on our way up.

Puroresu Chukei May Tour: Night 2

Hansen/Brody beat Flair/Tenryu

Babe beat Race to retain the PWF Heavyweight Title

Atsushi Onita beat Ultraseven to retain the NWA Intl. Jr. Heavyweight Title

Rocky Hata beat Chavo Guerrero

Ashura Hara beat Masanobu Fuchi to retain the All Asia Heavyweight Title

Dory Funk Jr. beat Hiromichi Fuyuki

Goro Tsurimi beat Mitsuharu Misawa

I ended up losing some of my popularity in Tohoku

Match #3: Bif Wellington vs. Mitsuharu Misawa

I actually talked with Bif, as much as I could at least, before the match started. He was an OK guy, but the language barrier really made things complicated. I didn't try to talk with anyone else backstage.

Bif starts out the match by taking me to the ground and just sort of attacking. It doesn't seem like he knows what he's really going for, and I think he's just kind of waiting for me to show an opening. I don't plan on giving him one.

Much to my chagrin, Bif isn't as easy as I thought he'd be. It doesn't take long for him to lock on a Boston Crab, which I narrowly escape. Thankfully, whenever my offence fails, he goes for a big mvoe which I can escape from. If he can't hit me, he can't win.

My comeback is abruptly stopped when he catches me in a small package. I kick out just after two, a little scared that that might have been the end. However, as soon as I get up he drills me with a piledriver. Another 2 and the crowd is starting to get into it. These crowds aren't like Japanese crowds though, they're very loud and distracting.

It seems like every time I try and build momentum, something goes wrong. This time it's my springboard legdrop that stops me. Now it's gotten to the point that we're trading attempts at big moves and failing. He keeps going for the sleeper and the crab, I keep going for the German and Enzuigiri. After two blocked Russian Legsweep attempts, Bif nails me with another Piledriver, this time to get the three. We had a seven minute match, I lost another match, but the crowd was so loud for such a small venue, it's kind of mind blowing.

Grand Prix Wrestling

90 Fans in Attendance

The Maritime Boys beat Von Schotz and Von Hess

Gerry Morrow beat The Cuban Assassin for the Grand Prix Light Heavyweight Title

The Spoiler beat Bobby Kay

Phil Lafon beat Del Wilkes

Bif Wellington beat Mitsuharu Misawa

There In Spirit

I was left off the card for the first time in my life. I can understand where they're coming from...but I don't like it. I hate being left off a card.

Grand Prix Wrestling Stadium Show

304 in Attendance

The Beast and Kay beat Spoiler and Cuban Assassin

Don Leo Jonathan beat Leo Burke to retain the Maritimes Championship

Gerry Morrow beat Bobby Bass to retain the Grand Prix Light Heavyweight title

Von Schotz and Von Hess beat Petitpas and Casey

Pierre Lefebvre beat Del Wilkes

Wellington and Richie beat Lafon and Montana

Recurring Themes

Once again I had to snub UWF for AJPW, and once again I have a shot for the All Asia Tag Team Titles with Fuchi. I feel kind of bad though, because I really wanted to test this kid Yuji Nagata. I have a feeling about him. I looked around backstage, but I couldn't really find anyone I wanted to talk to. They all seemed so out of my league.

Ashura Hara and Mighty Inoue vs. Mitsuharu Misawa and Masanobu Fuchi for the All Asia Tag Team Titles

Once again, I start it off against Ashura. He goes for a headlock, but I've had enough of that. I'm gonna try to go fast paced again, like I did against Tsurumi. As it turns out, this strategy works wonders against Ashura.

When Ashura finally gets me down, I've made my mark. He's doing as best he can to work over my arms, but he does very little damage by the time I tag in Fuchi.

Even though Fuchi is in, he cant do anything. Ashura dodges his first attack and then brings him down to the ground, never letting go of those headlocks. I think Fuchi's getting smarter though, because instead of mimicing my strategy he stays with his, slapping on simple holds and stalling Ashura's momentum. After a blocked Ground Arm Breaker, Ashura tags in Inoue.

To my surprise, Fuchi doesn't go down like a sack of bricks. He trades holds with Inoue, trying to wear him down for me. He even hits a gutwrench suplex. Soon enough, with absolutely no momentum, Fuchi tags me back in.

A quick dropkick levels Inoue, and from there I decide that he needs to stay on the ground. I mainly go after his body and neck with simple moves that are hard to avoid. This greatly works to my advantage, and when I put him in the corner I can start some of my bigger moves. A triple kick in the corner puts me well ahead of Inoue, and nothing he can do will stop me at this point.

As I go for a double underhook suplex, I can hear the crowd collectively gasp. I think they thought I was going for a Tiger Bomb, but it's a little too early for me to think of that. Unfortunately, Inoue manages to take over for a little bit and quickly tags out to Ashura, ending my domination of him.

Ashura and I trade blows, with him clearly getting the edge, and I desperately need to tag out. I attempt a whip to the corner, which is countered, and I accidentaly run into the ref. Not good. We trade blows, with me coming out on top for the most part, for a long time before the ref comes back to life.

That's my cue to tag in Fuchi, who gets in a few shots on Ashura before Inoue gets tagged back in. Inoue can't do much before he's tossed up for an Airplane Spin. However, after that Fuchi can't get anything in as Inoue locks on Hammerlocks and Judo Tosses. Fuchi gets out of the Atomic Drop, hits a backdrop, and tags me in.

Despite completely ignoring my dropkick, I'm able to take Inoue down and out relatively easily. A few European Uppercuts in a row, followed by a Lariat and....that bastard kicks out at the last second. I hook both of his arms...but no, no Tiger Bomb for me. Inoue brings me to the ground and quickly tags out to Ashura, knowing he has no chance if he stays in right now.

Instead of tagging out to Fuchi, I feel like I have something to prove and take it to Ashura with strong attacks. The Knife Edge Chop in particular seems to make him wince. However, when he nearly locks on a step over facelock, I know it's time to get out of there.

Fuchi falls into the same trap, and gets brought down. The Double Knee Backbreaker and Step Over Facelock are his biggest worries, but when Ashura goes for the Enzuigiri, he can't help but panic. Thankfully he gets out of the way in time. When Ashura gets back up, he gets hit with his own move. Fuchi hits the Enzuigiri and goes for the pin. 1! 2!...... 3!!!!! Fuchi got us the win! WE ARE THE ALL ASIA TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS!!! The crowd applauds our efforts as we head to the back, the rest of the crew giving us some praise as we relish the victory. It took us 39 minutes exactly, but it was damn well worth it.

Puroresu Chukei: Tuesday Week 2 of May in Chubu

5,146 in attendance

Stan Hansen and Bruiser Brody beat Giant Baba and Genichiro Tenryu

Atsushi Onita beat Dory Funk Jr. to retain the NWA International Jr Heavyweight Title

Misawa and Fuchi beat Hara and Inoue for the All Asia Tag Team Titles

Akio Sato beat Ultraseven

Chavo Guerrero beat Takashi Ishikawa

Universal Pro-Wrestling Live in Chugoku

50 in attendance

Kantaro Hosino beat Gran Hamada to retain the Univeral Pro-Wrestling Title

Rusher Kimura beat Osamu Kido

Kazuo Yamazaki went to a double count out against Akira Maeda

Nobuhiko Takada beat Koji Kanemoto

Ryuma Go beat Shinichi Nakano

Fumihiro Niikura beat Yuji Nagata

Keiichi Yamada went to double count out against Masahiro Chono

I'm a Mark Man, in a Mark World

Despite the rumors I had heard about masters Lou Thesz and Rikidozan having some sort of fight, I was still on cloud nine. During my trip to the gym near the hotel all the wrestlers were staying at, I couldn't help but bring my belt along with me. Inoue and Ashura laughed when they saw me, but when I saw Fuchi walk in with the belt around his waist I couldn't help but laugh. It wasn't quite the PWF Heavyweight, or even the All Asia Heavyweight title,(which, by the way, I saw hanging out of Ashura's bag. He can laugh all he wants, but he loves being champion as much as I do) but it was mine.

History Repeats

When I got back to my hotel room, I got the call. I was going to go up against Ashura Hara for the All Asia Heavyweight Title. I couldn't have been more extatic. I thought to myself "If he can have both, why can't I?" and spent the rest of the time I had studying his matches. I was only really able to get two in before we had to get on the bus. It was time. I tried talking to Fuchi backstage to calm my nerves, but he didn't have anything to say to me. I wish Kawada was here.

Ashura Hara vs. Mitsuharu Misawa for the All Asia Heavyweight Title

Defence #2 for Ashura Hara

The Kinki crowd was pretty excited as we started this one off. I was surprised when I heard them actually clapping along to my music as I walked out. Their timing was surprisingly perfect. Or, at least, it sounded perfect to me.

Ashura starts off by taking me to the ground and grabbing everything in sight. Legs, arms, and especially my head. When he finally brings me up, only to go for another headlock, I escape and start pummeling him. My hard strikes quickly focus the crowds attention as they listen for every snap. After hitting a dropkick, my attempt at a leg drop fails when Ashura moves out of the way. I can never seem to hit that.

Thankfully, his offence doesn't last long and I quickly corner him. A few forearm strikes and a monkey flip later and Ashura is on the ground. I won't make the same mistake twice, and opt to instead use chinlocks and the like instead of leg drops. It's not as flashy, but right now it will have to do.

When I feel he's taken enough wear down style punishment, I have the urge to do a leg drop. A flipping leg drop. Thankfully, it connects, and my momentum starts to move up, while his continues to drop. Soon enough, Ashura works his way to his feet and we start trading moves again.

Ashura starts really working my arm as I continue to attempt my strong offence, only to be countered at every turn. For every knife edge chop I hit, he counters with ten versions of the wrist lock. And those knee jabs of his are brutal; I think I almost lost a tooth on one of them. After a very close encounter with a step over facelock, I know it's time to change strategies.

Or at least, I thought it was. After a block on an attempted DDT, I keep going big with a necbreaker. I follow this up with a rolling bridge pin, which nets me a two count. As Ashura gets up, I bounce off the ropes...Only to be hit with a huge flurry of forearms, sending me to the apron. When I get back in, he quickly leaps into the air and slams me with an Enzuigiri. 1, 2...kick out. Thank god I had that energy to spare.

He lifts me up for a Brainbuster, but I don't let him get away with it and knee him before he can get any momentum for it. I go for an irish whip, only to have him reverse it and blast me with another knee to the head. 1, 2....kick out again. This is getting irritating. I don't even have time to think about how the crowd is reacting.

He trips me, steps over and...LEG LOCK! This technique is pure torture. I can only manage to hold on for so long before I have no other choice but to tap out. Just like when I went for his tag team gold, Ashura Hara stops me from winning my first match against him. The crowd applauds our efforts, but to me it almost sounds like they're saying "We're sorry you weren't good enough."

Puroresu Chukei: Thursday Week 2 of May in Kinki

2,597 in attendance

Giant Baba beat Harley Race to retain the PWF Heavyweight Title

Hansen and Brody beat Takashi Ishikawa and Akio Sato

Atsushi Onita beat Mighty Inoue to retain the NWA International Jr. Heavyweight Title

Dory Funk Jr. beat Ric Flair

Terry Funk beat Genichiro Tenryu

The Sensational Destroyer beat Rocky Hata

Ashura Hara beat Mitsuharu Misawa to retain the All Asia Heavyweight Title

Wow, uh, I wasn't expecting a response so soon. And from D. Boon nontheless! Uh, thanks. It's been pretty fun so far, despite the whole one win and conflicting schedules, and I'm hoping to at least take this as far as the Tiger Mask gimmick.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Reaction

Knowing I needed to be in Canada for the Grand Prix show on Sunday, most of my Friday was spent alone. Or as alone as it can get. As I was riding my bike down the streets of Kinki, I noticed that more and more people were shouting my name as I went by. When I stopped for a small break in a nearby park, a young couple ran up to me and asked if they could get a picture with me. After taking the picture (the young girl was giggling the entire time, it was rather annoying) they both said I performed well last night, and they knew that I would be on top soon and they couldn't wait for it. This stayed with me all day, and all throughout the weekend.

Blind

As it turns out, they didn't need me for Sunday's show. I stayed in Canada for the possibility of the show on Monday (which, by the way, will hold more than twice the people that this show did) but I'm not pushing my luck in that department.

Atlantic Grand Prix Wrestling From The Maritimes

Sunday Week 2 of 1983

348 In attendance

Yvon Cormier went to a time limit draw with Leo Burke

Don Leo Jonathan went to a time limit draw with The Spoiler

Kurt Von Hess beat Steve Casey

Karl Von Schotz beat Bit Stephen Petitpas

Bobby Kay and The Great Malumba ended in a No Contest

Mixed Blessing

I was called up Monday morning by the Grand Prix offices. They told me I'd be in a six man tag tonight, so I should be prepared. Before I could ask who I'd be teaming with and against, they hung up on me. I really don't like being in six man tags or larger as they take away from the experience in my eyes, but at the same time it gives me the opportunity to learn from my two teammates and the three people on the other side of the ring.

Bif Wellington, Del Wilkes, and Lenny Montana vs. Phil Lafon, Mitsuharu Misawa, and Pierre Lefebvre

Wellington and Lafon started it out, and the crowd sounded dead. And this is compared to a typical Japanese crowd. Two minutes in, Lafon gets hit with a piledriver. We're doomed. Thankfully, he kicks out at two. He rolls out of a roll up, leaps toward the corner, and we touch hands. My turn.

Unfortunately, Wellington is too good for me. He rolls through my arm wringer and brings me to the ground. He vigorously works over my arms before tagging in Del Wilkes. He quickly hops over the top rope and smacks against the ring. He went for a splash but I had a little too much energy. When I go for a pin he kicks out just after two.

When we both get up, I smack him with a knife edge chop. I could feel all the air leaving his chest as I connected with it. As he's still writhing in pain, I slip behind him, bring him down, and lock him in a crossface chickenwing. He has no choice but to give up quickly. Only four men got in the ring, the match was less than five minutes, but the crowd seemed to have enjoyed itself. (C- rating) All in all, it was worth the air fare.

Grand Prix Wrestling Stadium Show from The Maritimes

Monday Week 3 of 1983

346 In attendance

Don Leo Jonathan beat Leo Burke to retain the Maritimes Championship title

Yvon Cormier beat Karl Von Schotz

Lafon, Misawa, and Lefebvre beat Wellington, Wilkes, and Montana

Ponderings

My flight back to Japan was rather dull, but my mind was racing nontheless. Before I left I got two calls. The first was from UWF, they wanted me to face Rusher Kimura in the main event. I was clearly excited about the chance to work in the main event, but I told them that if All Japan called I would go to them. I said I would call if I could make it, otherwise assume I wouldn't be able to. Right after that call I got another one. "We've got you in a match tonight. This is the big one Misawa, I hope you're prepared." That's all he said, but it was enough for me to know that I had to get to Japan quick. I spent the entire ride thinking about it. "The big one? He doesn't mean me against Baba, does he?" I even got a little antsy near touch-down. This was going to be big.

Black Board

When I got to the dressing room, I quickly looked around for the black board that had match listings. The card was outstanding, but the most important thing was right there. Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Atsushi Onita I was going up against the NWA International Jr. Heavyweight Champion. Tonight. They were right, this was the big one. The biggest one of my life I'd say. No disrespect to the All Asia Heavyweight Title, but this was...more. I didn't talk to anyone. I just prepared. Mentally and physically.

Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Atsushi Onita for the NWA International Jr. Heavyweight Championship

Onita was only five years older than me, but it was clear to everyone backstage he wasn't going to last too long in the world of Professional Wrestling, not with knees as battered as his. It wasn't exactly the most honorable thing, but the crowd would forgive me when I won. His legs were going to be my target all match.

Onita started out with a side headlock and a european uppercut, but after that I took over. I pulled his legs and he toppled to the ground. From there I did leg drops to his legs more times than I can count. I wasn't even going to let him stand if I could.

He eventually stopped my assault and we switched positions. He was on top, I was on bottom. He was going to wear me down with headlocks and armbars, just like everyone else.

Soon enough we're back on our feet and trading blows. My dropkicks and back kicks seem to do nothing to him. I think I made him mad when I went after his legs. Eventually I move the angry brick wall into the corner and start unloading forearms. After around six in a row, he tumbles to my corner dropkick.

And again, now that he's on the ground, I go after his legs. Now instead of just leg drops, I get him in leg locks and twists. This just seems to make him angrier. My thesis is proved correct when he gets up, knocks me down, and starts kneeing me in the side of the face as hard as he can.

When he decides to be more technical, I slip out and dropkick his knees. He may keep getting madder, but he keeps making mistakes too. When he gets control again, he starts targeting my legs shouting while he does it. I think he doesn't like his legs hurting.

I'm starting to wear out, and he knows it. He goes for several moves that could finish me off in a row, but I seem to block him every time. Neither of us have gone for a pin at this point. After taking him down with a neckwrench, I go for a jacknife. 1! 2!......Kick out at 2.5! As he stands up, I shout, leap, and nail him with an enzuigiri. He won't deny me my title. 1! 2!...........3!!! I won! The crowd claps politely, it wasn't the best match, but who cares?! I AM THE NEW NWA INTERNATIONAL JUNIOR HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD! As the referee hands me my new belt, I hoist my tag belt in the air with it. Two straps of leather and gold hang down as my music plays. And the best part? This is only the beginning.

Puroresu Chukei: Tuesday Week 3 of May in Chugoku

2,184 in attendance

Giant Baba beat Ric Flair to retain the PWF Heavyweight title

Hansen and Brody beat Race and Sato

Ashura Hara beat Masanobu Fuchi to retain the All Asia Heavyweight title

Chavo Guerrero beat Genichiro Tenryu

Mighty Inoue beat Goro Tsurumi

Mitsuharu Misawa beat Atsushi Onita for the NWA International Jr. Heavyweight title

Universal Pro-Wrestling Live in Hokkaido

59 in attendance

Kantaro Hosino beat Gran Hamada to retain the Universal Pro-Wrestling title

Osamu Kido beat Ryuma Go

Rusher Kimura beat Kazuo Yamazaki

Akira Maeda beat Tatsutoshi Goto

Hiroshi Hase beat Yuji Nagata

Shunji Kosugi beat Shinichi Nakano

Fumihiro Niikura beat Koji Kanemoto

Photo Op

The ecstasy I had after hoisting my twin titles in the air never left me. And All Japan wanted to start promoting me more, being their new NWA Jr. Heavyweight Champion and all. most of my Wednesday was spent at a photo shoot. The fans were very vocal, and they all congratulated me...in their own way at least. There was a very awkward moment when a young blond girl, who didn't speak a word of Japanese, tried to hug me. It was very odd, but I got away with nothing but a look of confusion on my face.

The Press

Unfortunately, Thursday didn't allow me to work out like I planned to. My cardio especially needed work if I wanted to hang with the best. Instead, I was in an interview all day talking about my match with Onita, my matches with Ashura and Inoue, and my upcoming rematch against Onita. It wasn't going to be a title match, but if he won he would surely be in line for one.

Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Atsushi Onita

For the first time in what feels like a long time, I start on the offensive. We tie up before I take him to the ground with an arm drag. Onita stands up pretty quickly and we tie up again. This time we struggle over to the corner and I hit him with a few forearms before dragging him out.

I hit a strong back kick, which he then ignores to hit me with a european uppercut, which I, not to be outdone, completely ignore. A chop, a kick, and a suplex later and he's back on the ground where he becomes a victim to my body scissors.

Onita eventually gets out and tried to hit me, but I give him no room for anything and soon blast him into the corner again, this time with a dropkick. After one or two forearms, he slips out and hits me with another european uppercut. I again ignore the pain and chop him for his trouble. This ends up being enough to send him tumbling to the ground.

When he gets back up I drill him with more strikes and send him off the ropes. When he reaches me I hit him with a solid hip toss. Onita eventually drags me to the ground and completely kills my momentum with headlocks and hammerlocks. However, I noticed that he's limping, meaning I must have hurt his legs. Thankfully the crowd knows I wasn't targeting them, so they haven't turned against me.

After an attempted knee jab (why does everyone seem so intent on breaking my jaw with that move?!) I get to my feet and lock on an arm wringer. A dropkick sends him back into the corner. After a few forearms, I put Onita on the top rope and throw him off. In a first, I actually hit him with a legdrop. It felt so good I hit him with another one. And then another!

(at this point it's become apparent there's a glitch in the game. He has 0% energy and I can't even hit medium level moves. I decided to continue, but I don't think it will be very exciting. It might even have to end on countout.)

I attempt to throw Onita to the outside, but he reverses me and I go tumbling. When I finally get up, I see him leaping at me with his forearm extended, making me buckle. I avoid one of his signature knee jabs, slap on a headlock, and lift him up into a suplex. When I come down, I note a peculiar sound as the referee calls for the bell. He landed on a chair and I was disqualified. The crowd coult not be angrier. And I couldn't be more embarrassed.

Puroresu Chukei: Thursday Week 3 of May in Kyushu

1730 in attendance

Giant Baba beat Ric Flair to retain the PWF Heavyweight title

Jumbo Tsuruta beat Genichiro Tenryu

Race and Mascaras beat The Funks

Mighty Inoue beat Goro Tsurumi

Hansen and Brody beat Ishikawa and Sato

Atsushi Onita beat Mitsuharu Misawa by DQ

Shame

The next day Baba told me I had to go to a press conference over the ending to my match with Onita. The butterflies in my stomach just intensify as the moment draws closer. "I did not intentionally disqualify myself in my match with Onita. I did not see that chair, nor do I know how it got there. I do not begrudge Wada for making that call. It was the correct call to make, despite the fact that I do not like it. I look forward to my rematch against Onita, and hope that this may never happen again." It sounds so easy to say, but I'm still not used to being the center of attention. I can't wait until Sunday for the Grand Prix show.

Sunday

Sunday doesn't quite come quick enough for me. Despite knowing I won't be booked until Monday I head to Canada to get away from everything. Onita seems especially distant. I take the day off to work up a good sweat and enjoy the completely unique atmosphere of The Maritimes. I don't understand a word people say, but it's nice for them not to know of my shame. When Monday rolls around, I am more than refreshed for my match with Wellington.

Bif Wellington vs. Mitsuharu Misawa

Bif starts out by attacking my arm and a few forearm blows. When he attempts to maneuver behind me I gain control. After a hard european uppercut connects, Bif immediately comes back and kicks me in the stomach. After missing a clothesline, I take Bif down with a monkey flip.

I lock on a rear chinlock, but when I transition it to use my knees, Bif gets out. He attempts another clothesline, but I drop him straight on his back, flip, and land a leg drop. He breaks my attempted body scissors, hits a few punches, but cant lock on his arm bar.

After a back kick, I throw a strong forearm and Bif falls to the outside. I bounce off one set of ropes and launch myself over the others with a plancha. However, Bif isn't there to break my fall and I smack hard onto the concrete. I fight off Bif as the referee begins counting.

I nail him with a flurry of European uppercuts, but he slips away before I can hit the Tiger Driver. His attempt at a neckbreaker fails, and we both run into the ring before being counted out. I once again go for a Tiger Driver, but he counters with a forearm.

After a Verticle Suplex, he lands an elbow onto my own. After picking me up, he fails to hit a Small Package, and I latch onto his stomach. My German Suplex attempt fails, but so does his Piledriver. I duck one of his punches, spin, and land a spinning elbow, sending him to the mat.

Through a series of counters from both of us, (and I mean a LOOOOONG series of counters) I end up on my back after a Lariat attempt. After fighting him off, I go for another German Suplex, only to be hit with an Abdominal Stretch. I move out of a Russian Legsweep, and finally land my German Suplex. 1! 2!........2.5! He just barely got out of that.

After an attempted Tiger Driver, Bif lifts me up and drops me down with a Verticle Suplex while the fans chant his name loudly. He then floats over and covers me. 1! 2!..........3! It was a humbling experience, but I think it was well fought by both of us. I shake his hand and leave, letting him enjoy his glory. (10 minutes exactly, C rating)

Grand Prix Wrestling Stadium Show at The Maritimes

365 in attendance

Don Leo Jonathan beats Kurt Von Hess to retain the Maritimes Championship

Yvon Cormier beat Leo Burke

The Cuban Assassin beat Bobby Kay

Great Malumba and Comrade Jerry beat Ritchie and Petitpas to retain the Maritimes Tag Team Championship

Karl Von Schotz beat Steve Casey

Lenny Montana beat Del Wilkes

Bif Wellington beat Mitsuharu Misawa

Good effort against the Biff-ster,it is tough breaking into a foreign market at the beginning,everyone always seems to have such a heavy energy advantage over you until you get established.At least the in-ring performance itself was somewhat good,especially at that level.

Good write ups;I like the first person perspective,but you still manage to keep it on a believeable level.....well done.

Thanks. Matches in Canada are so much faster paced than those in Japan, I actually find it more fun. As for Bif having an advantage...Well, he's only got like 4% more energy than me, and even then our hits take out so much it doesn't matter much. I'm just pissed he kicked out of my German but I couldn't kick out of his Verticle Suplex.

Decisions: Not as hard as you'd think

The next week of my life would turn out to be more than just hectic. UWF, AGP, and AJPW all had tons of shows either back to back or scheduled on the same day. I hated to snub UWF again, but they continually ran shows at the same time as All Japan, what was I supposed to do? Tuesday in particular was bad, because UWF wanted me to go up against Rusher Kimura, AGP wanted me to face Ron Ritchie in what they called a "hardcore match". I had to get someone to explain what that meant to me. Apparently there are no rules in that kind of match, and you can only win by pinfall or submission. You can also get that pinfall or submission anywhere in the Arena. Odd. Of course, I ended up going with All Japan to defend my NWA International Jr. Heavyweight Championship against Goro Tsurumi.

Lariat

To get rid of some of my pre-match jitters, I talked with the legendary Stan Hansen. I had heard great things about him, but he conned me out of over $3,000. Suffice to say when I realized it, I was not a happy man. I have much respect for the man, but for this stunt he has earned more than my contempt.

Match #10: Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Goro Tsurumi for the NWA International Jr. Heavyweight Championship

Last time Tsurumi got me with The Boston Crab, but I won't let him do that twice. I start the match off with an Arm Wringer, not really sure of what my strategy is. If I take out his arms, he can't lock it in right. But if I take out his legs he can't stand for it. Maybe I'll just hurt him so much he can't get up, that usually seems to work.

Tsurumi moves as I try a back kick, and brings me down with a judo toss after a few headlocks. From there he mainly goes after my arm. After a minute or two I finally get up, and land a huge dropkick, which he promptly ignores. He immediately goes back to my arm, but I roll through an arm wringer and get back control.

This time when I hit my dropkick, he stumbles over into the corner. However, my night of "offence" continues when he moves out of the way and throws me to the ground. From there it's the usual, he hits a knee jab and I wonder as to why everyone loves that move. Somehow I regain control, and this time I make sure to stop his momentum.

However, yet again, I have no chance of stopping it when he counters all of my moves. This time with a judo toss. (I can't even do a damn collar and elbow without him countering!) Eventually I get the advantage again, and through a series of misses on his part, I take him down with a monkey flip.

I make sure to keep it simple, so as not to lose my advantage. Despite my initial frustrations, I can and will turn this match to my favor. Soon enough I start doing bigger moves, leg twists and cross leg locks, because he has totally lost any momentum he had built up.

At 15:30 he takes back his advatage and forces me to the ground. He grabs my legs and starts to turn me over, but I thrash about just enough to escape the hold. I grab on for a Belly to Back Suplex, but he moves out and lands an enzuigiri! 1! 2! ........3!!! I didn't have enough to kick out. Defence #2 of my NWA International Jr. Heavyweight Championship is my last defence for my first reign, as Goro Tsurumi beats me in 16:20. The crowd doesn't care. But I do.

Puroresu Chukei: Tuesday Week 4 of May in Kanto

8132 in attendance

Jumbo Tsuruta beat Harley Race

Stan Hansen beat Ric Flair

Dos Caras beat Akio Sato

Goro Tsurumi beat Mitsuharu Misawa for the NWA International Jr. Heavyweight Championship

Grand Prix Wrestling Live Show (May) From The Maritimes

308 in attendance

The Spoiler beat Yvon Cormier

Karl Von Schotz beat Bobby Kay

Gerry Morrow beat The Cuban Assasin to retain the Grand Prix Light Heavyweight Championship

Kurt Von Hess beat Steve Casey

Great Malumba and No Class Bass beat Team Symphony

Pierre Lefebvre beat Big Steven Petitpas

Phil Laphon beat Del Wilkes

Universal Pro Wrestling Live from Kanto

352 in attendance

Kantaro Hoshino beat Rusher Kimura to retain the UPW Championship

Osamu Kido beat Akira Maeda

Kazuo Yamazaki beat Tatsutoshi Goto

Ryuma Go beat Gran Hamada

Shunji Kosugi beat Nobuhiko Takada

Hiroshi Hase beat Shinichi Nakano

Masahiro Chono beat Keiichi Yamada

Your write ups are good. Keep up the great work with this.

Also, since it was before the start of the game, in time frame, I think that you probably should have put in at least a protege/mentor relationship with The Destroyer and Dory Funk Jr, since they also trained Misawa along with Baba before he entered AJPW.

Tough break on that loss....sounds alot like my games when I first start and I'm near the bottom of the card;work yourself up to a "lower level" title shot then spend forever trading the darn thing back and forth with a same very small group of guys for a while(In my D.O.T.T. rookie game,working for CSTATE,I won the TV Title as a Lower Midcard in the first four weeks of starting the game,then wrestled noone but Hercules Hernandez,for the next seven months.).There is a light at the end of the tunnel though;most time if you can manage to rack up more than than losses while trading the belt,eventually your overness will go up enough that you'll move up the card a little and eventually,you're over enough to be booked against the majority of the roster instead of chasing the same title for months.

I actually gained overness in Japan from that loss.

@Lou: I was going to, but I thought it might make things a little too easy if I had that many mentors.

Side Note: I would have tried to become friends with Flair too, but Hansen cleaned me out. Jerk. ;_;

It was one month ago today that tragedy struck, as Mitsuharu Misawa died in the ring. What was going to be a relatively routine Belly to Back Suplex turned fatal when Misawa, for whatever reason, didn't protect himself correctly. This caused the top four vertebrae that connect the neck to the shoulders to dislocate, cutting the spinal cord and sending Misawa into cardiopulmonary arrest. I started this diary as somewhat of a tribute to him and all that he had accomplished. I truly wish that this tragedy had never happened, but there is nothing I can really do about it right now other than to remember him fondly.

So that we all may remember him the way he should be, I present a video of Misawa, doing what he loved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8PLkjfwZvU

Such a shame,it's still kind of hard to believe.When you think about it,the accident happened on what would today be considered a "weak" move by most fans (Belly to Back Suplex)....Bruno Sammartino suffered nearly the same on a "simple" Bodyslam,same with Austin on a "regular" Piledriver...but still many folks aren't happy unless guys are doing triple 360 moonsaults or throwing people through tables(the regular or flaming variety),rolling around in tacks,or some similar foolishness that is ALOT more dangerous than these so-called "simple" moves....guys out there getting pushed right out of the box without much in the way of experience outside of what they learned in school,doing these crazy spots....then wonder why I say stuff like "Sports Entertainment" opening up the business and ECW style "nothing but high spots without ever educating the fans" about the moves ruined professional wrestling.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to get back into the groove of things, I'd do a little exhibition match between me(Misawa) and Kawada. I'm just gonna post it in the E-Commentary style, but it was a fun little match that I thought I would share.

Mitsuharu Misawa hit the Back Kick

Mitsuharu Misawa hit the European Uppercut

Toshiaki Kawada counters by reversing on Mitsuharu Misawa.

Toshiaki Kawada hit the Clothesline

Mitsuharu Misawa slipped out the back of the Grounded Side Headlock.

Mitsuharu Misawa hit the Dropkick into the Corner

Toshiaki Kawada took the blow, but just shrugs it off and goes on the attack.

Toshiaki Kawada applied the Front Facelock

Toshiaki Kawada hit the Single Leg Trip

Toshiaki Kawada with the Side Headlock. Mitsuharu Misawa has got to be careful out there...

Toshiaki Kawada applied the Grounded Front Facelock

Toshiaki Kawada applied the Grounded Hammerlock

Toshiaki Kawada applied the Double Knee Rear Chinlock

Toshiaki Kawada with the Side Headlock. Mitsuharu Misawa has got to be careful out there...

Mitsuharu Misawa slipped out of the Double Knee Rear Chinlock.

Misawa and Kawada lock up in a Collar and Elbow Tie Up...

Toshiaki Kawada finds himself on the receiving end of a Standing Side Headlock...

Oh! Mitsuharu Misawa shows some fine wrestling knowledge with that Takedown!

Mitsuharu Misawa applied the Body Scissors

Mitsuharu Misawa hit the Legdrop

Mitsuharu Misawa applied the Double Knee Rear Chinlock

Toshiaki Kawada broke the Double Knee Rear Chinlock.

Mitsuharu Misawa rolled through with the Arm Wringer.

Misawa with a Full Arm Drag and Twist...

Mitsuharu Misawa hit the Knife Edge Chop

And Mitsuharu Misawa clamps on a Standing Side Headlock...

Toshiaki Kawada hit the Shoulder Block

... And Toshiaki Kawada applies the side headlock on Misawa

Toshiaki Kawada applied the Grounded Arm Bar

Mitsuharu Misawa blocked the Grounded Front Facelock.

Mitsuharu Misawa blocked the Grounded Hammerlock. This is the second block in a row, and Mitsuharu Misawa takes control.

Mitsuharu Misawa hit the Dropkick

Toshiaki Kawada broke the Body Scissors.

Mitsuharu Misawa slipped out the back of the Front Facelock.

Mitsuharu Misawa hit the Kick To Thigh

Toshiaki Kawada blocked the Short Arm Judo Toss.

Toshiaki Kawada slipped out the back of the Arm Wringer Back Kick.

Toshiaki Kawada hit the Forearm To Gut

Kawada goes to work on Misawa's arm with that Standing Arm Bar...

Toshiaki Kawada hit the Single Leg Trip

Toshiaki Kawada applied the Grounded Hammerlock

Mitsuharu Misawa find himself at the receiving end of a Side Headlock...

Toshiaki Kawada applied the Double Knee Rear Chinlock

Toshiaki Kawada applied the Rear Chinlock

Toshiaki Kawada applied the Grounded Arm Bar

Toshiaki Kawada has got the arm... Kawada begins grinding his forearm into that shoulder...

Mitsuharu Misawa blocked the Straddled Arm Bar.

Mitsuharu Misawa broke the Driving Body Scissors.

Mitsuharu Misawa displays his impressive athletic abilities with that Scissors Takedown!

Toshiaki Kawada moved and the Flip Legdrop missed!

Misawa gets blasted with a Knee Jab. Toshiaki Kawada shows good form with that one...

Mitsuharu Misawa slipped out of the Arm Bar with Forearm Grind.

Mitsuharu Misawa hit the Repeated European Uppercuts

Mitsuharu Misawa hit the Double Underhook Suplex

And there it is...Yes, a very nice figure four cross leglock on Kawada...

Mitsuharu Misawa hit the Flip Legdrop

Toshiaki Kawada moved and the Flip Legdrop missed!

Kawada has a body scissors lock applied to Misawa... Wow! Driving Body Scissors!!

Mitsuharu Misawa moved and the Knee Jab missed!

Toshiaki Kawada moved and the Arm Wringer Triple Kick missed!

Toshiaki Kawada displays that amateur background, putting together a Hammerlock Takedown

Mitsuharu Misawa broke the Straddled Arm Bar.

The European Uppercut was countered into a Judo Sweep.

And Kawada starts grinding his forearm into Misawa's shoulder...

Mitsuharu Misawa with the Tiger Driver!! That was a very nice move...

Mitsuharu Misawa picks up Toshiaki Kawada from behind.

Mitsuharu Misawa hit the Spinning Arm Drag

Toshiaki Kawada counters by fighting back.

Mitsuharu Misawa slipped out the back of the Hammerlock Single Leg Takedown.

Toshiaki Kawada slipped out of the Side Suplex.

Kawada throws Misawa to the mat with a Short Arm Deep Hip Toss!

Kawada has a body scissors lock applied to Misawa... Wow! Driving Body Scissors!!

Toshiaki Kawada moved and the Roundhouse Body Kick missed!

A stalemate happens as neither competitor can take the advantage.

Toshiaki Kawada hit the Triple Forearm Blow

And Kawada starts grinding his forearm into Misawa's shoulder...

Mitsuharu Misawa moved and the Grounded Arm Breaker missed!

Toshiaki Kawada hit the Abisegiri

Toshiaki Kawada has got the arm... Kawada begins grinding his forearm into that shoulder...

Toshiaki Kawada has got Misawa's arm locked in that Straddled Arm Bar... that looks painful.

Kawada begins to put pressure on Misawa's wrist with that Leg Braced Wrist Lock.

Mitsuharu Misawa blocked the Spinning Toe Hold Submission.

Mitsuharu Misawa blocked the Triangle Choke. This is the second block in a row, and Mitsuharu Misawa takes control.

Misawa with a Full Arm Drag and Twist...

Misawa and Kawada lock up in a Collar and Elbow Tie Up...

The Strong Knife Edge Chop was countered into a Shooter Takedown.

Mitsuharu Misawa slipped out the back of the Rolling Short Arm Scissors.

Toshiaki Kawada slipped out of the German Suplex.

Mitsuharu Misawa moved and the Enziguri Kick missed!

Mitsuharu Misawa applied the Rear Chinlock

Toshiaki Kawada moved and the Double Leg Bridging Roll Up missed!

Mitsuharu Misawa slipped out the back of the Japanese Dangerous Brainbuster.

Toshiaki Kawada slipped out of the German Suplex.

Mitsuharu Misawa broke the Leg Trip Step Over Leg Lock.

Mitsuharu Misawa hit the Strong Knife Edge Chop

The Rolling Elbow was countered into a Side Headlock Takedown.

Mitsuharu Misawa slipped out the back of the Triangle Choke.

Toshiaki Kawada blocked the Standing Belly To Back Suplex.

Toshiaki Kawada blocked the Standing Belly To Back Suplex. This is the second block in a row, and Toshiaki Kawada takes control.

ENZIGURI!!!!!! Kawada... Kawada... Kawada!!!!!

The referee begins the count...

1!

2!

Kick Out!

Mitsuharu Misawa broke the Leg Trip Step Over Leg Lock by reaching the ropes.

The Japanese Dangerous Brainbuster was countered into a Kick To Thigh.

ENZIGURI!!!!!! Misawa... Misawa... Misawa!!!!!

Mitsuharu Misawa climbs the turnbuckles.

Did you see how Misawa twisted in mid-air?? Tiger Splash!!!

The referee begins the count...

1!

2!

This Could Be It!

The referee's hand starts coming down...

3!

Archived