Not sure what to do with talent - In Transition

Ok so here's the deal,

I'm playing as the WWE and from the moment I started, my goal was to create new talent on the top of the card. It was a tough process but I'm at the point where I have about 7 guys who are ready to move up to the main event, but aren't sure how I'll do that.

Jack Swagger has held my US title off and on for months, coming out on top in his feud with multiple wrestlers. Once I put Vince as his manager he seemed to really take off. Now he wants to be a main eventer, and he really should. His overness is in the 80's and I want to create a chance for him to truly break out. But I don't want to put him in a main event feud that ends up with him on the wrong end of the stick.

--

I spent 8 months building to an AJ Styles/Jeff Hardy feud that began during my Royal Rumble "King of the Rumble" qualification matches (a tournament that ended with the winner challenging Edge for the World Title). At that time, Styles and Hardy were both faces and loosely aligned. However Styles wasn't ready to be moved up in the card yet, and I positioned Hardy to move into a three way feud with Chris Jericho (at the time a heel) and Big Show (a recently turned face) after WrestleMania (Hardy was traded to RAW).

During that feud I alternated between Jericho and Hardy winning, with the Big Show involved to create downtime inbetween matches, though eventually Jeff began to snap when Jericho developed the mental upper hand. Though he was a face, he became obsessed with becoming champion. Styles would try to reign Hardy in, only for Hardy to blow off his advice.

The entire feud came to it's peak at the Great American Bash. Jericho retained his title against Hardy and after I had Jericho offer respect and Hardy spit in his face. The next night on RAW, I pulled a double turn with Hardy turning heel and Jericho face. Hardy won his rematch and put Jericho on the shelf. To close the show, Styles stood in shock as the friend he once respected turned into someone he didn't.

That began my Hardy/Styles feud. Styles is finally ready to be moved up the card to main eventer, but am worried I'll end his momentum if Hardy wins this feud. I'm considering putting the strap on Styles, and then having him feud with Swagger, while Hardy takes a break from the main event title picture while he fights with Triple H (I had Hardy snap and take out Stephanie after she tried to strip him of the title).

--

Meanwhile CM Punk, Edge and Orton are feuding over in the Main Event on Smackdown. Edge & Orton needs to take some time off to heal some nagging injuries. There isn't anyone a "vet" in a heel or face capacity that I want to use as an opponent.

Taker's working down in FCW with HBK (who retired) working with the new talent.

HHH is set to feud with Hardy, and I have 4 other guys who are ready to move up but i don't want to screw up their momentum.

--

How do you guys book your guys who are really close to being main event and transition them into a major feud w/o them being sabotaged?

And what do you do when you find yourself about to be overwhelmed with main event talent?

How do you guys book your guys who are really close to being main event and transition them into a major feud w/o them being sabotaged?

And what do you do when you find yourself about to be overwhelmed with main event talent?

Just having your guys aligned/interacting with main event talent should help the fans see them as such - and thus they move up the card. A look at bp42's diary for his handling of Ace Newton, a zero overness worker whose loose alliance with two of the top names has moved him up the card over the space of a year, could show you how even a losing wrestler can get over.

Just because a worker loses his transitional feud won't necessarily make him dump his momentum - a high profile loss in a glamour match is much better than a low profile win in the dark match, after all. If your guy has the talent set required for WWE, they'll still shine.

As for workers who need to take a break, either draft them to ECW, send them to development for training, drop them in the tag ranks or have them get upset over the lack of respect (real or imagined, slight or severe) from an undercard guy. Edge could have wonderful matches with Jaime Noble, for example. There's nothing wrong with them losing to up-and-comers, either. No-one's invincible, and it could be the loss that propels the winner up the card.

One other thing: No-one says your guys have to be working matches. They can just do angles. Five minutes of Edge/Punk/Orton chatting backstage will keep them happy, keep the fans happy, and keep you happy :)

I do exactly what works in reality: I use some excess main eventers in feuds with the midcard which I use to elevate people I want to elevate. I think it's a fatal fallacy to believe that main eventers only work with other main eventers. It's false and has been proven false repeatedly in the past (hi, who's Jericho feuding with? What card level is the title they feuded over?).

One other thing: No-one says your guys have to be working matches. They can just do angles. Five minutes of Edge/Punk/Orton chatting backstage will keep them happy, keep the fans happy, and keep you happy :)

This. It's another trench of wrongness people fall into, thinking their top people can/should only be used in matches. Wrong wrong wrong-wrong-wrong. As an example, I have Lauren Easter as a main eventer but she's a face and so is my current champion (Sara Marie York) and I'm not ready for a double title change just yet. So what do I do with Lauren (who is perhaps the most talented worker on my roster)? She hosts a talk show. Sometimes, the guests get froggy and leap and a match results but it's not a result of an orchestrated storyline. She just keeps people in line. In the meantime, she gets ring time, work on her entertainment skills, momentum, and overness. She'll feud with Agent 69 next and Bethany Hurst (and her client, Christy Higgins) will host a talk show and accomplish the exact same thing. Also, Melanie Florence has a talk show as well and sometimes they combine and co-host (works better with Wanda Fish who is the heel color commentator to Melanie's face).

Or, like James Casey said, just throw in a segment with the main eventers talking or walking backstage or bursting into the GM/authority figure's office or something. They won't whine if they're used on a show, no matter what capacity it's in.

I do exactly what works in reality: I use some excess main eventers in feuds with the midcard which I use to elevate people I want to elevate. I think it's a fatal fallacy to believe that main eventers only work with other main eventers. It's false and has been proven false repeatedly in the past (hi, who's Jericho feuding with? What card level is the title they feuded over?).

This is exactly the trap i tend to fall into. Especially when playing bigger companies. I tend to want like with like. I don't think enough about doing the kind of thing Remi's describing here. But that's not just a game-specific problem either. I don't always see this effect when it's in play in the real world. Like I've been wondering for weeks why they finally decided to depush The Great Khali rather than seeing the elevation of Dolph Ziggler.

Archived