1983- World's Best Tournament

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joint Promotions(UK) Tournament, B Bracket, Finals:

Johnny Saint vs. Brian Maxine

It starts off with Saint trapping Maxine in the figure four arm lock,snap mare and Saint shows off his mat wrestling skill,tying Maxine up for almost three minutes in amatuer style series of holds....headlock to hammerlock to facelock to knee pull and back again;Maxine finally gets to the ropes but when he gets up Saint dumps him a big running forearm into a wrenching head scissors...series of intermediate levels holds working the arm and leg and five minutes in Maxine finally gets an advantage and goes to a front facelock.Couple of forearms and Saint comes back with a standing arm breaker to a long wrenching hammerlock,Maxine looks almost ready to go out....Maxine makes a rope and comes back with a long series of head and face locks,he takes Saint down and works his neck with head and face locks for an extended spell,worked a straddled arm bar and leg twist...after this it breaks down into a reversal sequence/small fistfight for a VERY long time,but neither guy can get in more than the occasional european uppercut or double knee lift before the other slips out,it finally ends up Saint down and Maxine working a head scissors....long sequence sees Maxine working the leg and neck until Saint starts to tire;he picks Saint up to deliver one last big move.....countered by Saint into a Leg Trip Step Over Leg Lock!Is it.......Yes,Saint has won!A very amtuer wrestling style match here,crowd hated it.

Johnny Saint def. Brian Maxine in via submission in 16:50

Rating: F

Johnny Saint will face Jim Breaks, 2/3 falls, to determine the tournament winner and the title "Best of Joint Promotions";the winner goes on to face Mighty John Quinn, 2/3 falls, for the title "Best of the UK" and entry into the "World's Best" Tournament representing the Untied Kingdom.

Predictions welcome.

Joint Promotions(UK) Tournament, Grand Finale:

Crybaby Breaks vs. Johnny Saint, 2/3 Falls

Beautiful amatuer style work to start....breaks leads with a face lock,into a headlock takeover and works the head with the headlock and face lock...Saint with a switch into a rear amatuer takedown,then controlling the arm for two miutes with the arm bar and hammerlock.Breaks breaks the arm bar and they come back to standing....trade arm wringers and face locks...Breaks is coming off worse,Saint tries to capitalize but every bigger move he tries is countered and he ends up in a standing headlock for quite a while....Breaks ends the trend of pure wrestling with a pair of right hands and a forearm,he goes back to working the headlock and arm bar,and the crowd is on his case with the "Crybaby!" chant.Saint digs deep and reverses to a hammerlock singleleg....he works a stiff head scissors but Breaks makes the ropes,so Saint reapplies the hammerlock,into a singleleg again...again Breaks on the rope,this time he mares Saint down and goes back to the arm with straddled arm bars.Saint manages to get Breaks off and recover,he catches him with a double knee lift,now Saint is working the arm...Saint really shows the ground skills,going from arm to leg with cross leg locks,arm bars and head and arm locks.Breaks reverses,recovers,head scissors with a twist on Saint...breaks backs off...Saint gets the knee jab as he recovers!Breaks goes to town on the arm,setting up his finisher....whenever Saint looks to be getting his senses back,he drills him with another knee jab;it goes on for close to four minutes before Saint makes the ropes to force the break.Series of standing switches ends up with Saint in the bodyslam position....Breaks walks to the ropes.....throat first flap jack,the Guillotine Whip! Cover..1...2...Saint is out!Breaks looks for the Breaks Special but Saint keeps getting away but can't get offense in,the stalemate ends with Saint with a furthered half nelson takedown,both men tired....Saint working the head scissors,Breaks reverses....Japanese Self Stranglehold!Ref is checking it out....No,Saint escapes!Breaks with a forearm...ducked...Saint Special!1....2...Breaks is out at two and a half!Crotch Hold and Slam by Saint!1....2....Breaks is out!Stalemate....finally ends with a Guillotine Whip by Breaks but the red saw it he's admonishing Breaks and Saint recovers!Lady of The Lake by Saint!No,Breaks got out!Saint Special!1....2....Breaks is out!Stalemate.....ends with Saint being out of position,Breaks applies the Breaks Special!Ref checking.....Saint can't escape,he gives up!Breaks with the first fall.

Match restarts...Breaks wastes no time....Guillotine Whip!Ref steps in so no cover but Saint is still down....breaks scoops him.....British Piledriver!1...2....3!Breaks takes it in two straight in a great match the fans loved.

Jim Breaks def. Johnny Saint in two straight falls in 26:00

Rating: A+

Jim"Crybaby" Breaks takes the title "Best of Joint Promotions"!

Johnny Saint will serve as alternate is case of problems.

Jim Breaks will now meet Mighty John Quinn, 2/3 falls, in a special "one off" match, to determine the title "Best in the UK" and entry into the 'World's Best" series.

Predictions welcome.

Crybaby Breaks was a great talent. His beating Johnny 'The Man' Saint is not at all surprising.

And to beat him with the Breaks Special is almost poetic. :)

As a long-time fan of unique heels, I have to go with Breaks in the 'Best of the U.K.' match -- though my instincts want me to side with the bigger and mightier Quinn. Still... the Breaks Special can bring the biggest of them down to their knees. And John Quinn will be no exception.

Crybaby Breaks was a great talent. His beating Johnny 'The Man' Saint is not at all surprising.

And to beat him with the Breaks Special is almost poetic. :)

As a long-time fan of unique heels, I have to go with Breaks in the 'Best of the U.K.' match -- though my instincts want me to side with the bigger and mightier Quinn. Still... the Breaks Special can bring the biggest of them down to their knees. And John Quinn will be no exception.

I agree,actually if you looked at it,with Breaks and Saint you have two skilled guys who were also over,plus they pulled an A+,so to me it was a good finals match.

I also tend to think Breaks will win,as Quinn was submitted by Chic Cullen before going on to win that tourney....whereas Breaks is undefeated, has the skills to tie Quinn up,esp. on the mat where Quinn seemed to struggle, and also the overness on his side to give him the energy to hang in there long enough to wear the big man down.

No matter what though, those who watch regularly watch "World of Sport" will be guaranteed to never hear the end of the bragging from "Crybaby" after this one. :)

And let me just add:

I want to thank you and the good Captain (and thatoneguy, of course) for taking the time and energy to write these 'diaries' out for us here. Each of you continue to showcase the higher qualities of both the game and the data on a regular basis.

Most importantly -- it's simply a blast to follow.

More than a few times, you chaps have inspired me to fire up the game and touch base with the nostalgia of it all.

For that, I thank you.

And let me just add:

I want to thank you and the good Captain (and thatoneguy, of course) for taking the time and energy to write these 'diaries' out for us here. Each of you continue to showcase the higher qualities of both the game and the data on a regular basis.

More than a few times, you chaps have inspired me to fire up the game and touch base with the nostalgia of it all.

For that, I thank you.

We're the ones that should be thanking you for bringing the DOTT to us.

Until cable came into my area, all I knew was the WWWF and what I read in the wrestling magazines.

And let me just add:

For that, I thank you.

I agree with Captainlou; when I first got into the WS series with the default data, I thought it was on "O.K."; it wasn't until I discovered D.O.T.T. that I really started to love the game...the detail and care put into it is just superb, on the level of a professional release for commercial sale.With me being "Stuck in the 70's/80's"(or so me friends say),something on the level of D.O.T.T.,combined with Adam's excellent fighting engine, is THE game I have been looking for when it comes to wrestling....heck,most of the time my diary entries practically write themselves;I just watch some classic wrestling, then fire up WS/WS2 and "run with it".:)

My experience in wrestling is almost exactly the same as Lou: Growing up in WWWF/WWF country...."Historical" Agriculural Hall, where many an episode of "Pre-Wrestlemania" WWF TV was taped(I was there when Piper helped Snuka make "a little fruit salad":)), is within walking distance of my house,which pretty much meant that was the only wrestling I knew.In the early 80's,our cable company started carrying WTBS,plus a few local stations started picked up shows like "CWA Wrestling" and WWC Wrestling in syndication,that exposed me to all sorts of "different" wrestling than I had seen before.I can remember buying publications like PWI,Inside Wrestling, and Ringside Wrestling when I started earning money on my own....I'd read about "far away" places like The Pacific Northwest and Mid South,I can remember wondering "Wow,that Jerry Lawler(or Dusty Rhodes,Austin Idol,Ted DiBiase,etc.) seems really good, I wonder what it's like to see him wrestle?"

Of course now with the internet,I've been able to go back and "catch up" on much of what I was missing out on in the wrestling world(as well as develop a deep understanding,appreciation,and love of "southern" booking)....and that's the beauty of D.O.T.T.,I fire it up and it's Saturday in the early 80's again....and I'm STILL the kid who stayed home on Saturdays "because there's 16 hours of wrestling on I don't want to miss"(3 hours of WWF,1 hour of NWA World Wide Wrestling,1 hour of WWC,1 hour of SWCW, then a 10 hour block from around the country on TBS starting with GCW at 6:05)

UK finals, 2/3 falls:

Jim Breaks vs John Quinn

And heeere we go.......suprisingly it is Breaks taking it to Quinn with Euopean Uppercuts,Forearms,and Punches......Breaks with a headlock takeover and he starts working the arm with arm bars and knee drives.Breaks switches off a few times to the headlock,Quinn forces his way out,fires off a badly aimed kick,and Breaks puts him back down with the headlock takeover and works the arm.Quinn makes the ropes but Breaks stays on him with forearms and punches,kick doubles Quinn up.....standing head scissors twist!Breaks really works the arm now,with straddled arm bars and a grounded arm breaker....Quinn forces the break,and ends up down again after Breaks applies the furthered half nelson,Breaks switching off between the arm and leg here....Quinn finally manages to defends himself enough to gain control,and clubs Breaks down to the mat.Quinn goes to arm and head locks,whenever he gets the headlock he turns his back to the ref and sneaks in a punch to the face......Quinn has to stop to rub his neck,he appears to be in pain.....oops,that gave Breaks time to recover,he dodges a kick and lands a series of european uppercuts!Breaks has the arm,looking for a Breaks Special......Quinn just overpowers Breaks with the one arm and pulsl him into a headlock!Quinn now,working the headlock,firing in punches and kicks...Breaks fires back.....Quinn fires back in turn,he lands an axe handle blow that puts Breaks down!He brings the forearm down across the face of Breaks.....again....now he slams Breaks face into the mat.....big axe handle....Quinn is choking Breaks with his boot,he has the ropes for leverage!Seated hammer, grounded axe handle....another choke.....Quinn is in control....now he's flexing for the crowd.....CRACK! Breaks recovered and caught Quinn mid-flex,he's applying the Breaks Special!Quinn is hurting......ref checks......Quinn toughs it out and twists free! Big double knee by Breaks puts him down.....Breaks has Quinn in The Boston Crab!Quinn struggles,and gets free!Stalemate now....neither can do anything decisive...Quinn gets advantage with an axe handle....now he's squeezing Breaks head like a ripe melon!Another axe handle....seated hammer....and a flurry of stomps!Quinn picks Breaks up,winds up,but is cut off by a forearm,it's a slugfest.....Quinn gets the upper hand,whips breaks into the corner...corner stomp flurry!Quinn turns Breaks over into The Boston Crab!Breaks is screaming in pain.....but he wriggles free and rolls Quinn into a Small Package!1...2....kick out!Breaks looking for the Breaks Special....no,Quinn with a go behind.....The Full Nelson!Breaks has nowhere to go.......ref lifts the arm to check.....1.......2......3,Breaks is out,Quinn takes the first fall!

Quinn keeps the pressure on wuth a huge choke,Breaks is hurting....but he rolls Quinn into The Small Package!1.....2....3!No,no Quinn barely kicked out!Breaks has the arm....CRACK!Breaks Special!Quinn immediately gives up,it is tied one fall each!

Third falls starts,and Quinn rushes Breaks......Breaks rolls under a big kick and takes it right back into The Breaks Special!Is this it?..............Yes,Quinn has given in,Breaks takes the win!The fans comes to their feet and applaud after a great match.

Jim Breaks def. John Quinn in three falls in 29:40

Rating: A

Jim Breaks takes the title 'Best in the UK', he will represent the UK in the World's Best Tournament!

John Quinn will serve as alternate.

<p><strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">AGPW (Canada) Tournament,Opening Round Seedings:</span></strong></p><p> </p><p>

1. Leo Burke vs. Lenny Montana</p><p>

2. Don Leo Johnathan vs. Big Stephen Petitpas</p><p>

3. Yvon Cormier vs. Steve Casey</p><p>

4. The Spoiler vs. "No Class" Bobby Bass</p><p>

5. The Cuban Assassin vs. Bobby Kay</p><p>

6. Kurt Von Hess vs. The Great Malumba</p><p>

7. Kal von Schotz vs. Pierre Lefebvre</p><p>

8. Pierre Martel vs. Gerry Morrow</p><p> </p><p>

Keep in mind these will be under single elimination rules.</p><p> </p><p>

Predictions welcome.(like we don't know who D.Boon's is going to pick:))</p>

APGW(Canada) Tournament,Opening Round:

Pierre Martel Vs. Gerry Morrow:

Lock up to start and it's Martel with a side headlock to open,and a series of punches and kicks capped off with a euopean uppercut.Martel goes to the arm with an arm wringer,Morrow switches to an arm wringer of his own...fireman's carry takedown.Morrow forgoes mat wrestling and drops elbows on Martel,along with kicks to the chest.Martel avoids a kick...lock up,side headlock by Martel and he comes in with some forearm blows.Hammerlock knee drive to a snap mare takes Morrow down for the first time,but he fires off punches while getting back to his feet,headbutt by Morrow does nothing,Martel grabs a side headlock,switch to a hammerlock by Morrow and he starts laying in the forearms to the back and neck of Martel.Slugfest won by Martel,he wrings the arm then leaps....knee arm driver!Martel gets nasty....he slams Morrow's head into the mat,uses the ropes to drive a knee in the head,then pins Morrow's arm and repeatedly stomps on it.....spread eagle stomp...rope assissted knee drop....rope assisted boot choke...warning from the ref and Morrow is getting killed!Spread eagle stomp....i think Martel might have hurt himself on that one,he's limping...Martel sets up for a piledriver...blocked!Morrow comes back with a flurry of punches,he picks Martel up and drops him throat first across the tope rope!Morrow goes for a big knee drop and misses...Martel lifts him and goes for the sleeper...no, Morrow turns it into an arm bar into a knee arm driver and spread eagle stomp to follow up!Morrow with the inside toe hold,Martel makes a rope and aks for the clean break....then sucker shots Morrow and puts his head between the knees....Cradle Piledriver!1....2.....Morrow out at two and a half!Martel is frustrated and tried to tie Morrow up in the ropes.....but Morrow gets the better half and turns it into a knee face driver...big knee drop.....rope assisted boot choke!Martel recovers and both men are tired,it becomes a stalemate....Martel with a go behind and locks in the sleeper!Ref checks....Morrow's arm falls once....twice....and Morrow fights free!Morrow can't follow up because he's too disoriented.....Martel again grabs a sleeper and really cinches it in!Morrow gets right out the sleeper and it's a stalemate until Morrow puts on a hammerlock....into a single leg takedown.Inside toe holds.....choke...now Morrow has the sleeper on Martel! Martel is fading.....fading.....but makes the ropes! Break and they come to the center of the ring,Martel with a big right that misses,Morrow scoops him.....Running Powerslam!1....2.....3!Morrow goes ahead and the crowd cheers,they loved it.

Gerry Morrow def. Pierre Martel via pinfall in 18:50

Rating:A

Karl Von Schotz vs Pierre Lefebvre

It looks like a boxing match to start, Karl with punches,Pierre blocks and fires back,about 90 seconds in Pierre grabs a headlock and take Karl over to the mat,he works him for two solid minutes with a series of knee pulls,head locks and arm bars,and karl is already fading a little.Karl has enough presence to roll away from a knee drop though,he grabs a headlock and hangs on until Pierre whips him into the corner,follow in,and delivers the mounted ten punch!Karl quickly recovers and lands a few punches to a hammerlock lnee drive....more punching...and Pieree fires back with the jab....another....another....series of jabs!Running clorhesline puts Karl down and Pierre drives the elbow into the arm....he picks Karl up.....series of lefts....series of rights....oh,the big finishing punch misses and karl starts hitting back with right hands....he finally gets smart and starts working Pierre's arm in between punches,allowing him to land a rapid flurry of right hands!Stalemate and Pierre recovers....now Pierre with a series of lefts....series of rights....running clothesline and he grabs an arm bar...pierre picks Karl up from behind....Abdominal Stretch!Karl wriggles free but pierre holds on...Sleeper!Karl is out,Pierre still holding on...another Abdominal Stretch!Karl is out,Pieree STILL holding in....big Vertical Suplex to a Floatover!1...2...Karl is out!karl goes to the eyes,Pierre responds with a punch....Vertical Suplex Floatover!Karl out a one and a half and he's dazed....Running Knee to the head!1....2....Karl kicks out! Pierre backs off for a running start......Karl hot shots him across the top rope,and the ref isn't happy.Series of rights....standing arm breaker and Pierre goes down....knee jab....seated hammer....choke.....a second knee jab misses and pierre quicklu sets karl while he's off balance....Leaping Piledriver!1....2....3!The Frenchman takes out the evil German in a decent match.

Pierre Lefebvre def. Karl von Schotz via pinfall in 17:50

Rating: C+

Archived