Wrestling Classics

This will be my other side project, along with the 1983 World's Best Tournament.Here we'll look some of the classic matchups and feuds from the kayfabe era from a WS2 perspective,as well as delve into some What If? "Dream-Match" type scenarios that never occured in the real world (due to interpromotional problems,promoter/worker egos,accidents/injuries,as well as matching up wrestlers from different era who could have never faced each other in their prime).

Discussion of all things "Old school" wrestling is both welcomed and encouraged.

Let's start with a classic....

Abdullah The Butcher Vs. Bruiser Brody

Two of the top "Wild Man" types in the business(possibly of all time).It seemed like these two guys fought each forever, especially in Puerto Rico.Whenever these two got together it was a wild brawl with the rules going out the window right off the bat,a "hardcore" feud long before Paul E. invented the term. Really each was the perfect opponent for the other in that both men liked to work stiff and use anything and everything they could get their hands on,and neither cared too much if the other did the same in return.The mystique of these two locking up was such that they were often brought in for "spot" appearances for many promotions big monthly shows since they didn't need a big build-up beforehand to get the fans into the match,all the promoter had to do was show some footage of the two in action and explain they'd be there for a match,and that was enough.People actually got scared and ran for their lives(and probably with good reason) when they did the "fight through the crowd" bit.

Let's see how they do in WS2; I'll run a 3 match,No DQ,No Time Limit,Falls Count Anywhere series in a little bit......

Predictions are,of course, welcomed.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As promised.....the first of a three match series, coming to you from the virtual arena....Hardcore,Regular style match(One Fall To A Finish, No DQ,Falls Count Anywhere)

Abdullah The Butcher vs. Bruiser Brody I

Abby takes advantage right from the bell and works a suprisingly effective and clean series, alternating between Basic Front Facelocks,Side Headlocks, and Forearm Blows.About at 90 seconds in Abby kicks off his trademark "dirty" style with an Eye Rake and a Punch....which has no effect whatsoever on the New Mexico Wildman.Long Hammerlock and finally after 3 minutes,Brody gets his first offense in after slipping a Forearm To The Back;Brody wastes no time pretending to be clean,immediately going for the eyes...it doesn't last long though as a Punch is counted with a Throat Thrust and it's Abby back on the attack.Basic brawling and just past 5 minutes in,Abby breaks out the infamous fork for the first time and gets Brody in the arm.Frist big move of the match right after as Abby gives Brody a Stomach Breaker....Brody gets up angry,puts Abby in the corner and proceeds to beat the snot out of him for a good 2 minutes before Abby gets free and works a Hammerlock Takedown(Abby must have watched some Nick Bockwinkle tapes:)) There's the fork again,Brody gets right in the throat this time,but all that did was make Brody mad;he gets up and punches and kicks away until Abby falls down,then tried to twist his head right off!Abby gets away as the fans begin to taunt him,he receives some messages from above...the jabs Brody in the head with the fork ....and again it just makes Brody mad(nice psychology by the CPU),he boots Abby to the floor and chokes him.Now it's a classic Abby/Brody brawl as they beat the heck out of each other....exchange of running moves,chops,axe handles....you name it.At 15:40 Brody slams Abby's face into the mat and busts him open.Brody goes to do his classic "Huss!Huss!" routine as Abby lays there,but Abby counters by grabbing his leg and biting it.Ground Arm Bar....and there's that fork again,Abby digs it into Brody's shoulder,both men are looking bad...And Abby goes into full "Madman From The Sudan" mode as he repeatedly stabs Brody with the fork and bites him.Abby with the Sudanese Meat Cleaver.....MISSED!Brody covers.....kick out at two!Brody up and nails him with the Brody Big Boot.....Brody goes airbone for a big knee.....MISSED!Abby covers....kick and at two and a half!It's now nearing the 19 minute mark as Abby ties Brody up in the ropes and punches him in the face over and over...and now Brody is bleeding.Cover...Brody kicked out at two.Abby clotheslines Brody over the top rope and the action goes outside....the fans are booing heavily now as Abby takes his wrist tape off and chokes Brody out....And here we go! Fork to the head...Abby chokes Brody out with the mic cord.....Sudanese Meat Cleaver misses,cover....1........2........Abdullah out at the last second!Brody(who is now bleeding pretty good after having his face slammed into the arena floor) gets a chair and nails Abby in the head..............1..............2......Abby kicks out!Brody scoops Abby up....Running Powerslam.....ONTO A CHAIR!1..............................2...............................3!

The Winner.....in 21:10.....Bruiser Brody!

Rating: A+

Crap... I failed to see the initial No DQ rule.

I'm amending it to 'Brody wins the series, but Abby takes one of the matches'.

I'll even be cheeky by saying that Brody wins the first match. :D

Seriously... that was a cool match. I love that Receiving Messages from Above move, lol. It's even better when they follow it up with a Fork Attack.

Crap... I failed to see the initial No DQ rule.

I'm amending it to 'Brody wins the series, but Abby takes one of the matches'.

I'll even be cheeky by saying that Brody wins the first match. :D

Seriously... that was a cool match. I love that Receiving Messages from Above move, lol. It's even better when they follow it up with a Fork Attack.

Yeah,I made it No DQ since almost everyone of their matches I have ever seen,either Abby or Brody wipes out about 4 refs within the first 3 minutes of action,then they go to the outside,but they never get called for it......they rare times they announced a double count out,they'd keep fighting for 10 more minutes after the match ended anyway.....besides,it gives them a chance to do their "typical" stuff without that darn WS2 ref getting mad at them. :)

Abby did good at the beginning and had himself about 15% ahead on the energy,i was wondering if it would be a runaway win,but that darn Brody just kept getting back up and eventually won with 10% energy left.

I was impressed with how the CPU worked the "fork gouge" spot the first 2 or 3 times...Abby would gouge Brody,then Brody would shrug off the next move and start hitting his punches and kicks...one of those magical moments this game can have where it does a spot so well you could really picture it in head and it gets you into the match for real.

Funny thing is,the way it worked out was Abby hit Receiving Messages From Above,Brody rushed his next move,then Abby countered a Running Clothesline with Fork Jab To The Forehead....I could almost picture Abby with his eyes rolled up,Brody charging,then Abby turns and catches him with the fork on the way in.

...one of those magical moments this game can have where it does a spot so well you could really picture it in head and it gets you into the match for real.

This sums up perfectly why I love Wrestling Spirit so much.

A lot of people have gotten enjoyment out of D.O.T.T. for TEW over the years. But in many ways, I feel the WS2 version of the scenario is what D.O.T.T. was always meant to be.

As you've mentioned... in more matches than not, you'll come across a segment or two that go beyond the imagination; something so 'true-to-form' that you can't help but just busting out in laughter.

This sums up perfectly why I love Wrestling Spirit so much.

A lot of people have gotten enjoyment out of D.O.T.T. for TEW over the years. But in many ways, I feel the WS2 version of the scenario is what D.O.T.T. was always meant to be.

As you've mentioned... in more matches than not, you'll come across a segment or two that go beyond the imagination; something so 'true-to-form' that you can't help but just busting out in laughter.

Exactly....though I hate to use this kind of terminology(I feel it is not respectful),in this case I must,because it sums it up......it is the only game that at times can make me suspend my belief for just a moment or two and mark out for what is going on on my computer screen.

Brody struck first,will Abby get his revenge? It's.....

Abdullah vs. Brody II:

Match starts and Abdullah immediately administers a beatdown....this time it only goes 30 seconds before the rules are being ignored....Abby drags Brody's eyes across the top rope!Little sequence here sees Abby try to hit Brody but it doesn't work,but every time Brody can brush a move off,Abby goes to the eyes;finally Brody slips a Punch and rakes Abby in the eyes.Now they just hammer away on each other,to no effect until Brody switches gears and applies a Side Headlock...Abby goes to the eyes and few holds of his own,working Brody's arm...Brody breaks an Arm Bar and again they square up and trade punches,to no effect.This time Abby rakes the eyes and takes over,Brody on the receiving end of a good beating until he ducks a Forearm,and they begin exchanging technical holds.Abby goes for the eyes again to break a hold but Brody counters with a Bodyslam,pick Abby up and throw him into the corner,then smashes his head off the turnbuckle 10 times!

10 minutes in and both guys are still going strong....crowd gets a "Brody!Brody!" chant going,and Brody responds with a nice series of Head and Arm Locks to wear Abby down,and a big Running Clothesline!It's all Brody...Chop Flurry....Axe Handle Blow.....big punch coming....and Abby breaks out the fork,he gets Brody in the throat!Abby with chops.....fork to the throat!Now Brody os getting mad,he breaks a choke and starts pounding Abby with Axe Handle shots.....Abby with the fork to the throat!Now Abby is digging the fork into the head of Brody,Brody is bleeding!Abdullah delivers a BIG headbutt,and AGAIN the fork to the throat.....he's biting Brody on his leg!Abby is in full on "Butcher mode", stabbing Brody over and over in the throat and head with the fork...he picks Brody up...Stomach Breaker!Sudanese Meat Cleaver.....MISSED!Brody with a Falling Double Axe Handle.....MISSED! Brody staggers up,and Abby Clotheslines him,they both go over the top rope!Abby has the microphone,choking Brody with the cord...fork to the head...now Abby has a Chair.....he hits Brody in the head with it!Brody is bleeding badly......somewhere in the back Dusty Rhodes is yelling "Hey!That's MY Gimmick!".......Abby with the cover.....1....2.....Brody kicks out!Abby choking Brody down....carving Brody's head with the fork,Brody is now a total bloody mess....Abby measures....SUDANESE MEAT CLEAVER!1.....2.....NO!Brody is up!Abby scoops him up.....Giant Samoan Drop....ONTO A CHAIR!1.....2......3!Abby evens the series up!

The winner.....in a time of 21:00.....Abdullah The Butcher!

Rating B+(I think the lack of offense by Brody hurt this one)

Now THAT'S the Abdullah we all know and loathe!

The end of that last match was superb. It's the type of carnage you'd expect from those two madmen; chairs, microphone cords, forks... er... :D

Really cool stuff.

I was thinking the same as I was typing it out,another one of those magical moments I could picture on my TV screen...Abby really get going in that "classical" style of his,and the end was EXACTLY like the RL Matches I have seen footage of....kinda of a shame that Brody got so thoroughly whupped though,otherwise it probably would have been another A+ match....still,it WAS the kind of classic beatdown those of us who were around back then saw Abdullah lay on so many guys all over the country(and the world).

The first match saw Brody come back to put away The Butcher,the rematch saw Abdullah turn it up a notch and lay a ferocious beatdown on the New Mexico Madman....at 1 win a piece it goes to the rubber match....

Abdullah vs. Brody III: There Can Be Only One

Match starts and Abby right to the eyes,Brody slips him though,and takes him down with a Side Headlock Takeover.Short exchange of holds,Abby comes back and whips Brody into the corner and pounds him with elbows.He smashes Brody's head into the turnbuckle,but Brody's head is just too hard...Kick and Brody just glares at him,he grabs Abby and throws him into the corner,then smashes his head off the turnbuckle;Abby has a soft skull and it actually hurts him.Brody punxches away while mixing in a few holds,working Abby's arm.Brody with a Side Headlock,Abby pushes off and ends up behind Brody;he rakes Brody's eyes on the ropes,grabs his tights and uses them to pull Brody into a series of Forearm Smashes To The Back!Brody swings wildly until he gets free and they exchange holds,each working the arm of the other man.Abby has an Arm Bar locked in....and there's that fork...Jab to the Arm!Brody gets mad and tries to punch Abby,Abby counters with a Side Headlock,and he's digging the fork into Brody's Forehead!Break in action as Abby's eyes roll up into his head,he's Receiving Messages....he pulls out the fork and goes for Brody...Brody blocks it....suplex!9 minutes in and now Brody is doing it Lou Thesz style,he has Abby tied up on the mat, targetting the arm and neck with several holds....he's still Brody though,so he sneaks in some Stomps whenever he can.Axe Handle....Brody slams Abby's face into the mat,he still has Abdullah by the head....and a suspiciously low shot from Abby brings Brody to the mat,and now's it Abdullah chopping away at Brody's head.....Brody is busted open!He's biting Brody on the leg!Abby has the fork,Brody rolls clear....Now they muscle up and break each others moves until Brody gets an advantage and delivers the Standing Double Axe Handle...Brody measures...Running Chop To The Head!Abby ends up in the corner,Brody follows him in,Abby pushes him away,he has the fork again...Brody blocks the fork and Punches Abby in the face!Running Chop...Brody charges again....Abby ducks and turns into a Samoan Drop...ouch!Brody blocks the fork...Bear Squeeze...Abby reaches up and grabs a Side Headlock....and digs the fork in!Now it's Abby,he has Brody by the side of the head....Giant Headbutt!Arm Bar,Abby digs the fork intop Brody's Shoulder!Brody up,he charges....and is met by a Clothesline from Abdullah.....The Sudanese Madman is Biting Brody's Leg again!Brody gets up and he looks upset....he knocks Abby down with a Running Chop,again with a Running Clothesline...he comes in again,the end up in the ropes and Abby gets behind Brody.....Hammerlock,and a fork to the shoulder!Now they go at it,throwing Punches and Kicks,but both guys are blocking everything....Abby gets a Punch that stuns Brody....he grabs Brody by the head and throws him over the top rope to the floor!Brody is down,Abby follows him out,and stabs him in the forehead with the fork!Brody is bleeding badly.....Sudanese Meat Cleaver!Cover.....1.....2......3!Abby takes the series in a rather anti-climactic(not bad but bland in comparison to the first two matches) rubber match,Brody was just totally dominated.

The winner......in 18:40......Abdullah The Butcher!

Rating: C-(Brody had one of those "can't do anything" kind of days)

Abby winning it all is a bit of a surprise. But only because it was against Brody. After all, the Black Wizard was a monster.

A monster that screeched like a girl, perhaps - but still a monster. :)

Regardless, this was an entertaining series; thanks for running it. Any other match-ups lined up?

Not that I am making suggestions, but a couple of 'Dream Matches' I always wished to see:

1) Nick Bockwinkel vs. Ric Flair -- To decide, once and for all, who was the better World Champion of the 1980s. I know they met once or twice in Toronto for the Tunneys, but Bock was heading towards the end of his career - and, unless mistaken, he was not AWA Champion at that point.

2) The Spoiler vs. The Masked Superstar -- My two all-time favorite masked wrestlers. To illustrate how much I dug Jardine: when the Legion of Doom stable was at its height in Georgia, I thought The Spoiler was the prized jewel of that group. Yeah, the Road Warriors and Jake the Snake Roberts were cool, but it was The Spoiler that made me keep watching.

Anyways... thanks again for the effort you've put into this.

Abby winning it all is a bit of a surprise. But only because it was against Brody. After all, the Black Wizard was a monster.

A monster that screeched like a girl, perhaps - but still a monster. :)

Regardless, this was an entertaining series; thanks for running it. Any other match-ups lined up?

Not that I am making suggestions, but a couple of 'Dream Matches' I always wished to see:

1) Nick Bockwinkel vs. Ric Flair -- To decide, once and for all, who was the better World Champion of the 1980s. I know they met once or twice in Toronto for the Tunneys, but Bock was heading towards the end of his career - and, unless mistaken, he was not AWA Champion at that point.

2) The Spoiler vs. The Masked Superstar -- My two all-time favorite masked wrestlers. To illustrate how much I dug Jardine: when the Legion of Doom stable was at its height in Georgia, I thought The Spoiler was the prized jewel of that group. Yeah, the Road Warriors and Jake the Snake Roberts were cool, but it was The Spoiler that made me keep watching.

Anyways... thanks again for the effort you've put into this.

What suprised me was twice in a row Abby just opened up on Brody and dominated him.

Don't be afraid to make suggestions at all,I never turn down ideas...and yes Bockwinkel vs. Flair is definitely on my short list,for the same reasons.:)Funny you shoild mention The Spoiler;I was comtemplating a Spoiler vs. Dusty match,being as their picture is on the title screen, but Spoiler vs. Superstar works too.

This will be the one where I can really go full out with some neat scenarios(What if Buddy Colt were healthy and faced Ric Flair?What if Bobby Shane had lived?),I also want to do some historical matches (i.e. Terry Funk/Harley Race),and re-play some of the classic feuds (McDaniel/Valentine,Lawler/LeDuc)....maybe even run some tournaments in short form,like a Best of the NWA Champions kind of deal.....should be fun,and hopefully,a little educational.

Since D.Boon asked, and because I wanted to anyway....let's take a look at a dream match:

Ric Flair vs. Nick Bockwinkel

What can I say about Flair that hasn't already been said? In-ring skill, promo skills,psychology,abd a great work ethic....forget Luger, Flair IS The Total Package.Bockwinkle is one of the few who is at or near the same level.....for those that don't know, Bockwinkle is essentially the AWA's answer to Flair,and all around he is just about as good too,though a little older and slightly less over than Flair.Really both guys are a near mirror image,even portraying a somewhat similar type of character,and both being very good in the "Travelling Champ" role.Though the never got a chance to really meet in their prime(they both peaked around the same time though,Bockwinkle was a late bloomer),to see who the better man,they sure can in WS2

Again I'll run a three match series,this time it will be your standard one fall match,old school style(natch)......should it go to a third match, that will be a classic 2/3 Falls match.

Predictions are welcome.

And away we go.....

Bockwinkle vs. Flair I:

Flair with a Side Headlock Takeover and for two minutes he works Bockwinkle on the mat with Arm Bars and Headlocks,when he gets the chance he drives knees into Bockwinkle's leg.Nick slips out of a Headlock into a Standing Side Headlock on Flair,Beockwinkle is working standing holds,concentrating on the neck,and he's clearly already frustrated...as soon he has his back to the ref,Bockwinkle delivers a closed right hand to the face of Flair!Flair ducks a Forearm and delivers a Bodyslam;again he works Bock on the mat,this time going for the arm with Grounded Arm Bars and Hammerlocks,taking the time to drive the knee into Bockwinkle's arm as he transitions holds.Bockwinkle slips out of an Arm Bar and they go toe to toe,exchanging Punches and Forearms;Bockwinkle blocks a Chop,reaches around to grab a Side Headlock and starts wrenching the hold!Flying Mare and now Bockwinkle has Flair tied up on the mat,works alternately working Flair's knee and punching him in the head.90 seconds later,Flair breaks a Head Lock and takes over with Standing Arm and Head Locks....he draws back Flair Chop lights Bockwinkle up!Measures again....Bockwinkle blocks,grabs the arm and twists.Standing counter series;the crowd is really on the case of Bockwinkle here.Bock responds with a sneer,then a two minute sequence he basically ties Flair up with Face and Head Locks, then Punches him repeatedly,and that gets the crowd booing.Bockwinkle continuing to tie Flair up, Side Headlock Takeover,he works Flair's legs.....Flair finally manages to muscle out of a Head Lock,he has Bockwinkle's arm....Bockwinkle goes to the eyes!Flair is momentarily stunng....Bock slaps on the Hammerlock.....into a Single Leg Takedown!Crowd booing loudly as Flair gets back up...Bockwinkle with a nice Figure Four Armlock Takedown!Knee Jab....Bockwinkle with the Arm Bar,Flair makes the ropes....Bockwinkle stops to trade insults with the fans,and Flair decks him with a Forearm!Flair goes right for the head with a series of strikes and Head Locks.He grabs Bockwinkle's arm....Standing Arm Breaker!Now Flair working that arm.....Straddled Arm Bar.....Grounded Extended Wrist Lock.Flair back off,comes back in....Flair Measured Elbow Drop!Counter series,Flair gets Bockwinkle out of position,shouts "I'm the best,watch this!"...and delivers a Double Underhook Suplex to Bockwinkle!Bockwinkle makes the ropes,Flair throwing some shots,but Bockwinkle ducks under....Hammerlock Single Leg Takedown.Flair up,he ducks,Backslide! 1......Bockwinkle out at one and a half!He drives Bockwinkle into the corner....Flair Corner Chop Flurry....WHOOOOO!Flair has the tag rope,he choking Bockwinkle with it!He takes Bockwinkle Pillar To Post....Shouts "How do you like me now!"......Flair Corner Chop Flurry!Flair goes for the rope...Bockwinkle catches him offguard with a European Uppercut....series of European Uppercuts knocks Flair down...Bockwinkle applies a Head Scissors...and Wrenches it!Flair slips his head free....Flair lands a flurry of right hands....Standing Arm Breaker and Bockwinkle drops to the mat....Flair quickly takes the legs........ Flair Figure Four Leglock!Bockwinkle is screaming in pain....he tries to crawl to the ropes....no good.....he tries to turn Flair over....no good........that's it!Bockwinkle couldn't escape and had to give in....suprisingly,the crowd boos.

The Winner.....in 20:20......Ric Flair!

Rating: D

If it weren't for Flair's blatant cheating, you know Bockwinkel would have gotten the win.

You didn't see Nick Bockwinkel choking the Nature Boy with a tag rope, now did you? You didn't see Bockwinkel trapping his opponent in the corner and wailing away on them. No.

You saw Nick Bockwinkel try to bring class and professionalism to this match-up.

At least one man in the ring was thinking about the kids.

And despite what any Flair supporter might say, Bock did not start it with that closed fist punch. As a matter of fact, I have no idea what they're talking about. All I saw was a mat brilliance that confused and frustrated Ric Flair.

So why did the fans boo? Isn't it obvious? Flair cheated Bockwinkel out of the win. Plain and simple.

Even the 9-to-5 Ham and Eggers in the audience could tell you that much!

:D

If it weren't for Flair's blatant cheating, you know Bockwinkel would have gotten the win.

You didn't see Nick Bockwinkel choking the Nature Boy with a tag rope, now did you? You didn't see Bockwinkel trapping his opponent in the corner and wailing away on them. No.

You saw Nick Bockwinkel try to bring class and professionalism to this match-up.

At least one man in the ring was thinking about the kids.

And despite what any Flair supporter might say, Bock did not start it with that closed fist punch. As a matter of fact, I have no idea what they're talking about. All I saw was a mat brilliance that confused and frustrated Ric Flair.

So why did the fans boo? Isn't it obvious? Flair cheated Bockwinkel out of the win. Plain and simple.

Even the 9-to-5 Ham and Eggers in the audience could tell you that much!

:D

I could picture Bockwinkle saying just that in that post match interview too :)

Or even Bobby Heenan

Yeah,I think it would have gone...

Heenan:If it weren't for Flair's blatant cheating, you know Bockwinkel would have gotten the win.

Bockwinkel:You didn't see Nick Bockwinkel choking the Nature Boy with a tag rope, now did you? You didn't see Bockwinkel trapping his opponent in the corner and wailing away on them. No....You saw Nick Bockwinkel try to bring class and professionalism to this match-up;At least one man in the ring was thinking about the kids.

Heenan:So why did the fans boo? Isn't it obvious? Flair cheated Bockwinkel out of the win. Plain and simple...Even the 9-to-5 Ham and Eggers in the audience could tell you that much!

Okerlund:Strong words from the champ right there! Back to you!

Archived