Booking that makes your brain hurt

BurningHamster

Alright, I was at an indy show tonight and it kind of got me thinking about booking that just makes no sense and annoys the heck out of you.

The show I saw was good for a promotion that size and I had a good time but god damn the booking was insane. Almost every match had interference yet the refs ignored this and all matches until the main event ended with a pinfall (or submission in the one I Quit match).

Then there is the main event, a title match which starts out as a brawl all over the building. A dozen different weapons are used, the heels seconds interfere continually, the match is outside the ring about 10 minutes without any count out, the heels henchmen intentionally bump 2 refs to prevent pinfalls and they have to keep sending out more refs etc. How does this violent, lawless brawl end? Dusty finish DQ because after the babyface pins the heel and the count is made by one of the replacement refs, another ref disputes the legality of that referee making the count since he is not the official ref. So ... the match is overturned and the heel is declared the winner.

Now I understand trying to garner sympathy for the babyface by robbing him of the title etc but seriously ... A DQ in a match like that should never even be considered an option when I could have named about 40 other spots that night that should have been DQ's but weren't. It just ended an otherwise fun show on a really stupid note, up until the end I was unquestionably ready to go to their next show. That finish however makes me wonder if I should bother.

So, you guys got any examples of occasions when the booking of a match or show just really annoyed you?

TNA Sacrifice World Heavyweight Title Match

Angle vs. Jarrett vs. Foley vs. Sting

Sting pins Angle. Sting becomes head of the MEM but Foley is still the champ. WTF??? It wasn't a stupid match, it wasn't a stupid stipulation but no one had a clue what the stipulations were going into the match so no one had a clue why Sting wasn't the world champ which just ruined the whole match.

Also why was Sting's career on the line. I get he had to risk losing something to get into the match but why would anyone want to pin him? Pin Angle you become head of the mafia, pin Foley you become world champ and pin Jarrett you get control of TNA. There wasn't much incentive to pin Sting in that match and yet they didn't book it like that.

WWF Survivor Series

Team WWF vs. Team WWF Light (the alliance)

So the alliance are supposed to represent WCW & ECW but they had only two stars from those promotions (Booker & RVD). What business did Shane have in that match? How does the match end, how does the end of what should have been the greatest storyline go down? Kurt Angle turns on Austin. Why couldn't one of the teams just win? Why did it have to be a screwy finish. It didn't help anyone, it didn't build to anything. There has never been an ending to a match which left me as disgusted as this one.

And then the camera cuts to Stephanie McMahon, not Heyman, not the alliance locker room, no Stephanie sodding McMahon. Summed up the worst hash of a storyline imaginable.

I'd say that pretty much TNA's couple last years. :o The match sheepy mentioned aswell as the last King Of The Mountain match where Joe gave Angle the belt and pretty much all the stuff before it. The faces are whiny sobs while the heels are cool and supreme.

In defence of TNA from BFG last year onwards they where doing ok, still hit and miss like the ultimate sacrifice match not making the stip totally clear beforehand up untill Joe handing the belt to Angle. It is still intresting me but dammit Jannit.

Lately I find WWE's booking a lot iffier. Big Show crushing Kofi for what reason If you want to give him cred back as being a monster just give him some jobbers or let him win a fued? Splitting up Primo and Calrito, endelss false finishes. Rushing through storylines, Santina, pigs + vicky, the only long term fued being boring as hell and the two comeptitors not meshing (HHH + Orton). I know in general they do less wrong then TNA but they also do less right imho. Hell even their best curent fued in Rey vs Jericho makes no sense as Rey already lost his mask before. Credit to the great performers to still making it work.

Hell even their best curent fued in Rey vs Jericho makes no sense as Rey already lost his mask before.

It's pretty obvious from the beginning they're not gonna acknolwedge that...

And I didn't mind Angle turning on Austin. I didn't really feel the big match HAD to end on a clean decision, since there was heaps of mayhem going on in the match(I think twice everyone ended up brawling in and out of hte ring) not to mention Jericho's stint nearing the end, Shane's constant pin interruptions, Austin stunning someone while being the illegal man, and more... it just showed they were blazing guns and going all out and such. A big swerve at the end of the match wasn't too shabby IMO.

But really, what is bad booking? It's really becoming subjective these days, whatnot with internet fans pickpocketing at every single tidbit they dislike. I mostly watch WWE weekly shows on streams, and I cannot stand the amount of bitching in the chat. Somebody always has to find something to bitch about. Then, they make up their own theories on what the aftermath will be and which match will be announced because they've read X report from genericwrestlingnewssite.com. Then, when that thing doesn't happen, they get confused and start to bitch because that's totally out of their personal playbook and didn't see things going this way. But if it DOES happen, they're just gonna call the WWE predictable. Gets on my mongoose nerves.

Hehe yeah that's the smarks for ya reason I use torrents and not leave streams. Glad this community is 99 percent smart marks and not smarks. I know smarks is an acronym of smart marks, but lately it has been used to differantiate between the wining trolling bitching type and the respectfull analytical not overly opinionated but having a view type.

Archived