WWF vs. WCW 1991: The Pre-Monday Night War

Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker

Dusty Rhodes vs. Haku

Saba Simba vs. 'Stunning' Steve Austin

British Bulldog vs. Honky Tonk Man

Tito Santana vs. Randy Savage

Some real short matches on WCW worldwide Sting & Windham (5 minutes) Eaton vs Ole (2 minutes) Lyger & Mortan (3 1/2 minutes)

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WWF

Primetime Wrestling

Monday, Week 4, January 1991

Hartford Civic Center; Hartford CT

Tugboat defeated Billy Smith in 4:25 by pinfall with a Vertical Splash.

The announcing quality lifted the match. The colour commentary gave the match a boost. This match brought the crowd's mood down.

D-

==========================

Power and Glory defeated Shane Douglas and Scott Taylor in 4:48 when Hercules Hernandez defeated Scott Taylor by pinfall with a Lariat.

Slick did some good work at ringside. The announcing quality lifted the match. The colour commentary gave the match a boost. Hercules Hernandez is improving in Performance skills.

D

Jesse 'The Body' Ventura conducts an in-ring interview with the British Bulldog. They talk about Bulldog's match against Mr Perfect, this Sunday, as well as his match tonight, against the self-professed 'Greatest Intercontinental Champion of All Time', the Honky Tonk Man. Bulldog says that both of these opponents will soon learn how much fight is in this dog.

The Intercontinental Title storyline has continued with this segment. British Bulldog is developing better performance skills.

C+

The Undertaker defeated Shawn Michaels in 4:47 by pinfall with a Tombstone.

The Undertaker and Shawn Michaels have great chemistry (SWEET!), and it showed in their performances. The Undertaker is improving in Rumble skills.

B-

After the bell, The Undertaker looks to continue the assault. He picks up the fallen Shawn Michaels, and sends him crashing back down to the mat with a thunderous choke slam. He picks him up for a second, but lets Michaels go when Andre the Giant starts making his way out to the ring. The Undertaker rolls his eyes back, and drags his thumb across his throat, before exiting the ring, clearly wanting to settle things at the Royal Rumble.

The performance of The Undertaker looked good. Shawn Michaels looked dreadful in this segment. The Andre vs. Undertaker storyline has continued with this segment. This segment lifted the crowd.

B

Dusty Rhodes defeated Haku in 6:48 by pinfall with a roll up.

The announcing quality lifted the match. The colour commentary gave the match a boost.

C-

Following the match, Bobby 'The Brain' Heenan enters the ring, and starts to berate Haku over the loss. Things get a little heated, before Slick makes his way out to the ring, accompanied by The Warlord. Slick says that he's noticed that things aren't working out between Haku and Heenan, so he's proposing a solution that will fit everyone's groove. He offers a trade: The Warlord for Haku. Slick gets to bring out the potential in Haku, and Heenan gets to reunite the Powers of Pain. After a little back and forth, Heenan agrees, and the two managers shake hands.

The performance of Bobby Heenan looked good. Slick is learning to show more charisma. Slick is developing better performance skills. The Warlord is learning to show more charisma. The Warlord is developing better performance skills.

B-

The Million Dollar Corporation make their way out to the ring. Ted Dibiase and 'Stunning' Steve Austin cut a promo on the Rhodes Family, while Virgil stands guard. They promise that Austin's victory last week was only the beginning. Lightning may not strike the same place twice, but money can make anything happen, and lightning will strike again, at the Royal Rumble, when the Million Dollar Corporation shows the whole world that not only are they richer; they are better.

The performance of Million Dollar Man looked good. The Dibiase vs. Rhodes storyline has continued with this segment. Steve Austin is developing better performance skills.

C-

Steve Austin defeated Saba Simba in 4:45 by submission with a Million Dollar Dream.

The announcing quality lifted the match. The colour commentary gave the match a boost.

D

'Rowdy' Roddy Piper hosts another edition of Piper's Pit. His guest this week is the WWF President, Gorilla Monsoon. They talk about the Royal Rumble PPV, coming up this Sunday, with both men putting over the big match-ups, in an obvious attempt to increase buys. They then move on to the actual Royal Rumble match itself. Monsoon says that on this very show, Piper has hosted two of the biggest athletes in the match, but Monsoon has a surprise. The newest entrant in this year's Royal Rumble match is... 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper.

The Andre vs. Undertaker storyline has continued with this segment. Gorilla Monsoon is improving at acting.

B-

British Bulldog defeated Honky Tonk Man in 7:49 by pinfall with a Running Powerslam.

Mr Perfect joined commentary for the match.

British Bulldog was really off his game tonight. Jesse Ventura and Mr Perfect have pretty good chemistry when calling matches together. The announcing quality lifted the match. The colour commentary gave the match a boost. The Intercontinental Title storyline has continued with this match.

C+

'Mean' Gene Okerlund is joined by 'The Immortal' Hulk Hogan. Okerlund asks Hogan about Sgt Slaughter, and his assault on 'Hacksaw' Jim Duggan, on Superstars. Hogan talks about how cowardly an act the attack was, and how Slaughter is showing his true colors. At the Royal Rumble, Hogan will teach Slaughter a lesson that he'll never forget.

The Hogan vs. Slaughter storyline has continued with this segment. This segment lifted the crowd.

B+

Randy Savage defeated Tito Santana in 13:44 by pinfall with a Macho Elbow.

This match lifted the crowd. Randy Savage is improving in Performance skills. Tito Santana is improving in Rumble skills. Tito Santana is improving in Performance skills.

B-

A video plays, highlighting the electrifying career of The Ultimate Warrior. From his incredible run as Intercontinental Champion, to the main event of Wrestlemania VI, where he became the WWF World Champion, through the last 10 months, where he's reigned supreme.

This segment lifted the crowd.

A*

Final Rating: B-

Some real short matches on WCW worldwide Sting & Windham (5 minutes) Eaton vs Ole (2 minutes) Lyger & Mortan (3 1/2 minutes)

Yeah, most of that was to keep some people happy. I hadn't use Ole. Eaton was tired of jobbing... and I kinda of overbooked that one with Lightheavyweight tournament to kinda force the matches to where I needed them to semis.

Hopefully card will be up in next day or two. I'm working doubles which hurts the timing of when they will be done.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/SLAMBO1.gif

After weeks of conflict, Diamond Dallas Page and Tom Zenk will finally go at it... only each will have a partner. Diamond Dallas Page will team with a man who has dropped quiet a few matches to the Z-Man in Jack Victory. On the other side of the ring... the Television Champion, Tom Zenk will team with youngester, Tim Parker.

The hip-hopper, P. N. News will take on a wrestler debuting at Slamboree. Will P.N. News be able to conquer the unknown task or will the new superstar take out P.N. News?

Doom has issue an open challenge to any tag team to come to Slamboree and face them as they defend the World Tag Team titles. Will Doom's open challenge come back and bite them in the ass or will Doom keep on rolling with a victory?

In the first of two semi-final matches, Flyin' Brian Pillman goes against Ricky Morton. Pillman and Morton both try to continue the road to success. The other semi-final match will be Scotty the Body against Scorpio. All four men have their minds set on the goal. Who will it be?

The Fabulous Freebirds and The Steiner Brothers will finally come to fist. Freebirds' Hayes and Garvin will try to wrestle the United States tag team titles away from Scott and Rick, The Steiner Brothers. Will the Freebirds take the titles back to Badstreet Atlanta, Georgia or will Steiners be taking their titles back to Michigan?

Lex Luger will defend the World Championship Wrestling United States title against Four Horsemen member, Barry Windham. Luger has been the target for 'Ravishing' Rick Rude and Barry Windham in recently weeks, but at Slamboree... Barry Windham will be the one to try to become the United States Champion. Can Windham do it with or without the Horsemen help or will Luger prevail?

In the Main Event, 'The Nature Boy' Ric Flair and Sting will clash for the NWA World Heavyweight Champion in what could be another match for the record books. Can Flair once again become the champion of the world or will Sting hold on to the title for one more night?

PREDICTIONS

The Freebirds versus The Steiner Brothers - United States Tag Team Titles

Sting versus Ric Flair - NWA World Heavyweight Title

Tim Parker & 'Z-Man' Tom Zenk versus Diamond Dallas Page & Jack Victory

Lex Luger versus Barry Windham - United States Title

Scotty the Body versus Scorpio - Semi- Final Light Heavyweight

Brian Pillman versus Rcky Morton - Semi-Final Light Heavyweight

Winner Scotty/Scorpio versus Pillman/Morton - Final Light Heavyweight

Doom versus Mystery Team - World Tag Team Titles

Who will the tag team be [Hint:WWF Tag Team]:

P.N. News versus Debutting Oppnent

Who will make his debut?: [Hint:Guy had many characters in WCW]

I cannot begin to express how jealous I am, that you get to have Sting vs. Flair, for the title, in your company. I'd take that over The Ultimate Warrior vs. Hogan, or some such nonsense, any day.

Good luck with the show, partner. Work can be a real pain sometimes. Take your time, so you can tell the story you want to. That's what it's all about.

Cheers!

Who will the tag team be [Hint:WWF Tag Team]: New Age Outlaws

Who will make his debut?: [Hint:Guy had many characters in WCW] Kevin Nash

I cannot begin to express how jealous I am, that you get to have Sting vs. Flair, for the title, in your company. I'd take that over The Ultimate Warrior vs. Hogan, or some such nonsense, any day.

Good luck with the show, partner. Work can be a real pain sometimes. Take your time, so you can tell the story you want to. That's what it's all about.

Cheers!

lol I hear ya on the Sting / Flair issue. I WISH I had them instead of the Warrior and Hogan.

But we got Taker, Hart, Savage, Michaels, and we've both signed Austin. Not to mention Perfect, DiBiase, the Bulldog, etc.

Thats where the future lies baby.

Not to say that WcW isnt loaded with talent though. You can do a lot with guys like Page, Pillman and of course The Z-Man!! Haha. Love that guy.

Keep up the good work dudes.

Alright its a big PPV time! Lets see if WCW can sway me away from watching the WWF

Hoping the Steiners slap the glitter of this version of the Freebirds, which I'm just not a fan off

I say were going the timit limit here!!. Love to see a match similar to their first encounter years back a Clash of the Champions

My favorite guy in this match is actually Jack Victory, so that who I'm rooting for

This is my title change prediction... The Horsemen prevail..

Scorpio vs Pillman finals is best matchup in my books for the finals

Scorpio vs Pillman finals is best matchup in my books for the finals

Scorpio versus Pillman - Final Light Heavyweight

This may be one of my favorite matches on the card if it happens... But I can also see it not happening as you save it for down the road with more hype leading into it... Pillman is the man to carry the light heavweight division

No title changing without any hype... I think!

Who will the tag team be [Hint:WWF Tag Team]: Bushwackers, but they come in as The Sheepherders, Jack Victory comes out as their flag bearer... Put on a nice brawl then adios

Who will make his debut?: [Hint:Guy had many characters in WCW] I'll go Scott Hall

Who will the tag team be [Hint:WWF Tag Team]:

Who will make his debut?: [Hint:Guy had many characters in WCW] Kevin Nash

Yeah. Results didn't come out like I would have hoped. I'm trying to type up things and I'm juiced out. I'm doing this and working on a zombie movie and work. So I'm hoping this turns out decent.. so a couple of days late.. I present to you..

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/SLAMBO1.gif

Baton Rouge Stadium in Baton Rouge Lousiana.

27,284 in attendance

PRE-SHOW

Rick Rude defeated El Gigante in 4:53 by pinfall with a Rude Awakening.

Paul E. Dangerously did some good work at ringside. Rick Rude and Paul E. Dangerously have great chemistry. The announcing quality lifted the match. Rick Rude looked good out there.

B-

--------------

Scotty The Body is interviewed backstage by Missy Hyatt, he hypes himself up to the moon. Scotty talks that he will go through three men in one night to become champion.

This crowd came to see wrestling, and this segment really irritated them.

F+

--------------

Scotty The Body defeated Big Josh in 4:44 by pinfall with a Diving Crossbody.

Scotty The Body was really off his game tonight. The announcing quality lifted the match. The colour commentary gave the match a boost. This match brought the crowd's mood down.

E+

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/GordonSolie.jpg

Gordon Solie hypes the final four men in the World Championship Wrestling Light Heavyweight Tournament. Flyin' Brian Pillman. Richard Morton. Scotty the Body. Scorpio. Flyin' Brian Pillman will be facing York Foundation's newest member in Richard Morton. Scotty the Body will try to continue his roll against Scorpio in the other Semi-Finals match. The Finals will also be held tonight before NWA Heavyweight Title match. Gordon states that tonight a new era will begin with one of these individuals leading that era.

E

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/TomZenk.jpghttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/TimParker.jpghttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/vs.gifhttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/DDP9.jpghttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/JackVictory.jpg

In the opening match of the night... we had two guys that have been feuding for the past month teaming with two guys that have been jobbing. Zenk and Page would be the only two to get in the ring during the match. Page would fall victim to a Flying Drop Kick at the 3:47 mark when Victory accidentally hit Page with a knee to the back when Victory expected it to be Zenk. The Z-Man connected with the drop kick and proceeded to cover Page as Parker cut off Victory.

D-

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/DDP9.jpghttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/JackVictory.jpg

Following their lose, Victory rolls back into the ring to check on Page. Page is sitting up watching Tim Parker and his arch-rival walk to the back slapping the hands of fans following the win. Jack tries to help Dallas up, but gets his hand smacked out of the way. Page gets himself up to the standing position by himself and just glares at Victory. Page gets in Victory's face and starts yelling at him. Victory starts to walk backwards and gets cornered between Page and a turnbuckle. Page spits in Victory's face and exits the ring.

F

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/MissyHyatt.jpghttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/RickSteiner2.jpghttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/ScottSteiner2.jpg

Missy Hyatt interviews Rick and Scott Steiner in the back about their upcoming match with Michael P.S. Hayes and Jimmy 'Jam' Garvin. Rick stands more in the background barking during the interview while Scott does most of the talking. Scott tells the Freebirds that after tonight... they are done with them! They have bigger and better things to look to. They are looking toward the WCW World Tag Team titles and Doom. If Doom can win their open challenge tonight than the Steiners feel that they are next in line for a shot. Scott warns Big Daddy Dink, Gordy, and Badstreet to keep their noses out of the matches or his brother might just take a bite out of it. After Scott is done, Rick steps to the forefront. The Dog-Face Germlin tells Doom and Teddy Long that soon their paths will cross and when they do Doom will be meet with a Steiner-line!

C+

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/PaulNeu.jpg

P.N. News comes walking out with his music playing and a microphone in his hand. News walks out rapping about 'Na Na Na, P.N. News in the house tonight. Waves you hands in the air... wave 'em like you just don't care.. cuz News will win tonight and everybody say...YEAH!' Very few people actually seem to care and reply with 'Yeah!' News makes it to the ring and awakes the mystery oppnent.

F

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/NashasOz.jpg

The ring announcer introduces Oz being from the Emerald City and standing over 7 feet tall. Oz is being led to the ring by a white-bearded man introduced as The Gatekeeper. The arena goes green with strobe light, a blink of fire and the man they call Oz comes stalking out behind his keeper. The debut of Oz doesn't really go over as would be hoped as this is the first time that he is being seen and going against somebody like P.N. News.

F

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/Oz.jpghttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/vs.gifhttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/PaulNeu.jpg

In Oz's debut match, Oz does nothing but manhandle the over 400 pound P.N. News. News gets a few shots in on the 7-foot superstar. News tried to control the match, but with The Gatekeeper outside the ring... it was not to be. News ran into the ropes, but Oz's keeper grabbed the foot allowing Oz to get a couple shots in before sending P.N. into the ropes and ending it with a Big Boot to the face and getting his first victory in WCW in just 3:41.

E

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/HerculesHernandez.jpghttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/PaulRoma2.jpg

WWF's Power & Glory walk out to where Gary Cappetta and Gordon Solie were standing and hyping Slamboree so far and the rest of the card to come. Hercules glares at Solie and Cappetta while Roma grabs a microphone starts proclaiming that Power & Glory have come to World Championship Wrestling to accept the challenge of the WCW World Tag Team Champions, Doom. Roma goes on stating that they will defeat Doom and take the titles back to WWF. Roma also states that there is nobody in WCW that can defeat them. He proclaims himself and Hercules have just had a little bad luck in WWF, but that all stops tonight. At this point, Roma drops the microphone and signals for Hercules to head to the ring. Roma follows showboating to the ring to a little heat.

E

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/TeddyLong.jpghttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/ButchReedUK.jpghttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/RonSimmonsUK.jpg

Teddy Long comes out with Doom following suit. Long stops at the entrance and starts applauding Roma and Hercules. Long points behind him and can be heard saying 'These belts will stay here with US for a long time!' Long slowly walks to the ring while Doom drops the titles and rushes into the ring..

E+

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/wcwtag.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/ButchReedUK.jpghttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/RonSimmonsUK.jpghttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/vs.gifhttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/HerculesHernandez.jpghttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/PaulRoma2.jpg

After Doom rushes into the ring, a brawl broke out between the two teams. Doom is playing a mild version of faces after the heat that Power & Glory got from bashing WCW. Roma and Hercules isloated Ron Simmons for most of the match following the official finally getting order restored to the match from the brawl. Roma and Hercules used great team work to keep Simmons on their side of the ring. While Simmons gets pummeled, you can see the frustration on the face of Butch Reed on the outside of the ring. Following a missed double clothesline by Power & Glory , Simmons ducked and hits a double shoulderblock and finally tags in Reed. Reed clears house. Soon there is miscommuncations from Reed and Simmons leading to Simmons hitting a Second Rope Shoulderblock on both Reed and Roma sending them outside. Following the shoulderblock, Hercules takes advantage of the winded Simmons and starts smashing him with forearms and kick while he is trying to recover. Hercules signals for a running forearm and runs into the ropes. Hercules bounces off the ropes, but is caught by Simmons with a Powerslam. Simmons hooks the far leg and gets the victory for his team at the 7:39 mark as Reed and Roma finally come to their feet. Reed looks at Simmons on the inside celebrating as Long walks over and pats Reed on the back and gives him the title.

C-

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/GaryMichaelCappetta.jpghttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/Sting22.jpghttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/Lex_Luger10.jpghttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/TerryFunk1991.jpg

Gary Michael Cappetta is standing in the back with the trio of The NWA World Heavyweight Champion, Sting; The United States Champion 'The Total Package Lex Luger; and Terry Funk. Sting talks about his past battles with Ric Flair. Sting reminds Flair of when they once stood side by side. They used to fight together, but it was Flair's greed that made Flair and the rest of the Horsemen attack him. Sting tells Flair that will beat all that he throws at him. Windham had his shot, but he defeated him. Throw Ole. Throw Arn. Throw Rude. Harley Race and Vader can all line up, but when its all said and done.. he will still be World champion. Luger talks about Rude and Barry Windham. Luger does his typical yelling during his promo. Luger lets the fans know that he will be victorious in his match with Windham. Luger tells Rude if he and Paul E. Dangerously can step up to the plate anytime that Rude wants a shot than all he got to do is request the match. Funk is up next and talks very calmly. Funk lets everybody know that he isn't going anywhere. He isn't hiding from anybody. He has an opportunity to extend an olive branch to the World Wrestling Federation and that is why he has been away from WCW. Himself and Luger are basically like WCW's Goodwill Ambassadors to give other fans the chance to see wrestlers from World Championship Wrestling. Funk challenges 'Double A' to a match on Saturday Night to get a little revenge back from the attack a few weeks ago. Sting shouts and Luger flexs before walking off.

C+

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/AlexandraYork.jpghttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/RichardMorton.jpg

Alexandra York walks out with 'RockNRoll Express' Ricky Morton. Morton is introduced as being apart of the York Foundation and is introduced as Richard Morton.

E

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/Brian_Pillman5.jpg

As Flyin' Brian Pillman is walking to the ring, Richard Morton jumps out of the ring and attacks Pillman on the walkway. Morton gets some cheap shots in before the bell than throws Pillman into the ring.

E+

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/Brian_Pillman5.jpghttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/vs.gifhttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/RichardMorton.jpg

Following Morton's pre-match attack on Pillman, Morton kept Pillman grounded and the match under his control. Morton kept looking toward outside the ring for York's approval which he was getting. Morton kept working on Pillman left arm/shoulder for majority of the time that he was in control. Morton began to get ****y with all the approval from the outside from York. Morton started to look more concern about getting good reactions from York on the outside instead of paying more attention to Pillman on the inside. Pillman began to rally and turned the tide on Morton. Pillman would not lose control of the match and hit a Missile Dropkick from the top rope on Morton. Pillman landed on the left shoulder and played the 'injury' off quiet well as he crawled over and covered Morton for the victory to advance at 8:59.

D+

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/Magnum_TA.jpghttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/RickRude.jpghttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/RicFlair9.jpghttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/Barry_Windham6.jpg

Magnum T.A. is conducting with Rick Rude (with Paul E. Dangerously), 'The Nature Boy' Ric Flair, and Barry Windham. Rude talks about how Luger has avoided him. He states that even the World Champion, Sting has avoided him. He talks about how the only match he has had with Sting in recent weeks is a non-title match. Rude states that things are about to change. At this point, Rude and Paulie walk off the screen in which Windham and Flair step into view. Windham agrees with Rude that things are about to change. Windham states that he came up short against Sting because Sting is a cheater. Windham states that Luger is a cheater as well, but tonight he is ready for the cheaters. He will act just as dirty as Luger, tonight. Flair tells Sting that tonight will be just another chapter in the book of greatness of 'Nature Boy'. Flair respond to Sting's statement about greed is what got him kicked out of the Horsemen. Flair said it was Sting's ego that got him kicked out of the Four Horsemen. Flair states that the Horsemen has no room for egomaniacs like Sting. Flair finishes off stating that once he defeats Sting that the Horsemen will go stylin' and profilin' on the town. Flair finishes off with a 'WOOOO'.

B-

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/MichaelHayes.jpghttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/JimmyGarvin.jpghttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/TerryGordy3.jpg

The Freebirds Trio of Michael P.S. Hayes, Jimmy 'Jam' Garvin, and Big Terry Gordy are standing in the back along with Big Daddy Dink and Badstreet. They have a big rebel flag hanging behind them. Gordy stands with his arms folded. Garvin is messing with his hair and Hayes is standing in the middle of all of them looking ready for battle. Hayes tells The Steiners that those titles are coming back home, baby! Hayes goes into a rant about how the rebel flag stands for heritage. It stands for pride. It stands for all the things that the Steiners are not! Hayes tells everybody that once they win the WCW United States tag team titles... the Freebird rule will be back in play, baby! He stands that all members of the Freebirds are champions. Hayes states that when one Freebird is champion... they all soak up the shine... and it is the Freebirds time to shine again! Garvin joins in for a little pro-Freebird rant. Garvin states that 1991 is the year that the Freebirds will be reborn. It will be the year that the Freebirds will take over WCW like that took over Texas. They are aiming their crosshairs right on the Steiner Brothers' faces and they are fully locked and loaded. You can hear The Freebirds' opening cords of the song which signals them to proceed to walk toward the ring. Big Daddy Dink leads the walk from the promo. Everybody leaves but Hayes who flaunts in front of the camera before walking off.

C-

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/nwaustag.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/RickSteiner2.jpghttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/ScottSteiner2.jpghttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/vs.gifhttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/MichaelHayes.jpghttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/JimmyGarvin.jpg

The Steiners and The Freebirds exchanged move for move and hold for hold showing that these are two of the best teams in World Championship Wrestling. As the Steiners were getting an upper hand, the three other Freebirds on the outside of the ring began to play a factor. First, Badstreet pulled Rick Steiner off the apron and tried to brawl with him, but it was not to be with Ricky getting the upper hand and taking Badstreet out of the mix. With the DFG's attention on Badstreet, he wouldn't be there for Scott's tag out which lead to Hayes and Garvin having the momentum swing their way. Hayes hit Scott over the back with a double axe handle as Scott was looking for his brother. Rick finally finished off Badstreet by dumping him into the crowd and finally saw Scott was in trouble and rushed into the ring only to be cut off by the official and this gave The Freebirds the change to enter and exit the ring without tagging in. Gordy even got a few shots in on Scott from outside of the ring. Garvin and Hayes start setting the pace of the match with Scott Steiner playing the face-in-peril. Garvin and Hayes isolated Scotty from tagging in his brother, Rick. The Freebirds miss a double clothesline leading to Scotty hitting one of his own only for Terry Gordy to try to get into the ring to stop Scott. The official has his back turned and misses the tag from Scott to his brother, Rick. Rick comes in firing, but is soon ushered back out to the apron. The Freebirds have a good laugh until Terry, Big Daddy Dink, and (whatever is left of) Badstreet are thrown from ringside. Hayes and Garvin try to plead their case, but nothing is heard. Even with Freebirds' lost of three guys.. they keep the match in their favor. Hayes and Garvin make in and out tags with the ring being cut into just their portion of the ring. Gordy soon makes his way back out to the ringside through the crowd and has Big Daddy Dink's cane in his hand. Gordy makes a fan get out of a seat and sits down in the front row. Scotty finally begins to rally as he throws rights and lefts at Garvin as they go toe-to-toe. Soon Garvin is taking out by a DDT and Scotty makes the tag. Ricky comes in like a house of fire. Hayes begs off Rick as they both enter the ring, but Rick sends Hayes flying with a left punch. Rick begins to work on Garvin as Gordy slowly makes his way over the railing. Rick tags in Scott following a short intermission for Scott Steiner. Rick signals for the Steinerline, but when he goes to set up Garvin than Hayes comes in with a clothesline to Rick. Rick and Hayes begin to brawl to the outside of the ring. Scott gets off the turnbuckle and grabs ahold of Garvin. Garvin reverses a waistlock from Scott Steiner into one of his own and goes to push Scott into the ropes for a cradle. Gordy goes to swing the cane at Scott, but Scott ducks just in time and Gordy walks Garvin over the head with it sending Garvin out cold. Gordy yells in frustation. Scott hooks the ropes, turns around to a down Garvin, and goes for the cover. Scotty gets the three count at 13:11 as Hayes tries to enter, but Rick has the back of the pants.

B-

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/ScottyTheBody.jpghttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/vs.gifhttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/Scorpio2.jpg

In the second of the semi-finals matches, Scotty the Body and Scorpio went at it. Scorpio went more to the air while Scotty tried to keep it more ground play. The match was a back and forth thing with neither person really having an upper hand until Scorpio tried a Crossbody in which Scotty would duck and Scorpio would go flying over the top rope onto the floor below. Scotty would slowly make his way to his feet and see a knocked out Scorpio below and proceed to prance around the ring as the official would count-out Scorpio at the 7:44 mark.

D-

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/wcwus.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/Lex_Luger10.jpghttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/vs.gifhttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/Barry_Windham6.jpg

Luger and Windham match has been a long time coming and it came as a shock with Barry Windham would walk down toward the ring along without a Horsemen with him. Luger and Windham did the test of strength at the beginning of the match. Luger would have the upperhand of the test of strength until Windham with a cheapshot. Windham would try to overpower Luger on several occasions, but it was to no prevail until Windham would get a cheapshot in and shift the momentum. The ending of the match would come when Windham would try a school boy and hold the tights but Luger would kick out. Windham would proceed to argue with the official. Luger got to his feet and waited for Windham to turn around. Windham would turn around and get blasted with a Running Forearm. Luger would pick up the victory following a cover at the 12:52 mark.

C+

A video plays showing Pillman's and Scotty's matches leading up to the finals.

E

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/wcwlh.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/ScottyTheBody.jpghttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/vs.gifhttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/Brian_Pillman5.jpg

Flyin' Brian Pillman and Scotty the Body meet in the final round to crown the first World Championship Wrestling Light Heavyweight Champion. Scotty would be looking to use his mat technique that worked well earlier in the evening against Scorpio going against Pillman's aerial attack that worked out well against Richard Morton. Pillman is still favoring his left arm and Scotty is still tired from a short rest from his match against Scorpio. Scotty would got straight to work on Pillman's left arm and shoulder from the opening bell. Scotty the Body smelt blood and he tried to capitalize on the opportunity. Pillman would work well at keeping close to the ropes or getting out of Scotty the Body's holds and reversing them. Pillman tried a crossbody of his own like Scorpio did earlier and Scotty would duck and proceed his victory celebration, but Pillman would roll back into the ring at the official's count of 9. Scotty turned around to see Pillman in the ring and tries to argue with the official that he has won the match. Pillman sneaks up behind Scotty and school boys him. In 8:51 into the match, Flyin' Brian Pillman is crowned the new WCW World Light Heavyweight Champion via a school boy.

D+

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/nwaworld.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/Sting22.jpghttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/vs.gifhttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/RicFlair9.jpg

Sting and Ric Flair meet for the NWA World Heavyweight Champion. And just like the Windham/Luger match, there is nobody outside the ring with Ric Flair. The fans were heavy behind the Stinger. When Ric Flair came out he got a mixture of a reaction from the crowd with boos and cheers. It would be a back and forth competition. Sting would get the upper hand and than Flair would shift the flow of the match and get the match going his way. Flair uses cheapshots to keep Sting at bay. Flair would lock in the figure-4 leglock close to the ropes. Flair would grab the ropes a couple of times until Sting began to rally and reverse the figure-four. Flair would break the hold. Following another back and forth exchange from Flair and Sting... Sting would hit the Stinger Splash followed by the Scorpio Deathlock and Flair would submit at 20:17 mark into the match.

B+

Final Rating: C

Thanks everybody for being patiences. Everything will hopefully things will be going back to normal soon. I'm sure people are alittle disappoint with the write up of a few matches like Sting/Flair (including myself)... but I'm going to try to prewrite my main events for PPVs soon since I have most of them already in the works.

The Freebirds versus The Steiner Brothers - United States Tag Team Titles Steiners deserve a long title reign.

Sting versus Ric Flair - NWA World Heavyweight Title Sting also needs a long reign.

Tim Parker & 'Z-Man' Tom Zenk vs Diamond Dallas Page & Jack Victory DDP can't lose to those jobbers.

Lex Luger versus Barry Windham - United States Title Old-school Luger was brilliant.

Scotty the Body versus Scorpio - Semi- Final Light Heavyweight Scorpio's a great talent.

Brian Pillman versus Ricky Morton - Semi-Final Light Heavyweight A Morton/Scorpio final would be terrific.

Winner Scotty/Scorpio versus Pillman/Morton - Final Light Heavyweight I'm guessing Scorpio will win the whole thing.

Doom versus Mystery Team - World Tag Team Titles You can't really bet against a Mystery Team.

Who will the tag team be [Hint:WWF Tag Team]: The Rockers I'd love to see the Rockers in WCW.

P.N. News versus Debuting Oppnent P.N. News is a big jobber at best.

Who will make his debut?: [Hint:Guy had many characters in WCW] Cactus Jack Cactus Jack would be great.

are power & glory signed to wcw? if they arenot, I do not agree with the cross promotional work between wwf and wcw. And if they are signed to wcw, they should've at least won their first match by dq, but it's hard to tell who out of the two teams is even face. the slamboree card seems decent so far. thanks for posting pictures, as last couple of pages were becoming redudant for me.

are power & glory signed to wcw? if they arenot, I do not agree with the cross promotional work between wwf and wcw. And if they are signed to wcw, they should've at least won their first match by dq, but it's hard to tell who out of the two teams is even face. the slamboree card seems decent so far. thanks for posting pictures, as last couple of pages were becoming redudant for me.

Yes, there is currently a working agreement between WWF and WCW. Power & Glory is a 3-show deal. Power & Glory are there to just see how well they actually work in WCW. If Greg wants to get rid of them and they work out well than I may pick them up.

On other note, rest of card should be up soon.

We're trying something a little different than the standard WWF vs. WCW thing (which is a tad ironic, given our title). Hopefully, we can keep your interest, as we experiment.

Great stuff, Tweek. You're making me worried that my Royal Rumble write-up will look second-rate.

WWF

This week on the Wrestling Challenge....

The production trucks will be rolling into Waterloo, Ontario, Canada for the Challenge. With that in mind, this week's show will have a distinctly Canadian flavour.

Iron Mike Sharpe enjoyed some incredible success in Ontario, earlier in his career. He'll be looking to hop back on that train, as he takes on the young Shane Douglas. Will Sharpe's homecoming be sweet, or will Douglas crash the party?

On Primetime Wrestling, Shawn Michaels had the unenviable task of facing The Undertaker. His teammate in The Rockers will be in singles action tonight, as Marty Jannetty goes one-on-one with The Mountie. Will Jannetty succeed where his partner failed, or will The Mountie get his man?

Jimmy Hart's tag team, The Nasty Boys, have earned a title shot at the Royal Rumble. They may end up facing their stablemates, as Earthquake and 'Canadian Strongman' Dino Bravo receive an opportunity to take the titles off of The Hart Foundation. Who will go into the Royal Rumble as champions?

Prediction Key

Shane Douglas vs. Iron Mike Sharpe

Marty Jannetty vs. The Mountie

WWF World Tag Team Championship

The Hart Foundation © vs. Earthquake / Dino Bravo

Shane Douglas vs. Iron Mike Sharpe

Marty Jannetty vs. The Mountie

The Hart Foundation © vs. Earthquake / Dino Bravo - WWF World Tag Team Championship

I was a huge Dino Bravo fan back in the day for some reason, so it would be nice to see him get a major push (I know I can't do it), but the Foundation is just too much for them

WWF

Wrestling Challenge

Tuesday, Week 4, January 1991

Waterloo Memorial Arena; Waterloo, ON

1,000 (Sellout)

Former Maple Leaf Wrestling commentator, Billy Red Lyons, interviews The Genius, and his client, The Mountie. They run through some standard heel stuff, accusing the members of the audience of being law-breakers, in need of a lesson in justice. They mention that The Mountie will be facing Marty Jannetty, and remind everyone that The Mountie always gets his man.

D+

The Bushwhackers defeated Genichiro Tenryu and Buddy Rose in 5:59 when Bushwhacker Luke defeated Buddy Rose by pinfall with a Battering Ram.

The announcing quality lifted the match. The colour commentary gave the match a boost. This match brought the crowd's mood down. Genichiro Tenryu is improving in Performance skills. Buddy Rose is improving in Rumble skills.

E+

Billy Red Lyons conducts another in-ring interview, this time with 'Iron' Mike Sharpe. Sharpe enjoyed a lot of success, early in his career, right here in Ontario, and he says that tonight will be a springboard to his future successes in the World Wrestling Federation. He issues an open challenge, for anyone that wants to make a name for themselves, by stepping in the ring with 'Canada's most famous athlete.'

Iron Mike Sharpe is developing better performance skills.

D

Shane Douglas defeated Iron Mike Sharpe in 2:33 by pinfall with a Franchiser.

The announcing quality lifted the match. The colour commentary gave the match a boost. This match brought the crowd's mood down. Iron Mike Sharpe is improving in Performance skills.

E+

The Mountie defeated Marty Jannetty in 4:35 by pinfall after using a foreign object.

D

'Mean' Gene Okerlund is joined by Jake 'The Snake' Roberts. They talk about the upcoming Royal Rumble, before Okerlund asks Roberts about Rick 'The Model' Martel. The Snake says that he hopes to finish his business with Martel in the Royal Rumble, and that it's clear that the Model is trying to throw him off his game. He promises Martel that one way or another, there's a DDT coming, with his name on it.

Jake Roberts was very underwhelming. The Snake vs. Model storyline has continued with this segment.

C-

The Hart Foundation defeated Earthquake and Dino Bravo in 7:31 when Bret Hart defeated Dino Bravo by pinfall with The Hart Attack.

The Hart Foundation make defence number 2 of their WWF World Tag Team titles.

Jimmy Hart did some good work at ringside. Dino Bravo was really off his game tonight. Bret Hart looked excellent out there. The Tag Team Titles storyline has continued with this match. Jim Neidhart is improving in Performance skills.

C

Final Rating: D+

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h291/TweekIt/WCW/WCWSATNITE.png

From the Baton Rouge River Arena, the fallout of Slamboree should be felt. Flyin' Brian Pillman will take on Scotty the Body in a non-title rematch. Will Pillman continue his roll or will Scotty get even?

Oz made his debut @ Slamboree by defeating P.N. News. Oz will take on Ranger Ross in his second match. Can Oz stay undefeated against Ranger Ross or will Ross stop the 7 footer?

Tom Zenk is hoping to put Diamond Dallas Page behind him. The 'Z-Man' will defend the Television title against the monsterous Jimmy 'Jam' Garvin. Can Garvin do what he couldn't do as a single wrestler @ Slamboree and pick up some gold or will Zenk conquer the solo Freebird?

Two Light Heavyweights will take on two masked men as Jushin Thunder Liger and Scorpio take on The Nightstalker and Shanghai Pierce. Who will be victorious?

The York Foundation's Michael Wallstreet and Richard Morton will team up to go up against the veteran duo of Dick Murdoch and Dick Slater, The Hardliners. Can York's laptop prove to be the savior for the Foundation and tell the duo how to be the Hardliners or will Murdoch and Slater pick up a needed victory?

Rick and Scott Steiner will defend the United States Tag Team Titles against World Wrestling Federation's Power & Glory. Roma & Herc were unable to defeat Doom at Slamboree. Will Roma & Herc be able to defeat The Steiner Brothers and become WCW United States Tag Team champions or will the Steiners continue rolling until they collide with Doom?

In the main event for the evening, The Four Horsemen's Arn Anderson will take on Terry Funk. Anderson interfered in the tag team match with Sting and Funk taking on Flair and Rude. Will Funk get revenge or will Double A defeat Funk?

PREDICTION

Arn Anderson versus Terry Funk

Brian Pillman versus Scotty the Body

Richard Morton & Michael Wallstreet versus The Hardliners

Oz versus Ranger Ross

The Steiner Brothers versus Power & Glory

Tom Zenk versus Jimmy Garvin

Jushin Thunder Liger and Scorpio versus Shanghai Pierce and The NightStalker

Arn Anderson versus Terry Funk Terry Funk is a hardcore legend but Anderson is a better all-rounder.

Brian Pillman versus Scotty the Body Might be going for the underdog here but I didn't think Pillman was anything that special.

Richard Morton & Michael Wallstreet versus The Hardliners Go for the better tag team.

Oz versus Ranger Ross I don't think much of either but would prefer Oz to go over.

The Steiner Brothers versus Power & Glory The Steiners can still be successful for the next ten years if pushed correctly.

Tom Zenk versus Jimmy Garvin I'd usually go for Zenk but Jimmy Garvin was a favourite of mine.

Jushin Thunder Liger and Scorpio versus Shanghai Pierce and The NightStalker Pierce and NightStalker are jobbers.

Oz versus Ranger Ross

This is a tough call right here, and is th kind of match that makes me want to tune into the WCW

Scotty gets even, since this is non title

Like Destiny says I'll go for the better tag team, but thats "The Dick's" in my mind

Oz versus Ranger Ross

As much as I'd love Ranger Ross to win (I Hate Oz) I know he wont

I'm thinking that your arrangment may not allow Power and Glory to lose, perhaps by CO or DQ

Zenk continues his reign as champ

Who is the Nightstalker???

Archived