Hall of Fame: Nomination

ok so on the others side of the coin, I was thinking maybe Fan appreciation.

any thoughts on this idea.

Just a spot in the thread that honors some of the top fans. Like the Game Face who does all the banners for Nevermore.

or I don't know. Just a place where we honor those people who actually take the time to read our works. I don't know how I want to run this, right now I just want to know what every one thinks of the idea.

(And As always i am still looking for more votes :) )

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds like a good idea. Like, a special 'wing' of the Hall of Fame. For guys like Gameface, and Payne (back in the day, when he used to make all our titles, all our posters, and still find time to predict), and you for running all these awards for us.

ok so on the others side of the coin, I was thinking maybe Fan appreciation.

any thoughts on this idea.

Just a spot in the thread that honors some of the top fans. Like the Game Face who does all the banners for Nevermore.

or I don't know. Just a place where we honor those people who actually take the time to read our works. I don't know how I want to run this, right now I just want to know what every one thinks of the idea.

(And As always i am still looking for more votes :) )

Might be difficult but lovely idea. Lot's of people who I always try and thank but often feel there's no bigger/better way of doing it.

Quote The Raven

Nevermore

Might be difficult but lovely idea. Lot's of people who I always try and thank but often feel there's no bigger/better way of doing it.

Quote The Raven

Nevermore

I am spitballing here, but what about as part of DOTM.

Each of the two main winners gets to nominate one of their major fans.

as part of the end of the year awards, people get to voter for one of those upto 24 people?

(Yeah I see a lot of weekness there, but maybe that will spark a winning idea from some one else)

Hmm maybe do so for every nomination if they feel so inclined then the top ten named at the end of the year we get to vote on. Because the way you are proposing is best fan of the very best diaries on the board. My suggestion would make it best fan of the better diaries on the board. EG a bit more inclusive, but also more work.

Quote The Raven

Nevermore

Hmm maybe do so for every nomination if they feel so inclined then the top ten named at the end of the year we get to vote on. Because the way you are proposing is best fan of the very best diaries on the board. My suggestion would make it best fan of the better diaries on the board. EG a bit more inclusive, but also more work.

my problem with my proposal, is that: Is Game face the best fan because he support the most popular diary on the boards?

or is some on that supports a bunch of start ups, month after month, the better fan?

(please don't take this as anything but and illustration) Am I a guy who reads maybe 4 diaries right now the best fan because I do a lot of work to support the site. I certainly don't think so.

and I don't think it is something that should really be "voted" on because being a fan is not a competition. It is something that I would think the writers would just like to say thank you for. and I am really not sure how you arrive there.

It should not be nearly as exlusive as the diary awards. but neither do I think it is something that should be all inclusive. there are some fans who go the extra mile to make sure the diary writer stays on track (that is just as often a critical word as it is a well timed compliment)

Yeah I get where you are coming from but I just tried to expand on your original system suggestion. Will have to do some thinking on a good other system. As far as start up goes having the rookies also nominate should help. Voting would ensure that those people that read/help those writers of diaries that don't get into the DOTM categories also get a say.

I like the idea of giving some special recognition to the people who leave regular comments, contributions, whatever, to a diary. I think I speak for every single person who has ever written a diary here when I say that receiving the feedback that I do is a large part, if not the largest part, of what makes working on my diary worth all the time and effort I put into it. I'm all for the idea of giving those people a special shout-out.

and I don't think it is something that should really be "voted" on because being a fan is not a competition. It is something that I would think the writers would just like to say thank you for. and I am really not sure how you arrive there.

I agree with this. I don't think there should be a poll or voting of any sort for this. Not sure what the best solution is, but like you said, being a fan is not competition.

I love the idea of having regular contributors have a special place in the Hall. From personal experience, I look at someone like Reaper and know that my diary is so much better for what he has contributed. Or FINisher and the other alt magicians on the board. Or even just the advice and guidance I got from a few veteran writers. The GDS community is awesome in that regard, and I would love to see that recognized.

What about just having one or two "builders" nominated each year by the existing Hall of Famers? No voting, just a straight up decision. Non-HOF members can offer suggestions and reasons, but a benefit of being a HOFer is getting to help add the "builders".

24 hours remain. I still have some big time hold outs that I am looking for votes from.

But many have sent in their votes during the last several days. 34 total voters have weighed in and just 2 points seperate first place from second. and a last minute vote could change the final three as just 5 point seperate 3rd from 5th.

remarkably, the field drops off quickly from there, making this a five man race.

So make sure you have weighed in, I would hate to see your pick go unrecognized because you thought they were a sure fire winner.

Archived