The whole event rating thing

I know other posters have the same grief with this so one more time Adam could you explain how its possible for a card that has all main fights listed as good in terms of expectation and the results of these fights are also good can deliver a poor rating? I like the challenge of this game but it shouldnt be that impossible to gain popularity when reaching a certain point, i think the overall rating of an event should be based on the actual outcome of the fights.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jacko00" data-cite="Jacko00" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="24298" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Not talking about PPV buys, talking about rating from viewers and crowd.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Just a theory I have so I'll ask, were there any upsets? Especially in the main event. Like say did a guy who really isn't as popular as your company beat a guy that is more popular than your company in the main event?</p><p> </p><p> I've seen cards I expected to be great bomb when the "wrong" guy wins the main event/co-main event.</p>

I am not refering to a specific event but this happens and other posters have mentioned it as well, i think if possible it needs to change to having an event rating be based off match entertainment and PPV buys being based off anticipation.

Think of it this way. UFC puts on a PPV with no name fighters. No big main event stars. So champs. No Henderson's or draw guys. But every fight was pretty good. Wouldn't you think people would still be disappointed in the card overall? Like when they tried to tell us Bisping and Leben was a viable PPV headliner. The fights were good. But the show as a whole didn't feel like a winner.

I am not refering to a specific event but this happens and other posters have mentioned it as well

You need to either give more detail about what you are talking about, or far more preferably, link to one of the other threads that you are referring to so that I can read somebody else's description.

http://67.19.230.90/~arles/forum/showthread.php?t=49223&page=5

This is where i last saw a thread on the topic.

I am not taking anything away from this game cause the game is amazing and i still love playing it be here the thing, in real life say the UFC put on a card with a non title fight headlining and poeple who go to watch or tune in after a great night of fights dont say "Well those fights were exciting but cause i didnt know them that well i would have to say the event sucked".

Same for anything else like a film where the acting is great, the script is great but just because the actors are unknowns does not mean the people will think it sucked.

Your original statement, regarding how a card that had good expectation could get a low rating, is what I was interested in - the thread you have linked to, disappointingly, does not seem in any way relevant to this part of the discussion. If you have an actual example of this, I would be interested to see it, as that sounds like an issue - a card with good expectation should never get a low rating, as that is the point of the game, to generate expectation.

Your focus then seemed to switch to wanting the card rating based upon match ratings. This is what has been addressed before; I do not agree with your point. The MMA business is clearly based around booking around name value not performance (although good performances can clearly increase a fighter's popularity). If the game model was switched so that all that mattered was how good the fights were, you'd fundamentally be moving away from a simulation of reality - under that system, somebody like Brock Lesnar or in-his-prime Tito Ortiz would not be a particularly valuable commodity as they're not the most exciting fighters around, but that is clearly not realistic as they're the guys who do the big PPV numbers.

poeple who go to watch or tune in after a great night of fights dont say "Well those fights were exciting but cause i didnt know them that well i would have to say the event sucked".

In closing, your above statement seems to show a misunderstanding of what the show rating means. A poor rating does not mean the fans thought the show was horrible, it means it has had a poor effect on the company's popularity, which is a huge difference. If the UFC headlined with two unknowns, it doesn't matter if the match turns out to be amazing or not, the company would still take a hit to its image as there'd be less interest in the show, both from the media and the fans.

okay fair enough, but the poster in the link that i posted has cards with good or great expectation that result in a overall poor card even though the fights turned out great.

OK. I only read the first few posts, and they didn't - I'm not reading through an entire diary on the off chance that there might be something.

Dont want to beat a dead horse, but here is a quote from the diary

Commentary: Once again, the fans were looking forward to all the matches on the card, and the final result was a bad one. I have no idea what to do anymore. It seems there is no way to win.

Dont want to beat a dead horse, but here is a quote from the diary

Commentary: Once again, the fans were looking forward to all the matches on the card, and the final result was a bad one. I have no idea what to do anymore. It seems there is no way to win.

You don't seem to understand what I'm looking for - I want actual data to work with. That is why I specifically asked for details. What you have just quoted is pretty much beyond useless, it's just a vague comment, it doesn't even say what levels of expectation were involved!! You can't seriously expect me to diagnose any sort of problem based on one vague sentence.

I'm not sure that I can provide actual data, but three events ago, every fight I scheduled was considered great or that the fans were looking forward to it. The show rating turned out to be awful. I remember the show well because I was surprised that the fans were looking forward to some of the fights, most notably 8-4 high national Manuel Silva who had a 1 fight winning streak fighting 17-1 high national 3 fight win streak Kafu Bunya for the title as the main event for my mid international organization. I was scheduling a throw away ppv, essentially, to try to build up a few guys, but all my fan feedback was positive. The show rating is what I would have anticipated though, awful.

I'm not sure that I can provide actual data, but three events ago, every fight I scheduled was considered great or that the fans were looking forward to it. The show rating turned out to be awful. I remember the show well because I was surprised that the fans were looking forward to some of the fights, most notably 8-4 high national Manuel Silva who had a 1 fight winning streak fighting 17-1 high national 3 fight win streak Kafu Bunya for the title as the main event for my mid international organization. I was scheduling a throw away ppv, essentially, to try to build up a few guys, but all my fan feedback was positive. The show rating is what I would have anticipated though, awful.

If you book your events well in advance you might find yourself in a situation where the matches had high expectation when you initially booked them but were disapointing when the event was actually held. I booked a show where all the bouts had good fan feedback but I had 2 PPVs and a tv show before that event was ran that raised my popularity by 20%. This resulted to the fact that the matches failed to meet the exceptations of my new found popularity and the event turned out to be "Awful".

Greek is right, because the same thing has happened to me as well. I usually advance book one PPV ahead, and if you grow in popularity after that PPV what was once a popular card at your previous level might not be popular at your new level. Yes it sucks but that is how the game is set up to run.

Think of it this way. UFC puts on a PPV with no name fighters. No big main event stars. So champs. No Henderson's or draw guys. But every fight was pretty good. Wouldn't you think people would still be disappointed in the card overall? Like when they tried to tell us Bisping and Leben was a viable PPV headliner. The fights were good. But the show as a whole didn't feel like a winner.

Since when was Hendo a 'draw guy'?

Also, UFC 89 wasn't a PPV, it was a Spike! TV special. And the fights were awful. One of the worst UFC's, infact, one of the worst 'big' MMA shows I've ever attented. The prelims were better than the main card, aside from Taylor/Lytle.

I've watched it back to see if it came off any better on TV...and it didn't.

ive always understood its about anticipation. And of course played the game with that in mind. So my question is, what bearing does the fight rating have on anything. popularity? im just curious. thx in advance.

I don't have the help file in front of me, but I remember it saying something like "a small adjustment is made to the final rating based on fight rating."

So it has an effect, just a small one.

Just a theory I have so I'll ask, were there any upsets? Especially in the main event. Like say did a guy who really isn't as popular as your company beat a guy that is more popular than your company in the main event?

I've seen cards I expected to be great bomb when the "wrong" guy wins the main event/co-main event.

No, it just as everything to do with the expectations. But imo that information should be reflected in a lesser number of people to buy the event.

Archived