pc guys..video card question....

Franchise22

no no man u dont want nvidia yea there the top in the world name wise but u can get a ati with almost the same quality for less. it all depends on ur computer and how much ur willing to put out. i say go to a good computer store like best buy but also make sure u do some research first off of google. also this sites right here helps u with knowing what ur computer can handle for like ram and a few others if i recall correctly.

http://www.crucial.com/index.aspx

then this site will tell u if ur pc can actually run it

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

oh by the way i recommend trying to get a ATI HD 4650 (1GB edition), i got the 4580 though and it works great but they even got a newer model out then this.

ok now I have to put my 2 cents in.. I was an ATI customer for years but ever since I couldn't play KOTOR II on my old ATI Radeon 9200 which was above recomended at the time I switched to Nvidia. ATI had such horrible customer service that they never fixed the glitch and told people on their forums that its biowares falt which is wasn't. the glitch was that when you played KOTOR II your character couldn't move beyond the recovery tanks in the very first level and was never fixed so I switched to Nvidia. Nvidia has the better driver support. I used to have a

Gforce 8500GTwhich played Crysis beutifully with no overheating of any of my systems. I now have a Nvida 9800GSO which plays crysis even better

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference for the most part until you get to the super high-end. Only things I've noticed is som games (City of Heroes, Unreal Tournament III) are designed specifically for nVidia cards, and can have some very slight issues with ATI cards that are easy enough to fix.

no no man u dont want nvidia yea there the top in the world name wise but u can get a ati with almost the same quality for less.

Sorry, false. ATI cards are notoriously buggy when working with top titles. The reason is simple:

Only things I've noticed is som games (City of Heroes, Unreal Tournament III) are designed specifically for nVidia cards, and can have some very slight issues with ATI cards that are easy enough to fix.

Nvidia provides a full line of reference cards to developers, in exchange for that 'nvidia - the way it's meant to be played' bit included with those games. ATI cards are tested at the developer's expense, by and large, and Crossfire drivers are known for being....less than ideal. This isn't Intel vs AMD (which the 'same quality for less' would apply to). We're talking about many, many titles that ATI is notorious for not working well with, including many (if not most) of the biggest name titles (KOTOR, Mass Effect, etc). It comes down to: are we going to extensively test this game on this card that the manufacturer gives to us for FREE....or are we going to PAY to buy 15 cards for our reference machines to test the game on? Oh and let's ignore the ridiculous amount of market share nvidia has.

Sorry, as an AMD diehard (so I'm well versed with 'going against the grain', tech wise), I have never had as many problems with an nvidia card as I've had with ATI cards. Try to run Crysis or FarCry at max settings at extreme resolutions on a high end ATI card and tell me how that goes.

ok now I have to put my 2 cents in.. I was an ATI customer for years but ever since I couldn't play KOTOR II on my old ATI Radeon 9200 which was above recomended at the time I switched to Nvidia. ATI had such horrible customer service that they never fixed the glitch and told people on their forums that its biowares falt which is wasn't. the glitch was that when you played KOTOR II your character couldn't move beyond the recovery tanks in the very first level and was never fixed so I switched to Nvidia. Nvidia has the better driver support. I used to have a

Gforce 8500GTwhich played Crysis beutifully with no overheating of any of my systems. I now have a Nvida 9800GSO which plays crysis even better

hehe, I remember that. Yeah, it's Bioware's fault despite the fact that all of nVidia's cards (even the ones BELOW recommended level) played the game fine. I tried to play KOTOR II on an FX 5200 and it worked (though it was laggy as all hell. FX 5700 was better). For those who might not know, the 5200 is basically a pumped up GeForce 4 card (not really representative of the 5-series). Try that on a Radeon.

Franchise, look into an 8-series card. Newegg has this 8400 for fifty bucks.

im just getting into pc games i've been a console guy for ever, but i have to say my first computer came with a nvidia and i did like it and it played the sims 2 good but nvidia is to expensive, from i've been told from many gamers is ati is a lot better i never heard anyone say they have problems with ati cards...im playing cod waw right now with my ati card and its been good so far i dont know what other game to play thats good on pc to try it out tough...

im just getting into pc games i've been a console guy for ever, but i have to say my first computer came with a nvidia and i did like it and it played the sims 2 good but nvidia is to expensive, from i've been told from many gamers is ati is a lot better i never heard anyone say they have problems with ati cards...im playing cod waw right now with my ati card and its been good so far i dont know what other game to play thats good on pc to try it out tough...

No sweat. It's not uncommon for folks to be influenced by a first impression. But ATi cards have been buggy since what, the All-In-Wonder? Back then, the Voodoo line of cards was crazy popular (before nVidia bought out 3dfx when they went bankrupt). The key thing to remember is that there's often a BIG difference between 'on paper' performance (which is what the manufacturers usually promote) and actual game performance in real world conditions. Drivers are also huge and ATi's usually suck. If you want to test out your card, try Crysis or FarCry. Jack up the settings and see how it plays. They're both really good games so it's not like it's a loss.

Archived