Calling all those very familiar with Scotland...

Stennick

Having family from there and having a lot of family that has visited Scotland I have decided I didn't want to humilate myself or your lingo by just going rogue (bad Sara Palin joke) and trying to base my entire knowledge of Scottish lingo off of internet research and episodes of the Simpsons. That being said...

I'm working on some scottish dialogue for a project I'm doing and I realized what better place than here to get advice. I don't know if their are any Scots here but I know the board has one of the larger sums of UK posters around.

The Scot in question is rebellious, hyper, angry and very random. However before I get into some a combustable character I need to get my feet set on a base lingo if you will. Now mind you the Scot is in America so I'm not needing this to be a conversation you would find on the streets of Scotland between good friends. I need something that people in Scotland could hear or say and atleast say "yeah that makes sense to me".

The best example I have is how Regal speaks. I know I've spoken to a lot of people that say Regal's language is more proper. People would understand him but its not how a "normal" person would talk. I have no idea if thats right or not but thats what I've gotten from a few friends across the pond.

Anyway I've come up withe dialogue. Since its hard to do dialogue in this situation just using the Scot I've brought him to the States (its where my character will be based anyway) and I have him interacting just briefly with an American.

Again I warn you I'm not trying to be anything great here. Its just me getting a basic understanding about how he would talk if thrown into an American environment but yet still being very Scottish. Anybody familiar with the Scottish lingo please feel free to comment on this dialogue good or bad and offer any advice in improving it. I'm very much from the United States and the best influence I have from a Scottish aspect is Willie from the Simpsons so this is going off of pure research. I normally wouldn't do colors but I just wanted it to be very easy to pick out who the Scottish man was and who the American was. One last disclaimer this is very basic lingo I'm not trying to invoke story I'm just trying to get my footing on some Scottish lingo. That being said fire away on the criticism :)

*runs for shelter*

“Speak of the Devil here he comes”

[A man walks up from outside the shot]

“Are you ok, you look like you just ran a marathon”

“I’m fair puckled ya know, I just ran all the way up here to catch ya”

“You should have yelled, screamed, done something to make me turn around”

“Forgive me lad I’m trying to keep heid. That’s hard ta do ya know when ya yellin someone’s name across the way acting like gype”

Having family from there and having a lot of family that has visited Scotland I have decided I didn't want to humilate myself or your lingo by just going rogue (bad Sara Palin joke) and trying to base my entire knowledge of Scottish lingo off of internet research and episodes of the Simpsons. That being said...

I'm working on some scottish dialogue for a project I'm doing and I realized what better place than here to get advice. I don't know if their are any Scots here but I know the board has one of the larger sums of UK posters around.

The Scot in question is rebellious, hyper, angry and very random. However before I get into some a combustable character I need to get my feet set on a base lingo if you will. Now mind you the Scot is in America so I'm not needing this to be a conversation you would find on the streets of Scotland between good friends. I need something that people in Scotland could hear or say and atleast say "yeah that makes sense to me".

The best example I have is how Regal speaks. I know I've spoken to a lot of people that say Regal's language is more proper. People would understand him but its not how a "normal" person would talk. I have no idea if thats right or not but thats what I've gotten from a few friends across the pond.

Anyway I've come up withe dialogue. Since its hard to do dialogue in this situation just using the Scot I've brought him to the States (its where my character will be based anyway) and I have him interacting just briefly with an American.

Again I warn you I'm not trying to be anything great here. Its just me getting a basic understanding about how he would talk if thrown into an American environment but yet still being very Scottish. Anybody familiar with the Scottish lingo please feel free to comment on this dialogue good or bad and offer any advice in improving it. I'm very much from the United States and the best influence I have from a Scottish aspect is Willie from the Simpsons so this is going off of pure research. I normally wouldn't do colors but I just wanted it to be very easy to pick out who the Scottish man was and who the American was. One last disclaimer this is very basic lingo I'm not trying to invoke story I'm just trying to get my footing on some Scottish lingo. That being said fire away on the criticism :)

*runs for shelter*

“Speak of the Devil here he comes”

[A man walks up from outside the shot]

“Are you ok, you look like you just ran a marathon”

“I’m fair puckled ya know, I just ran all the way up here to catch ya”

“You should have yelled, screamed, done something to make me turn around”

“Forgive me lad I’m trying to keep heid. That’s hard ta do ya know when ya yellin someone’s name across the way acting like gype”

As a Scot, you really don't want to be using William Regal as a model for dialogue. Regal, on screen, portrays a very upper class Englishman which I really don't think is what you're going for. If you want to use a wrestler, Drew McIntyre is genuinely Scottish - from Ayrshire to be exact.

Frankie Boyle is a good example of a Glaswegian, which tempts me to open the question of what region of Scotland you'd want your character to hail from.

If you intend to write phonetically, you could research Scots.

Also, I have no idea what "puckled" or "gype" mean.

See thats why I posed it. Research sometimes gets you no where gype is supposed to be a "fool" however apparently not. Puckled is supposed to be tired but apparently not.

As for the region I hadn't given that much thought, your generic Scotsman I don't need him down to a tee I just need get the overall feeling that "hey this man is Scottish"

Archived