The Official TNA / Impact / GFW Discussion Thread

Adam Ryland

ROH is a good example of why TNA is now Sports Entertainment they noticed that if they stayed souly on wrestling they would never get a good following people who are not on internet fourms or youtube match watchers dont want to see just wrestling they want what WWE and WCW have been doing did and ROH is a good example they started at the same time as TNA pretty much and have really not grown to much popularity wise they do have good matches but with out SE they want grow to anything special or even remotly challenge WWE or TNA

ROH is a good example of why TNA is now Sports Entertainment they noticed that if they stayed souly on wrestling they would never get a good following people who are not on internet fourms or youtube match watchers dont want to see just wrestling they want what WWE and WCW have been doing did and ROH is a good example they started at the same time as TNA pretty much and have really not grown to much popularity wise they do have good matches but with out SE they want grow to anything special or even remotly challenge WWE or TNA

I'm not quite certain exactly what you're saying here... but I get that you're trying to say TNA can't be anything but pure SE if they want to be successful. This is based on what?

Using ROH as a point of comparison isn't particularly accurate. They built a fanbase based on nearly pure wrestling, with a roster very different from what TNA has. They've never had anywhere near the mainstream exposure that TNA managed just by being on Spike for the past few years.

Personally, I don't want to TNA to try to emulate ROH any more than I want to see them emulate the WWE. What I do want to see is a compromise in between. A focus on in-ring action, with angles and segments used to drive forward what happens in the ring. Right now, its the opposite. On TV, the matches are usually the after-thought. And I honestly might have less problem with TNA using this approach if they were just honest about. Yet they keep proclaiming ot be "about wrestling" and so different from the WWE. Hypocrisy.

Finally got around to watching Impact. Most that needed to be said has been said but I don't like the fact that the ramp is still leading all the way to the ring. Does it look kinda nice? Sure but it really limits the amount of high flying dives to the outside of the ring (, a kinda TNA trademark) plus brawling on the outside and anything that limits the move sets is bad imho. This combined with the fact that it looks like the crowd barriers are now closer to the ring is really limiting in an unnecessary way imho. And I actually noticed the "Crucial Crew" not being there as the crowd was really flat in the front row.

Finally got around to watching Impact. Most that needed to be said has been said but I don't like the fact that the ramp is still leading all the way to the ring. Does it look kinda nice? Sure but it really limits the amount of high flying dives to the outside of the ring (, a kinda TNA trademark) plus brawling on the outside and anything that limits the move sets is bad imho. This combined with the fact that it looks like the crowd barriers are now closer to the ring is really limiting in an unnecessary way imho. And I actually noticed the "Crucial Crew" not being there as the crowd was really flat in the front row.

Well, in all fairness, I think it was awful nice of them to set up the handicap ramp for some of the ... more senior... members of the new TNA's roster.

I'm kidding! I'm kidding!

:o:p:o

Sorry to say this but most of TNA trademarks are gone now...6 sided ring... An amazing knockouts division...more wrestling... but at least we have Hogan LMAO!

From Gerweck

- Here is an update to the Awesome Kong requesting her TNA release story. The request was not solely due to the incident with Bubba the Love Sponge. Kong has indicated to friends and co-workers that she is having issues dealing with the recent passing of NWA promoter Ed Chuman. She apparently has not been herself and has suggested she needs time to adjust. Her issue with TNA centers around the company's unwillingness to work with her in allowing Kong to deal with the loss of her friend and promoter. Kong requested to be taken off the UK tour, but TNA denied her request. As a result, Kong requested her release.

- In an update to a story reported yesterday there is now talk that none of this year's TNA PPV events will be held on the road and will all take place in Orlando. Once again nothing is final but TNA has been losing money on road PPV's recently so this could be done as a cost cutting measure.

- The reviews from the talent regarding the new Impact set are mixed. Some have expressed their approval, but others feel the removal of the six sided ring has removed their identity.

- There is talk of bringing in Heidenreich to appear on a show or two.

WrestleView:

Honky Tonk Man is very close to signing a deal with TNA. The former Intercontinental champion has been in contact with TNA since early December.

.. FFS. :mad:

that goods give them time to build the storylines and characters up more plus it looks like every other monday is going to be live.

rumor is tna will go live every other monday. one week live then next week taped. much like raw used to do. to save money for the time being with them eventually just moving to live every week.

what i wish tna would do is go live every week and move all ppvs out of the impact zone and sell ppvs as combo ppv/impact deals and the impact after a ppv is a 3 hour special impact. that way they can get out of orlando once a month

RVD on TNA in an interview with Slam Sports:

Now that his wife is cancer free and he has had a chance to recover from being burnt out from the WWE schedule, RVD isn't as adamant about returning to a national stage. He has been a buzz on the Internet about the possibility of going to TNA, to the point where WWE locked him out of his WWE.com profile because they thought he had signed with the company. He hasn't agreed to anything yet.

"I have some interest right now. For the longest time I have been saying no thanks, and recently it turned into a maybe. Now with the spotlight on TNA with Hogan being there, as much as people were talking about it before people are talking about it three times as much now. There is a lot of optimism in the air, maybe something will work out."

If this works out they can churn out as many Impacts as last one and I won't care lol.

I don't like the Monday move, there is no way they can actually compete with the WWE. If they ever become a serious threat WWE can squash them in six months. Also, TNA keeps talking about fans but this hurts the fans b/c youre making them choose TNA or RAW, why not just put on a great show on Thursday in your junky little Universal gym? Seriously...

I don't like the Monday move, there is no way they can actually compete with the WWE. If they ever become a serious threat WWE can squash them in six months. Also, TNA keeps talking about fans but this hurts the fans b/c youre making them choose TNA or RAW, why not just put on a great show on Thursday in your junky little Universal gym? Seriously...

It is because a Monday night war draws in more "casual" fans and results into higher ratings period. Because of the excitement it brings etc and because Monday = wrestling night. Also TNA can not be squashed as long as Bob Carter doesn't want it to be squashed.

PS RVD can still go just watch his matches in Europe from last year if you can find them.

Wow. Ouch. BIG mistake by TNA, they'll be back on Thursdays before long IMO. Is there a scheduling issue or something that prevents them from being live on Thursday? That would be the next logical step. How bout you do that, then see if you can get your ratings to half of Raw's, and then think about going head to head...or at least make sure you don't get slaughtered the next time you go head to head, when you don't have Hogan's debut bringing in a lot of curious one-time viewers.

Wow. Ouch. BIG mistake by TNA, they'll be back on Thursdays before long IMO. Is there a scheduling issue or something that prevents them from being live on Thursday? That would be the next logical step. How bout you do that, then see if you can get your ratings to half of Raw's, and then think about going head to head...or at least make sure you don't get slaughtered the next time you go head to head, when you don't have Hogan's debut bringing in a lot of curious one-time viewers.

I think the problem with being live EVERY week, whatever day... Is part of the TNA's appeal for some guys is the schedule. You work two days in a row, every two weeks, then you got the other time off. Free to be with family, or work other indies... Pretty good no?

what i wish tna would do is go live every week and move all ppvs out of the impact zone and sell ppvs as combo ppv/impact deals and the impact after a ppv is a 3 hour special impact. that way they can get out of orlando once a month

How many times does this have to be said in this thread?

They are NOT selling enough tickets to move out of the Impact Zone yet. Not happening. Probably a year away at best.

How many times does this have to be said in this thread?

They are NOT selling enough tickets to move out of the Impact Zone yet. Not happening. Probably a year away at best.

Yep. They actually lose money when they go on the road for ppvs. This seems like something they might actually HAVE learned from WCW. Don't throw money away where you don't need to.

Personally, I don't want to TNA to try to emulate ROH any more than I want to see them emulate the WWE. What I do want to see is a compromise in between. A focus on in-ring action, with angles and segments used to drive forward what happens in the ring.

Indeed. I thought that was supposed to be the whole idea. I was hooked from 2002, but after seeing a bunch of crappy matches and angles, i gave up all-together. What a freakshow it has become. :(

No they won't. You really think Hulkster's going to tuck his tail between his legs and move the show to another night, even if the ratings suffer? Note that their Monday show did better ratings than they had ever done on Thursdays. Even if that's just a one-off, I don't see them losing face by just turning around and running back to Thursday nights.

Yep. They actually lose money when they go on the road for ppvs. This seems like something they might actually HAVE learned from WCW. Don't throw money away where you don't need to.

Sometimes you have to deal with minor losses in order to grow your promotion. WCW lost money 9 years out of 11, but if they don't spend the money in 1995 and 1996 you don't get to be the #1 promotion in the world by 1997. Traveling to major markets and performing in front of paying customers instead of cast members is part of the growing process.

Hiring the Nasty Boys? Throwing money away. Taking losses by going to major markets like Chicago or their old digs in Tennessee? Losses that make you look like a legitimate wrestling promotion.

It is easy to spend other people's money. While I won't disagree on the Nasty Boys, as a business owner I can tell you that not all expenses to make you look bigger are worth it.

I've been to two trade shows in the past, probably spending upwards of $10,000 and didn't see a single sale. It would be asinine for me to go back unless I've developed something I'll be able to sell there.

Bringing that back to TNA, I'd rather they stay in Orlando for the moment, until they figure out who they are (WWE Lite? TNA? ROH Lite?), and gauge interest outside of Orlando some other way. Once you know you'll at least break even, THEN you venture out to different markets. I would think that their old stomping grounds would be a suitable second home, but I guess they moved for a reason?

My guess is they backed off after his latest arrest on drug charges. What a waste of God-given talent.

Was he arrested again after that appearance?

I want to like TNA. But they're making it hard. The Nasty Boys have been on my tv for the last 5 minutes; I'd much rather be watching Generation Me flying around the ring...