The Official TNA / Impact / GFW Discussion Thread

Adam Ryland

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="delv213" data-cite="delv213" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25170" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Well TNA does has a very strong U.K following, I think many people who occasionally watch TNA would like for their main events to not involve 5-6 guys running out for the purpose of trying to protect the babyface from not looking weak. Even this past week, Magnus himself couldn't cheat to win. He needed to have Abyss involved to throw a chair at Joe's head in order to get the tainted finish. Just once, I'd like Magnus to be involved in the finish completely.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Agree Completely, I really like Magnus as the champ but do agree the booking of him has shown him as more of a World Champ by fluke, He won it because Spud shoved Jeff off the ladder, he beat AJ due to a load of interference and Bobby Roode, he beat Sting in similar fashion, beat Gunner thanks in a large part to Storm, beat Joe twice due to Abyss... </p><p> </p><p> I'd love to see Magnus be forced to defeat someone on his own Merit... perhaps M.V.P booking the old "if anyone interferes on Magnus' behalf he looses the title" </p><p> </p><p> When I'm booking TEW I usually avoid interference unless I have a good cause for it (manager distraction, or a rival interfering or if its going to build to a bigger picture.) </p><p> </p><p> Sometimes thats what I see as TNA's only flaw. they overbook for the sake of it. </p><p> </p><p> Magnus honestly doesn't need anyone to help his brand, Guy can cut a good promo and can easily carry himself in the ring he doesn't need Abyss or various heels running in.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Macca316" data-cite="Macca316" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25170" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Agree Completely, I really like Magnus as the champ but do agree the booking of him has shown him as more of a World Champ by fluke, He won it because Spud shoved Jeff off the ladder, he beat AJ due to a load of interference and Bobby Roode, he beat Sting in similar fashion, beat Gunner thanks in a large part to Storm, beat Joe twice due to Abyss... <p> </p><p> I'd love to see Magnus be forced to defeat someone on his own Merit... perhaps M.V.P booking the old "if anyone interferes on Magnus' behalf he looses the title" </p><p> </p><p> When I'm booking TEW I usually avoid interference unless I have a good cause for it (manager distraction, or a rival interfering or if its going to build to a bigger picture.) </p><p> </p><p> <strong>Sometimes thats what I see as TNA's only flaw. they overbook for the sake of it. </strong></p><p> </p><p> <strong>Magnus honestly doesn't need anyone to help his brand, Guy can cut a good promo and can easily carry himself in the ring he doesn't need Abyss or various heels running in</strong>.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I think you nailed it on the head with that right there, they're trying to get Magnus heat by looking like he's incapable of beating anyone, which isn't bad when you want to keep the babyfaces strong after the feud ends, however the problem is that it doesn't help elevate the heel to the next level, so that the next babyface who feuds with him has that <em>"immovable force vs. unstoppable object"</em> type feel.</p><p> </p><p> Similarly, it's damaging the prestige of the title while hurting Magnus once he loses the title. I don't think anyone buys Magnus as a legit contender for the title once he loses the belt. Which is sad because everyone felt the guy would've been such a credible champion 5-6 months ago.</p>

I think you nailed it on the head with that right there, they're trying to get Magnus heat by looking like he's incapable of beating anyone, which isn't bad when you want to keep the babyfaces strong after the feud ends, however the problem is that it doesn't help elevate the heel to the next level, so that the next babyface who feuds with him has that "immovable force vs. unstoppable object" type feel.

Similarly, it's damaging the prestige of the title while hurting Magnus once he loses the title. I don't think anyone buys Magnus as a legit contender for the title once he loses the belt. Which is sad because everyone felt the guy would've been such a credible champion 5-6 months ago.

I'd possibly argue as well that it does nothing for the babyface either... I mean where is the pay off for Joe? if he fueds with Abyss and ends up beating him cleanly then yeah thats perfect and Joe gets a little bit of overness back and looks better but if Joe is just shunted to the back of the line not only does the booking make Magnus look weak as a champion because he can't beat anyone cleanly (or on his own merit) but also makes his challenger and the authority figures look weak because they can't negate the Abyss factory or Roode or the army of heels.

And also delv213 dunno if you can think who main event wise they have left for Magnus?

Gunner is fueding with Storm, as is Bully Ray with Roode, so one would imagine they are out... Joe has lost twice, AJ and Sting are gone, Angle is injured and one would think he will go after EC3 on returning.

Williow... just no, uh uh, please for all that is holy TNA don't...

Anyone else?

<p>As much as smarks would hate it (and the match probably wouldnt be a MOTN contender), but if they built Bobby Lashley well enough he can be a legit contender for the TNA World Title. Having Magnus beat him cleanly would benefit Magnus because Lashley was booked well enough to even be a possible opponent for The Undertaker at one point (talking about Taker's segment where he chose Batista for his WM 23 opponent).</p><p> </p><p>

In the short term, however, I guess it'd have to be Willow. TNA are running low on faces for Magnus to go over. Eric Young would be a cool choice but I doubt very many people would want to see an EY/Magnus feud for more than 1 or 2 shows.</p><p> </p><p>

TNA could've easily kept Sabin and Aries face so that they can eventually be opponents for Magnus but I doubt TNA thought that far into the future.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="dpoolez" data-cite="dpoolez" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25170" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>As much as smarks would hate it (and the match probably wouldnt be a MOTN contender), but if they built Bobby Lashley well enough he can be a legit contender for the TNA World Title. Having Magnus beat him cleanly would benefit Magnus because Lashley was booked well enough to even be a possible opponent for The Undertaker at one point (talking about Taker's segment where he chose Batista for his WM 23 opponent).<p> </p><p> In the short term, however, I guess it'd have to be Willow. TNA are running low on faces for Magnus to go over. Eric Young would be a cool choice but I doubt very many people would want to see an EY/Magnus feud for more than 1 or 2 shows.</p><p> </p><p> TNA could've easily kept Sabin and Aries face so that they can eventually be opponents for Magnus but I doubt TNA thought that far into the future.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> They can always interject a feud into the World title. Bully Ray vs Magnus vs Roode or Joe vs Magnus vs Abyss. As long as they allow Magnus to look like an actual champion coming out of those matches it wouldn't hurt him or the other guys. Plus you can have Magnus as a capable but cheating champion. Kind of a "You cheat because you want to not because you have too."</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="dpoolez" data-cite="dpoolez" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25170" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>As much as smarks would hate it (and the match probably wouldnt be a MOTN contender), but if they built Bobby Lashley well enough he can be a legit contender for the TNA World Title. Having Magnus beat him cleanly would benefit Magnus because Lashley was booked well enough to even be a possible opponent for The Undertaker at one point (talking about Taker's segment where he chose Batista for his WM 23 opponent).<p> </p><p> In the short term, however, I guess it'd have to be Willow. TNA are running low on faces for Magnus to go over. Eric Young would be a cool choice but I doubt very many people would want to see an EY/Magnus feud for more than 1 or 2 shows.</p><p> </p><p> TNA could've easily kept Sabin and Aries face so that they can eventually be opponents for Magnus but I doubt TNA thought that far into the future.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> with being low on main event faces, i imagine TNA can quite easily turn someone as they seem to have about 300 face/heel turns a month</p><p> </p><p> i actually like Magnus as champ, i love a weasel heel, and the last time i remember one is sort of JBL when he used to win in cheap ways</p><p> </p><p> i went to the london tapings of TNA, a few weeks back, got me back into it, the reaction for Joe was insane</p>

I'd possibly argue as well that it does nothing for the babyface either... I mean where is the pay off for Joe? if he fueds with Abyss and ends up beating him cleanly then yeah thats perfect and Joe gets a little bit of overness back and looks better but if Joe is just shunted to the back of the line not only does the booking make Magnus look weak as a champion because he can't beat anyone cleanly (or on his own merit) but also makes his challenger and the authority figures look weak because they can't negate the Abyss factory or Roode or the army of heels.

And also delv213 dunno if you can think who main event wise they have left for Magnus?

Gunner is fueding with Storm, as is Bully Ray with Roode, so one would imagine they are out... Joe has lost twice, AJ and Sting are gone, Angle is injured and one would think he will go after EC3 on returning.

Williow... just no, uh uh, please for all that is holy TNA don't...

Anyone else?

Well, I'd agree in the sense that Joe feuding with Abyss post Magnus feud does nothing for either man, If Abyss was built up properly then I'd argue something different. TNA is pretty low on any babyface built up at the moment and that's due to AJ and Sting leaving. Recently, they were trying to get a guy like Samoa Joe, who's basically been a midcarder for the last 4-5 years, and trying to protect him because they know they're so low on built up talent that they basically have to bring in a guy like Bobby Lashley just so he can be built up by the time Magnus finishes his next feud.

Also Willow as World Champion? I had trouble seeing Jeff Hardy as World Champion prior to the gimmick change but besides that, why would Jeff Hardy, the most over babyface in the company change gimmicks? This reminds me of when Booker T became G.I Bro for no reason.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s138/delvecchio213/gibro_zps543ed718.jpg

Because Jeff was bored and needed a change. He's been saying it for a year and this is the most motivated he's looked in years.

Anyway, I haven't watched impact yet this week, but I did see the Hunt For Willow vignettes with EC3 and Spud. They're so dang entertaining together. I've been a fan of EC3 since before he was signed to WWE, so it's nice seeing a company let him flourish.

Because Jeff was bored and needed a change. He's been saying it for a year and this is the most motivated he's looked in years.

Anyway, I haven't watched impact yet this week, but I did see the Hunt For Willow vignettes with EC3 and Spud. They're so dang entertaining together. I've been a fan of EC3 since before he was signed to WWE, so it's nice seeing a company let him flourish.

EC3 and Spud are quite great together, I love Spud so much when it comes to these ridiculous comedy skits. It has a hilarious WWF 2000 vibe to it. I've been a fan of Spud since his equally ridiculous searching for AJ segments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zhvQRA43eM

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s138/delvecchio213/lolwah_zps6f85a6a4.jpg

I like what was said about Magnus not cheating because he has to but because he wants to.

I rememeber hearing a long time ago (think it was on the ROH Secrets of the ring series with Raven) That a heel should always cheat, the face should always look like the better wrestler and the heel should always look crafty and cheat to gain the upper hand.

When you have a dude like Magnus who is more than capable in the ring I think that plays perfectly and would be an ideal way for Magnus to get actual heat and not just having the crowd shout paper champion at him, He already has great mic skills and we all know British make fantastic villians (hollywood has known this for years) All he needs to do is keep coming out in his suits, cutting those promo's in his smarmy British accent and say something along the lines of " I don't need to cheat to beat "insert wrestler here" but I do it because at the end of the day I'm the smartest man in this ring... the smartest man in this company and the smartest man to hold this belt"

Easily then sets up several believable scenarios where both faces and heels alike can try to dethrone him simply to prove they are able to outsmart the smartest...

Think Bobby Roode coming down and claiming that he held the title for the longest in history and that he was and still is smarter than Magnus...

For Magnus to be viewed as credible the chase needs to be credible, They had rumblings of what I was saying with his Joe feud, Claiming Joe's anger would get the better of him and thus Magnus claiming he would use that against him suggests Magnus thought he could outsmart Joe, They just need to let Magnus run with that ball

<p>Sorry for double post but no one has posted since my last post. </p><p> </p><p>

Watched the first half of Impact, had to stop for the night midway through the Bully Ray - Roode Brawl. </p><p> </p><p>

Must say I don't hate what they've done with the Title situation, I do feel its a little too early to be building tension between Abyss and Magnus, but interjecting E.Y I don't hate... Never been a huge fan of E.Y but the past year or so guy has been growning on me and now I'm a convert, don't feel he's ready to actually win the title, but at this point TNA have very few over babyface main eventers and E.Y is undeniably over with the fans, be perfect for a couple of matches with Magnus.</p><p> </p><p>

Also TNA need to find a new home.... the "fans" in attendance do nothing for them, during the UK tour and the televised impacts we brits we loud, back in america the people in attendance seem dead. they need to find a new home with actual wrestling fans...</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Macca316" data-cite="Macca316" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25170" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p> Also TNA need to find a new home.... the "fans" in attendance do nothing for them, during the UK tour and the televised impacts we brits we loud, back in america the people in attendance seem dead. they need to find a new home with actual wrestling fans...</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Maybe, TNA needs to set up something in the UK like they did in Orlando. The crowds are better there and they seem to draw better there. Not sure how that would be on the actual talent but who knows...</p>

A couple of notable full-length matches that have been added for viewing on TNA's Official Youtube channel:

Sacrifice 2005: Samoa Joe vs. AJ Styles in the 2005 Super X Cup final

Sacrifice 2006: Christian Cage vs. Abyss for the World Heavyweight Championship in a Full Metal Mayhem Match

Watching Styles and Joe, I don't understand why TNA didn't give the ball more often than they had to the both of them. :/

Also TNA need to find a new home.... the "fans" in attendance do nothing for them, during the UK tour and the televised impacts we brits we loud, back in america the people in attendance seem dead. they need to find a new home with actual wrestling fans...

I am not sure if what I am about to say is the case or not, but I thought a lot of those "fans" were not really fans in the first place. I remember reading a few months ago that TNA had put some models (Female and Male) in the front row facing the camera. Which seemed to be the case because after reading it I did notice that there was a group of good looking women who sat in the front row and they were nicely dressed and that is something I never saw at any wrestling show I have ever went to.

Also, I wonder how many of those "fans" are just people who went to the park. I went to a WCW taping when they used to film at MGM and I would say the vast majority of the fans were just people that were at the park and were asked to sit in for the tapings. I mean the stage manager was telling us when to cheer and boo.

Then again I could be completely wrong. Also I agree with you the crowds are dead in Orlando. I guess that is why they went on the road in the first place because they thought they would get more livelier crowds.

I am not sure if what I am about to say is the case or not, but I thought a lot of those "fans" were not really fans in the first place. I remember reading a few months ago that TNA had put some models (Female and Male) in the front row facing the camera. Which seemed to be the case because after reading it I did notice that there was a group of good looking women who sat in the front row and they were nicely dressed and that is something I never saw at any wrestling show I have ever went to.

Also, I wonder how many of those "fans" are just people who went to the park. I went to a WCW taping when they used to film at MGM and I would say the vast majority of the fans were just people that were at the park and were asked to sit in for the tapings. I mean the stage manager was telling us when to cheer and boo.

Then again I could be completely wrong. Also I agree with you the crowds are dead in Orlando. I guess that is why they went on the road in the first place because they thought they would get more livelier crowds.

when MTV did there short live WSX Im pretty sure the crowd was made up on extras too.

Those extras were extremely obvious. A bunch of extremely hot girls appearing every week and cheering faces booing heels.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25170" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I love Eric Young and think he's criminally underrated...but really? He's TNA World Champion?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I was thinking the same...</p><p> </p><p> Guy has good charisma, comedy value, decent in the ring.. but doesn't really have that X-Factor. I like that TNA is trying to be a little more homoegrown now, but look at their last 3 world champions</p><p> </p><p> Bully Ray -- former tag team WWE guy, who plays a good heel, but I can never take him seriously.</p><p> </p><p> Chris Sabin -- Great X-division guys, had the slightest bit of momentum so they threw the World title on him, IMO, prematurely. Only to squash said momentum in like 2 weeks, thus making the title run pointless. </p><p> </p><p> Magnus -- he is the one I know the least about. From what I've seen, good all rounder, but still doesn't have that name value. </p><p> </p><p> and now</p><p> </p><p> Eric Young -- Decent entertainer, in fact my favorite at my only TNA house show ever, but lacks the X-Factor. </p><p> </p><p> Without a decent leading man, what hope does TNA really have anymore?</p>

They could have easily built their new image around Magnus, but instead they made it look like he couldn't win a game of checkers without someone helping him. He has a great look, he can talk, and he has the in ring tools.

Eric Young plays a smarmy heel really well, better than his comedic persona. His stuff with World Elite was fantastic. If they were going to push him into the main event, they shouldn't have done it so fast. It doesn't even feel remotely organic.

Bully Ray is amazing though. He went above and beyond with evolving his character and ring work and becoming one of the hottest heel acts in pro wrestling.

They could have easily built their new image around Magnus, but instead they made it look like he couldn't win a game of checkers without someone helping him. He has a great look, he can talk, and he has the in ring tools.

Eric Young plays a smarmy heel really well, better than his comedic persona. His stuff with World Elite was fantastic. If they were going to push him into the main event, they shouldn't have done it so fast. It doesn't even feel remotely organic.

Bully Ray is amazing though. He went above and beyond with evolving his character and ring work and becoming one of the hottest heel acts in pro wrestling.

See I feel they are jumping the gun seeking new options. Sabin, Magnus.. etc.

and I forgot about World Elite, but I remember really enjoying him then!

and Bully to me, GREAT heel. And as someone who always likes the heel, I still didn't like him. So I guess they got what they wanted, and I hated Bully, but sucks for them, cuz he couldn't have drawn me into anything.

but def agree on Eric being fun at live events, he seemed to be about the only guy trying though honestly, show was kinda crap lol.

Honestly, part of me wonders if they pulled the trigger on EY because of all the press the WWE has been getting as of late (ie: Wrestlemania, the streak being broken, new talent rising, etc.). Then again, I would hope not as TNA/Impact Wrestling can't get into that game (trying to compete with the WWE).

I, for one, haven't really been watching as of late; so, I'm unaware if they've made EY into a legit threat. That said, from what I remember in the past, he's always been booked as somewhat of a joke. Now, he's the World Champion? That just seems like a terrible choice if you ask me.

When Bully was TNA champion he just felt credible, even being leader of Aces and Eights. He had been kicking ass as a heel for way longer, but his title run was good and nearly everything was done right.

Compare that to Magnus who could have been the same type of champion with a different character but they just dropped that and made him one of the weakest champions in his history of American televised wrestling. The Miz needed help to beat a 65 year old Jerry Lawler, but even then he won clean in another defense against him. Magnus looked like an utter joke his entire reign and the first match where he doesn't have the "Magnus rules" he loses it to a guy who two months ago was fiddling around just now becoming a serious wrestler.

I'm sure everyone will disagree but this felt like Wrestlemania lite to me. Small bearded guy wrestles a match earlier in the show for a title shot, he then wrestles again in the main event where he wrestles with an injured arm to become the World Champion. I'm not saying its exactly the same but there are a LOT of coincidences between the two.

The thing is I love Eric Young and I think he's more entertaining than guys like Samoa Joe ever have been. Whether being a smarmy heel or a comedy face or a paranoid heel the guy has worn just about every hat in the company and done it better than most.

I have no problems with him winning the championship. The thing about TNA is that they are capable of good stuff and they piss it away. That video package a while back with Gunner. I didn't even like Gunner I thought he had an awful, generic look and was void of charisma but I was buying him as a contender off of that one video.

Eric Young has a decade worth of stuff like that and they could have really made his ride to the top mean something by talking about everything he's experienced, everyone he's worked with, whatever and then maybe blown this thing off at a later pay per view.

I'm also a bit confused because I thought Magnus was going to be THE guy. I mean they had him essentially retire AJ Styles. They had him being pushed as the owners chosen one, and they had him beat Joe not too long ago. He's been champion what three months now? And its over just like that? I'm sure he's getting it back but again they didn't make him look credible in the least. I'm all for him getting Honky Tonk Man heat by winning anyway and by any means to the point where the people are dying to see someone finally get one over on him. But again make the guy win SOMETHING on his own. Even if he's beating Mid Card guys like Gunner and whoever else on Impacts on his own.

Not too mention with Dixie being "gone" or whatever (I only read the results online so I really don't know) the corporate storyline or whatever they were going for is dead in the water anyway. It feels like they went with Magnus and this youth movement kind of hitting the reset button right before they went to the UK, then they sign MVP and hit the reset button AGAIN because otherwise the Magnus storyline doesn't really make much sense without Dixie around to stack the deck for him or whatever. They just kind of ended that storyline and now kind of ended Magnus. I'm sure he wins it back at the pay per view but then I'm not sure what the point of EY winning in the first place was.

None the less I don't believe that TNA doesn't have a leading man. Magnus is a great guy to build around.

I really like Eric Young, but I hate his beard. Unlike Daniel Bryan, I don't think it works for him as a serious wrestler. I give TNA credit for how they've been booking him lately, as a little kooky but still a capable wrestler, and slapping the "Mad Scientist" moniker on him, but if there was ever a time for him to go for the title, it was World Elite, which wrapped up too soon. All I can hope for is that we see some sort of storyline for Magnus out of this that leads to him having a good, clean title run since he lost the belt in his first non-interference defense and that made him look even more like a paper champion.