PPV versus TV show?

Can someone tell me the pros and cons of putting various fighters on either a PPV or a TV show?

For example, say there is someone I want to push really hard so he gets a good reputation and record, is it better to include him on a lot of TV shows (perhaps higher in the card since they aren't considered 'big' shows) or to just put him whenever possible into any PPV.

Basically what are the pros and cons of using various fighters in either TV or PPV?

PPV:

Pros.

1. A lot of fighter exposure

2. Garner PPV Buy income

3. Raises company popularity

Cons.

1. Can't use little known fights unless it's in a prelim match

TV:

Pros.

1. Can use little known fighters on the main card to gain exposure and popularity

Cons.

1. No income

Essentially, think of TV shows as your place to show your up and comers who aren't ready to be on the main card of a ppv

The difference is TV shows give A LOT more popularity than PPV shows do. PPV is good for money, TV is good for popularity.

So if you want a new fighter to quickly rise to main event status it's best to put him on TV shows as it's a better showcase for him to gain popularity?

So if you want a new fighter to quickly rise to main event status it's best to put him on TV shows as it's a better showcase for him to gain popularity?

Yes.

PPVs are only good for making money. TV shows cost a ton but raise popularity extremely fast. Also, it's a lot easier putting on good TV shows than it is putting on good PPV shows. The system for working out show quality is a bit out of whack in WMMA2. I have yet to put on better than an "Average" PPV at High Level International, and that was with two High Level International people with high reputations and winning streaks in the main event. Go figure.

PPV-

This is about getting buys, so you put fights that will encourage people to buy your ppv - so title fights between your highly popular guys, winning streak vs. winning streak etc.

TV -

This is about growing popularity, so you have one or two matches with highly rate guys in the main events - no.1 contenders matches are good here. The rest of the matches n TV should be about building guys who are good, but not popular - so popular cans for your unpopular talented guys

You can only do 2 PPVs a month and 1 TV shows a month. PPVs are better but TV allows you to hold additional shows. Since, retirement is pretty much based on age rather than fights you need to squeeze in as many fights as you can.

I always sign everybody to standard contracts to save (quite a lot) of money.

The booking strategy that works best is 2 fights between two maxed popularity fighters as main and co-main event. I have a bunch of weight classes and title belts, I create and vacate title belts as needed to make sure the two main events are always for the belt. 3rd fight is up and comer versus past his primer on loss that I'm fairly sure up and comer will win. Other 17 are squash matches or fights similar to 3rd to job out. Last time I played some of the cans were 4-54 but they still increased popularity.

I have a bunch of weight classes and title belts, I create and vacate title belts as needed to make sure the two main events are always for the belt.

That just sounds wrong. Just cause you can exploit something in the game for higher ratings doesn't mean you should. I would hope that the belts would lose popularity if stripped off someone for no good reason.

Yeah, I tend to play out my shows like in real life, except that I only have one PPV per two months right now. (At first I was running an event every three weeks.) I alternate between TV and PPV each month at the moment. I have one fight per weight class on the main show of each PPV, plus four prelim fights of alternating weight classes.

That just sounds wrong. Just cause you can exploit something in the game for higher ratings doesn't mean you should. I would hope that the belts would lose popularity if stripped off someone for no good reason.

lol, yeah I usually let a guy go if he loses three in a row much less 54 fights (YIKES!). Must be some bugs I don't notice because I try to play realistically

Yeah, I tend to play out my shows like in real life, except that I only have one PPV per two months right now. (At first I was running an event every three weeks.) I alternate between TV and PPV each month at the moment. I have one fight per weight class on the main show of each PPV, plus four prelim fights of alternating weight classes.

Can you explain to me the pros and cons of using prelim matches? I suppose you don't have to pay your "PPV bonus" to a fighter, but what are the other bonuses? Won't he get less popularity this way? It seems like a negative to do that when you can just stick someone on the main card.

Yeah that seems kind of a silly way to play.

Having a realistic universe with some sense of continuum seems infinitely more important to me than making sure your popularity ratings are going to be as high as possible by doing stupid stuff with title belts ... (And now, introducing the Welterweight Title for guys whose last name starts with A through M!)

Can you explain to me the pros and cons of using prelim matches? I suppose you don't have to pay your "PPV bonus" to a fighter, but what are the other bonuses? Won't he get less popularity this way? It seems like a negative to do that when you can just stick someone on the main card.

You can gain some popularity without it hurting your event.

Archived