Welcome. You Know The Drill.

August 2010, week 4

Wow... another slow week. Let's get right to the show...

CZCW Onslaught #32

We open tonight with what's sure to be a crowd-pleaser, Rayne Man and Donnie J vs Matt Sparrow and Paranoia. Well, not 'crowd-pleasing' so much as 'please, god, don't let Paranoia suck too much'. It doesn't suck too too much... and for the first time in history, Paranoia isn't booed by the crowd as soon as the Pit Snakes start his music. Rayne and Donnie get the victory here. We follow that with a Tag Titles match between The Shoot Club and Going Coastal, and surprisingly they manage to pull out a main-event-level match where The Shooters retain. We follow it up with American Elemental defending the Xtreme Title against... Ant-Man? Was that intentional? Well, yes. I wanted to see how he did under pressure. He... didn't stink, but wasn't good either.

We then really get the crowd going as myself, Machine, and Holmes do a triple-threat match; Holmes wins, naturally, but as we leave the ring I'm fairly certain we just stole the show. The main event is Art Reed defending against Masked Cougar... and damned if the two of them don't prove me wrong by tearing the house down! Reed retains, but Cougar looks like he just jumped into the main event with that performance...

(Show rating: C, 1,000 tickets. Match of the night: Reed/Cougar. Trash of the Night: Elemental/Ant-Man.)

On the next Welcome: Disaster strikes.

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

September 2010, week 1

History, they say, tends to repeat itself.

TCW came calling.

We couldn't compete with their offers.

Changes would need to be made. Immediately. New people would need to be recruited... god dammit, they took Ota! He was high up on our list of replacements... and, to make things worse, Cliff doesn't want me to sign the guy who just graduated form the Coastal Resort because he's not tough enough. Geeze. Why'd we graduate him then?

Perez and Cougar tried to keep the locker room happy, despite what we'd just lost; it was working, but I was afraid things would turn sour after our third dual-farewell show this year; so, I decided make it a triple-farewell show.

CZCW Onslaught #33

Our first match is a tag title match as The Shoot Club defends against Rich and Famous. It actually looks like Rich and Famous may have gotten lucky as Jake Idol charges up the ladder – only for someone to slide into the ring and pull him down. The mystery attacker slides back out of the ring and leaves as Speedball heads up the ladder and retrieves the tag titles. Next up, Snap Dragon takes our newest signing through his paces, getting the victory in an obvious jobber match against Amazing Fire Fly. Then, to start the kick into high gear, a five-man Xtreme Title ladder match between American Elemental, rayne Man, Matt Sparrow, Donnie J, and Byran Holmes. It's not as good as I had hoped, but it's still a good match that sees Elemental escape the chaos to retrieve his title.

Up next, I take on Insane Machine. I'm... embarassed, honestly. This should have been a great match, but it's just... average. I don't want to think he was sandbagging me because it was his last night... but it sure feels like it. I have to hope our final match will steal the show; Art Reed defending the Zone Title against Masked Cougar. It's not quite on the level of their last match, but it's still damn good, and this time Cougar is the one who comes away with the title as our new champion.

(Show rating: C-, 1,000 tickets sold. Match of the night: Reed/Cougar. Trash of the night: Dragon/Firefly).

After the show, I make the announcement that this was our last match in the Snake Pit; from now on, we'll be in the Grissom Auditorium.

On the next Welcome: Okay, the first two times hurt. This? This -really- hurts. After losing Reed and Machine, who moves up to take their places? And how long until our entire midcard roster is incapable of putting on a decent match?

September 2010, week 2

So... I just dedicated myself to selling out the Grissom. We lost two main eventers. And Acid just texted me telling me to take his number out of my phone.

My confidence is shot. How the hell did all the other guys manage to do this without cracking?

I slot Speedball and Sparrow into the main event slots. It means I'll need to take the titles off the Shoot Club so I can use Speedball for bigger things, but that's the breaks. My uppercard is now Coleman, Cougar, Dragon, Elemental, and Rayne. The midcard is Flash, Moose, Jordan, Idol, Perez, Weasel, and California Love Machine. Now there's a midcard that doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence... and of course, the rest are the jobbers. I have to decide if I'm going to keep using Elemental for the Xtreme Title, or if I'm going to hand that off to someone else and use him in the main event picture. It seems wrong for the Zone Champion and the Xtreme Champion to be at the same level.

Decisions, decisions...

CZCW Onslaught #34

Okay, this 'transitional show' had the potential for massive suck. We start with American Elemental dropping the Xtreme Title to, of all people, The American Flash. It's not a bad match... actually, fairly good, and gives me some hope for Flash's reign. We follow that up with Snap Dragon getting a win over Jeremiah Moose, in a rather blah matchup. Next, the T5: Tag Title Triple Threat Tussle.The Shoot Club faces P-n-P and Rich & Famous. It looks obvious that Rich & Famous is going to walk away with the win, when the mystery man slides into the ring and tosses Jake Idol out of the ring, onto the guardrail. With his partner out, Jordan doesn't have what it takes, but is enough of a distract for the champs to allow Jonnie Perez to climb the ladder. Yes, I just made Jonnie Perez and Paranoia my tag champs. God forgive me... but it was actually a decent match, so, who knows...

For the second half of our show, we start with Bryan Holmes getting a squash over Amazing Fire Fly, and it's possibly the best squash match ever – I'd feel good putting this as a main event. Compared ot that, Donnie J vs Matt Sparrow is a significant letdown, with Donnie getting the win but not putting on a good show. Then, our main event is Masked Cougar defending against California Love Machine, due to our not having anyone we want to lose momentum at this point in time. It's an okay match, but not really main event material.

I should've put the squash on first.

(Show rating: D+, 2,000 tickets sold. Match of the night: Holmes/Fire Fly. Trash of the night: Dragon/Moose and Donnie/Sparrow.)

On the next Welcome: Okay, transitional show complete. Now, let's see if we can kick it into high gear...

September 2010, week 3

Okay, so, to recap, I just took titles off of Speedball, Al Coleman, and American Elemental and put them on Jonnie Perez, Paranoia, and American Flash. I really hope that wasn't a series of bad decisions. The last show wasn't as good as I had hoped, but we sold out the Grissom, so until we stop doing that, I'll assume I'm doing okay.

I figure we'll give Cougar the night off, and tonight we'll do two triple threat matches to see who'll face Cougar in a triple threat match next week. Makes sense to me, at least.

CZCW Onslaught #35

We open with PnP defending the Tag Titles against Going Coastal. It's... well, almost bad, but not quite. Paranoia gets the win in an attempt to make him seem a bit more legitimate to the crowd. It'll be a long struggle, but we'll turn these two into decent midcarders if it kills us. Our next match has Jackpot Jordan calling out his partner's mystery attacker for a match and losing; it's a decent match but the crowd's not into it at all, and that hurts. We follow that up with American Flash defending the Xtreme Title against Amazing Fire Fly, and it's the best match of the night so far; Fire Fly seems to perform up to the level of his opponent.

Our two triple threat matches should, hopefully, save this show. Our first one pits Donnie J, Bryan Holmes, and American Elemental against each other. It's decent, but not on the level of what we were hoping for. Holmes gets the win, but I'm getting uneasy. Which isn't good, as I'm in the main event with Snap Dragon and Al Coleman. We... honestly, we stink up the joint. Dragon gets the win, but it's a loss for all of us.

(Show rating: D-, 2,000 tickets. Match of the night: Holmes/Donnie/Elemental. Trash of the night: Jordan/Mystery Man.)

On the next Welcome: Oooo, boy, that's not a good sign... don't tell me our mojo got signed by TCW, too... we need to reverse this trend, and stat...

September 2010, week 4

We decided to let Little Miss Sunshine's contract lapse. We had too many managers and not enough people in need of managing, I felt.

We decided to go a bit different this week, with a seven-match show.

CZCW Onslaught #36

We open with Donnie J defeating California Love Machine, and Donnie seemed to be sandbagging, while CLM just wasn't having a good night. And it chills the crowd for the tag title match as PnP defeat Jebediah and Montiero – yeah, that goes down about as well as you'd expect. We try to pump it up a bit with American Flash defending the Xtreme Title against Air Attack Weasel, but it... doesn't work, as the matches have been fairly poor so far.

Our next match doesn't help. Jake Idol calls out his mystery attacker and, after a short match, pins him and unmasks him, to reveal... Brandan Idol, who begins screaming about how Jake stole his name. It's... well, better than the tag match, but that's not saying much. We try to kick things up by giving Rayne Man a win over Al Coleman, but that manages to be even worse.

We turn to Matt Sparrow and Amazing Fire Fly to save the day and warm up the crowd for the main event. It's a totally average match, but Fire Fly continues to look like he belongs. Which leaves us with out main event; Holmes, dragon, and Cougar in a triple-threat match for the Zone Title. Ladder, of course, as all title matches here are. The crowd is cold, and slowly warm up through the match, but it just barely passes what we consider suitable for a main event; after last week, I'm grateful for anything... there's applause when Cougar retrieves his title, and that's enough for me.

(Show rating: D+, 1,899 tickets sold. Match of the night: Cougar/Holmes/Dragon. Trash of the night: Rayne/Coleman.)

On the next Welcome: Not only are we putting on poorer shows, for the first time since I started booking we failed to sell out a show. If this keeps up, we may have to return to the Snake Pit... with my tail tucked between my legs...

October 2010, week 1

So, how had our alumni been doing lately? Art Reed had two appearances with TCW; a singles win over Brent Hill, and a loss in a six-man tag. Mikey James has now lost four seperate All Action Title matches to Harry Allen, but has a few singles wins as well. Flying Jimmy Foxx hasn't had a win since April. Frankie Perez seemed to be alternating wins and losses in various matches. Oddly enough, TCW recently put on a nearly-all-CZCW match, as Frankie Perez, Mikey James, and Des Davids defeated Insane Machine, Jimmy Foxx, and Fumihiro Ota.

Over on the SWF side of things, James Prudence was on a four-win streak; our old buddy Valiant was still one half of the SWF Tag Champions, and Remmy Skye recently put an end to a long losing streak with a win over Steel.

CZCW Onslaught #37

Tonight, we pull out all... well, most... of the stops. We open with Speedball taking on American Elemental... and... holy freakin' crap on a crutch! This is one of the best matches we've ever put on... and it's opening the show? I think I've set us up for dissapointment now. We follow it up with PnP taking on Rich & Famous. Both Paranoia and Perez took some amazing bumps, but the crowd was let down by how much worse this match was from the opener, and nobody was surprised when Brendan Idol ran in and attacked Jake and Jordan, letting PnP retrieve their titles. We get the crowd back into things as American Flash defends his title against Matt Sparrow in a decent match.

Let's break out the star power. Rayne Man and myself put over Bryan Holmes and Donnie J and... wow, that's two matches in a row that I cause to suck. Maybe I need to take a break? Whatever. Our main event is Masked Cougar defending against Snap Dragon, and it's a good match – on any show that didn't have that opening match, it would be the match of the night. Cougar retains, as I'm not completely shaken in my confidence in him. Yet.

(Show rating: D+, 1,899 tickets sold. Match of the night: Speedball/Elemental. Trash of the night: PnP/Rich & Famous.)

On the next Welcome: At this point, we're not sure. We have one or two more matches we want to try before giving Cougar up as a bad idea and finding a new champion.

October 2010, week 2

It was another slow week, and I had to decide which of two Cougar matches I wanted to run... because if it did poorly, the next would have to have the title change hands, and I wasn't sure who I wanted to step into that position.

As the boys were arriving, I heard shouts. Naturally, that gets my attention, so I run out there... and see Al Coleman take a swing at some guy! Speedball and Jebediah managed to haul him away so the punch didn't connect... but geeze... one of my guys just almost assaulted someone? I spend the next half-hour in his ear, angry. The last thing I need now is for one of my workers to get arrested. And the little prick blows me off! Like nothing happened. Yeah, it was the other guys who made sure nothing happened...

So maybe I was a bit distracted when I booked this...

CZCW Onslaught #38

We open the show with a Tag Title match between PnP and … Ant-Man and Amazing Fire-Fly. Yes, the tag titles are currently in jobberville for the time being. The surprising thing is how good this match is. I had discovered the best thing about PnP: Both members are willing to do crazy stunts on my say-so. PnP retain, but the surprising thing is that this is actually a perfectly average match.. uh-oh... Paranoia's not getting up... and the crowd's mood is killed as he gets put onto a stretcher and carried away. We follow that up with Donnie J in a squash over Jackpot Jordan... and that's, frankly, horrible. I have to wonder if Donnie's heart is in this anymore. Jeremiah Moose gets a victory over Roger Montiero, and that's about the same quality. We then go on to American Flash defending the Xtreme Title against Jake Idol; naturally, Brendan Idol makes an appearance, but this time Jake is ready for him and whips him into the ladder while Flash is climbing, and then scales another while both men are down. Your new Xtreme Champion: Jake Idol. Yes, I'm just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks...

For our main event festivities, we start with Bryan Holmes defeating Marc Speed. It's a decent match, but I know both men are capable of so much more. For our final match, Masked Cougar defends against Matt Sparrow, and these two come through for us with a good match that will, hopefully, leave a better impression than some of the earlier matches.

(Show rating: C-, 2,000 tickets sold. Match of the night: Cougar/Sparrow. Trash of the night: Donnie/Jackpot.)

On the next Welcome: Disaster. What could drive Fox Mask to... quit?

October 2010, week 3

I'm at the lowest point I've ever been. Lower even than that time I broke Plague's ankle on a botched moonsault. I had found that Perez and Paranoia were willing to do whatever I said. We worked crazy stunts into their title defenses. And last night...

Last night Paranoia broke his neck on a ladder-to-ladder dive we'd worked out.

I... I can't do this. I need to take a week off. So I get Dragon and Cougar, since they've been with me here the longest it feels, and tell them to book the show for the night. I tell them my plans, and tell them to go wild.

CZCW Onslaught #39

So, Cougar and I had a long talk about what we wanted to do tonight; it's one thing to be given the book, but it's another to be given it under these circumstances. We knew how we were going to end the show; the trick was figuring out the beginning. We decide to do a crowd-pleaser; Marc Speed and Matt Sparrow taking on Going Coastal. The big names win, of course, and it's a good enough match to start the show – although without Moose's injury, it probably would've been main-event quality. We move on to a series of squashes; Rayne Man over Brendan Idol (Sucks!), Jonnie Perez over Al Coleman (Sucks more!), Jake Idol defending the Xtreme Title against Amazing Fire Fly (eh, not bad. Not good, but not bad). Ant-Man getting a surprise victory over Air Attack Weasel (Sucks!). Donnie J defeats American Flash (Again, not good, not bad).

Sadly, my match with American Elemental doesn't go much better, which is a shame. I had hoped to get the crowd going for Cougar's match. Cougar had hoped so, too, as he was facing Bryan Holmes – and this time, Holmes was regaining his title. It was a good match, but the crowd just wasn't into it.

(Show rating: D+, 1,911 tickets. Match of the night: Cougar/Holmes. Trash of the night: Jonnie/Coleman.)

On the next Welcome: With Fox Mask gone, Cougar and Dragon continue to steer the ship.

October 2010, week 4

Nobody had seen Fox all week. He wasn't answering his cell, wasn't showing up at the Resort, nothing. So when Dragon and I showed up to the Grissom and Fox didn't show... we decided we still had the book. We also had a major pain in our rears, as Donnie J was complaining about how Fox wouldn't talk to him about renewing his contract... so he was leaving to see what else he could find. Well... that told me and Dragon what we were going to book tonight...

CZCW Onslaught #40

We were starting to see how our booking style differed from Fox's. He liked longer matches; we tended to cram a bunch of smaller ones, so the guys would get paid. We open up with Matt Sparrow defeating Jonnie Perez in a decent match, followed by our string of shorter matches: Brendan Idol defeating Jebediah (Sucks, but not too much), Amazing Fire Fly defeating Jackpot Jordan (Eh, was okay), Jake Idol defending the Xtreme Title against Rayne Man (Sucks, but screw Rayne Man...), and then American Elemental defeating Air Attack Weasel (Decent).

Next, as Fox had laid out for us two weeks ago, Dragon and I defeated The Shoot Club in a ladder match for the vacated-by-necessity Tag Titles, in a good-if-we-say-so-ourselves match. Then, in the main event, Bryan Holmes beat Donnie J... and Donnie sandbagged him all the way. You could tell Holmes was getting angry with him... he's lucky he didn't get stiffed. Very unprofessional... and having that in our main event, well... we looked bush league.

(Show rating: D, 2,000 tickets. Match of the night: Lords of Xtreme vs Shoot Club. Trash of the Night: Brendan Idol vs Jebediah.)

On the next Welcome: Will our new bookers crash the Zone into the ground, or will Fox drag himself out of whatever gutter he crawled into?

November 2010, week 1

We tried to tell him. We were doing what Fox told us. But he wouldn't listen... or didn't care. One half of the Shoot Club, Al Coleman, walked out on the Zone. We'd been in charge two weeks and lost two members of the roster.

Meanwhile, Mikey James had finally won the TCW All Action Title. Zoners were doing good... the Zone was doing bad. But hey, it could be worse... wait... -who- just made an offer to Bryan Holmes???

Maybe we should try to book this one like Fox would...

CZCW Onslaught #41

We open with ourselves defeating Going Coastal to retain the Tag Titles. We all try to protect Jeremiah as much as possible, and in the end we turn out a pretty good match. We follow that up with American Flash defeating Jonnie Perez (Sucks!) and Speedball defeating Rayne Man (Sucks, but not as much).

Next up, Matt Sparrow gets a win over Donnie J; we were hoping their natural chemistry would offset Donnie's dislike of things, but once again Donnie sandbags and drags things down to simply average. But our main event... the main event delivers, as Bryan Holmes defends against American Elemental. We give them twenty-five minutes, like Fox would have, and they repay us with one heck of a match. Holmes retains... but if Fox doesn't show up next week, we'll happily re-run this one...

(Show rating: C-, 1,629 tickets. Match of the night: Holmes/Elemental. Trash of the night: Flash/Perez.)

On the next Welcome: Return of the Fox.

Next up, Matt Sparrow gets a win over Donnie J; we were hoping their natural chemistry would offset Donnie's dislike of things, but once again Donnie sandbags and drags things down to simply average.

I always fired Donnie J in 2008 and its going to be no different when I get into a CZCW game this time around, as I always do. He's crap in comparison to all the other guys on the roster and at least in 08 could go more than 16 with out being tired let alone a high 20 minute match.

November 2010, week 2

Bryan Holmes accepted an offer to go to GCG; it wasn't a written deal, but still... it meant he'd be working more, getting banged up more... but they weren't on tour until December, so that gave us a bit of time. Donnie's contract was ending. Ant-Man was up for renewal. So was Rayne Man... but we were going to let that one slide, see if we can find someone else to fill his spot, who can actually work. Coleman walked out on us? Well... good riddance. The boy could work, but that attitude of his...

And yeah, I was back. I'd spent the last few weeks... well, it's none of your damn business, really, what I've been doing. I'm back. Let's get to work.

Oh... and from now on? No more ladder matches. The Zone is being grounded. I won't have another paralyzed kid on my conscience.

CZCW Onslaught #42

Our opening match is a six-man bout with Amazing Fire Fly, Ant-Man, Brendan Idol, Jonnie Perez, Jackpot Jordan, and Roger Montiero. It's... well, it's okay, for the talent involved. Rather surprisingly, Amazing Fire Fly gets the win. We then get a decent match with Donnie J defeating Air Attack Weasel. I know, he's leaving. I figure he doesn't deserve to job every single match before he goes. I respect him too much. We then go to an Xtreme Title match between Jake Idol and California Love Machine, which Idol wins to retain. About what I'd expect from these two. Then Speedball surprises me by being unable to drag Jeremiah Moose to a decent ma... wait... Moose got injured? The same night Paranoia did? Why did nobody tell me?

I take to the ring to face Masked Cougar, defeating him in a solid match to remind peoplee of my place in the heirarchy. Then, our main event sees Bryan Holmes defend the Zone Title against Snap Dragon. It's a good, long match that sees Holmes retain.

(Show rating: C-, 2,000 tickets sold. Match of the night: Holmes/Dragon. Trassh of the Night: That six-man thing.)

On the next Welcome: The Zone, with no ladder matches? If Fox overcompensating, or is this a reaasonable attempt at preventing injuries?

Archived