Diary Preview Thread

Also while I'm asking I read on wiki: Most matches are two out of three falls does this mean most as in 6 out of 7 on a card or does it mean all are 2/3 falls unless a specific special occasion. Also weight divisions anyone know where I can find info on these or tell me if they are essential. Edit: Found something for weight classes :)

Also if a guy loses a mask in order to move onto a new gimmick is it recognised that he is the same guy or do they pretend it is someone new completely (do they have to be built up as credible main eventer or will they be accepted on previous gimmicks.)

Reading the wiki I'm really interested in lucha and I believe there is a lucha wikia.

Reading about El Santo keeping on his mask after retirement and bing buried in it makes me see why more thought must go into booking in Mexico.

Edit: Just realised this is the wrong thread for this :p

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also while I'm asking I read on wiki: Most matches are two out of three falls does this mean most as in 6 out of 7 on a card or does it mean all are 2/3 falls unless a specific special occasion. Also weight divisions anyone know where I can find info on these or tell me if they are essential.

Also if a guy loses a mask in order to move onto a new gimmick is it recognised that he is the same guy or do they pretend it is someone new completely (do they have to be built up as credible main eventer or will they be accepted on previous gimmicks.)

Reading the wiki I'm really interested in lucha and I believe there is a lucha wikia.

Reading about El Santo keeping on his mask after retirement and bing buried in it makes me see why more thought must go into booking in Mexico.

Edit: Just realised this is the wrong thread for this :p

I think most matches means all, unless there is a different stipulation in place. There are also special rules for tag team matches (tags aren't necessary, for example) and trios rules can be found on the wiki.

There is indeed a lucha wikia...

http://www.luchawiki.com/

Although I think you'll find it more useful for info about wrestlers than anything else.

You can find CMLL results here...

http://www.thecubsfan.com/cmll/

...and a more general results/news site here...

http://www.luchaworld.com/

You can watch lucha libre on youtube by visiting this channel...

http://www.youtube.com/user/LuchaLibreDeMexico

...although obviously it is in Spanish.

Thanks a lot, the lucha wiki should keep me busy :D

Also, would it be fair to say SOTBPW are less likely to be so strict on the honour and the sticking to weight classes (I read they are nominal now anyway).

It depends what you mean by honour, but I would imagine that SOTBPW's product is closer to sports entertainment like AAA, whereas OLLIE and MPWF would be more like CMLL.

As for weight classes, AAA have far fewer title belts than CMLL, so yes. If it were me - and I am by no means a particularly knowledgeable lucha fan - I would stick to the minimum/maximum weights provided by the game and only go above that when the wrestler is extremely popular and well-respected (i.e. not a rookie).

I meant like cheap finishes, I have basically no clue on lucha so I'd imagine less traditional (which I'm assuming SOTBPW is, correct me if I'm wrong :)) would be more lenient on them, where as the other would hate them. I was thinking about sticking to weight classes as part of the "honour", by which I mean serious sport and true competition, but you answered about weight classes.

Thanks for the help :)

I meant like cheap finishes, I have basically no clue on lucha so I'd imagine less traditional (which I'm assuming SOTBPW is, correct me if I'm wrong :)) would be more lenient on them, where as the other would hate them. I was thinking about sticking to weight classes as part of the "honour", by which I mean serious sport and true competition, but you answered about weight classes.

Thanks for the help :)

You should be fine with cheap finishes. Lucha libre uses 20 counts though, not ten, and you can be disqualified for using a piledriver (martinete), removing your opponent's mask, hitting the ref etc. The match can also be stopped by the referee for 'extreme aggression', with the aggressor being given the victory. I wouldn't book a DQ every week, but there's nothing to stop you using them every so often.

Yeah I read about that actually and I also read about 2 referees in six man or more match, with heel referees. What about run ins are they regular or rare. And also, are turns more rare in Mexico.

Now I see why a lot don't (play or write) Mexico super fun but quite a bit to get my head around before starting and rushing in play, though I'm glad I did. :)

Yeah I read about that actually and I also read about 2 referees in six man or more match, with heel referees. What about run ins are they regular or rare. And also, are turns more rare in Mexico.

Now I see why a lot don't (play or write) Mexico super fun but quite a bit to get my head around before starting and rushing in play, though I'm glad I did. :)

I think run-ins are not uncommon. In fact, judging by last week's results on luchaworld there were run-ins on a few of the shows. Using the ropes seems to be a more popular tainted win.

Couldn't tell you about turns, though, unfortunately.

This is a graphic-less version of what would be the first post

Creative Has Nothing For You – DOA and Jake Manning

Jake Manning, Prospect

Jake started his career young, both booking and wrestling for the Backyard Hooliganz and there traveling wrestling show. Once BHW started to take off, it became more and more clear that Manning was the only star in the company. His wrestling caught the Eisen eye and he was off to New England to join SWF.

Early on in his SWF career many experts tipped Manning to be a hot young prospect. While his ‘Jake Manning, Better Than You’ gimmick was boring at best, his matches where exceptional for the card position he was in. Unfortunately he had no real storylines, only one off matches where he made people look good but lost or he beat on some local wrestler.

That all changed when the booking team led by Sam Keith moved him into a feud with Vengeance where he was to slowly turn face by battling (but never beating) the monster and gaining the fans respect. However, when Keith was fired and Michaels took over, that storyline was dropped. Vengeance savagely beat Manning down and Manning disappeared off of TV for two months.

When he turned he stated he had shunned his old name, his old lifestyle. He was now ‘Eli’. He used a running DDT move that took off with the fans. He would have made a huge splash as a face. Unfortunately, Michaels had other plans. Eli was to be a sidekick to Vengeance, taking shots for Vengeance and distracting faces so Vengeance could savagely beat them. This lasted a year until he received an e-mail, not from an Eisen or even Peter Michaels but creative assistant Casey.

The most dreaded words in the SWF.

Creative has nothing for you.

Critiques and comments please :)

• 2 weeks later...

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t112/thetramp_photos/SWF/SWF.pnghttp://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t112/thetramp_photos/TCW/VS.pnghttp://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t112/thetramp_photos/TCW/TCW-1.png

War's Over? It's Only Just Begun!

<hr>

Whilst the graphic may look like an angry face (>:~|), this something I've had the idea for, for well over a year. I'm want to finish the project before I post it (if that makes sense) or get a good chunk of it done, so this is not imminent but I have a question.

Is War's Over? grammatically correct in this context, as In you think it's over, no it's just begun. It's some old cliche but IDK if it is grammatically correct, I'm sure someone can help me out
:D
I think it might be right as it is a shorten version / colloquialism of "(the) war is over?" I think
:)

Whilst the graphic may look like an angry face (>:~|), this something I've had the idea for, for well over a year. I'm want to finish the project before I post it (if that makes sense) or get a good chunk of it done, so this is not imminent but I have a question.

Is War's Over? grammatically correct in this context, as In you think it's over, no it's just begun. It's some old cliche but IDK if it is grammatically correct, I'm sure someone can help me out :D I think it might be right as it is a shorten version / colloquialism of "(the) war is over?" I think :)

Assuming you are wanting to say 'War Is Over? It's Only Just Begun!' you're fine. It's one of those strange sentences that is perfectly correct but doesn't quite look right written down. Personally, I'd go for 'The War Is Over? It Has Only Just Begun!' :) I'll look forward to reading it, whatever the title!

Assuming you are wanting to say 'War Is Over? It's Only Just Begun!' you're fine. It's one of those strange sentences that is perfectly correct but doesn't quite look right written down. Personally, I'd go for 'The War Is Over? It Has Only Just Begun!' :) I'll look forward to reading it, whatever the title!

I like that suggestion a lot. Maybe it just has more clarity to me or something. I dunno :p

***Just an idea I've been toying with...

Time: MAY 2011

Place: TNA Impact!

Revelation: Jim Cornette is the Network Representative...

Wrestling really does matter!

Cornette can't leave ROH right now! That's blasphemy!

I'd go with: The War Is Over? It's Only Just Begun!

Grammatically, it's the same as above, but it flows better. I must admit that a big part of what might make me read a diary is the title - not whether it's eye-catching, but just whether it suggests the writer has a firm grasp of English. More than a few diaries around here probably deserve my time, but shaky English (as in, you'd fail English at GSCE level if you used it for essays) really puts me off.

That said, jhd1's suggestion isn't incorrect - it's just that while I can imagine, say, the Guru or Kashmir Singh being precise in their pronunciation, almost any native English speaker (especially those involved in wrestling, which largely excludes the upper classes :p) would use the contraction.

Like I said - I'm picky :D

I'd go with: The War Is Over? It's Only Just Begun!

Grammatically, it's the same as above, but it flows better. I must admit that a big part of what might make me read a diary is the title - not whether it's eye-catching, but just whether it suggests the writer has a firm grasp of English. More than a few diaries around here probably deserve my time, but shaky English (as in, you'd fail English at GSCE level if you used it for essays) really puts me off.

That said, jhd1's suggestion isn't incorrect - it's just that while I can imagine, say, the Guru or Kashmir Singh being precise in their pronunciation, almost any native English speaker (especially those involved in wrestling, which largely excludes the upper classes :p) would use the contraction.

Like I said - I'm picky :D

That was originally how I'd written it, but it sounded funny to me to have one contraction (It's) and one fully written out (War Is). :D

Now I've read both so many times that each word has lost its meaning... :p

I have actually gone off that name now :p bit too cliched, I'll have to get my thinking cap on.

How about...

SWF vs TCW: The Battle Rages On

The Total War For Supremacy

SWF vs TCW: War Without Peace

Eisen/Cornell

SWF: Because TCW Is Far Too Boring :D

Okay, so not all of those are serious, one is a music reference and the other is my mauling of a famous book. It's a start :D

Thanks for the suggestions, I have a good while to think about it before I start the dynasty anyway :) I've decided I need to be a half way through it (I have a set start and finish for this, kind of.) AND have gotten to 2015 in USPW (2 more shows.)

December 31st, 2009.

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z453/EddStoneNOTBPW/Characters/DanStone_Self1.jpghttp://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z453/EddStoneNOTBPW/Characters/DanStoneJr_Self2.jpghttp://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z453/EddStoneNOTBPW/Characters/JeremyStone_Self3.jpghttp://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z453/EddStoneNOTBPW/Characters/SeanMcFly.jpghttp://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z453/EddStoneNOTBPW/Characters/VictoriaStone.jpghttp://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z453/EddStoneNOTBPW/Characters/DuaneStone_Self1.jpg

--

...“I don’t wish to bring business into family time, but with Jeremy busy with the House, Victoria spending so much time on the booking job and Duane away in Japan, I’m unlikely to get another opportunity to bring all of you together,” Dan Sr. pauses, probably for gravitas. “To cut straight to the point, I’m considering retirement. I feel that it’s about time I handed over the reins and enjoyed some time away from the business. I don’t intend for this to be immediate, but I’ll be looking to step down at some point over the next year.”

--

...“Not that I’m much of a businessman, so I doubt I’d be first choice anyway, but I’m committed to Burning Hammer right now."

--

“Well, you know that I’d love to take over, Dad. I know the ropes, and if you’ll have me, then I know that I’ll do a great job,” Dan Jr. pauses just a moment too long. “Of course, I wouldn’t want to muscle in on Vicky and Jeremy, if they’d like the job.”

--

“I’d rather concentrate on the House. As you know, we’re pretty much self-sufficient there. I don’t think I could handle wrestling, teaching, balancing the House’s books and running the company."

--

“Actually Dad, I was intending to tell you that I’m thinking of stepping down as head booker. I’d like to spend some more time with Sean and Lucy."

--

Dan Jr. grins triumphantly. “I won’t let you down, Dad,”

--

Dan Sr. reclines in his seat once again, sweeping his assembled family with a pleased look. “I’m glad that went so smoothly. Thank you everyone. It’s decided, Dan will be my successo-“

“Aren’t y’all forgetting somebody!?”

--

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z453/EddStoneNOTBPW/Characters/EddStone.jpg

NOTBPW: The Prodigal Stone

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z453/EddStoneNOTBPW/Events/NOTBPWBanner.jpg

Archived