Dare I say the D word on release day ( a draft disscussion thread )

There's clearly interest, but being organised for the draft needs to be done first. NEVER start something without a solid plan first, especially when there are likely to be lots of people taking part. :)

Personally, I think the set up should be:

Pre-set bundles: Each with some advantages and disadvantages. 1 for everyone.

10 written rounds

22 PPA rounds

No need to draft boxes or complicated things... it would be fun to use narratives for things, but I believe they can be part of the bundles. For example, you could get a futureshock bundle that hurts you a little to start with but gives you positive relationships, a future prestige boost and your own home grown dojo. Or another example, lit fuse bundle... where you get a prestige/popularity boost to start with but also gives you 3 guys with low levels of law trouble and 3 with low levels of drug use.

I'm always a fan of making each promotion a little different from each other... but ultimately, I'd rather go back to a simple drafting format. By removing the hassle of using picks for anything except TV deals (which almost everyone should have in their bundles) it makes the whole process easier.

And I'm NOT a fan of drafting future workers as that seems unbalanced... I AM a fan of people actually drafting people with their picks. I'd enforce a rule that you HAVE to have a 28 person minimum roster by the end of the draft (and possible with your picks throughout too :p). Again, keeping it simple.

As for who is running it... as long as it's not me I'm happy. Might have a new job soon so I'll have no chance of running it. But I like to influence things as much as possible. :)

The problem with the bundles for me is how to distribute them. People could pick, or it could be randomized.

Obviously it'd be up to the draft organizer.

Why? From the earliest posts, this thread is not about starting a draft but about figuring out when to start a draft and what people want to see in a draft. As both Stennick and derek b have said, I think most need/want a few weeks to get use to the new data before doing a draft. I know that I haven't even had a chance to do more than download the game at this point. Obviously someone will eventually need to step forward to be the one(s) who will run the draft, but I don't see why that has to be in the next week or so. If someone wants to, that's fine, but I also think most of the drafts that failed to get started in the past year were due to the person who proposed them not really knowing what it was they wanted to do beyond "let's have a draft". As someone who has run multiple CV drafts, I can say that simply isn't enough pre-work being done.

EDIT: this was in response to TMO's post #24, but derek & he snuck in responses while I was typing. :D

I really think that if someone doesn't bite the bullet within the next week or so and start a draft then this may end up like the attempted drafts at the tail-end of 08.

Just my view though.

I'd have thought it would be far better to wait a while. I'm still getting to grips with the original data as it stands - having a draft set to play with as well would be overkill for a while, for me at least. I'd definitely be up for one, but would much prefer to wait at least a month or two before we started.

To respond to both of you, I should have phrased it better.

I meant that somebody should be ready to say they will be willing to run a draft, not to start it or even take sign-ups within the next week if even the next couple of weeks. A lot of people didn't sign up last time because (imo) there was a lot of fuss over how it would be done and whether there would be enough interest and people who had signed on started to drift out and no new people came to fill their spots.

It needs somebody to say (and noone has yet) Ok, I will do this, I will organize something and this will no longer just be speculation.

Reading back on my post it sounds like I'm asking for a draft messiah. :D

Perhaps I'm wrong, but the great thing is I can delete my posts if I am proven wrong. :p

The problem with the bundles for me is how to distribute them. People could pick, or it could be randomized.

Obviously it'd be up to the draft organizer.

Pre-set bundles... people pick whichever one suits their strategy. Australian based promotions might go for a bundle that boost popularity but hits prestige (since they'd need one more than the other) and has other fringe effects. American based promotions might go for a prestige boost so as to get an advantage on other promotions early on, despite the long term risks. A Japanese promotion might go for extra written contracts in R11 and R12 to lock in more talent for them, at the cost of potentially losing out completely on talents that go into the PPA pool. Stuff like that.

That's why some thought would need to go into the bundles in order to make them balanced, and then each player could pick one that suits them. No limit on the number of bundles, just a quick way to customise your promotion so that you stand out a little bit.

Even with that said... whoever runs it can still do what they want. If they like the work of mystery boxes and tracking their effects then go for it. :p

Pre-set bundles... people pick whichever one suits their strategy. Australian based promotions might go for a bundle that boost popularity but hits prestige (since they'd need one more than the other) and has other fringe effects. American based promotions might go for a prestige boost so as to get an advantage on other promotions early on, despite the long term risks. A Japanese promotion might go for extra written contracts in R11 and R12 to lock in more talent for them, at the cost of potentially losing out completely on talents that go into the PPA pool. Stuff like that.

That's why some thought would need to go into the bundles in order to make them balanced, and then each player could pick one that suits them. No limit on the number of bundles, just a quick way to customise your promotion so that you stand out a little bit.

Even with that said... whoever runs it can still do what they want. If they like the work of mystery boxes and tracking their effects then go for it. :p

O

You mean the bundles would be used to customize the companies instead of just being an easier alternative to mystery boxes. That is a completely golden idea and I am very supportive of it.

This would be fine with me as well, and it really should mean there don't need to be that many different types of bundles. I guess the major issue would be trying make certain the bundles are balanced with each other so that there doesn't become one or two that everyone selects. But like you, I agree this is really up to whoever decides to run the draft.

I forget who first came up with this idea back during an 08' draft (either derek_b or earygat), but I definitely like it.

The way I was actually thinking about doing it for a future draft was as follow:

* Scrap mystery boxes entirely.

* Create bundles that correspond exactly (or closely) with the number of drafters. There will be one round where everyone takes turn drafting a bundle. A bundle may only be selected once.

* Create a draft order using random.org or some other site.

* There will then be a first round, with the person who drew the 1st pick deciding if the 1st round will be a worker selection round or the bundle selection round. Since it is a serpentine draft and the following round will be whatever the first round was not, the person with the 1st pick will essentially be deciding if they want first dibs at the boxes or the first worker pick in the draft. If he picks to have first dibs on the boxes he will get the last worker pick, and if he picks the worker pick first the opposite will happen.

* Any individual aspect of a bundle will be trade-able, as will the typical stuff (2 PPV levels, 1 re-activation). Everyone else would also all get to get a TV deal and PPV deal, but these would be selected in two rounds at the end of the draft. People could trade their TV/PPV deal round or swap spots in it as a trade chip though (This would be relevant because once a networks limit for wrestling shows was reached it couldn't be drafted anymore).

* People would also be able to trade finance levels.

* Aside from that, the draft would proceed as normal.

What do you guys think? :)

I forget who first came up with this idea back during an 08' draft (either derek_b or earygat), but I definitely like it.

The way I was actually thinking about doing it for a future draft was as follow:

* Scrap mystery boxes entirely.

* Create bundles that correspond exactly (or closely) with the number of drafters. There will be one round where everyone takes turn drafting a bundle. A bundle may only be selected once.

* Create a draft order using random.org or some other site.

* There will then be a first round, with the person who drew the 1st pick deciding if the 1st round will be a worker selection round or the bundle selection round. Since it is a serpentine draft and the following round will be whatever the first round was not, the person with the 1st pick will essentially be deciding if they want first dibs at the boxes or the first worker pick in the draft. If he picks to have first dibs on the boxes he will get the last worker pick, and if he picks the worker pick first the opposite will happen.

* Any individual aspect of a bundle will be trade-able, as will the typical stuff (2 PPV levels, 1 re-activation). Everyone else would also all get to get a TV deal and PPV deal, but these would be selected in two rounds at the end of the draft. People could trade their TV/PPV deal round or swap spots in it as a trade chip though (This would be relevant because once a networks limit for wrestling shows was reached it couldn't be drafted anymore).

* People would also be able to trade finance levels.

* Aside from that, the draft would proceed as normal.

What do you guys think? :)

NO TRADES!

It was hard enough last time...:o

one more question before i move this in to the next phase;

1. Bundles or myster boxes with the draft?

I'm fine either way but would need someone to figure those out, I think if i did it the positives would be positive and the negatives would be negative

Also a suggestion for anyone working on yearly mods ( if its not to late ) since that was one of the things last year, people wanting to do mods based on c-verse circa #### would be to make to zip files one with all wrestlers before you create the promotions as it is basically your default draft data.

one more question before i move this in to the next phase;

I'm fine either way but would need someone to figure those out, I think if i did it the positives would be positive and the negatives would be negative

Also a suggestion for anyone working on yearly mods ( if its not to late ) since that was one of the things last year, people wanting to do mods based on c-verse circa #### would be to make to zip files one with all wrestlers before you create the promotions as it is basically your default draft data.

I'd say bundles with a mix of positive and negative.

Archived