Dare I say the D word on release day ( a draft disscussion thread )

After having a bit of a draft hiatus myself, I'll probably sign up once everyone has had a few weeks to get to grips with the new game. I always enjoy drafts, though I'm starting to regret ever adding the mystery boxes... some people (not singling anyone out Kobe :p) take them waaay too far, making them the key focus of the draft rather than the drafting of workers themselves.

So if there are boxes, they need a bit of a rethink. Even just having a range of set bundles to start with would be quite nice. Maybe 10 deals that people could choose from at the start, then never have to worry about again except for trades and the like. A couple of examples...

BUNDLE #1: +5 National Popularity (promotion), +10 National Popularity (worker), Lose 2 Levels Of Finances, -2 Promotion Prestige, TV Deal (use draft pick), (event levels and worker reactivation for everyone).

BUNDLE #1: +10 Promotion Prestige, PPV Deal (use draft pick), Medium Injury (random worker), Steroid Problems (3 random workers), TV Deal (use draft pick), (event levels and worker reactivation for everyone).

That way there would be good and bad things in each set and people could build strategies around things they have chosen. I think this would be a pretty nifty step up, and it'll save a lot of headaches for whoever runs it. :)

With none of the TEW2010 rosters screaming "Play me" just yet, I'd probably be up for a draft. 2010 would probably make a whole bunch of Cult promotions more balanced anyway, as certain ones would be able to offer written deals. The amount of top stars on PPA's in my diary game is sickening. I'm spoiled for choice. You don't want to know how many TCW & SWF Main Eventers I could hire...

I'd like to participate in one, but don't have time to run one right now. :)

I agree that the mystery box concept should be re-thought at this point. It could maybe re-designed the way Derek describes, or else people could "draft narratives" instead as the primary tools in the mystery boxes.

After having a bit of a draft hiatus myself, I'll probably sign up once everyone has had a few weeks to get to grips with the new game. I always enjoy drafts, though I'm starting to regret ever adding the mystery boxes... some people (not singling anyone out Kobe :p) take them waaay too far, making them the key focus of the draft rather than the drafting of workers themselves.

So if there are boxes, they need a bit of a rethink. Even just having a range of set bundles to start with would be quite nice. Maybe 10 deals that people could choose from at the start, then never have to worry about again except for trades and the like. A couple of examples...

BUNDLE #1: +5 National Popularity (promotion), +10 National Popularity (worker), Lose 2 Levels Of Finances, -2 Promotion Prestige, TV Deal (use draft pick), (event levels and worker reactivation for everyone).

BUNDLE #1: +10 Promotion Prestige, PPV Deal (use draft pick), Medium Injury (random worker), Steroid Problems (3 random workers), TV Deal (use draft pick), (event levels and worker reactivation for everyone).

That way there would be good and bad things in each set and people could build strategies around things they have chosen. I think this would be a pretty nifty step up, and it'll save a lot of headaches for whoever runs it. :)

something like this would be great. as I remember from the last one that we tried to organize finding someone to organize and run that portion of the draft was something of a chore. Perhaps something like 20 people, 20 bundles and to " get them out of the way early " along with your first pick you could also select your bundle.

I'm game for a draft and i don't mind running it, whenever ( working on setting up the draft database now )

I'd like to participate in one, but don't have time to run one right now. :)

I agree that the mystery box concept should be re-thought at this point. It could maybe re-designed the way Derek describes, or else people could "draft narratives" instead as the primary tools in the mystery boxes.

To go along with the bundles idea, I quite like that you could use narratives to add things to the gameworld as it goes on. If everyone gets some random dates thrown in with their bundles then they can decide when things happen and that would mean we don't have to make much in the way of changes to the default data at all.

One of the reasons I started the boxes was to make the data have some changes to it to cover for the data being advanced by a year. :)

Added suggestion: Can we add dojos and use them to draft future workers? I think it could really help the long-term playability. (And dojos/first refusal contracts are probably my favourite feature, so...)

I would say no to being able to draft existing dojos to promotions as that would be a huge advantage and I can't see a fair way to do it. Dojos as part of a bundle (varying prestige) with worker generation set to be on... that would probably be fair. Some variable help for the future and all. :)

I think maybe a raffle set-up.

Say 20 people in the draft, 20 bundles. But maybe only one positive and one negative in each bundle, otherwise the admin and organization will be much harder to control for whoever is controlling the bundles and for whoever is making the data.

Plus if a minor positive is coupled with a major negative, or vice versa, it will make it much more obvious if you've got an advantage or not, just an idea. :)

Another thing I thought of is having the box/bundle contents given out in private. That way if any trades were to occur it'd be less black and white and alltogether more strategic and hopefully more fun. Though it could lead to no trades happening at all, which from a purist drafters point of view (derek:D) would not be the worst thing.

Dojos as part of a bundle (varying prestige) with worker generation set to be on... that would probably be fair. Some variable help for the future and all. :)

My idea was that you could create your own dojo, we could get rid of the current dojo graduations, and you could draft future workers to come from your own dojo so you got First Refusal on them - so you don't actually draft the House of Stone, or ZEN Temple, but you could get the best shot at getting people like Lucy Stone-McFly and Tommy Cornell Jr in if you were willing to give up current wrestlers for them.

Depending upon when the draft is and my load at work, I'm always interested in drafting. :D

In terms of mystery boxes or bundles, I also feel that the mystery box idea may be best scaled back or done away with. Although it took some work to manage, I actually prefered the idea of a store where people can purchase the types of items found in mystery boxes (regular mystery boxes - not the Super Mystery Boxes), as I generally think of a draft as something where people are able to choose what they want rather than dealing with random luck.

Similarily, I'd prefer the bundle idea be such that while each drafter can only select one bundle, it'd still be something that requires the use of a draft pick to claim. That way if there is a bundle you really want, you have to determine just how high a draft pick you want to use on it or risk having someone else select it. And if there isn't a bundle you want, you don't have to draft one.

But really, I'm pretty much fine with whatever the draft organizer(s) decide.

I really think that if someone doesn't bite the bullet within the next week or so and start a draft then this may end up like the attempted drafts at the tail-end of 08.

Just my view though.

There's clearly interest, but being organised for the draft needs to be done first. NEVER start something without a solid plan first, especially when there are likely to be lots of people taking part. :)

Personally, I think the set up should be:

Pre-set bundles: Each with some advantages and disadvantages. 1 for everyone.

10 written rounds

22 PPA rounds

No need to draft boxes or complicated things... it would be fun to use narratives for things, but I believe they can be part of the bundles. For example, you could get a futureshock bundle that hurts you a little to start with but gives you positive relationships, a future prestige boost and your own home grown dojo. Or another example, lit fuse bundle... where you get a prestige/popularity boost to start with but also gives you 3 guys with low levels of law trouble and 3 with low levels of drug use.

I'm always a fan of making each promotion a little different from each other... but ultimately, I'd rather go back to a simple drafting format. By removing the hassle of using picks for anything except TV deals (which almost everyone should have in their bundles) it makes the whole process easier.

And I'm NOT a fan of drafting future workers as that seems unbalanced... I AM a fan of people actually drafting people with their picks. I'd enforce a rule that you HAVE to have a 28 person minimum roster by the end of the draft (and possible with your picks throughout too :p). Again, keeping it simple.

As for who is running it... as long as it's not me I'm happy. Might have a new job soon so I'll have no chance of running it. But I like to influence things as much as possible. :)

Archived