Belfort out of UFC 112

brashleyholland

It's a shame, we could have got all this "Chael Sonnen: Next UFC MW Champion" nonesense out of the way in the space of a few months :-p

Even if the cuts were cleared, I still think this one would have been pushed back. Soares has made it pretty clear that he has little interest in his guy fighting Chael before an eliminator between Sonnen and Maia.

A) That makes sense, and B) Ed Soares has got what he wants in the past with regards to opponants for Silva. Doesn't hurt having two champions and two potential contenders on the books eh? :)

Chael wont be medically cleared according to Iole from yahoo.

Well, not that it actually matters. They only face possible reprocussions from the NSAC, but they have been on fairly good terms with them so they could reach and under the table agreement not to really mention this in the future.

If I were the UFC or NSAC, I'd have Chael go through a battery of tests, after those are clear and you know his stitches will be out and wound healed prior to April... all systems go. But I'd make sure that both sides are comfortable with the plan first.

But yeah, my point while moot, the NSAC decision actually has no meaning to a fight in Abu Dhabi. Technically.

Well, not that it actually matters. They only face possible reprocussions from the NSAC, but they have been on fairly good terms with them so they could reach and under the table agreement not to really mention this in the future.

The problem is probably more from Chael's point of view. The suspension he's been given only runs to the 24th of March, but it has a 'no contact' stipulation that runs to the 9th of March.

So that would give him what, just over four weeks for a decent camp for the biggest fight of his life. I honestly think that Chael loses to Silva 99 times out of a hundred, but he has a shot at taking him deep and who knows what can happen in a 5 round MMA fight? If I'm Chael, no matter how confident I am, I'm not taking that oppertunity with just four weeks to spar and drill.

But yeah, my point while moot, the NSAC decision actually has no meaning to a fight in Abu Dhabi. Technically

That said, at a time when legislation for MMA in NY is at such a crucial point, I don't think the UFC will want to be seen supporting it's fighters in openly flouncing commission suspensions.

Which is why I said it was moot. And said "technically".

So that would give him what, just over four weeks for a decent camp for the biggest fight of his life.

Just on this note: Chael already said he would be training for the fight if Vitor got injured... and a couple days later... here we are. So, I don't really think it matters to Chael - personally.

Which is why I said it was moot. And said "technically".

Ah right. It seemed like you were saying your point was moot because the NSAC wouldn't have jurisdiction over him fighting in the UAE. Because you were previously talking about tests and under the table deals with the NSAC. (Which wouldn't be needed anyway as his suspensions run out before the fight takes place, but that's neither here nor there)

Technically, adding the word 'technically' to the end of a point doesn't give you carte blanche to say you meant something else. Technically. ;)

Anyway, in a sadistic sort of way I'd be quite happy for him to take the fight on short notice if it reduces his chances of winning. I've never been a massive fan of his fights and his attitude (contrived as it might be sometimes) really rubs me the wrong way. I just can't get on board with the guy. Plus he gave me the worst interview of my life last year...maybe that has something to do with it :p

I doubt Anderson would take the fight with Chael if they offered it to him. The only reason he agreed to fight Belfort is because A) there's bad blood over camp disruptions, etc and B) Belfort has a name in the UFC and he knocked out Anderson's buddy Rich. Sonnen lost to Maia but beat Marquardt, and Marquardt beat Maia... That makes it hard to give Sonnen the title shot since Maia holds a clear strength of victory. So I agree with Ed Soares that Sonnen should get a rematch with Maia, and if he wins that, I think he's probably ready for a shot at the belt.

Silva said he still wants to fight on the show, and he doesn't seem interested in defending the belt against anyone other than Belfort... Wonder who's free at 205?

Archived