Total Championship Wrestling: Tuesday Night Wars

Post-Show Thoughts

Not a lot for thoughts this week. It was a pretty straight-ahead show in terms of matches, and that showed through with most of the predictions being straight-on. The Keith boys loss wasn't about them being too low on the card to take the win there - they have jumped up pretty quick from being associated with daddy - but rather about wanting to establish certain things about them. Same with choosing to use the number one contender tag match as the main event instead of FF-TVC. Though I figured the FF-TVC would grade stronger, it was more of a storyline match and seemed like a weak choice to actually put as a main event.

Weird to realize that I am now into the third month of this game-time. It feels like I just started, to be honest. I am also a bit surprised that I'm managed to maintain a pace of a bit better than a show a week, as I have felt distracted at times (not in a bad way, I guess).

I am curious what the readers thoughts are at this point. Based on any number of things - predictions, comments, views, etc - I have no doubt that people are reading. But I'm curious what people are thinking about how things are unfolding. Likes and dislikes, what is working for you and what isn't.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. At this rate, as you rise in size, Golden's reign will become more and more a liability. B's fine for now, but once you hit a certain point, you main event might have to be B+'s to fend off the SWF, at the very least.

2. The Samoans vs. Burning Pride is fine. The only reason why it didn't grade higher is because of the popularity of the wrestlers involved, I'm guessing. It could have made into a B+.

Not enough Eddie Peak psychotic episodes!! ;):p

seriously things are going good, and only three months into the game there really shouldn't be major changes happening yet. With weekly shows able to flesh out things, a major storyline should go around 3-4 months or so to truly build up the epic 3-4 actual faceoffs for the ppv's, and the first few game months of any diary are really just the booker laying the groundwork for what he wants to do and slowly switching up from what you inherited to where you want to be going with it.

The CGC diary I did is closest in style to this with the weekly show and monthly PPV's and I remember that it probably wasnt until May or June in game months that I finally had a handle on who worked well with whom, who didnt clash, etc and could really start taking off with storylines.

As someone who generally prefers reading diaries for the stories over the booking I'm really digging how things are going; sure you're still laying groundwork but I believe what's going on, I'm enjoying your show layout and always look forward to a new show going up.

In terms of the booking, well, I'm generally happy with a D+ with the promotions I usually use, so I can't really make a fair judgement on how things are going. I'm entertained, and as long as you're maintaining momentum I can't complain.

Keep it up!

I don't think Golden is a liability. Is he the company ace? No, Cornell is, but he's showing himself capable of running with the ball at the top of the card and not causing issues with show quality.

One thing I would suggest is maybe add a "How We Got Here" synopsis for each match. That will give new readers an idea of why guys are fighting one another. You can do it when the matches are announced or as part of the prematch info.

I was interested in doing a TCW diary after reading the first few shows. I like how you are running things and keeping guys involved. The one thing I would try to avoid is falling in love with the new talent at the expense of the rostered talent. Already, the Keiths and the SVC have moved into prominent positions. It's something I struggle with starting up a new fed.

I don't think Golden is a liability. Is he the company ace? No, Cornell is, but he's showing himself capable of running with the ball at the top of the card and not causing issues with show quality.

This is where we will have to disagree. Soon or later (more likely sooner), Golden will run out of opponents better than him. He will most likely (but not definitively) unable to hold anyone else up.

Two, a B main event that Rocky Golden is hardly acceptable, especially at PPV's. Sammy Bach vs. Joshua Taylor pulled that grade. A match between Joey Minnesota and Wolf Hawkins pulled an A.

I'm not chastising Bigpapa42 what's he's doing... it's just that, how Golden is doing is anything but acceptable as a main eventer.

Guest cmdrsam
I'm just sitting here enjoying the ride Bigpappa. Likes, I have to admit once again the smart mark is one of my faves. You show write ups are short, sweet, and to the point. Promo's are done very well as well. Dislikes, mm, no Rip Chord, no Sam Strong. Oh wait aminute, thats mine, Anytime I had a question about something I have asked and you explained yourself very well. To be honest I cant think of a dislike. Just my 2 cents.

Wow, thanks for the responses guys. Just want to say that am I always open to thoughts, suggestions, or even criticisms.

1. At this rate, as you rise in size, Golden's reign will become more and more a liability. B's fine for now, but once you hit a certain point, you main event might have to be B+'s to fend off the SWF, at the very least.

2. The Samoans vs. Burning Pride is fine. The only reason why it didn't grade higher is because of the popularity of the wrestlers involved, I'm guessing. It could have made into a B+.

I obviously won't say when he will drop the belt. But I will say that he won it in August of 2009, so having him carry it all the way through the summer would make a reign of over a year.

As for that tag match, all four guys are solid upper midcarders. So its not really different from having The New Wave vs The Machines in that regard.

Not enough Eddie Peak psychotic episodes!! ;):p

seriously things are going good, and only three months into the game there really shouldn't be major changes happening yet. With weekly shows able to flesh out things, a major storyline should go around 3-4 months or so to truly build up the epic 3-4 actual faceoffs for the ppv's, and the first few game months of any diary are really just the booker laying the groundwork for what he wants to do and slowly switching up from what you inherited to where you want to be going with it.

The CGC diary I did is closest in style to this with the weekly show and monthly PPV's and I remember that it probably wasnt until May or June in game months that I finally had a handle on who worked well with whom, who didnt clash, etc and could really start taking off with storylines.

I have to admit that I did consider making Peak more of an out-of-control menace. I reigned his character in, however, because I didn't want to TCW "environment" to be the kind of place where random attacks go unpunished and people get away with anything. My idea is that Cornell got away with a lot over the years, but because he knew how stay just under the line that would force the Home Office to act.

Thanks D. I do feel like things are just beginning to unfold. It can be tempting to push things faster, but I've held off thus far and don't want to jump the gun on things.

As someone who generally prefers reading diaries for the stories over the booking I'm really digging how things are going; sure you're still laying groundwork but I believe what's going on, I'm enjoying your show layout and always look forward to a new show going up.

In terms of the booking, well, I'm generally happy with a D+ with the promotions I usually use, so I can't really make a fair judgement on how things are going. I'm entertained, and as long as you're maintaining momentum I can't complain.

Keep it up!

Thanks. Its good to hear that the current product is being enjoyed.

One thing I would suggest is maybe add a "How We Got Here" synopsis for each match. That will give new readers an idea of why guys are fighting one another. You can do it when the matches are announced or as part of the prematch info.

I was interested in doing a TCW diary after reading the first few shows. I like how you are running things and keeping guys involved. The one thing I would try to avoid is falling in love with the new talent at the expense of the rostered talent. Already, the Keiths and the SVC have moved into prominent positions. It's something I struggle with starting up a new fed.

I wouldn't go so far as to call Golden a liability... but he really isn't what you need in a champion in TCW. I have managed to protect him pretty decently so far, but it means molding your booking around that protection. A more talented wrestler - not even someone at Cornell's level, but someone like RDJ or Minnesota - wouldn't requite that kind of protection.

I'll try to put a bit more lead-up info into both the preview posts and the shows themselves. Thanks for the suggestion.

And I am trying to avoid getting too focused on the shiny new talent. Its a problem I have often had, and one of the big problems I had when I look back on my Generation Supreme project. My goal is to build a strong TCW using the existing TCW stars as the core, and simply supplementing that with new talent coming in. Don't expect a lot of workers to get the same treatment the Samoans have received so far...

This is where we will have to disagree. Soon or later (more likely sooner), Golden will run out of opponents better than him. He will most likely (but not definitively) unable to hold anyone else up.

Two, a B main event that Rocky Golden is hardly acceptable, especially at PPV's. Sammy Bach vs. Joshua Taylor pulled that grade. A match between Joey Minnesota and Wolf Hawkins pulled an A

I'm not chastising Bigpapa42 what's he's doing... it's just that, how Golden is doing is anything but acceptable as a main eventer.

You are correct that Golden can't carry anyone below him to a good match. He has improved, but he is still below that level. I'm hoping that I'm going to be able to protect him adequately to keep him from dragging things down too much.

I'm just sitting here enjoying the ride Bigpappa. Likes, I have to admit once again the smart mark is one of my faves. You show write ups are short, sweet, and to the point. Promo's are done very well as well. Dislikes, mm, no Rip Chord, no Sam Strong. Oh wait aminute, thats mine, Anytime I had a question about something I have asked and you explained yourself very well. To be honest I cant think of a dislike. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks. I try to keep from getting over-wordy, both on the promos and the matches. Its partly for you readers and partly for me, as it keeps things a bit quicker in terms of writing.

Really liking this so far as your vision for TCW and the talent you bring in is very similar to mine.

Only downpoint is the Minnesota bashing lolz but it is entertaining.

Glad your reading, HH.

I'd say I'd lower the Minnesota bashing levels, but what can I do...? He's stupid Joey Minnesota...

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Media/TCWNewswire.jpg

Total Championship Wrestling Newswire

From TCW.com

Wednesday Week 1, May 2010

The Total Championship Wrestling Home Office released several bits of news today.

The first is that several matches for the coming Total Mayhem 15 at the end of May will be "officially confirmed" next week on TCW Presents Total Wrestling. It would be easy to guess that some of those matches will be the TCW World Tag Team title match between The New Wave and Samoan Violence Unlimited, the TCW World Heavyweight championship rematch between Rick Law and Rocky Golden, and the Final Reckoning cell match between Tommy Cornell and Ricky Dale Johnson. The much-anticipated showdown between Bryan Vessey and Sam Keith is also almost a certainty.

Another piece of information released by the Home Office is that Joey Minnesota and Troy Tornado were both fined for their backstage brawl last week, on the interview set. The monetary amounts of the fines was not released. Last month, Eddie Peak was similarly fined for his attack on former stable-match American Buffalo, who has since left the promotion. The Home Office seems intent on upholding the ideal that such backstage shenanigans simply won't be tolerated.

The final piece of news is that TCW World Heavyweight champion Rocky Golden will be making a rare defense of the title on television next week on Total Wrestling. His opponent was not named but rather hinted at, with the Home Office indicating that it will be someone whom they expect "to make an impact"....

I really like how the diary presents wresting as a sport with a legit Home Office. Also, the relationships: You've created great subtle relationship dynamics (Canadian Animals and Syndicate promos from the last show were awesome...I lost it when Thatcher joined the hug after a pause). I've mentioned before how much I like Law and Tornado's tag relationship.

You describe everything (from matches to facial expressions) really well. I can see the match in my mind by reading your writeups. You make sure to point out what's important with great attention to detail. You use the matches to tell a story, so no match feels pointless. I also enjoy that you reference TCW history when appropriate.

I can't really think of anything bad...I wish there were a new post everyday, but you apparently have to live a life or something. Kidding aside, postings are frequent enough...I'm impressed you're able to create these events as frequently as you have. Great stuff!!

I really like how the diary presents wresting as a sport with a legit Home Office. Also, the relationships: You've created great subtle relationship dynamics (Canadian Animals and Syndicate promos from the last show were awesome...I lost it when Thatcher joined the hug after a pause). I've mentioned before how much I like Law and Tornado's tag relationship.

You describe everything (from matches to facial expressions) really well. I can see the match in my mind by reading your writeups. You make sure to point out what's important with great attention to detail. You use the matches to tell a story, so no match feels pointless. I also enjoy that you reference TCW history when appropriate.

I can't really think of anything bad...I wish there were a new post everyday, but you apparently have to live a life or something. Kidding aside, postings are frequent enough...I'm impressed you're able to create these events as frequently as you have. Great stuff!!

I really agree. I love how you present TCW like a sport. The little things like fines for brawling, a Home Office instead of the typical general manager, officals checking both opponents after the match really makes this an alternative to SWF. This is by far my favorite dynasty and I use elements of this into my own dynasty. Keep Up The Good Work!

I really agree. I love how you present TCW like a sport. The little things like fines for brawling, a Home Office instead of the typical general manager, officals checking both opponents after the match really makes this an alternative to SWF. This is by far my favorite dynasty and I use elements of this into my own dynasty. Keep Up The Good Work!

Thanks guys. Glad you are both reading and enjoying.

Regarding TCW treating things as a fairly legitimate sport, that was definitely an intentional approach. I started putting together the first plans and ideas for this project over a year ago, when I was still running my Generation Supreme diary. I ended up going with an "anything goes" type of environment in that project, simply because I didn't put enough consideration into it. This time around, I watched quite a bit of wrestling from the territorial days, which quite obviously serves as an inspiration in all of those little things on trying to present things as a bit more legit. I've also taken ideas from Japanese wrestling and even from MMA.

As for being able to visualize as you read, that's what I'm hoping for. That's the approach I take as a write, trying to picture the match or promo. I try to make most of the details relevant. I also try to avoid booking matches without any purpose at all... I have the B show for that!

Speaking of which, no B show recap for this week. Basically, I made a huge mess of it when I booked and ended up putting some dark matches on the main card, etc. I should have the preview for the next Total Wrestling up sometime tomorrow.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TCW/Logos/ChroniclesoftheWarVessey.jpg

Preview of TCW Presents Total Wrestling

Tuesday, Week 2, May 2010

With the greatest show in professional wrestling just a few weeks ago, it seems that a great deal will be sorted out for Total Mayhem 15 this week. There is plenty of in-ring action on tap as well, including a rare defense of the TCW World Heavyweight championship on TV.

Life doesn't get much easier for the L.A. Connection duo of Aaron Andrews and Chance Fortune. Last week, the pair faced The Syndicate and didn't fare so well. This week, they take on Rick Law and Troy Tornado, in a match that is unlikely to much easier than last week.

Last week, Samoan Violence Unlimited defeated Burning Pride and established themselves as the number one contenders to The New Wave's TCW World Tag Team championships. It is unknown as of yet whether that match will wait until Total Mayhem 15 or take place prior. Regardless, there will be a preview as Bali So' takes on Scout this week on Total Wrestling.

Acid's exact relationship with Sammy Bach has yet to be determined. The new TCW All Action champion was introduced as one of the "Fall Children", but what exactly does that mean? Don't expect the masked high flier to explain himself, though. Regardless, he will defend his title this week against Harry Allen, who continues to look to establish himself as a singles competitor.

A current tag team competitor, Mikey James of the Cali Dragons, has the unhappy task of taking on Sam Keith. "The Living Legend" has not been in a good mood of late, and that rarely bodes well for his opponents.

It appears that Wolf Hawkins will not get the shot at the TCW World Heavyweight championship that he feels he has earned. That won't make "The Prodigy" happy. He has a tough test ahead of him this week, as he faces fellow former TCW International champion Joshua Taylor.

Another tough match will see "The Kobra" Koshiro Ino face "The Human Arsenal" John Anderson. Ino has been doing quite well of late, winning some big matches. Which makes him a tempting target. He will have a battle on his hands against one half of The Machines.

The main event is something of a mystery. What is known is that Rocky Golden will defend his TCW World Heavyweight championship. What is not known is the other half of the match. As in, who Golden will face. The Home Office has simply repeated the statement that it is someone "they expect will make an impact" but nothing further. It seems unlikely they would try to build up such mystery for a challenger from within Total Championship Wrestling. Then again, it seems odd that they would debut a newcomer with a title shot. Unless its a major name being added, in which case a title shot on pay per view would make more sense than on TV. A mystery indeed...

You won't want to miss out! Tune in on GNN Total Sports!

The L.A. Connection (Aaron Andrews & Chance Fortune) vs Rick Law & Troy Tornado

Bali So' vs Scout

Harry Allen vs Acid

TCW All Action Championship Match

Mikey James vs Sam Keith

Wolf Hawkins vs Joshua Taylor

Koshiro Ino vs John Anderson

??? vs Rocky Golden

TCW World Heavyweight Championship Match

Law and Tornado are too much for L.A. Connection

Bali So' vs Scout

Building the contenters here

Harry Allen vs Acid

Acid isn´t dropping the belt on his fisrt title defence

Mikey James vs Sam Keith

Keith picks up a win here

Wolf is bigger name and thus gets a win

This one could go either way but I like Ino more so I pick him

??? vs Rocky Golden

Interesting to see who the mystery guy is but I doubt there will be a main event title chainge outside a PPV espesially with Golden vs. Law storyline seemingly continuing.

Bali So' vs Scout

Harry Allen vs Acid

Mikey James vs Sam Keith

??? vs Rocky Golden

Bali So' vs Scout

Harry Allen vs Acid

Mikey James vs Sam Keith

??? vs Rocky Golden

Bali So' vs Scout By DQ

Harry Allen vs Acid

Mikey James vs Sam Keith

??? vs Rocky Golden

Bali So' vs Scout

Harry Allen vs Acid

Mikey James vs Sam Keith

??? vs Rocky Golden

No chance for the L.A connection

Bali So' vs Scout

A win here for one of the Samoan's would make the New Wave look even more vunerable as champions

Harry Allen vs Acid

Acid isn't about to drop the title to glorified jobber Harry Allen

Mikey James vs Sam Keith

Poor Mikey's onto a hiding to nothing here

Wolf has moved on past the International belt and he isn't about to lose to the guy who just lost that belt.

Ino seems to be in good form, despite the recent PPV loss to Tornado and Anderson's still being primarily booked as a tag wrestler at this stage.

??? vs Rocky Golden

Mystery man truly is a mystery, as the Home Office feel he his someone who will make an impact but I would very much doubt with the re-match with Law already built up that Golden would lose the title here.

Bali So' vs Scout

Harry Allen vs Acid

Mikey James vs Sam Keith

??? vs Rocky Golden

Bali So' vs Scout

Harry Allen vs Acid

Mikey James vs Sam Keith

??? vs Rocky Golden

Easy pick here

Bali So' vs Scout

I'm going for the draw here - both partners get involved and the ref throws it out

Harry Allen vs Acid

Straightforward 1st defence

Mikey James vs Sam Keith

The only plus here for Mikey will be a boost to his overness and psych!

Wolf all the way

Possible PPV tag match between Burning Pride and the Machines?

??? vs Rocky Golden

I was gonna go with the mystery man (McFly?), but then decided that Law comes out and interferes, giving the champ a DQ win, but keeping ??? strong in the process - a win all round!

One of my favorite pairings gets the easy win.

Bali So' vs Scout

I think the Samoans went over the last time in singles competition, so The New Wave get even here.

Harry Allen vs Acid

Acid looks very strong against Allen. By the way that line about not being a stable, but being an un-stable...brilliant!

Mikey James vs Sam Keith

The Living Legend gives one of the Dragons a lesson.

Hawkins is staying strong. If he gets beat here, he has a hard time laying claim to a title shot.

The Cobra has more of a singles career. I like Rob's call on the future Machines-Burning Pride match.

??? vs Rocky Golden

I'm feeling like you landed someone huge and have changed plans accordingly. Also, my record at predicting here is terrible, so I might as well take the chance. I think it'd be funny if it was McFly since I remember Cornell saying, "McFly ain't walking through that door" in one of the first 'Mark' segments. Could this be why Tommy was so happy in the latest 'Mark?' Angry Gilmore in TCW would be awesome!

Archived