Judy Martin

Wendi Richter

Managers

Diamond Dallas Page

Harley Race

Ox Baker

Sheik Adnan Al-Kaissey

Tag Teams

Badd Company (Pat Tanaka & Paul Diamond)

Destruction Crew (Mean Mike Enos & Wayne Bloom)

The Lumberjacks (Yukon John & Scott Norton)

The Olympians (Brad Rheingans & Ken Patera)

The Top Guns (Derrick Dukes & Ricky Rice)

Staff

Owner: Verne Gagne

Head Booker: Wahoo McDaniel

Booking Crew (includes Owner and Head Booker): Michael Taylor, Greg Gagne, Sgt. Slaughter, Stanley Blackburn, and Larry Zbyszko

Commentary Team: Eric Bischoff & Michael Taylor

Referee(s): Jim Mitchell

Road Agent: Stanley Blackburn

Champions

(As of Tuesday September 2nd, 1989)

AWA World Heavyweight Champion

http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz115/purplecharger88/th_awaworld.jpg

Larry Zbyszko

AWA Tag Team Champions

http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz115/purplecharger88/th_awatag.jpg

Vacant

AWA Television Champion

http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz115/purplecharger88/th_awatv.jpg

Greg Gagne

AWA Women's Champion

http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz115/purplecharger88/awaladies.jpg?t=1267936240

Candi Devine

Injury Report

(As of Monday September 1st, 1989)

Ken Patera-Torn Rotator Cuff (21 days)

I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

The roster looks heavy on guys who a little past their prime - but hopefully they will keep the fans coming in while you build up some future talent.

Jake the Milkman with midcard status!! Maybe he will finally get a big push and win some gold.

Everything Has a Begining

Stanley Blackburn-"Alight everyone, so now that you know what is going on tonight let's have a great show tonight."

Everyone began to break up from the meeting and get ready for the show. I got up from my seat like everyone else and made my way to the broadcast booth with Eric. I hadn't planned on working commentary for AWA but it was a paycheck. Since getting moved to the commentary team with Eric we had become good friends which is good if you have to work together every show. He seemed to also be on good terms with the Gagne's so Eric was a good friend to have thought that wasn't the only reason he was my friend.

Eric Bischoff-"You plan on not talking so fast tonight so I can keep up."

Michael Taylor-"Maybe you should just learn to keep up. I think the fans like that kind of energy."

Eric Bischoff-"If they knew what you were saying."

I rolled my eyes as Mr. Blackburn came up to us.

Stanley Blackburn-"Could I have a moment with you Michael."

Michael Taylor-"Hey Eric, I'll meet you at the booth."

Eric nodded and walk on as I turned back to Mr. Blackburn. I wasn't sure what it was he wanted though in the back of my mind was that he would say I was being put back on the active roster. That was rather doubtful though. I debuted about as well Michael Dukakis' run for President and they had shipped me to train a bit more on my days off. The whole idea of putting me in the announcers booth was to keep me relevant and on TV.

Michael Taylor-"So what is it that you wanted to talk about Mr. Blackburn?"

Stanley Blackburn-"Verne wanted to talk to you after the show."

Michael Taylor-"Thanks for letting me know. I'll make sure to catch up with him."

Maybe I was wrong. Maybe I was getting put back on the active roster. Eric looked at me funny as I made my way to the announcers table with a grin on my face.

Eric Bischoff-"What's with you?"

Michael Taylor-"I'll tell you when I figure out if it's good or not."

Promoted Card for Monday September the 1st, 1989

Main Event-Singles Match

Baron Von Raschke vs. Sgt. Slaughter

#1 Contendership for the AWA World Title

Singles Match

Hector Guerrero vs. Greg Gagne

AWA TV Title Match

Singles Match

Candi Devine vs. Wendi Richter

Non-Title Women's Match

I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

The roster looks heavy on guys who a little past their prime - but hopefully they will keep the fans coming in while you build up some future talent.

That's what I'm hoping. It would probably make for a short Dynasty if I didn't. :D

I agree with the other picks.

Sarge, Gagne, Wendy

Sarge vs Baron could be good. They were actually allies at one time in the AWA. Larry and Sarge also feuded the America's title - and it was said that Slaughter just didn't seem to have the same edge against Amercians as he did against foriegn wrestlers. Time will tell.

Who will be the youngster that joins the Cobra Corps

Main Event-Singles Match

Baron Von Raschke vs. Sgt. Slaughter

#1 Contendership for the AWA World Title

Singles Match

Hector Guerrero vs. Greg Gagne

AWA TV Title Match

Singles Match

Non-Title Women's Match

http://i819.photobucket.com/albums/zz115/purplecharger88/th_pro7-3.gif

AWA All Star Wrestling

From the Roy Wilkins Auditorium

Attendance: 5,000 SELL OUT!

[The show opens with Michael Taylor and Eric Bischoff behind the announcers table at ringside.]

Michael Taylor-“Welcome ladies and gentlemen, wrestling fans young and old, from the United States and Canada to another exciting addition of AWA All Star Wrestling from Roy Wilkins Auditorium. I’m Michael Taylor and with me as always tonight is Eric Bichoff.

Eric Bischoff-“Another exciting addition indeed partner. Tonight we have a stacked card. Greg Gagne will defend his AWA TV title against Hector Guerrero and of course the main event, Sgt. Slaughter against Baron Von Raschke with the winner getting a shot at Larry Zbyszko’s AWA World Heavyweight Title.

Michael Taylor-“But first we have an announcement from AWA Commissioner Stanley Blackburn. He’s in the ring right now.”

[The camera changes view and Commissioner Blackburn can be clearly seen in the ring.]

Commissioner Blackburn-“Tonight, I had to make a very tough decision. With Ken Patera out for three weeks due to injury, The Olympians are not able to currently defend there AWA Tag Team titles. We have many talented athletes that deserve a shot at this title. That is why tonight I’m going to vacate the AWA Tag Team Championship. The Olympians will have a shot at the title once both members are able to compete. Next week we will have a Four Corners Tag Team match between Badd Company, Destruction Crew, The Lumberjacks, and The Top Guns for the vacant AWA Tag Team titles and as a preview of that match Destruction Crew will take on Badd Company here later tonight.

[The crowd is rather mixed about the development as Commissioner Blackburn leaves the ring and the arena.]

Michael Taylor-“A rather shocking turn of events for the AWA here tonight.”

Eric Bischoff-“Not only that but for The Olympians. They are no longer the Champions. For what it’s worth I think they just got had.”

Wendi Richter def. Candi Devine at 8:19 via Pinfall in a solid Women’s Match

[After the match Richter is handed a mic.]

Wendi Richter-“Tonight, I just defeated the AWA Women’s Champion one on one, the person who is the best women in the AWA. So tonight, I challenge you, Candi Devine, to a title match next week. If you are the best you should have no problem beating me.”

[Candi Devine gets her own mic to answer Richter.]

Candi Devine-“I didn’t get to where I am just because of good looks or a fluke match with someone. I got to where I am because I am consistently the best. So if it’s a fight you want next week I’ll be ready for it.

Eric Bischoff-“That should be an interesting match next week.”

Michael Taylor-“An interesting week indeed. Already two title matches on the card. We’ll be back with Jerry Lynn vs. The Trooper after this commercial brake.

[Commercial break from the department of redundancy department.]

[back from the break, Jerry Lynn and The Trooper are already in the ring ready to go.]

Jerry Lynn def. The Trooper at 7:52 via pinfall in a below average match.

Michael Taylor-“Quite a match we just saw there folks as Jerry Lynn picks up the win.”

Eric Bischoff-“Indeed, Jerry Lynn looks like a future star out there.”

Michael Taylor-“Before our next match gets underway though Lee Marshall is backstage with Sgt. Slaughter. Lee.”

[The camera changes and we see Lee Marshell backstage, with mic in hand, in front of a white brick wall with the AWA logo on it. Beside him is Sgt. Slaughter.]

Lee Marshell-“Thank you, Michael. Sgt. Slaughter, tonight you take on Baron von Raschke for a shot at the AWA World Heavyweight Title. What are your thoughts about tonight’s match?”

Sgt. Slaughter-“Tonight I’m doing what I’ve always done, and that is teach these scummy slime balls what it is to fight in the AWA. They are like the new blood at Boot Camp. They all have their idea of what the Marians are like. Some think they can bend the rules. Some think they are tough. They all come to the Drill Sergeant. They are all broken until they become men. Tonight I will break Baron von Raschke and after that I’ll break Larry Zbyszko because they aren’t men yet. They haven’t learned what it means to be wrestlers in the AWA. They have no honor. Tonight I will bring honor back to the AWA.”

Lee Marshell-“Thank you, Sarge. Back to you Michael and Eric.”

Michael Taylor-“Well, sounds like Sergeant Slaughter is ready for his match tonight. I sure hope Baron von Raschke is.”

Eric Bischoff-“With a chance to take on the AWA World Heavyweight Champion, I would think so.”

Michael Taylor-“Either way it’s time for our next match.”

Destruction Crew def. Badd Company at 10:58 via Pinfall by Mean Mike Enos on Pat Tanaka in a ok match.

Michael Taylor-“With action like that I can’t wait till next week’s four courners tag team match for the AWA Tag Team title.”

Eric Bischoff-“I’m sure everyone is , but it’s time for the AWA Television title match.”

Michael Taylor-“That is right both men are in the ring right now so lets go straight to the match.”

Greg Gagne def. Hector Guerrero at 12:23 via pinfall to retain the AWA Television title in a solid match.

Michael Taylor-“Greg Gagne is still champion and celebrating a well deserved victory.”

Eric Bischoff-“Here comes Commissioner Blackburn though.”

[Commissioner Blackburn makes his way down to the ring and gets in with a mic in his hand.]

Commissioner Blackburn-“I’d like to congratulate you Greg on your victory and the success you have been having here in the AWA. You’ve done such a great job as champion we’ve had a hard time coming up with challengers for you. That’s why we are going to have a series of qualifying matches in the coming weeks for a Gauntlet match for the AWA Television Title.”

[Commissioner Blackburn walks to the back as Greg Gagne looks at the title in his hands thinking about the challenge that he will have to face after the qualifying matches are done before heading to the back.]

Michael Taylor-“Well that is a definite change of events for the current AWA Television Champion.”

Eric Bischoff-“No doubt, a grueling Gauntlet match for the title. I guess we will see soon what kind of a competitor Greg Gagne is soon enough.”

Michael Taylor-“We will indeed. When we return it will be Wahoo McDaniel against Nikita Koloff and the Main Event, Sergeant Slaughter taking on Baron Von Raschke, stay tuned.”

[Commercial Break]

Michael Taylor-“Welcome back to AWA All Star Wrestling as we are ready for our next match, Wahoo McDaniel going one on one with Nikita Koloff.”

Wahoo McDaniel def. Nikita Koloff at 13:29 via submission in a solid match.

Michael Taylor-“Another great match by Wahoo McDaniel as he picks up the win.”

Eric Bischoff-“The man is one of the best in the business today. Next is the main event but before we have that match Lee Marshall is in the back with AWA World Heavyweight Champion, Larry Zbyszko.”

[The camera switches over to Lee Marshall who is in the locker room with Larry Zbyszko.]

Lee Marshall-“Larry Zbyszko, earlier tonight I spoke with Sergeant Slaughter. He basically said that people like you in the AWA you have no honor and that you aren’t a man. What do you have to say about that?

Larry Zbyszko-“I’m not a man, huh? He said that?

Lee Marshall-“Yes he did?”

Larry Zbyszko-“He said the AWA World Heavyweight Champion, the man on top of ALL the wrestlers in the AWA, isn’t a man. Let me tell you something Sarge. I am the AWA. There is nobody in this company that can match with me. That is why I’m the champion that is why I have this belt. You think I’m not a man. You do your thing with Raschke and I’ll be glad to show you that I’m not a man I’m THE man.”

[Larry Zbyszko storms out of the locker room leaving Lee Marshall in the locker room.]

Lee Marshall-“Well you heard it from Larry Zbyszko. He is the man. Back to you Michael and Eric.”

Michael Taylor-“The angry man from the way it looks. If I was Sergeant Slaughter I would keep an eye out for Zbyszko.”

Eric Bischoff-“As much as I agree, he has to stay focused on the match at hand.”

Michael Taylor-“True enough. Well it’s time for the Main Event. Both men are in the ring and ready to go. #1 contendership on the line this should be a classic match.”

Sergeant Slaughter def. Baron Von Raschke at 18:01 via submission in a great match.

Michael Taylor-“What a great victory for Sergeant Slaughter! He has won the chance to take on the AWA World Heavyweight Champion.”

Eric Bischoff-“ Speaking of Zbyszko here he comes and he looks to have bad intentions on his mind.”

[As Sergeant Slaughter is celebrating his win. Larry Zbyszko comes up from behind and lays out. With Slaughter dazed and confused Zbyszko tosses him over the top rope and down to the floor below. Zbyszko shows off a bit before going out of the ring to continue his assault on Slaughter. Slaughter then tries to fight back but Zbyszko counters and sends Slaughter into the ring post.]

Larry Zbyszko-“I’m not a man, huh! Get up!”

Michael Taylor-“Zbyszko is destroying Slaughter.”

Eric Bischoff-“I’m sure some people are finding some irony in that.”

Michael Taylor-“Regardless someone needs to stop this!”

[Crew members come from backstage to break up the fight as Sergeant Slaughter is tended to.]

Michael Taylor-“Well that is a dramatic way to end tonight’s show. For Eric Bischoff, I’m Michael Taylor. Good night everyone.

Overall Show Grade: C+

Show Viewership Rating: 1.02

Total Watched (Arena attendance plus Show Viewership): 56,000

BHK1978 3/3

smurphy1014 3/3

olympia 3/3

Destiny 2/3

Nobody Likes Suprizes

With the show over I made my way over to Verne's Office. Standing in front of the door I wasn't sure what to expect when I got in there. I took a deep sigh and opened the door. I was a bit surprised to see it wasn't Verne in there but his son Gene and Eric too.

Gene Gagne-"Good to see you dropped in before my father did."

Michael Taylor-"Why is that? Is there something I should know about?"

Gene Gagne-"I'm trying to pitch something and you and Eric are going to help me."

Michael Taylor-"Why me?"

Gene Gagne-"It's not exactly a big secret that AWA is struggling. You and Eric are going to help me try and convince my dad to do some changes. Just small ones. Once we can get away with."

Michael Taylor-"Like...?"

Before I could get an answer out of Gene his father had arrived. Verne shut the door behind him before going to his desk.

Verne Gagne-"You wanted to speak to me about something Gene."

Gene Gagne-"Yes I was thinking about how the company is currently. Since Eric is good with marketing and Michael is rather young and understands what people his age are looking for in wrestling I was thinking that the two of them could do some research for us that could make us more competitive with the WWF."

Verne Gagne-"I don't see how that could hurt. Just so long as you remember that the AWA is about wrestling first. We are not an entertainment company we are a wrestling company. That may fly up north but not here in the Mid-West. Understood."

Michael Taylor-"Completely, sir."

Verne Gagne-"I'll give you three a week. Will have a meeting with the booking committee after our next show to discuss what you find out."

Gene Gagne-"Thank You, dad. I'll keep you informed till then."

I didn't know much about what was going on as we all left. Gene said he would get in touch with me and Eric tomorrow. I didn't know if I was getting myself into deep water or not. All I knew was it was going to be a long day tomorrow.

Promoted Card for Monday September 7th, 1989

Main Event-Four Corners Tag Team Match

Badd Company vs. Destruction Crew vs. The Lumberjacks vs. The Top Guns

For the AWA Tag Team Championship

Singles Match

Sgt. Slaughter vs. Col. DeBeers

Singles Match

Jake Milliman vs. Curtis Hughes

AWA Television Title Gauntlet Match Qualifier

Singles Match

Women's Title Match

Good diary so far, good to see someone taking on the challenge of the AWA

I'm plumping for:

Promoted Card for Monday September 7th, 1989

Main Event-Four Corners Tag Team Match

Badd Company vs. Destruction Crew vs. The Lumberjacks vs. The Top Guns

For the AWA Tag Team Championship

Singles Match

Sgt. Slaughter vs. Col. DeBeers

Singles Match

Jake Milliman vs. Curtis Hughes

AWA Television Title Gauntlet Match Qualifier

Singles Match

Women's Title Match

• 2 weeks later...

The Plan

The three of us, Gene, Eric, and me decided to meet up at my place the next day. I still wasn't sure why I was there. I could understand maybe if Gene was cooking something up he might want someone like Eric around. He was a solid business man. He worked marketing for AWA and Gene had pull in AWA as the boss' son but me? I'd only been with the company for maybe a year. Maybe my friendship with Eric was paying of but if so what reason would Gene trust me. All of us were in my small apartment living room.

Gene Gagne-"Thanks for letting us use your house for the meet up, Michael."

Michael Taylor-"Heh, I'll call it a house when my living room isn't also my dining room and kitchen."

Eric Bischoff-"Eh, better to live with what you can afford."

Michael Taylor-"Fair enough."

Gene Gagne-"So where do you want to start. I'm all ears."

Michael Taylor-"Well..."

Monday September 7th 1989 - Mid Afternoon - Booking Committee Meeting

Michael Taylor-"Our general idea is simple. We need to create something that is unique from the WWF but also can be seen as competitive with it."

Eric Bischoff-"First off were going to have to improve the production values of our show. It's going to cost more but it will make us look more profesional compared to the WWF."

Verne Gagne-"How much would that cost?"

Gene Gagne-"We talked with the folks at ESPN and they would be able to loan us there staff for our tapings. It would be cheaper than if we trained our own crew. They should have a group ready for our next show. The production equipment is going to be a bit pricey though."

Verne Gagne-"We'll see about the production equipment then. We need to keep things affordable."

Michael Taylor-"We also should bring back the Light Heavyweight Championship."

Verne Gagne-"Why? It never was really that popular."

Michael Taylor-"No offense, but it was because you didn't take it seriously. If we added it back it would give us something that fans could get excited about, if taken seriously. The younger crowed would defiantly like the more fast paced action."

Stanley Blackburn/B]-"And how do you suggest we take it seriously?"

Michael Taylor-"We have a round robin tournament for it. This way we can evaluate which wrestlers are worth keeping and which ones we can trash."

Eric Bischoff-"That is also why we should plan something like a World Wrestling Cup. It will allow us to evaluate talent and get them a chance to ride with the big boys on our roster. It would also give us an event that would make us stand out."

Verne Gagne-"Fine then. I'll put you two in charge of those two events then. If it sinks or swims is on you. Also Gene will be in charge of the talent hiring. He knows what I want and what we can afford. After the upcoming PPV is over with we can start the tournament for the title."

After hearing that I was fairly sure he was thinking it would sink. I'm sure Gene could help us but seeing as he didn't put the whole booking staff behind it made it seem like if it failed the blame could be put on us and if it did then we'll that is a nice surprise. I guess here goes nothing.

Archived